: Don't you just hate it when

99TanTaco
09-16-2006, 07:08 PM
your tires fall off

After last weekend's blingfest I was craving for some actual wheeling so I made the decision last night that the best way to celebrate my B-day (today, yes you slackers missed it) would be to go wheeling. I found a couple of guys from HOF who were going and hooked up with them.

I guess the 1st clue that it was going to be a rough day was when I pulled out of the gas station leaving my fresh cup of coffee on the roof. Next when I went to air down I discovered one of my front tires has been leaking (it was down from 35 to 20 prior to airing down). From there I popped out and cracked my pass side tailight and added another dent to my bed on the same tree that got Troy's window. Next up the tire that had been leaking popped the bead and we were unable to re-seat it so we had to put my spare on

Ok, nothing to serious yet but it gets better. Some of you have heard me mention the play/wobble in my steering, so as I'm in the main creek bed heading from the Chicken Coop area toward Sturgiss I noticed my steering seemed really loose. I climb Sturgiss no prob and pull off to the side, once our group got up there we decided to go explore on foot what happens if you keep going straight. We found a nice rocky hill a short ways up and went back to get our vehicles as I'm heading for the hill (mind you this trail gets pretty rough) I hang my dri side front tire in the air as I'm coming over a rock as it's coming down I hear a pop (BTW I'm barely creeping along) once it's down I try to continue forward but for some reason it's acting like I'm up against something. So I attempt to open my door to get out to see if I'm up against a rock or log. Door only opens about 6", so I look out the window and nothings in the way of the door, I look up toward the front and notice my front tire is at like a 30deg vert angle to the rest of the truck and sticking out quite aways. this ain't good. The tire has also crumpled the fender which is why the door won't open

We look under the truck and see that the lower ball joint is no longer attached to the hub/rotor and begin to panic figuring that it has sheared off and I would not be able to locate one before nightfall (since leaving vehicles to get parts is pretty risky at Wellsville). We finally figure out a way to raise my vehicle to assess the damage utilizing a high lift and a couple of bottle jacks (mind you this had to happen on an incline, in a groove and nearly high centered on the dri side slider) apparently the four bolts that hold the lower BJ worked themselves loose somehow, 2 of them were gone completly, 1 had sheared off but was loose and we were able to remove it with a pair of vise grips, and the fourth also sheared off, appeared to be loose but there wasn't enough to grab with the vise grips. Luckily I had saved the old bolts from when I had changed that ball joint last fall and we were able to get it back together with 3 out of 4 bolts

Once it was back together we decided 3 bolts was still enough to wheel with so we kept going and I immediately proceeded to smack my pass side mirror into a tree but other than that I managed to wheel for the last few hours without breaking anything and was able to drive home :)

And no I didn't get any pics, sorry

NEV2DEP
09-16-2006, 07:23 PM
:eek: Hole shit dude sorry i missed all the well?sorry i missed it.I kinda understand your ealier post about the chance of damage wheeling wells 2 weekends in a row now.And to think i was just a little bummed about tagging my lower bed side at on&off RD.Glad ya made it out.

99TanTaco
09-16-2006, 07:37 PM
me too, I'm just glad this happened on the trail (low speed) as opposed to on the highway and I had a couple of awesome guys there to help me out, Rich aka Orangecrush on HOF was under my truck, laying in a stream of water trying to figure out how to fix it before I was even able to get out of the truck and stayed under it till we finished it :) We did find some cool harder trails I'll have to get you out on sometime

RedRunnertc
09-16-2006, 11:12 PM
:eek: you and I haven't been too lucky on our last few runs out there... glad to hear you're OK and got the truck runable.

How bad is the fender?

OFRD_GRL
09-16-2006, 11:25 PM
holy crazy day terry.... glad your alright *hugs*

:D

that just means *knock on wood* all the carnage for you is out of the way until next year LOL

ohio03trdtaco
09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Well sounds like you had fun. Good luck getting it all back in one peice. :D

99TanTaco
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
The damage on the fender wasn't to bad, it's buckled out pretty good right above the wheelwell and I had to yank off the trim, but John aka CopperTJ on their board was able to pull it out enough to where the door opens normally :)

The only repairs I think I'll need to do are some hammering and a new tailight on the pass side, and I'll need to get that broken off bolt out of my BJ so I can replace it and have all 4 on. You can bet I'll be checking those bolts more often.

