: Looking to buy a new 2005, A Newbie To 4x4

96redformula
03-04-2005, 03:55 PM
I am on a limited budget as I am in college and have to be able to keep my payments as low as possible. I am looking right now into getting a 2005 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L I4 Manual with 4x4.

Again, I have no 4x4 experience and it is a big deal here in El Paso. I would like a truck that can go out and handle a bunch of large sand dunes and some offroading, nothing major. So I just want to be able to tackle some sand dunes here and not struggle doing it. Is this truck I am looking at going to suit my needs. I realize the v6 is a better option, but it is one that I can't afford. As well as the i4 being better on gas. I am looking into a good warranty and few problems. In the future I will be looking into raising my truck, adding bigger tires, etc, but not for the time being. Any advise of anything I should be aware of?

P.S.- This is coming from a guy that owns a 12 second all bolt on Trans Am LT1. :)

Shibumi
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the fun!
I just got a 05 double cab, SR5/TRD auto v-6 and I love it...
As far as dunes, etc. it MAY be more prudent to go with a 04.
The reasoning is that it will be cheaper, lighter, and they are an exceptional vehicle.
I love my 05, but Im not sure I would be comfortable with it in a I-4.
Not enough power to weight ratio for me.
Im sure I will be countered on this, but take one out for a drive and get on it getting on a freeway. Try the 04 and 05. My mileage with the V6 is 300 miles to a tank. IF I stay under 80MPH.
I also drive 90 miles roundtrip a day. For me its worth it, but at least check out all your options!
Im in college as well as working full time, so I know what your going through.
Good luck...

TACOMONSTER
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
I've Been At The Dunes Before And Seen V6 Tacoma's Flying Up Hills With No Problems, You Have To Be Careful Though. Driving In The Sand Puts Alot Of Stress On The Motor Because Of How Much Wheelspin You Get. I Would Suggest A Manual Tranny V6 For What Your Doing With It. Good Luck.

AS FOR THE I4, IT'LL BE A LITTLE BETTER ON GAS BUT HAVE LESS MUSCLE TO GET YOU UP SANDY HILLS. FOR SAND YOU CANT GET ANY BETTER THAN A V8 THOUGH.

Shakerhood
03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
An 04 might be better too because the 05s have the frame dragging low ground clearance, you dont want to high center on the top of a sand dune!

96redformula
03-05-2005, 01:38 AM
So then you all reccomend finding an older used v6 tacoma right?

BigBadBob0
03-05-2005, 01:45 AM
If price is a concern I'd recommend finding a new '04 somewhere. It should be on the cheap if its still sitting on a lot.

The older tacomas are definitely better understood by people here. But I think secretly we all want a new one.

hezy
03-05-2005, 06:51 AM
I got an 04 V6 4X4 double cab that was sitting on the lot when the 05's were coming out for 5 thousand off sticker price. Check around. The Toyota dealer here in my area(Detroit,Mich) still has an 04 2.7 4cyl regular cab manual brand new on there lot. I'm sure you could get al least 6K off the sticker on that one.

96redformula
03-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I found a couple, Tell me what you think......
Classified ad:
2003 Tacoma Crew Cab V6
Mileage: 30K
$16,995

Dealership:
2003 Tacoma Crew Cab V6
Miileage:26k
Price:Not Listed(waiting for call back)

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
Mileage Unknown, Price Unknown (same dealership)

What do you all think about those possibilities?

BigBadBob0
03-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Any dealership that lists tacomas as having "crew cabs" is a bit scary. I wonder if they sell Nissans too?

Look at blue book trade-in values for those cars. More than likely the dealership paid less than that to buy the car off of the person trading it in. So make sure you negotiate your price.

volley
03-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Go around to your local Yota dealers and look for NEW 04s on the lot. You can get what you are looking for very cheap right now, even as cheap as a used one. I know my dealer still has a few on their lots I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

whitetrd
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Get an 04 or 03 with low miles. The new ones are just flat out ugly!