TTORA Forum banner

subaru wrx vs fj-80

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  KRYPTO(dale) 
#1 ·
ok so my wife drives our 2004 wrx has around 63k on it . We just had another baby and the wrx is alittle on the small side for a baby seat and my 6yr old . Im thinking of getting a FJ-80 but im not sure if its worth it. So what would you do?

I found a 95 FJ-80 with 86k on it the guy is asking 12k . I have confirmed that it doesnt have lockers. Im thinking of offering him 10k for it.

The reason im looking at the FJ-80 is so I can get my wife to go wheeling with me. also we have 2 dogs so the extra room in the back would be great.

What would you do.

#4 ·
well she is ok with the idea . She wants something larger and doesnt want to spend that much money. The only thing that worries her is the mileage on most land cruisers . I told her not to worry about that. If she doesnt wheel it I will for sure. It would be nice to have another vehicle around to get me unstuck .

we are just concerned with trading a newer vehicle for an older one.

#7 ·
Whatever you do...dont get a Jeep. I say if she's down for getting the FJ-80, get it. Thinking too much leads to regrets...then again not thinking enough can too. I would just go over the FJ real good and make sure its good to go maintenance-wise...if its good, jump on it. Good luck either way.

#8 ·
DirtyDC05 said:
ok so my wife drives our 2004 wrx has around 63k on it . We just had another baby and the wrx is alittle on the small side for a baby seat and my 6yr old . Im thinking of getting a FJ-80 but im not sure if its worth it. So what would you do?

I found a 95 FJ-80 with 86k on it the guy is asking 12k . I have confirmed that it doesnt have lockers. Im thinking of offering him 10k for it.

The reason im looking at the FJ-80 is so I can get my wife to go wheeling with me. also we have 2 dogs so the extra room in the back would be great.

What would you do.
The 1993+ 80 series cruisers have the 1FZ-FE I6 and not the 3FE that was in the earlier 80 series.

Gas mileage sucks on the 80 series. There is really no other way around it unless you want to spend abot $5-10k to transplant a diesel and go bio.

The 1FZ-FE has a HG "problem"--some say it's a problem and are doing preventative maintenance HG swaps ( :rolleyes: ) and some have had no problems.

$8-10K would be a good offer considering the miles on the vehicle. Try to get an accurate understanding of the vehicle history--preferably with some paperwork.

You will incur some maintenance $$$ pretty quickly once you buy one. If you wrench yourself, these shouldn't be a problem. If you are paying someone else to do your wrenching, this vehicle will get very expensive very quickly.

I'd go over to MUD and do some research there. Great resource on the 80 series cruzahs!

#12 ·
i have seen 4wd sequoias go for 14k that were in pretty decent shape. my mom was looking at them, but ive convinced her to wait for a LX470 to pop up. my 4runner has plenty of room, we have 2 in the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.