: Going to be in OH

drguitarum2005
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey fellas, I'm a regular over at the Georgia chapter forum and formerly of the Texas chapter forum. Starting in the fall I'm going to be working for GE's aviation department in Evendale. I hope to be able to meet up with some of yall to do some wheelin while i'm there. I'm used to a lot of dirt and mud being from Texas and having wheeled in GA. How is the wheeling in OH? What kind of terrain is it?

Also, for anyone that may know, I'm just trying to get a feel for what Evendale (specifically the area around the GE building) is like. Is it a nice area or not so much? Also, what's the weather like up in OH? I've never lived any more north than Atlanta. Thanks guys!

phishtaco
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I live in cincy but no longer own a Tacoma....Anyway, wheeling is a couple of hours away in KY/IN/WV and even Winrock/Tellico aren't too far away.
What do you want to know about cincy?

99TanTaco
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
as for terrain click on the link in my sig, all the wellsville pics are here in OH

as for the weather here it's totally unpredictable, it can be 40deg one day and 10deg the next, usually it doesn't go much below 0 or higher than the mid 90s

OFRD_GRL
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Currently it is ranging between -2 and +20 degrees. This is a REALLY cold winter though, kind of abnormal. There are 4 seasons here as opposed to pretty warm all year :) So you get a good variance of temperatures all year. :D

Im not familiar with that area... but it appears to be kinda close to Cincinnatti which is a very large city.

I am about 4ish hours from where your going to be (so are alot of the regulars on here) Im sure we can arrange something and all get together for some wheeling or what have you :)

Jeebs01
02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Welcome - look forward to meeting ya. Ohio is cold winter - Cinci i think gets a lot of Ice moreso than snow; however right now i think they are under about 3-6in of snow due to the last system. Ohio (at least NE ohio) can be very cloudy. Enjoy the southern sun while you can :)

You kinda made it sound like a couple month venture - how long are you going to be up here?

RedRunnertc
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Right around the Evendale facility is pretty nice - lots of trees, kinda out of town. Really pretty along the river too.

The closest 'wheeling to you will be in KY. Wellsville is all the way across the state. We haven't had good luck recruiting people in that corner of the state - I think a lot of them are on the KY chapter board.

drguitarum2005
02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. I may be crazy but i actually WANT a real winter (for now) seeing as how ive never really had a real winter. im looking forward to maybe a change in terrain for wheelin also. from a little online research it seems evendale is a suburb of cinci that seems to be pretty nice. the big city of cinci doesnt really concern me being from smack in the middle of houston and living in a not-so-great area of atlanta currently. im really looking forward to working there!

Welcome - look forward to meeting ya. Ohio is cold winter - Cinci i think gets a lot of Ice moreso than snow; however right now i think they are under about 3-6in of snow due to the last system. Ohio (at least NE ohio) can be very cloudy. Enjoy the southern sun while you can :)

You kinda made it sound like a couple month venture - how long are you going to be up here?

i dont know how you picked up on that but good call! this is my co-op while i'm in college (at Georgia Tech) so ill be there alternating semesters. hopefully long enough for some good wheelin trips!

thanks again guys, i appreciate it

Jeebs01
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys. I may be crazy but i actually WANT a real winter (for now) seeing as how ive never really had a real winter.

Bring your ski/snowboard with ya, we will get a trip to the snowbelt areas, you might get a little bit of snow up there :)

drguitarum2005
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Bring your ski/snowboard with ya, we will get a trip to the snowbelt areas, you might get a little bit of snow up there :)

thats what i forgot to ask...whats the skiing/snowboarding like around there? i LOVE snowboarding and manage to get up to NC a few times to do it (though i don't own my equipment yet) and i would love to go while up there!

Jeebs01
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
thats what i forgot to ask...whats the skiing/snowboarding like around there? i LOVE snowboarding and manage to get up to NC a few times to do it (though i don't own my equipment yet) and i would love to go while up there!

I like Peak n Peak in NewYork the best (for me - its closest for the size). Thats a good 7 hour drive from you though. Its a 3 hour drive for me. Just close enough I can go, board for 6 or 7 hours, and drive home same day. There is a place on the west side of columbus (Mad River?) but my brother said it wasn't anything special. That one is about 1 hour from you. There is Boston Mills/Brandywine in the Cleveland area too. Its only 30 minutes from my place. I know there are some really good places in WV - Snoe Show, but I have never visited. I sure there are some in KY too, just don't know of any.

What months are you planning on being up here? Jan/Feb are the best, March gets you some good late season discounts.

drguitarum2005
02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
What months are you planning on being up here? Jan/Feb are the best, March gets you some good late season discounts.

unfortunately, this year ill be there from august-december, then the next summer from may-august and THEN from january-may

RedRunnertc
02-07-2007, 01:59 PM
The skiing out there SUCKS.

