TTORA Forum banner

easy lift on 97 landcruiser

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  andale 
#1 ·
my buddy of mine was wondering if theres any way that he can lift his cruiser at all without buying anything, like torsion bars adjustment or somthing else. I'm not sure if it has torsion bars because I've never really looked under it. if this is possible, can someone tell me what to adjust and how much a lift is possible?

#2 · (Edited)
itsmeagain5789 said:
my buddy of mine was wondering if theres any way that he can lift his cruiser at all without buying anything, like torsion bars adjustment or somthing else. I'm not sure if it has torsion bars because I've never really looked under it. if this is possible, can someone tell me what to adjust and how much a lift is possible?

uh those >>dont<< have torsion bars. and there is no free lift. he could get a cheap body lift i guess but thats stupid. good shit aint cheap and cheap shit aint good

#4 ·
itsmeagain5789 said:
Read more, post less.

The 80's are coils sprung front and rear. If your buddy hasn't even looked under his truck he's even stupider than you.

#9 ·
How much axle reuilding do you have to do to these things Chris? And is OME the best spring option? I would really like to get one o these for my family wheelin rig and there are 3 in the local paper. These things are awesome and I wish they were a little more affordable but with factory lockers front and rear and room for 7 I guess there is a reason

#12 ·
NP.

Forgto to answer the other part of the question... OME rally has the best options for these trucks, from mild to heavy duty use.

If you want to get real radical, you can get close to 6" using the OME "J" springs and repress new castor adjustments into the front control arms. There's a bit more work than that, but it's basically a simple, easy to mod setup.

If you get serious later, give me a hollar- I had evey combination of OME shock & spring on there (except the 6") so I can help you figure out which setup would be best for what you want.

Regeraing to 4.88 (running 33's with a 3FE) made the greatest impact on the truck, but it wasn't easy- for the rear, due to the increased width of the ring gear, you actually have to grind down about 4 teeth on one side and 3 more 180* out for the center pin- kind of nerve wracking grinding on a new gear set. :eek:

It was a blast wheeling it, and very nice driving it... :D

#13 ·
Slee Off-Road has both a 4" lift as well as a true 6" lift that are heavier rated springs. These are great springs and Slee Off Road is a great supplier and supporter of the 80 series LC.

Doing a lift is pretty simple on the 80 series. Swap everything out, put the new ones in.

That said, the higher you go, the more modifications you'll need to make to correct suspension geometry--things like:

1. Extended brake lines (Slee has these)
2. Adjustable front and rear panhards (to center the axle under the vehicles--Slee has these too)
3. Sway bar drops (Slee has these too--though I just took my sway bars off).
4. Bump stops
5. Upper rear control arms to correct rear pinion/xfer case angularity
6. POssibly a front or even rear DC drive shaft to correct for lift.

Good luck.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

#16 ·
KyleT said:
slee 4" is the easiest way to lift.
A Slee 4" is not the easiest lift for the 80 series.

The Slee 4" requires significant suspension geometry adjustments to make it work right.

An "easy" lift would be the OME 2.5" medium or heavy lift option.

This requires little to no suspension modifications beyond the springs/shocks.

Another easy way to lift an 80 series is to throw some bigger tires underneath it.

285/75/16's work well, as do 305/70/16. Some have even fitted 315's underneath their rigs with stock suspension (you will rub).

#17 ·
the ome does not come with caster correction last time i checked, which in my opinion is needed at any amount of lift on a LC. slee is 100 percent bolt on and doesnt need anything but bigger tires. im not knocking OME by any means.

#19 ·
valkyrie said:
You do not need caster correction for under 3" of lift.

Why does everyone insist on bending over and handing their wallets to Slee? I'll never understand...
What other companies sell lifts of the same height that are comprehensive?

#20 ·
do they just have spacers for these things, he's really just going for cheapness and looks. he doesnt need a 4 inch lift. 2.5 inches is good for him, but ome is still pretty pricy for theirs.

#21 ·
itsmeagain5789 said:
do they just have spacers for these things, he's really just going for cheapness and looks. he doesnt need a 4 inch lift. 2.5 inches is good for him, but ome is still pretty pricy for theirs.
Spacers ? Pricey? JFC it's only $60 a spring and $60 a shock, which is pretty damn cheap.

Your buddy really is an idiot, quit hanging around with him if he won't listen.

If he's that much of a broke-dick dumbass, sell the Cruiser and fuck up a cheap POS truck... like an S-10.

#22 ·
itsmeagain5789 said:
You can have spacers machined locally for a reasonable price, but as the saying going, if you want to play, you have to pay.

The OME will be the easiest and cheapest in the long run.

#23 ·
valkyrie said:
You do not need caster correction for under 3" of lift.

Why does everyone insist on bending over and handing their wallets to Slee? I'll never understand...
I don't agree with this.

Even with a 3" lift or less you are going to get some dive as well as some skittishness in the rig especially at highway speeds.

Granted, it won't be crazy wandering, but it will be considerable.

The OME bushings are worth the price, IMHO, for correct suspension geometry of a DD'ed vehicle.

That said, I give my money to Slee because:

1. They have a great product that is well-researched and tested. Not many in this country who know the 80 series cruiser as well as Christo and Ben.

2. They give excellent customer support: call them anytime if you have any problem with products that you ahve received from them. They bend over backwards to help you correct your issue. That to me is very important. Most companies don't know what "real" customer service is. Christo does and he stands behind his products 100%.

3. Christo supports the Land Cruiser community. He is a vital member providing important technical information on many different boards, most especially ih8mud.

4. He's a hell of a nice guy and he is an honest businessman. Those are important in my book.

So, if you'll never understand then I guess it would behoove you to not talk about a business you don't deal with.

Best.
-onur
oberlin, OH

#24 ·
KyleT said:
the ome does not come with caster correction last time i checked, which in my opinion is needed at any amount of lift on a LC. slee is 100 percent bolt on and doesnt need anything but bigger tires. im not knocking OME by any means.
This is not correct and Christo would argue against you on this.

You need considerable changes to make the Slee 4" or 6" to work.

Give Christo a buzz and he'll explain it to you if you don't believe me....

But yes, caster correction is needed on any amount of lift if the truck is to operate well.

Best.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

#25 ·
beno said:
I don't agree with this.

Even with a 3" lift or less you are going to get some dive as well as some skittishness in the rig especially at highway speeds.

Granted, it won't be crazy wandering, but it will be considerable.
Bullshit... I guarantee you. Don't repeat what you hear, because it isn't right- and you don't know what you're talking about. I have experience backing me up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.