: need a reasonable mechanic or a member willing to assist

fondigley
09-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I have worn lower ball joints and worn upper and lower control arm bushings on my 2001 Tacoma. I checked and my truck is not covered under the recall for the lower ball joints. I will also need a tire balance and alignment after those are replaced. I have some skills and an air compressor with some tools, but don't have a press. I recently helped my brother replace his rear wheel bearings on his 99 Tacoma, when I was back in West Virginia and not having a press was a pain, but we got it done.

So the stealership, said no go for the recall and estimated the cost to be about a grand. It sounds like at least half of that is for labor. It is kind of dissapointing since they say that both of these problems are rare. I am located in Boulder (Gunbarrel), and would appreciate any help you all may have.

sexy.taco
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
You don't need a press for the ball joints or control arms. I have a very worn but still working tool I used specifically for the 50J recall. If you want you can use it. The control arms are a little more involved but still pretty easy...

RedRunnertc
09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I have one of those 2jaw ball joint "presses" that I just used to replace the steering relay rod (again). You can't be too far from Molly if you're in gunbarrel...

When do you want to do it?

DriftinCO
09-11-2006, 11:49 PM
One or more of our members are Toyota techs...contact me for details.

fondigley
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the input. Yeah I have been thinking and plan to do it myself, it can't be too hard. So I was thinking of working on it not this weekend but next. A little more time for net research and gathering the tools and parts needed.

I could have sworn I read an article on how the bushings had to be pressed into the control arms, but I guess I could be wrong. If they do, I am just gonna take them to a shop real quick to have that done and do all the other labor myself.

I really appreciate all the kindness and volunteering of tools. I will get back to you all later this week after I gain a little more knowledge of what I really need.

RedRunnertc
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Look around for an online copy of the FSM. I think Mike (in NorCal) has posted several.

tat2dguy01
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/

fondigley
09-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I am getting ready to order the bushings and lower ball joints. Does anyone have a good website or local place that you like?

RedRunnertc
09-18-2006, 12:35 PM
For factory parts, you can't beat trdparts4u. They are big supporters of TTORA.

sexy.taco
09-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I am getting ready to order the bushings and lower ball joints. Does anyone have a good website or local place that you like?
I could get the ball joints easily... but if your doing the bushings that's a lot more involved. But if they are going to charge you extra for the ball joints I'll throw them in... that's gravy work

fondigley
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I am preparing a list of tools and parts that I need to complete this job tonight from net articles and the manual. If anyone has done this job or is a tech, that could give a little input on all the stuff required for this, I would really appreciate this.

Redrun, thanks I have checked them out. Think I seen them on Yotatech too.

Sexy(dot), Did I read a while back that you are a tech? I would like to know more. And yes I am planning on replacing the lower ball joints and control arm bushings. How can you help me by throwing in the ball joints.

Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise people.

sexy.taco
09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah I was a tech all that while ago... lol! Anyhow, I've done more than my fair share of 50J recalls. You need a pair of pliers for the cottor pins, a 14mm socket with a short extension for the 4 bolts that hold the lower control arm to the ball joint. You'll also need I believe a 22 and 24mm for the castle nuts on the lower ball joint and tie rod. And the ball joint seperater tool, like I said I have one if you want it. The new ball joints should come with new cottor pins. The torque spec on the lower ball joint castle nut I believe is somewhere around 115 ft lbs. Torque this with a toque wrench, that ball joints takes a lot of stress... And to get the exact torque spec call a dealership and ask for a tech... they should know this by heart... like I used to!! If you need for info let me know...

fondigley
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Ok, so I got a lot of good info on getting the lower ball joints fixed, but what about the control arm bushings? First question, will the same upper control arm bushings fit 2wd and 4wd models? I have only seen the 2wd uppers online.