: TACOMA 97 V6 LX MOD advice needed

ifly737
02-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey everyone!

I am newbie here on this forum. I have a 97 4X4 V6 LX extra cab with only 48K. I want to spruce it up a bit. With a budget of about $1500-$2000 what do you recommend upgrading on this truck????? My intentions are to go off-roading a couple times a month. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most extreme off-road driving (boulder climbing - mud bogger) and 1 being, "dang I got my tires dirty." I would rate my future driving as a #5. This truck is not a TRD model. :welder: :confused:

I would appreciate any advice from you folks to enhance my trucks abilities!!!!

SilverTaco
02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
2 1/2 in OME Lift up front with some 1 1/2 lift shackles in the rear www.wheelersoffroad.com
If you plan on adding a winch/bumper later go with some adjustable coil overs as the OME lift will sag with the extra weight...Donahoe,SAW,Fabtech are some popular brand listed from Best($950) to budget($500) with a few in between those prices.....

Also some 32 11.50 M/T preferably BFG's....they are the best on road offroad tire IMO

This will allow you do do everything you want.

ByrdDog20
02-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you found my truck. I looked for several months for your truck, most had a jillion miles or were up in New Hampshire where I was concerned about rust. Found a great 2000 with 93k that rides and drives like new.

My 2 cents, start with a deck plate mod and maybe tires depending on where you off road. I plan on the TRD limited slip for the rear, seen it on here for $199 in the box.

Gotta wait for any more mods, as I am a displaced RJ driver.

YoTRacer158
02-09-2005, 07:34 PM
i have donahoe extended coilovers w/ camburg UCA's, 1.5" shackles w/ bilstein 5100's and 32x11.5r15 BFG MT's on mine. the coilovers are great for high speed stuff, and give a little more ground clearance for slower stuff. paid about $1700 for everything, but if you got the regular coilovers w/out UCA's it would be about $400-500 cheaper. you might also want to throw a locker in the rear as well.

tanKoma
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
just start out with the basics, coilovers, add a leaf/shackle, get the feel and experience from small lifts, then ull develop a more strategic mind when off roading, then use the rest for utility stuff, winch, tools, etc. take the slower approach and plan out what ur going to do

Mike
02-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey everyone!

I am newbie here on this forum. I have a 97 4X4 V6 LX extra cab with only 48K. I want to spruce it up a bit. With a budget of about $1500-$2000 what do you recommend upgrading on this truck????? My intentions are to go off-roading a couple times a month. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most extreme off-road driving (boulder climbing - mud bogger) and 1 being, "dang I got my tires dirty." I would rate my future driving as a #5. This truck is not a TRD model. :welder: :confused:

Lockers and rock sliders!

Later,
....Mike

WILD YOTE
02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I put 3" suspension lift (cornfed), 3" body lift(perf. acc.) on my truck. That gives me enough room to clear 33X12.50X15 's on 15x8 wheels. All that ran me about $1000-$1200 bucks. I did all the work my self though so no labor is included in that figure. If you've got some cash left over I would focus on protection like heavy duty skid plates, rock sliders, bumpers, etc... If your'e only planning on going once or twice a month like me you don't need a solid axle swap, dual rockwell axles, & a crawler case ya da ya da. With that said wheeling is like crack, you'll get more and more addicted and spend more and more money on it. If you have any other ?'s lemme know.

camaddy
02-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey everyone!

Welcome! Seriously, just start out by hitting the trails! Once you find what kind of stuff you like, then you can mod accordingly. I have found that I'm more into forest service roads and camping...to each his own. If your looking for a lift, look into a 2.5-3" spacer lift in the front and an add a leaf in the back with some 32x11.5" tires to start off with. The possiblilties are endless from there!

Jamier2
02-09-2005, 08:17 PM
I got the Cornfed 3" and some 32x11.50 tires. I would definitely say get some sliders. I went wheeling once (probably near to the limits of my truck) and I crunched my drivers side rocker panel. Not real bad, but some cheap sliders would have kept my truck the cherry that it was. Oh well, live and learn - sliders are the next thing I'm buying.

FlipSideUp
02-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Protection: Stubbs sliders off of EBay: do not bid above $190. So with shipping it'll be $250 max

Suspension: Used SAWs about $425 + AAL (less than $100) + rear shocks (adjustable ones will help w/ the AALs) $175

ARB Locker w/ Air Comp. should bring you in just at 2 grand (not incl. labor).

At least that's the plan of attack for my '97 LX.