TTORA Forum banner

FJ-80, which one?

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  calamaridog 
#1 ·
Looking for an FJ 80 that is fuel injected, power brakes, and steering. Whch year model will I find this? Are these also manual locking hubs in the front? Any guidance much appreciated.

#2 ·
All years from 91-97 have what you are looking for. BUt all of them are full time 4wd. Slee off road sells a part time kit to use manual hubs. YOu can find the 91-92 pretty cheap. But in 93 they replaced the engine with a more powerful one and had optional lockers front and rear. Can't go wrong with either of them. REad the buyers guide on sleeoffroad.com

#3 ·
aztaco1 said:
All years from 91-97 have what you are looking for. BUt all of them are full time 4wd. Slee off road sells a part time kit to use manual hubs. YOu can find the 91-92 pretty cheap. But in 93 they replaced the engine with a more powerful one and had optional lockers front and rear. Can't go wrong with either of them. REad the buyers guide on sleeoffroad.com

91-92 and some 93-94 years had rear drum brakes and semi floaters. ABS started in 1993.

I would recommend a 95-1997 with lockers, full-floating rear, 4 disc brakes, ABS, etc.

Good luck.
-o-

#5 · (Edited)
So you are looking at an FJ60/62 and not an 80.

FJ60 (81-87) was a MT w/round eyes, FJ62 (88-90) was auto w/square eyes.

The 91-93 FJ80's had the same engine as the 60/62- the 3F.

The 3F was one of the most bulletproof engines Toyota ever produced, and is generally considered by Toyota afficianados as the superior engine, even when comapred to the slightly higher horsepower 1FZ found in 93-98 models.

As stated, the 95-97 are commonly considered the "desireable" because of many impovements, but do to the influx of n00bs and the ensuing "demand" be prepared to be tied up and gang-raped trying to buy one.

If you like the "look of the 60 series, many can be found still relatively reasonably. An early model 80 can be had very cheaply and are easy to build. I feel the 80's are better wheelers due to the coil spring suspension. I had a 91 and it absolutley rocked. Much more bang for the buck than later year cruisers without the maintenance headaches either.

60 series tended to have more rust issues as well, so depending on where you are, you may have to be real careful.

Go to TLCA.org, look up your local Land Cruiser club and get to know them. It will be easier to make up your mind after you've spent time around them and their owners.

My old sled:

Me spotting a friend in a 60:

#8 ·
There's plenty of cheap 62's showing up at www.ih8mud.com in the for sale section right now. 62 has square headlights, auto, fuel injection, and most have power windows, locks, mirrors, and antenna. Beware the ususal rust issues, and maintenance on the auto. Engine as state is pretty much bulletproof if maintained, only gotcha is the oil plug in the head above the number 4 cylinder. Plenty of info on ih8mud's faq on that fix. Good luck on the 62, I've had two of them, wife's currently driving a "like new" 89.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.