TTORA Forum banner

rack and pinion.

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  pitpok4x4 
#1 ·
Anybody know how much it costs to replace the rack and pinion on a 98 extended cab. I took my car in for alignment after hitting the tree and a guy told me I might have to replace the rack and pinion. Since I am a total newb I only know that it has something to do with the steering. I didn't notice any huge difference when driving other than the alignment needed to be done. Is it an absolute must to replace if it isn't badly damaged?

#3 ·
I would get a second opinion. Alot of times, the rack and pinion is mistakenly misdiagnosed as needing replacement because it "moves" or has alot of play in it when turning the steering wheel. Usually, all that means is that the bushings need to be replaced. Energy Suspension makes replacement bushings for our rack and pinions that 4x4 shops sell for about $15-$20.

If the rack really does need to be replaced, then like Jeremy said, you can sometimes find a good one for a decent price from someone on here that's ditching it in favor of converting to a solid axle front.

#4 ·
cool. thanks. I just called and told them to hold off. I will go and get a second opinion tomorrow. Another quick question. If if they don't replace it can they still do the alignment? Cause I really need the alignment done, my passenger right tire is wearing out way fast.

#5 ·
renorider40 said:
cool. thanks. I just called and told them to hold off. I will go and get a second opinion tomorrow. Another quick question. If if they don't replace it can they still do the alignment? Cause I really need the alignment done, my passenger right tire is wearing out way fast.
Under what diag process did they come to conclusion the rack was bent? They can put it on the alignment rack, comp the wheels adjust things, etc... but if you end up replacing the rack then you'll have to get another alignment done... your toe adjustments are on the rack. And replacing a rack on a Taco is relatively easy... you might want to look into replacing it yourself if you have tools and any mechanical inclination

#13 ·
I just replcaced my rack and pinion myslef and was really not that hard to do. Just make sure you have a breaker bar....one of those bolts is really really tight.
The direct swap of the RandP was the easy part but the aftermarket fitting that goes from the powersteering pump ihose into the rack had a broken seal. There was NOWAY to replace the seal in that aftermarket fitting. Also there was NO ONE that had this fitting. My truck was just about undrivable (leaking powersteering fluid everywhere). I finnally found a custom hydrolic hose company that fabed a replacment part. I have not had any problems in a month and one wheeling trip.
I think that the fitting came from the lift that was already on the truck when i bought it.
I hope that this was some what helpful but mostly just ranting. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.