TTORA Forum banner

Pinion and front t-case output seals

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveO 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace the leaking front pinion seal and t-case front output seal. I've pulled the front shaft, removed the staked nuts, flange and deflectors but can't get the old seals out. Any tips? I posted on 'Mud but haven't got a response yet and I'd like to get this thing back together ASAP. Thanks. .....Steve

PS. It's a 77 FJ40

#3 ·
elliot_irwin said:
are you using a seal puller? when i did mine it popped right out. maybe you are prying against the case.

idea. might not be a good one.

tap the seal in on one edge just to loosen it up.
I don't have a seal puller but maybe I'll run out and grab a set of them. I didn't really pry that hard yet because I didn't want to screw it up. I have a set of FSM's on order but until they show up I'm running blind. ......Steve

#6 ·
I ended up punching a hole in the seal face (metal) and pulling it out with pliers. I couldn't pound it in or pry it out no matter how hard I tried. The joys of a 30 year old vehicle I guess. I did manage to get it in after some careful tapping and a bit of grease. Now I just need one more seal then I'm on to the rest of the leaks. 10 down, about 10 to go. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.