: dash rattle fix

jockdawg
02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone

hezy
02-22-2005, 08:19 PM
What Taco model are we talking about? I have developed the same problem on mine(2004 DC 4X4 V6).

97TacoDude
02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Holy cow man I love you! My dash was rattling for 6 fucking YEARS driving me insane, you da man!

SandyUT
02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I read the post on the warranty fix on the rattle. I have had the rattle come and go twice now. I'm taking it in next week for the dealer repair. I have about 90 miles before my warranty expires. I hope they will work on it - its not rattling right now...

If they wont do anything because its not making noise when I take it in, I'll try one of the foam or tubing fixes like above. It is clearly the dash on the windsheild - it goes away when I press on the the dash up there.

I'll post up the outcome.

Mine is an '04 X-Cab

grillmasterp
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone

Did the same thing a while ago - I actually used tygon tubing- ~1/4 OD and it worked like a charm

SAStoy
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I just took a small piece of paper, folded it up several times and shoved in between the dash and windshield. haven't heard a rattle for 6 months! Total cost- $0.00. Can't even see the paper unless you are looking for it. BTW, anyone know what this rattle is from?

Ryan

dadunc205x
02-22-2005, 11:41 PM
there are many different causes to the dash rattle(s). I have fixed one, only to have another come up. some are from loose clusters of wires, some are from the brake hardlines hitting the firewall, and some are from misc. pieces of plastic.

SandyUT
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I took it in today, with 35 miles left on the warranty. They "installed anti rattle foam" (not exacty sure what that is - but the name is on the right track) and found some loose wiring under the instrument panel at sub frame.

so far - on the 10 miles home I did not hear the intermittent (sp) rattle I took it in for. But time will tell.

They were totally cool about it too. If you live in Colorado - I gotta plug Burt Toyota. I have taken my Toyotas there for over 10 years. Quality work.

eLN_No
03-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Sometimes that anti rattle foam are just several latex gloves. I would prefer to use that vinyl. I'm gonna try that out. I hear my dash once in a while. People say its a washer, wires, etc. and the plastic parts of the dash, but if you notice that when you push the dash down there is no more rattle. So I'm guessing the vinyl is your solution.
Thanx great idea

1noobie
03-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse

drabnor
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse

more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together

i used a folded up napkin to fix mine, gonna look into this though since i can totally see the napkin sticking out lol

eLN_No
03-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Correct, just push the dash down on the right side and you'll hear the rattle stop.

Bryanccfshr
03-04-2005, 09:33 PM
IF you can stop the rattle with applied pressure it's simple enough. Shim that dash up so it doesn't move. Mine has had several rattles that I chased down..

The 2001 I had before the 2002 didn't rattle, but what the hell, It's only noise.

1noobie
03-05-2005, 10:03 AM
more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together
Just thought it was from the air bag cause when I push down on it the rattle stops. I'll try the windshield thing though. ;)

SandyUT
03-09-2005, 08:16 PM
well - the dealer fix lasted about 150 miles. now a couple new onse showed up in new places. Tracked on to a white tube or cable houseing near the gas pedal - pretty sure that was the worst of them. I am going to install some tubingon the dash, as that one still happens on big road bumps.

The instrucions here were great for taking the dash apart. Check it out if you want to go ona seek and destoy mission.http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=77&c=6

Rattles drive me insane!!! :explode:

STBear
03-10-2005, 08:48 AM
There are several spots that the dash rattled in my 2002. I had the dealer perform the TSB fixes and have not had a problem since. It was always worse in the winter. If it was fixed under warranty then they should cover a refix if you want to deal with them again.

TuRD03
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah thanks for the fix guys, mine also sounded like it was coming from the airbag so I stuffed a small strip of foam around the passenger airbag- didnt work. I then tried what was recommended here, but I used a 7.00 roll of 3M weather stripping I got from the autoparts store. Sounds like a toyota now. No squeak, I cant believe how much better the cabin sounds.

