TTORA Forum banner

fzj locker

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JTSDIFFS 
#1 ·
i recently bought a 97 fzj-80 and its decked out with all the goods but its unlocked. the only locker is the factory center diff lock that only engages in 4-lo. i also have a '02 tacoma 4 door prerunner trd so it has the factory e locker. i use that as a daily driver and i was wondering if i could take out the e locker on that and put it in the cruiser. if not what lockers would be the best deal for me.

#3 ·
yeah i am defanantly going to look around but first i have to find some in my area. but are the stock lockers worth it. from what ive heard they take a while to engage to where air lockers are instant action. but then again with air lockers it gets pricey

#5 ·
Without all of the factory premissive bullshit, you only have to wait for a fraction of a second for the motor actuator to turn and for the splines to line up which is a small fraction of one wheel revolution for locking to occur. I'll take that over air leaks, moisture pumped into the diff and air lines freezing up any ole day. Plus, if push comes to shove they use an external actuator so can be forced into the locked or unlocked position.

#6 ·
831-fzj-80 said:
i recently bought a 97 fzj-80 and its decked out with all the goods but its unlocked. the only locker is the factory center diff lock that only engages in 4-lo. i also have a '02 tacoma 4 door prerunner trd so it has the factory e locker. i use that as a daily driver and i was wondering if i could take out the e locker on that and put it in the cruiser. if not what lockers would be the best deal for me.

The overall design of the lockers are close to the same, but the Land Cruiser's are closer to a nine inch rear (or so I thought but read below) and the Taco's are eight inch rears (8.4 for non locking). Also the front and rear carriers on the Land Cruiser are the same size, where the Taco has a smaller front diff. You can get a lot more info on the swaps and wiring of the diff on the ih8mud.com forum.

A guy posted this on mud:

"Yes, Tacoma rear w/locker is the same size as the front 80 diff. They use almost all the same parts, but the gearset is reverse cut for the 80. Being fulltime 4wd and heavier than a minitruck the front diff requires the added strength of running on the drive side of the gear teeth. Minitruck owners can gain driveline clearance in the front and a stronger gear when they use it in the frontend. If used in the rear of a minitruck, you lose strength as the vehicle will be driving on the coast side of the gear. Yes, you could bolt up the taco locking diff into an 80 (w/ mods to gasket area of housing), but it wouldn't make sense to."

Here is another thread about adding locker to an 80
This one has other links to help also.

#7 ·
diff

That "guy" on mud was me. I have had several late model landcruisers w/ extensive mods. I like these vehicles, as they are probably the best built vehicles brought into the US. They take all of toyotas strong points, than have a much larger $$$ budget to design the vehicle with for long term reliability. As far as the elocker diffs, they pretty much have to come from the 80. I actually have a fresh e-locker rear 3rd member w/ 4.30 gears and a ring & pinion to match the front. I was going to use it in one of my projects, but changed plans. Ill pm you some details

A guy posted this on mud:

"Yes, Tacoma rear w/locker is the same size as the front 80 diff. They use almost all the same parts, but the gearset is reverse cut for the 80. Being fulltime 4wd and heavier than a minitruck the front diff requires the added strength of running on the drive side of the gear teeth. Minitruck owners can gain driveline clearance in the front and a stronger gear when they use it in the frontend. If used in the rear of a minitruck, you lose strength as the vehicle will be driving on the coast side of the gear. Yes, you could bolt up the taco locking diff into an 80 (w/ mods to gasket area of housing), but it wouldn't make sense to."

Attachments

#8 ·
so i already have a tacoma locker so ill take that out of the taco and put it in but what would i have to do to get that to work? also i have 4:88 gears, so what do i have to do if i buy your rear locker?

#9 ·
The front of a 80 series is a hi pinion 8" Reverse cut front end. Why go to a standard cut front end just for an e-locker? Standard cut gears will be riding on the coast side of the gear and will be a fuck ton weaker than a reverse cut gear in the front.

Buy a Built E-Locker diffs from another FZJ80 and modify the housing to have them fit. Also the Rear on a LC is a 1 Ton rear end with a 9.5" ring gear so don't even try to fit a TRD locker in the rear b/c it won't even be close.

#11 ·
If you can find the e-locker difs for the right price then go for it. Your un locked truck or K-292 axle code (drivers door data sticker under the big bar code, small print in the middle K-292 = no e lockers but if it says K-294 your locked) Will not have the wiring in the loom to run the lockers. You can find a few write ups on MUD on converting a non locked truck to e-lockers.

Me personally I pulled the e-lockers out of my trail rig in favor of air lockers. But if you need a front e-locker I have one with the front wiring pig tail. Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested. mark@metaltechcage.com The reason I went with air was I like to cycle the front locker as I go through an obstacle. The e-lockers do not like to be worked hard in a short time frame. The magnets in the motors are glued to the motor housing. This glue will fail if the motor gets hot = non op. For most people this in not a problem. The other issue applies more to the rear, if you snap off an inner axel in the locker the locker is basically destroyed as well. Not so with air lockers. The big advantage with the e-lockers is you can find them now as complete 3rds for about the same price as just the air locker unit by its self!

Things to think about for e-lockers in a non locked 80:

Front axle housing needs modified. The e-locker has 9 mounting holes over the 8 your housing has now. You also need to notch a small amount a housing away to clear the locking mech.

Rear inner long side shaft needs replaced. The stock non locked shaft does not have long enough splines. Locked inner axels have about 4.5” of splines that the locking collar rides on.

Get as much of the stock wiring as you can. The stock plugs have added breather vents/tubes built into them.

Mark

#12 ·
The elocker complete rear diff I mentioned above is the 9.5" rearend to suit 80 series. It is 4.30 ratio and includes a front reverse 4.30 ring & pinion to match that could either be installed in a elocker or non-elocker diff to match the rear. Like I said, I was going to use this in a project of mine and invested the $$$ but dont have the rig anymore so selling cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.