TTORA Forum banner

Dell Server p4 2.8GHz ~$300

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  webcobra@gmail 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit- Looks like the deal is gone as of midnight 2/10/05

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_servers?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

This is a new replacement for the SC400
Customize SC420 on the left
This setup has great potential as a 2nd comp/upgrade/small server
Plus No rebates to deal with

By the time you add up individual parts to build your own box
Case/ PS
P4 2.8GHZ & MB
256 MB DDR2
Upgrade to 80GB SATA HD ($10) or 160GB SATA ($60)
KB & Mouse

Throw in a PCI Vid (It comes with built in vid) & Sound Card
And you've got a pretty decent system for the price

#3 ·
Mike said:
Holy crap, that's a sweet deal! I just ordered one for a second machine. Free shipping too! :D

Later,
....Mike
Glad I could help liberate your cash from your wallet

#4 ·
grillmasterp said:
Glad I could help liberate your cash from your wallet
Got this thing all set up running Fedora, it's fawking awesome for around 3 bills!

Thanks again for the heads up!

Later,
....Mike

#6 ·
CronusTRD said:
Last year, they were selling the 400sc (previous model) for $279 and it has an 8x AGP
Yup- they phased out the 400Sc - but $279 was after rebate if I recall correctly
Not only did it have AGP, but more SATA & USB as well
Had friends that were able to get Dell to buy back the HArd Drive & Ram - so they got it down to less :)

I've actually passed on both systems due to the fact that the $300 purchase will force me to prematurely retire my current 2.4Ghz system as a "back up", and I'll end up buying new HD, More Memory etc and spending more money

#7 ·
Mike said:
Holy crap, that's a sweet deal! I just ordered one for a second machine. Free shipping too! :D

Later,
....Mike
Mike, I am considering this server. Do you think I can use this as a desktop? The site says no, since you have one, can you tell me if it comes with usb, video card ...etc? I also have windows 2000 server, can I buy this and make it work as my desktop instead of a server?

Thanks,
Ben

#8 ·
webcobra@gmail said:
Mike, I am considering this server. Do you think I can use this as a desktop? The site says no, since you have one, can you tell me if it comes with usb, video card ...etc? I also have windows 2000 server, can I buy this and make it work as my desktop instead of a server?

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben. I dunno why they say it can't be a desktop. It doesn't have an AGP slot, so I just bought a decent PCI video card to put in there. It does have USB.

Later,
....Mike

#10 ·
webcobra@gmail said:
More ques... what are you using as an OS? How about printer, does it have the socket for it.
Yes, it has a parallel port. I'm running Fedora Core 3. I was dual booting with Windows XP and Fedora, but then decided that was a waste since I have a dedicated XP machine for games and stuff.

Later,
....Mike

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.