Ohh, I almost forgot we found a narrow d44 front minus the shafts in a pretty secluded location, however whoever took the shafts left both ends of the tubes open so I'm not sure how good it would still be. Those guys were razzing me that I needed to go solid axle but I don't think they quite understood the amount of time and money involved.

ohio03trdtaco
09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Terry do you need any help? More than welcome to come up this weekend and we can work on your rig agian. I thought you said that you were going to take it easy for awhile. What is this talk about a d44?

NEV2DEP
09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
hey if Terry goes SAC i fot dibs on his locker and cv and hubs.

ohio03trdtaco
09-17-2006, 07:56 PM
hey if Terry goes SAC i fot dibs on his locker and cv and hubs.

You can have it I know where it has been. :D Also I have abs so no go on manual hubs. :mad:

OFRD_GRL
09-17-2006, 08:04 PM
get rid of your ABS

99TanTaco
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Unfortuneately I don't have the time or money but if anyone else decides to go SAC I'd be willing to show them where it is, but like I said I'm not sure how good it is, having been sitting there for god knows how long with both axle tube ends open.

NEV2DEP
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
its all the same no? I just have plate on my spindle where abs sensor would go that covers hole

NEV2DEP
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
:woot: :woot: Terry here your missing all the whoring.

OFRD_GRL
09-17-2006, 08:16 PM
dude we have wh0red quite a few threads tonight

99TanTaco
09-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Terry do you need any help? More than welcome to come up this weekend and we can work on your rig agian. I thought you said that you were going to take it easy for awhile. What is this talk about a d44?
At the risk of turning this thread into tech :rolleyes: : I need to get off my lazy ass and try to seal that pin/bolt on the shifter, try to reseat my tire, remove and replace the bolt on the lower BJ, and do some hammering around the tailight area so I can replace it (the mounts are pulled out) but I don't think I'll need help for any of that stuff, I'll prob space that stuff out over a few evenings this week.

I was trying to take it easy, but those guys kept wanting to run trails that actually required 4wd :D , but it was all good, we found some really cool harder stuff. And anytime you can still drive home is a good day as far as I'm concerned :)

99TanTaco
09-17-2006, 08:27 PM
:woot: :woot: Terry here your missing all the whoring.
I'm here I just type really slow :o

SuperPoser
09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
happy birthday terry
sorry I missed it
sounds like a crazy ass day!
later
Mike

bradleyem
09-18-2006, 06:53 AM
At the risk of turning this thread into tech :rolleyes: : I need to get off my lazy ass and try to seal that pin/bolt on the shifter, try to reseat my tire, remove and replace the bolt on the lower BJ, and do some hammering around the tailight area so I can replace it (the mounts are pulled out) but I don't think I'll need help for any of that stuff, I'll prob space that stuff out over a few evenings this week.

I was trying to take it easy, but those guys kept wanting to run trails that actually required 4wd :D , but it was all good, we found some really cool harder stuff. And anytime you can still drive home is a good day as far as I'm concerned :)

Amen to that brother!

ohio03trdtaco
09-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Terry offer is open if you need a hand just let me know. Since I don't wheel with you all I guess I will just keep my mebership up with wrenching on the club members trucks.

OFRD_GRL
09-18-2006, 08:32 AM
your going to halloweenie.. thats wheeling :D

Lysmachia
09-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Happy Birthday Terry (late).....

Ya know what they say, you will break and you will go broke. (Right now I happen to be both).

99TanTaco
09-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Terry offer is open if you need a hand just let me know. Since I don't wheel with you all I guess I will just keep my mebership up with wrenching on the club members trucks.
So coming this direction for anything this weekend? :D The taco is out of commission. apparently the cheap advanced lower BJ uses sleeves in the bolt holes to maintain a precise fit. 2 of the sleeves are missing, I guess they fell out when it came apart and the other two are woggled out. All this slop is letting it vibrate causing the bolts to back out, it was almost ready to fall off again today :eek: . Also I can't get the boken bolt out of the hub (or whatever you call the thing the BJ bolts to) so I prob need to replace that as well. There's a bunch of other stuff but those are the two things I need in order to make it drivable. I'm going to see how fast I can get parts or if I can get it in at D&D ASAP unfortuneately Hardgroves is backed up to the 18th of Oct
I'll post up tommorow and let you know for sure if I'm going to work on it this weekend

Know anybody willing to trade a reliable full size truck that can tow a taco, and be driven daily for a motorcycle? :D I'm starting to realize that wheeling my DD is not really a good idea, however the taco has already been beaten past the point where it makes a good DD

