: welding class?

gregers05
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
alright so ive been thinking about how beneficial it would be to me to learn how to weld so i can weld my own chit. so which schools around the kennesaw/marrietta area offer welding classes? i was thinking that southern poly would, idk who else buy i know kennesaw state dosent...
...i would be taking it over the summer...

ATLRoach
01-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Greg let me know what you find I'll take the class with ya.

That tech college in Woodstock may or North Metro Tech may as well.

4inT100
01-02-2007, 06:22 AM
if there are any "night" classes I'd be down. Heck, it if were early enough I might consider taking a day class..have to check with da boss though.

gregers05
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
cool ill let you guys know what i find. kyle what times would be good for u? really it dosent matter to me...

gregers05
01-02-2007, 03:51 PM
oh yeah do you think that i would have to apply to the school just to take that one class? ...im thinking that i would but idk...

04 Rocko Taco
01-02-2007, 04:00 PM
sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Buts its pretty easy to get in, regardless so.... let us know what you find out, I've taken an autobody/paint class, but it wasnt that great, we covered a little welding...but I would love to take a new class. Thanks...cr

gregers05
01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
alright im looking now, but these websites are pissing me off...

ATLRoach
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Afternoons after 3:30pm

Maddog096
01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Let me now it might be fun to take. We can have the TTORA guys in the back.

gregers05
01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
hell yeah it would be fun...

i cant find crap on the websites so im just going to send out an email to a couple schools and see how hard it would be to register and what is involved. also $$$ is a issue...i dont want to spend a whole lot since i could probably take it at auburn when i go in the fall. id rather take it as a summer class though and not have to worry about other classes...

Maddog096
01-02-2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.dekalbtech.edu/courses/welding.html

gregers05
01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
...i suck. u probably found that in like 2 mins.

it looks like the WLD 100 dosent involve much welding though from the description? looks like 102 is where u get into the welding, but 100 is the prerequisite for it...

gregers05
01-02-2007, 08:55 PM
i would also like to find something closer since that is an hour away. but it ill only be a few times a week so its not that big of a deal. i was thinking of southern poly or northmetro tech...

matt see if u can find any info on thier sites, since i apparently suck at life...

Marshytaco
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
It looks like those classes are specific to ARC welding. While you can get into ARC welding a lot cheaper than MIG welding, ARC welding is much more difficult to learn. I try to stay away from ARC welding if I can, so that's why I got a 220 MIG.
If you can ARC weld, though, you can pretty much weld anything.....as long as it's not sheetmetal or other thinner materials as ARC welding will burn through that, easily!

drguitarum2005
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
this wont really contribute much to you finding a class in georgia but back home in houston i took a welding class at my local houston community college and it was really fun and i learned a lot so i highly recommend taking a good class. because of it im about to buy my own welder so i can work on my own stuff. good luck!

4inT100
01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I've seen some good books, but since I have no welder I can't practice or anything like that. That's all it really takes is a little knowledge and practice

04 Rocko Taco
01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
this wont really contribute much to you finding a class in georgia but back home in houston i took a welding class at my local houston community college and it was really fun and i learned a lot so i highly recommend taking a good class. because of it im about to buy my own welder so i can work on my own stuff. good luck!

What he means is so he can work on his stuff, and MY stuff. :)

Blitanicle99
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
ARC is easy junk. Mig is alright, however I want to learn to tig for some reason, mainly because I simply dont know how...

gregers05
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
yeah i really dont care, i just want to learn how to weld some damn shit on my truck like the fawking tabs for my lights lol.

gregers05
01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
ARC is easy junk. Mig is alright, however I want to learn to tig for some reason, mainly because I simply dont know how...

did u get the saws rebuilt? enough so that u could do mine? lol

Blitanicle99
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah did them, funny thing. First side took me matt and thomas probably an hour and a half. The second side took me under 15 minutes... lol. Get some seals and some oil and we can do them one after noon if you want

Maddog096
01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
do they still rattle?

Maddog096
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
it only took so long because we had to wait on the picks and read step by step.

Blitanicle99
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Sorta rattle. I never checked before if they did or not. However theres got to b atleast 20 moving parts in there so something is bound to make that boucy rattly noise

gregers05
01-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah did them, funny thing. First side took me matt and thomas probably an hour and a half. The second side took me under 15 minutes... lol. Get some seals and some oil and we can do them one after noon if you want

cool. it will probably be another year before i rebuild mine though...

MGarner43
01-27-2007, 05:16 PM
we've got a basic welding class where they start you out with stick, then mig, then tig. we did some really simple projects. i havent had time to take the advanced course yet but ive heard good things. it was the manufacturing processes lab 1 that i took. i dont know how much the classes are but you may be able to audit. check the website and then email the head of the mechanical engineering dept. www.spsu.edu souther poly tech, its off 41 and the 120 loop just south of marietta square

4inT100
02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
gwinett tech also has "some" evening classes if anyone is still interested

gregers05
02-09-2007, 09:59 PM
yeah im still interested, just havent had time to do much research on it...

crawlrunner
02-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Use the money for a class on a mig welder instead & steel. Its easy, the instructions tell you how to weld ... even in spanish.

crawlrunner
02-11-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm serious. I don't know how much a class costs but for less than $500 you can have your own welder. A decent book and the instructions and scrap metal and voila, your own welding class ... and then fab shop ... of course one thing LEADS TO ANOTHER and ANOTHER ... But it is lot's of fun for us GEAR HEADS! I aint no 'roket sientist' and I'm progressin' ...

gregers05
02-11-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm serious. I don't know how much a class costs but for less than $500 you can have your own welder. A decent book and the instructions and scrap metal and voila, your own welding class ... and then fab shop ... of course one thing LEADS TO ANOTHER and ANOTHER ... But it is lot's of fun for us GEAR HEADS! I aint no 'roket sientist' and I'm progressin' ...

yeah i may consider it, but my only problem is, is that i dont have a dedicated cuircut for one, and im moving to auburn at the end of the summer so i wont be home much which is good for me and bad for the truck lol

crawlrunner
02-11-2007, 08:17 AM
yeah i may consider it, but my only problem is, is that i dont have a dedicated cuircut for one, and im moving to auburn at the end of the summer so i wont be home much which is good for me and bad for the truck lol

If U got access to a clothes dryer plug, you just make a heavy gage extension cord/adaptor. I can see U shutting down the laundry room in the dorms/apartments 'cause U need the dryer plug for welding on your truck. U could weld big spikes on the front bumper for your next victim. :p

gregers05
02-11-2007, 08:52 AM
If U got access to a clothes dryer plug, you just make a heavy gage extension cord/adaptor. I can see U shutting down the laundry room in the dorms/apartments 'cause U need the dryer plug for welding on your truck. U could weld big spikes on the front bumper for your next victim. :p

haha. yeah it will be an appartment so i will only be able to piss off my roomates, and the spikes are a good idea as long as i dont t-bone somebody lol

crawlrunner
02-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Hmm thats even better there can only be a couple of them to worry about. Just do the spike thing on your bumper & get a mohawk, that should intimidate them enough so they dont even ask questions ... lest they get run into! :eek: