TTORA Forum banner

FJ80 Axle Questions (XPost)

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  west0n 
#1 ·
#9 ·
91toyota4x4 said:
Well I called today and they told me they want $750 for the rolling chassis now so we are going to get it tomorrow.

What size tires are these axles reliable to?
Stock birfields and inner axle shafts are fine up to about 37"...after that point, I'd recommend upgrading both the inner axle as well as the birfield joint with stuff from either Bobby Long or another source.

A lot also depends on how you wheel....if you are doing some knarly stuff all the time, then regardless of what you throw in the housing, you are going to break stuff. It's plain ole physics...

Good luck on your new front elocker. Well worth it.

#10 ·
These are the best axles Toyota ever made.....

Anything else is a Major step down in strength. The Birfield is 50-70% larger than your Mini Birf and at least twice as strong. The ring makes a Taco ring look like a playtoy. These are 1 ton axles hidden under the wifes grocery getter. $750 is a screaming deal. There are several companies that say they are working on a high steer for them but one hasn't yet materialized, the problem is the high and low mounting of the arms. As they become more popular they will become available. However they hardly need it with the tie rod location :rolleyes: .

#11 ·
Gravel Maker said:
Anything else is a Major step down in strength. The Birfield is 50-70% larger than your Mini Birf and at least twice as strong. The ring makes a Taco ring look like a playtoy. These are 1 ton axles hidden under the wifes grocery getter. $750 is a screaming deal. There are several companies that say they are working on a high steer for them but one hasn't yet materialized, the problem is the high and low mounting of the arms. As they become more popular they will become available. However they hardly need it with the tie rod location :rolleyes: .
The front axle is a high pinion 8" diff but the rear diff still has the larger ring gear. The reason why you would need high steering is so you can run reaf springs with the axle. If you are running a linked suspension the high steer does not matter as you said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.