: Is the K N intake worth it ???

blackoctober2002
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey looking for some info on the KN intake for a 2002 v6 3.4l , is it worth getting? Is there any drawbacks? What are the pros and Cons

ewood
03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Do a search, there is tons of information on this topic with lots of discussion and varying opinions. I have the FIPK and like it, I'll leave it at that.

MidwestTaco95
03-02-2005, 03:11 PM
i have it too, i like it too, the gas milage went down, but its worth it,(it sounds really good)

jon_7248
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
personally I dont like the K&N intake all that much. I cleaned out my intake plenium on my old '87 4runner when I moved over to the K&N filters at 120K. 80K later it had more buildup of crap in the intake (and TB was getting sticky) than it did before. Im thinking it was all that oil crap and have known others that had similar problems.

Now I also know that the TRD airfilters actually flow and perform better than the K&N ones. Atleast for my old 22RE, not sure about these new rigs. Most of the information I know if kinda old. But was perfect for my old '87 4runner.

Im thinking of removing the air silencer tube and just keeping the toyota filter (non oily ones)

MidwestTaco95
03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
personally I dont like the K&N intake all that much. I cleaned out my intake plenium on my old '87 4runner when I moved over to the K&N filters at 120K. 80K later it had more buildup of crap in the intake (and TB was getting sticky) than it did before. Im thinking it was all that oil crap and have known others that had similar problems.

Now I also know that the TRD airfilters actually flow and perform better than the K&N ones. Atleast for my old 22RE, not sure about these new rigs. Most of the information I know if kinda old. But was perfect for my old '87 4runner.

Im thinking of removing the air silencer tube and just keeping the toyota filter (non oily ones)
I have had to clean out my tube before also, it also had the oily stuff in it, thats due to, i believe, over oiling the filter.

jon_7248
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I found out that when I cleaned my intake plenium out, it was great sounding, mpg, and seemed a bit nicer. I just got tired of the thought of cleaning it out all the time (PITA to take off) so I just chose to go back to non oily filters.... if that oily stuff is what gets caught in the plenium... imagine what it will do in the firring chamber, not as clean burning I think.

StemsCornfedTaco
03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I put an AEM Short Ram Intake on mine, I have a 2.7 in my truck and it helped a good bit with throttle response and gas mileage etc. I dont have anything bad to say about it other than I wish it came with a Filter Skin or a Shield, something to keep the mud off the filter. I got it from www.Sounddomain.com.

FlipSideUp
03-02-2005, 06:55 PM

You over-oiled the filter, that's why. I did the same, and had to clean out the tube. K&N oughto make the refill kits with just enough oil per bottle for 1 average size filter. Or better yet, provide reference marks on the bottle, and provide a guide to the amount of oil to be used based on filter size.

If I remember correctly, the instructions say a liberal amount of oil should be applied, and to me, liberal means alot!! Maybe they could also re-word their instructions, or add "but do not oversaturate" the filter element.

Kyota
03-02-2005, 07:21 PM
The gain is too small for me to stick on in my truck. I actually took it out...not a FIPK but just slide in filter. Too damn oily for a start. Stock filter are suppose to clean the air better too. Amsiol is suppose to be the best drop in filter. KandN's stickers are also too damn ugly for being cool, haha.

taco23
03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
No, it sucks... and do a search on this topic. It's been beaten to death many times over already. BTW, welcome to the board, noob!

Live4yotas
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't know man I put a k&n filter on my magnum 500 4x4 polaris 4 wheeler and it was a great improvement. With k&n air filter the 4 wheeler sounds the same without a filter as it does with k&n. I do intend on putting on an my truck soon. But I'm just adding the filter not all the other crap I have the 3" deck plate mod.

renzo626
03-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I have the exact same truck with a K&N filter on the intake. However, it was on when I bought my truck so I can't tell you the differnece, however I had a civic once that had one and the difference was very noticable. Easy to clean too. Are you talking about a whole intake with filter or just a filter to go in the stock box (if they even make one)?

Live4yotas
03-02-2005, 07:50 PM
filter to go in the stock box

Live4yotas
03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I cousin has one in his stock box that is made by k&n but his is a 3.4 V6. I have a 2.7L 4 banger.

dougtrd
03-02-2005, 07:52 PM
I use a k&n drop in with a 4" deck plate mod, works great, sounds great, and definately makes a difference in performance and throtle response...I would recommend trying the mod befor dropping the $$ on the FIPK...

Live4yotas
03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I will I'm going to do that and a electric fan. Also planning on a header or the 2.7L. I'm putting 38's on soon so I'm looking to get a few more ponies. I have 5.29 gears and i run 36's now and the truck runs great but I'm going from a 64 pd. tire to a 80 pd. tire and from a 15x10 to a 15x12.