TTORA Forum banner

Rock lights

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  JRD 
#1 ·
#7 ·
YUNADERIS said:
will they be the that price for a bit? at least till my next paycheck?
haha... me too :) TOMORROW!!! WOOHOO!

i have no idea

#8 ·
Me like!

nastynate said:
well i decided phong shouldn't be the only one posting here :)

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=169

$8.50 w/ free shipping

as seen on yotatech...
Glad to see someone other than Phong finding some great deals! :D

I just added four to my Xmas list. Two for the bottom of the truck and two for the front bumper. I like small lights that put out a lot of light.

The plan is to have one facing forward and aft around the carrier bearing for rocks. what do you think about that as an idea? or would the beam of light be too narrow?

#9 ·
Bear said:
The plan is to have one facing forward and aft around the carrier bearing for rocks. what do you think about that as an idea? or would the beam of light be too narrow?
dont' know... haven't seen them perform yet. if it does work, i'll probably do the same thing.

i was planning on strapping two on the underside of my sliders (two for each side), pointing them down and out.

#10 ·
i was planning on strapping two on the underside of my sliders (two for each side), pointing them down and out.[/QUOTE]

I have seen that tried before, I am no expert by any means, but straping them to the sliders (bottom side) isn't such a great idea. I have seen them ripped right off the sliders.

The sliders are there for a reason…protection and keeping the rocks away from your body panels. If you put the lights there, you are defeating the purpose of the sliders.

When I mount anything to the bottom of my truck, I always try to keep them above the "slider line" that way I know they should be protected under "normal situations"

Ignore the signature, I am still working on it!

#11 ·
Bear said:
I have seen that tried before, I am no expert by any means, but straping them to the sliders (bottom side) isn't such a great idea. I have seen them ripped right off the sliders.

The sliders are there for a reason…protection and keeping the rocks away from your body panels. If you put the lights there, you are defeating the purpose of the sliders.

When I mount anything to the bottom of my truck, I always try to keep them above the "slider line" that way I know they should be protected under "normal situations"
good point!

i was going to use the slider tubes (nearest to the frame) as a mounting point, but the lights would be *higher* than the sliders

so the lights themselves wouldn't be in danger, just the mounts.

#12 ·
nastynate said:
good point!

i was going to use the slider tubes (nearest to the frame) as a mounting point, but the lights would be *higher* than the sliders

so the lights themselves wouldn't be in danger, just the mounts.
That makes more sense to me now, but I would still have some reservations.

Without mounts the lights are useless. I would be interested in seeing how you do it. I may be thinking completely out my ass on this one!

Another thing to consider about installing rock lights. They can double as great work lights as someone else suggested. I think if they were too far "outboard" you would limit your ability to use them as work lights. If they were mounted up under the body of the truck you could still point/use them for any under chassis work.

Again, I am not trying to shoot down your idea just throwing out all possibilities and reasoning here.

#13 ·
Bear said:
That makes more sense to me now, but I would still have some reservations.

Without mounts the lights are useless. I would be interested in seeing how you do it. I may be thinking completely out my ass on this one!

Another thing to consider about installing rock lights. They can double as great work lights as someone else suggested. I think if they were too far "outboard" you would limit your ability to use them as work lights. If they were mounted up under the body of the truck you could still point/use them for any under chassis work.

Again, I am not trying to shoot down your idea just throwing out all possibilities and reasoning here.
No, that's cool. I don't even know what type of mounts i'd use for that setup.
Probably have to make them from Lowes' parts. If i couldn't do that, i'd have to find a different place to put them.

#17 ·
I went through the process of placing an order (for some other items), and paying thru PayPal, and noticed that they were gonna tax me twice!! $44.00 (Order total) + $3.30 (7.5% tax) = $47.30. When I got to the final confirmation page, I noticed the total jumped to $50.85 because they taxed the $47.30 another 7.5%. WTF? Needless to say, I did not follow thru.

#18 ·
JRD said:
Will do, I just got a new Camera too so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone! :D

Oh hey, noticed you're in Royal PITA, not sure if its the same PITA but my dad is the Webmaster for the PITA (http://www.shootpita.com/) website!

no, unfortunately i am not affiliated with shootpita...

my sig is more a smartaleck remark symbolizing me as a pain in the ass.... :) .....tis more of a joke :xdevil:

#21 ·
nastynate said:
No, that's cool. I don't even know what type of mounts i'd use for that setup.
Probably have to make them from Lowes' parts. If i couldn't do that, i'd have to find a different place to put them.
Don't get me wrong! experimentation is always a good thing. My truck has plenty of "lowes parts" on it as well. I am definitely interested in where you end up mounting them. I have some other ideas for the under belly of my truck so anything that will work for someone else would only help me with my other ideas as well.

#25 ·
nastynate said:
well i decided phong shouldn't be the only one posting here :)

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=169

$8.50 w/ free shipping

as seen on yotatech...
good price and good lights.
I installed two for bed lights a while back replacing the fog lights that I had. These put out a nice wide flood light that is perfect for backup lights or rock lights. dick foster has them on his rig as well.

I got mine from 4wheelparts for more than your price AND I had to pay $5 shipping.

#26 ·
how are these for waterproofing? got a couple creeks to fordge every no and then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.