Lagarre
03-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.

Lagarre
03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.

My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

WindsorTaco
03-16-2005, 10:11 AM
My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

well, i've run around town looking for 1/4" black vinyl tubing but no one here carries it in black, so i went with heavy duty black spline for screen windows (not the foam stuff). the hardware store had some 3/8" rubber stuff that works pretty well. but its still pretty cold around here so i dont know how it will work for you.

P1michaud
03-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone

I went to our local hardware store, picked up some black foam water pipe insulation. The stuff you would use in your house to cover your water pipes. I got a 6' piece for $0.74 CDN. I cut out a strip about 1/2" wide and the foam is about 3/8" thick and put it between the windshield and the dash. It worked great and like you said, it looks like it ought to be there.
Thanks for the tip!
Cheers :xbeer3:,
P

TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM
03-21-2005, 08:00 PM

There is a TSB on the dash rattle for 01-04 Tacomas, guess if you were out of warranty you could fix it yourself:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/tsb/dashrattle/dashrattle.htm

toyguy
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Holy cow man I love you! My dash was rattling for 6 fucking YEARS driving me insane, you da man!

6 YEARS? That's brutal. My truck is the love of my life, but if it had done that, I'd a shot it.

SandyUT
03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, as I drove for about 45 minutes today, a intermittent rattle returned. I sounds like its behind the temp adjustment or that region. I have had the dash off and wrapped and tied down everything I could find. Anyone have the same problem? The noise is nearly constant while on the highway, like a constant vibration.

eLN_No
03-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I believe there is a rattle in one of the temp knobs, I may be wrong.

SandyUT
03-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah! Pretty sure I isolated the rattle that has eluded my efforts - hope this helps someone elsa gain a piece of sanity.

The dash molding rubbed on the bottom of the radio, or some other plastic down there. I pulled the ash tray and grabbed the lip below the radio and wiggled - and there it was - the intermittent rattle that will go non stop on the highway for hours at a time then vanish.

So I pulled the dash molding, and on the bottom lip of the hole for the radio, I lined it with electrical tape, 2 layers to be sure it was snug. Fixed!!! Hopefully that will be it for a while.

Hope this is good for someone else. This was the one the dealer didnt fine either. I am sure it was quiet when they drove around.

jekyllnhyde858
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
i just turn my music up really loud and the rattle goes away :D

jessevic
01-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh my god. I didnt realise this was a known problem and it was driving me up the wall. Driving to school a half hour every morning all tired and grumpy, only to have to listen to the rattle was enough to make me swerve for a telephone pole.

Tomorrow I am calling the dealership and getting them to fix it. If the cant/wont I will go with the tubing fix. Thanks!

Mez
01-26-2006, 12:41 AM

ditto

Enzogfx
01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
LMAO- I've done the same with every vehicle ive owned- shit starts rattling in the cab- Volume increases... But i suppose now i have my newer tacoma I can start "fixing" noises insteaded of ignoring them :p Thanks for the tips!

MysticGold04
01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I went to our local hardware store, picked up some black foam water pipe insulation. The stuff you would use in your house to cover your water pipes. I got a 6' piece for $0.74 CDN. I cut out a strip about 1/2" wide and the foam is about 3/8" thick and put it between the windshield and the dash. It worked great and like you said, it looks like it ought to be there.
Thanks for the tip!
Cheers :xbeer3:,
P

Gotta try this one :D I have some of that stuff sitting in my garage!

TacoDell
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
You guys need to wheel those rigs... ;) ...There will be so many other noises coming from the truck you won't even notice the dash anymore... Compared to my '89 which never rattled or squeaked in 145K... The Tacoma is a piece of crap as far as build quality... Not sure I'd buy one again... Except maybe an older one... When the Japanese still built shiat right... But no I got all these freakin' mods done to it... so I'm stuck... At least it wheels aw'rite... If it didn't I'd get rid of the thing... LOL... I still might if I can find me a decent '85 to play on the trail with... I gave up on trying to fix my trucks rattles squeaks and moans... Fix one and 3 more come back... :rolleyes:

hammerdown
02-11-2006, 11:40 PM
You guys need to wheel those rigs... ;) ...There will be so many other noises coming from the truck you won't even notice the dash anymore...
case closed

jessevic
02-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I was stuck out in a swamp waiting about 10 mins for my buddy to catch up to me and I wedged 2 old airfresheners between the pillar and the dash on the passenger side...no more rattle and its lemon-cream fresh!

