: Passenger front camber

BoostedTurd
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey guys... i dont come around here much anymore, but I have a question for the older, and wiser (then me) Toyota techs...

I recently had my 2001 4runner in the body shop due to an accident on the driver side... when i got it back, i noticed the passenger front tire rubbing. The guy at the shop told me that Toyota specs were to have the passenger front wheel cambered back slightly, to adjust for the pitch in the road. So when the previous owner had the oversized tires installed, he probably had the camber tweaked, to keep the tires from rubbing.....

does this sound correct?

RedRunnertc
02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Adjusting the CASTER can help minimize rubbing by basically adjusting the wheelbase.

DriftinCO
02-11-2007, 07:08 AM
J&S Alignment in the Springs (near Rex Tire) does awesome work on alignments. They are one of only two shops that have done aligns on my Taco. And when it comes to tires, Rex Tire is the best.

sexy.taco
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey guys... i dont come around here much anymore, but I have a question for the older, and wiser (then me) Toyota techs...

I recently had my 2001 4runner in the body shop due to an accident on the driver side... when i got it back, i noticed the passenger front tire rubbing. The guy at the shop told me that Toyota specs were to have the passenger front wheel cambered back slightly, to adjust for the pitch in the road. So when the previous owner had the oversized tires installed, he probably had the camber tweaked, to keep the tires from rubbing.....

does this sound correct?
cambered back???? Are you talking about negative camber? It almost sounds like you are describing caster....? When I used to do alignments I would adjust caster a few 10ths of a degree to accomodate for road crown. Toyota recommends adjusting camber, but camber is a tire wearing angle... Did you get a spec sheet after the alignment. I would be interested in knowing what specs he came up with... It should not be rubbing, especially since it sounds as though you have a stock 4Runner with no mods (including tires)... just my opinion :)

DriftinCO
02-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Any updates on that beautiful 4Runner yet?

BoostedTurd
02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Any updates on that beautiful 4Runner yet?

yeah...

normally, I wont bash a shop, or the owner, but this is getting beyond rediculous. Jeff at Body and Fender is a pretty good guy. But since he has had my truck back twice now after the original repairs were completed, and I have been assured both times it wa good to go, it is not. After reading what you guys have had to say, i am starting to think Jeff does not know what he is talking about himself. I understand drivetrains, and brakes.... i am just breaking myself in on suspension however... I called Jeff back, and told him the rubbing was unacceptable, due to the fact that the truck did not rub at all before the accident.... he told me to bring it in, and he would take care of it. After he looked at the truck, he explained that in making it so it wouldnt rub, he would be taking the alignment out of Toyota specs. I told him that was fine, to make the rub go away.... I got the truck back yesterday, and imagine this! It rubs! I am now pissed off.... I do have 32" tires on the truck, which are slightly over sized from stock, but it never used to rub! I am going to take it to J and S next week, so they can have a look... If it comes down to needing a lift, i guess its time for a lift.... and bigger tires.... and gears.... and a water/meth kit.... and a smaller pully...

shit.... this is why i try not to mod anything anymore....... :D

RedRunnertc
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Are you sure the frame isn't bent or the body panels are in the right place?

DriftinCO
02-17-2007, 06:51 AM
:p I'll take it off your hands for $500. Or trade a Camry for it.

BoostedTurd
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
:p I'll take it off your hands for $500. Or trade a Camry for it.

hmm... sounds tempting....

Is the super sleeper, Camry Street racer still on the drawing boards?

I think I am going to J&S tomorrow....

Craig mentioned something about the A arm being bent, and causing this, with good alignment readings.... Does that ring any bells?

Prodigy
02-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I will give you $750.00!

Good Luck!

blown4runner
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
lower or upper...? Both could cause alignment issues, your lower control arm is tied directly into your camber/caster adjustments, meaning the camber/caster eccentric bolts are what holds the lower a arm in place... hope that helps :)