OFRD_GRL
09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
CRAP i still have to go pick up the bolt for my front swaybar at toyota LOL
they ordered it for me

ohio03trdtaco
09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
So coming this direction for anything this weekend? :D The taco is out of commission. apparently the cheap advanced lower BJ uses sleeves in the bolt holes to maintain a precise fit. 2 of the sleeves are missing, I guess they fell out when it came apart and the other two are woggled out. All this slop is letting it vibrate causing the bolts to back out, it was almost ready to fall off again today :eek: . Also I can't get the boken bolt out of the hub (or whatever you call the thing the BJ bolts to) so I prob need to replace that as well. There's a bunch of other stuff but those are the two things I need in order to make it drivable. I'm going to see how fast I can get parts or if I can get it in at D&D ASAP unfortuneately Hardgroves is backed up to the 18th of Oct
I'll post up tommorow and let you know for sure if I'm going to work on it this weekend

Know anybody willing to trade a reliable full size truck that can tow a taco, and be driven daily for a motorcycle? :D I'm starting to realize that wheeling my DD is not really a good idea, however the taco has already been beaten past the point where it makes a good DD

I got a Suburban that needs a little rust TLC but other than that not bad. :D As for coming down sorry no go for a couple of weeks. I have to work on my dads van on saturday. Next weekend I am supose to go to cedar point but could put that off becuase you need a hand, but Una might be a little mad.

OFRD_GRL
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
id for serious be mad.. andys comin out that weekend... who knows when hell be back out here
go to terrys sunday i only need you and steph saturday. :)

OFRD_GRL
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
and terry your not wheeling your DD... your DDing your wheeler

ohio03trdtaco
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I am going to be on call that weekend and have a guy covering saturday for me. I can't get sunday covered and that would make the second/thrid on call rotation I blew the weekend off on. I have to get my dads van fixed up this weekend and ready to go to Xenia Ohio next weekend he drove it last weekend and had his fingers crossed on the way back. I have his other truck up and running fine but he wants the van to keep his tools dry.

bradleyem
09-20-2006, 08:19 PM

Terry -

Did you use threadlock on the bolts when you put them back in? When I changed my front half shafts and wheel bearings they told me that you ABSOLUTELY MUST use threadlock on the lower ball joint bolts or they will come out no matter how hard you tighten them. Also, I recall that even the factory shoe has sleeves to line up the bolt holes.

NEV2DEP
09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Terry that sucks knew i should have kept my old spindles.i'll double check but 95 % sure i didn't.

99TanTaco
09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Southern Eric, yes they were blue loctited

Northern Eric, don't worry about helping me. I got it all torn apart and won't have a new ball joint till mon. I'm going to try to get the broken bolt out of the old knuckle in the meantime since the stealership qouted me $422.00 for that part

Joe, ignore my pm about the upper BJ. I went and got a front end service kit (Advanced Loan a Tool program) and was able to press it out in about a minute flat.

ohio03trdtaco
09-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Any new word on the Truck?

99TanTaco
09-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Thurs I left work early and dissassembled. I removed the lower BJ, CV Axle (boot ripped from overextending shaft) and steering Knuckle/upper BJ assy (had a bolt broke off in it) Also I took my tire that had popped the bead down to Hardgroves to see if they could reseat it and get it to hold air (still haven't gotten it back.

Friday I took the steer knuckle/upper BJ assy in to work and we tig welded a short 1/4" bolt to the exposed end of the broken bolt and were able to back it out. Also my new OEM lower BJ came in early (it wasn't supposed to be in till Mon)

Sat I installed a spare CV axle assy since I'm to lazy to attempt changing the upper CV boot and reassembled everything. However it needs some serious alinement work before I can drive very far on it. Also I discovered another one of my tires is leaking around the bead more than likely due to my mangled/bent rim I believe this was also the prob with my tire that's down at Hardgroves.

I think I'm going to go back to my factory rims for now. Also I purhased another new Mud Terrain to replace one on my front that has a nice gouge in the sidewall (it's been like this for a few months and isn't leaking but makes me nervous looking at it), I'll keep that as a spare.

So my goal for the next few day is to get my tires switched back to the factory rims, get my truck alined (or at least close to), replace the tailight(s), and finish sealing up that pesky shifter

99TanTaco
09-24-2006, 01:33 PM
my new tailights http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200029210118&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:11

ohio03trdtaco
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
You are the king of bling Terry. :D Glad to hear that bolt came out for you and you got things moveing. Good luck to you and you got to stop breaking some time. :D