LowellDillon
04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I read last month where somebody use a jacks ball between the windshield and dash. I am going to buy one today.

TekHick34
04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
hey, i happen to have a sub in my truck which is really friggin loud and rattles a few things..., any ideas on how to make the airbag on the passenger side stop rattling? its really annoying and its the only thing i got left rattling that i can hear... thanks, dustin

LowellDillon
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I bought my jacks ball and stuck it between the windshield and the dash. It works like a charm.

Chukkie
05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
I use my cd case...It works great and is easily accessible from anywhere in the front of the cab ;-)

darwink1
05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
hey did the pipe foam thing along the windshield/dash but my rattle seemed to be coming from somewhere just above the glove box and below the airbag.(2000 v6 ext cab std. 4x4). i shoved some of the foam under the plastic outer shell of the dash above the glove box door and it seems to work...........................sometimes.
ive noticed that the degree of rattling depends on the temp inside the cab. on a cold assed northern ontario winter morning the dash seems to rattle more than on a hot summer day. the expanding and contracting over the years has got to play a major role in the rattles. mine still does it on a colder morning but when i get in after work and its sunny and the cab is warm inside presto no rattles.
guess i shoulda used one of those gay sun shades.

Super Doody
04-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Did the same thing a while ago - I actually used tygon tubing- ~1/4 OD and it worked like a charm

Did you cut the tubing in half or just the whole tube jamed in between the windshield and the dash/vents??

sk8erkidGK
04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Anyone else have the rattle/squeek behind the drivers side back seat? I've got an 02 taco and i finally fixed mine for good. The cab opened up in the corner. What i did to fix this was drill holes in it, bolt it shut (use fat washers to hold it tight), then JB weld over anything else that was still opened. So far it's held and squeek is gone. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

breadbox
04-08-2007, 09:10 AM
There is a TSB on the dash rattle for 01-04 Tacomas, guess if you were out of warranty you could fix it yourself:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/tsb/dashrattle/dashrattle.htm

Funny "Squeek Reduction Tape." Sounds like it's easier to do the Cheap Trick here if none of those clips are boken. I'm going to try this trick.

Thanks ALL!

Super Doody
04-09-2007, 01:38 AM
I fixed my rattle/squeak after tearing in my dash/stereo/glove box for the 3rd time!!!!

It was coming from a loosened phillip screw that holds ECU computer bracket.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o215/saltytaco/PICT0325.jpg

Never mind the rats nest but its the phillip screw on the far left that was loose. It make a squeeky sound every time I hit bump or traveled at hwy speeds.

I hate tearing in the dash area because its all plastic and the more you tear into it up no matter how gentle you are, its gona loosen with time.

rctaco03
04-21-2007, 07:40 PM
I took the change out of my ash tray .

RCIII
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
when i figured out what stopped the rattle i shoved a pencil in between the dash and window. it was freakn annoying. the radio and hum from the tires drowns out the rest of the little rattles

stangman4610
09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I am also interested to know, did you just shove the whole tubing in their or did you cut to mold to contour of dash/windshield??
pics would be a great help.

liftedtacoma
09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
mines comming from the driver side where the handle is up on the side panel..also..around the glove box area in between that and my stereo something rattlin in the dash...almost sounds like its where the airbag is...anybody know what that could be..

stucktaco
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Speaking of rattles, I have one that I think I have narrowed down to around the shifter area. Talking about the truck in my sig. It is driving me up the wall. Any ideas?