But then, I live in Colorado now :woot:

Jeebs01
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Yea yea yea, were two hours ahead of you though...:p

drguitarum2005
02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
The skiing out there SUCKS.

But then, I live in Colorado now :woot:

lol i dont expect any rocky mountains or anything! ive been skiing in colorado before (winter park, breckenridge, keystone) and then going to icy NC after that is kinda lame but hey, ill take what I can get!

ugly's ok
02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Dont for get Snow shoe in WV

bradleyem
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm in Columbus, about an hour away from Cinci. I also work at GE Evandale occasionally. As mentioned before the closest good wheelin' will be in KY. There is also a place just East of Columbus (Painted Rock) that is pretty good. Badlands in Indianna also wouldn't be too far. As far as skiing and boarding goes, there aren't many really good places in OH. Mad River Mountain is NE of Columbus. They have some small hills and they did have a decent snowboard course at one time, but the manmade snow pretty much bites. There is also Snow Trails in Mansfield and there used to be Clear Fork also near Mansfield, but I think that Clear Fork is closed and the property is being sold.

OFRD_GRL
02-07-2007, 07:21 PM
maybe you can successfully get me snowboarding :)
i mean im funny on a snow board now but id like to get successful at it :)

ive been once and got to the point where i could get back on my feet fast and fall and roll. but the turning/slowing thing i dont get so swell. and well im GREAT at finding my edges, so great in fact that i face plant LOL

RedRunnertc
02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I would pay big money to watch that

OFRD_GRL
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
it is funny. my entire ass was black and blue and i had snow packed places it really didnt belong lol

RedRunnertc
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Too

many

jokes!

Going

to

explode!

:rofl:

OFRD_GRL
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
listen here. i said snow, not fudge. which your accustomed to.

OFRD_GRL
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
wow if THAT isnt a thread hi-jack i dunno what is :D

ugly's ok
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM
:xofftopic

bradleyem
02-08-2007, 07:41 AM
:woot: for Ohio threadjacking!

If you're gonna come to Ohio, and you're gonna' get on the Ohio board then you have to learn to have patience because us Ohians can't :spw:

Jeebs01
02-08-2007, 07:51 AM
LOL Welcome to oHIo.

:xofftopic :xozzy:

Bear
02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
David, I am not in Ohio, nor do I know anything about where you are going to be co-oping at. But I am also from Texas, living in Indiana currently!

With you being from Houston, and living in "hotlanta" you are in for a rude awakening!

I have been up here for two winters now. and I am already to move back to Texas! it is colder than a witches tit and the snow is an adventure if you have never driven in it before.

The summers are mild, actually quite pleasant if you are from the South like us.

Wheel'n in Ohio is challenging…because they really don't have any.LOL go to Kentucky or come over to Indy for the Badlands! It isn't anything like Gilmer or Katemcy, but I can get you some body damage. The trails up here are tighter than what is in Texas with more trees and less rocks.

When you get up here, look me up. I am really not that far from you (up here they think a three hour drive to get across the state is a long drive, But us Texans know what a long drive is…took me 9 hours to out of state when I was in San Antonio)

OFRD_GRL
02-08-2007, 08:56 AM
i still need to make it to the badlands LOL

drguitarum2005
02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
David, I am not in Ohio, nor do I know anything about where you are going to be co-oping at. But I am also from Texas, living in Indiana currently!

With you being from Houston, and living in "hotlanta" you are in for a rude awakening!

I have been up here for two winters now. and I am already to move back to Texas! it is colder than a witches tit and the snow is an adventure if you have never driven in it before.

The summers are mild, actually quite pleasant if you are from the South like us.

Wheel'n in Ohio is challenging…because they really don't have any.LOL go to Kentucky or come over to Indy for the Badlands! It isn't anything like Gilmer or Katemcy, but I can get you some body damage. The trails up here are tighter than what is in Texas with more trees and less rocks.

When you get up here, look me up. I am really not that far from you (up here they think a three hour drive to get across the state is a long drive, But us Texans know what a long drive is…took me 9 hours to out of state when I was in San Antonio)

haha i hear that on the hot weather and the cold winters! ironically, i LOVE cold and get way too hot when other people feel fine. you'd think itd be the other way around given the summers and "winters" im used to. anyway, i LOVE snow and have driven in it a time or two, so i'm not too worried. i could be sayin differently once i spend a good winter more north though...

i know what you mean about the long drive, when it takes 18 hours to get from the southern tip to the northern tip of the panhandle, we know what a long drive is! I consider anything within a 9-hour radius within "driving" distance for a good weekend, lol. i make the 12-13 hour drive between houston and atlanta a few times a year, so im getting more used to long drives.