TTORA Forum banner

FJ siezed rear axle, what a drag.

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  helocat 
#1 ·
2 days ago i was headed out to a fun wheeling spot (Ironwood National Monument) and see this nice green 1977 FJ broke down in the middle of the road. being the good samaritan i am, i stopped and asked if he needed help. his driveshaft was laying on the ground and he said his rear end locked up. he was SOL and stuck.
so, i drug him off the road to assess the damage.

we decide that it's fawked, and he asks if i can drag him to his house, which isn't that far away. he isn't too worried about messing up the axle and tires because he was about to swap out both axles and lift it.
so, the fun begins!

talk about making a racket! his tires squealing like crazy, some nasty metal grinding sounds....it sounded cool when his tires blew. lol

and then it got real fun when i had to drag him down a dirt road to his house.

i told him about TTORA, he should be checking in sometime soon.

See less See more
#11 ·
Great job. Where in Tucson are you located? Directions to Ironwood if you could please, but I'll search as well. I'm up in CR.

#12 ·
you beat me to it! my front diff looked identical when my pinion shit the bed!

#13 ·
AZTaco said:
Directions to Ironwood if you could please, but I'll search as well. I'm up in CR.
Ironwood National Monument is a 129k acre park; it is directly west of the Tucson Mountain range.

i'm comming from the SE (i19/ west on valencia), so i take all back roads. :)
there are lots of ways in, the only one i've gone is.....west on 86 (Ajo Way), take a right (north) on S. Sandario Rd., left (west) on Mile Wide Rd. (where pics were taken), right (north) on Reservation (dirt road), left (west) on Manville Rd and follow that down to the gate.
make sure you close the gate behind you, and have fun. dirt/sandy trails that lead off to no where for days!

you could make it alot easier if you head west on Speedway and follow that road once it turns into W. Gates Pass Rd., right on N. Kinney, left on W. Mile Wide.
make sure you have good brakes! lol. that range is steeeep!

last time i went- i had to air down to 15psi and ALMOST still didn't make it out. it was hella fun! LOTS of desert to explore.

sorry for the long ass directions.
hit me up if you wanna head out there!

#14 ·
SurfingDrunk said:
Ironwood National Monument is a 129k acre park; it is directly west of the Tucson Mountain range.

i'm comming from the SE (i19/ west on valencia), so i take all back roads. :)
there are lots of ways in, the only one i've gone is.....west on 86 (Ajo Way), take a right (north) on S. Sandario Rd., left (west) on Mile Wide Rd. (where pics were taken), right (north) on Reservation (dirt road), left (west) on Manville Rd and follow that down to the gate.
make sure you close the gate behind you, and have fun. dirt/sandy trails that lead off to no where for days!

you could make it alot easier if you head west on Speedway and follow that road once it turns into W. Gates Pass Rd., right on N. Kinney, left on W. Mile Wide.
make sure you have good brakes! lol. that range is steeeep!

last time i went- i had to air down to 15psi and ALMOST still didn't make it out. it was hella fun! LOTS of desert to explore.

sorry for the long ass directions.
hit me up if you wanna head out there!
any good places to ride dirtbikes/camp?

#18 ·
SurfingDrunk said:
make sure you close the gate behind you
Or I'll let all the Javalina's out? :)

Thanks. I'll have to take a closer look. I ride my road bike out there (somewhat). I ride up and down Sandario, depending if I head to Avra Valley or Ina or farther.

#20 ·
LilJohn said:
Pinion snapped... when it broke, ate the ring and froze it ;) "Common" failure.

As for dropping the third, slight issue with C-clip axle shafts... no third, shafts slide out especially since he isn't running a disc conversion in back ;)
Pinion didnt look broke, it looks like the pinion nut came off, under a load (forward) the pinion stays where it needs to be with a loose (missing) nut under decelleration or trying to back up it screws down into the housing and grabs the carrier and pow it locks up. You could have pulled the rear cover, pulled the shafts and carrier removed the pinion and put it back together w/o the pinion and it would have rolled just fine. Pretty FJ-40 though I wish I owned it.

#21 ·
I'm glad I got the Disk brake conversion after looking at this. I could pull the gears and drive home in front wheel drive.

Oh yeah his bezel is upside down.

#22 ·
BigMudTruk said:
Pinion didnt look broke, it looks like the pinion nut came off, under a load (forward) the pinion stays where it needs to be with a loose (missing) nut under decelleration or trying to back up it screws down into the housing and grabs the carrier and pow it locks up. You could have pulled the rear cover, pulled the shafts and carrier removed the pinion and put it back together w/o the pinion and it would have rolled just fine. Pretty FJ-40 though I wish I owned it.
Bingo. Thing to do. That or back up all the way home so the ring gear can not grab the pinon head! Have helped do a number of these when someone snaps a course spline pinion (1977 on down) on the trail.

Nice of you to help!

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.