: 06 leaking oil from front diff

lajguess
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I think that my passanger side front diff is leaking I noticed a spot on the driveway then looked under there and found the whole bottom of my crossmember and comming from my what looks like the seal. Is this normal and would a 3" lift make this happen.? help

Owsley
12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
I think that my passanger side front diff is leaking I noticed a spot on the driveway then looked under there and found the whole bottom of my crossmember and comming from my what looks like the seal. Is this normal and would a 3" lift make this happen.? help

You talking CV boot, or differential? You only have one front differential, but 2 CV boots that connect to it on each side. If it is coming from the rubber boot, then yes your lift may have caused this due to the increased angle put on the cv joint. The fins rub together because the CV spin all of the time, even thoough your diff is not engaged.

More lift=more rub=shorter CV boot life

pi
12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Have you had your truck offroad and not cleaned the underside? I had my driver's side axle seal shit the bed couple of months ago due to sand/dirt getting in there from wheeling and not cleaning it properly. Dealership changed it no questions asked under warranty.

lajguess
12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
its not the rubber boot but where the axel runs into the diff looks like engine oil.

Owsley
12-08-2006, 03:14 PM
its not the rubber boot but where the axel runs into the diff looks like engine oil.

Sounds like a front diff seal. Here is a little bit I found on somone 4runner

http://jaw.ii.net/cars/4runner/diffseal.html

Does it smell like gear lube?

LavosTRD
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
your timing cover is leaking where it meets at the pass side headgasket area....my work has seen 5 of these so far