: Proposed San Diego, CA-area seasonal closures

elgecko
01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/projects/projects/seasonal-closures/index.shtml

The Forest Service is proposing seasonal closures to protect nesting raptors. The proposed closures will affect the following areas:

- Rock Mountain
- Eagle Peak
- Corte Madera
- El Cajon Mountain

Comments will be accepted until January 31, 2007!

miguelitro
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I dont think that those areas have any trails...they are close to many but not containing the actual trails:confused:

sleepyratt
01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
if they do I'd want to def check them out before they (possibly) close em. Anyone else have info on them?

miguelitro
01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Corte madera- north of espinosa truck trail, fun for stockers and beginners
Eagle peak- no wheeling really over there, some truck trial/ranch roads but they are mostly just dirt roads
Rock Mountain and El Cajon mountain- there is one truck trail jus tto the east of these peaks that is fun and scenic with no difficult sections at all.

There are numerous mountain bike and ILLEGAL motorcycle trails in some of those areas...as well as some hiking. I guess i need to read further into this as I'm not sure yet where i stand on these proposed closures
Mike

elgecko
01-10-2007, 10:50 AM
As much as I hate to sound reactionary...while the proposed closures would affect specific areas with little to no wheeling, that may not remain the case.

Certain cliffs in Zion National Park are subject to seasonal raptor closures. Unfortunately, they're not necessarily the same cliffs every year. The closure list is issued after the raptors have chosen their nesting sites.

So if a protected raptor decided to roost in an area with offroading trails that wasn't on the list, would that area remain open to land users?

miguelitro
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
As I said there is only one actual off road trail that could be effected the rest are dirt roads that will not be closed as they are used by people to get to their homes and ranches. I need to remember the name of the jeep club that sponsers the espinosa trail and see wha tthey are saying abou this.
Mike

elgecko
01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
True...I'm just suggesting that what the FS construes as appropriate for those 4 areas could easily be applied to ANY part of the Cleaveland National Forest or any national forest for that matter.