: All-Pro's new Transmission skids are now ready!

ScottyC
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
All-Pro is announcing the release of our Transmission Skid Plates. These skid plate protect the vulnerable transmissions from damage on the trail. They are made of 3/16" mild steel that has been bent on a press for a perfect fit. The fit both manual and automatic transmission vehciles.

These skid plates will ONLY WORK WITH OUR FRONT IFS SKIDS.. They are 100% bolt-on and bolt to the factory crossmember as well as out front IFS Skid Plate.

Introductory price will be $89/ea.

They will ship bare metal.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/fjcruiser/skidplatesmall.jpg

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/fjcruiser/skidplate2small.jpg

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/fjcruiser/skidplatesmall2.jpg

george.arnold
02-14-2007, 11:21 PM
damn! that thing looks nice!

jhunter
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I guess I am going to be forced to ditch the ARB & get one of your front bumpers. Your front IFS skids only work with your bumper, and your new trans skid only works with your front IFS skid. Looks good. Is there any plan to make a skid that will work as a single unit?

ScottyC
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Our skids work fine with the ARB bumper... But, if you want to get rid of an extra 70lbs, by all means ditch it! LOL

jhunter
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Our skids work fine with the ARB bumper... But, if you want to get rid of an extra 70lbs, by all means ditch it! LOL

Oh, sorry. I e-mailed someone over there a while back and was told that the skids would only work with the allpro front bumper. I guess I will be placing an order. Thanks.

ShowStop
02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
These skid plate protect the vulnerable transmissions from damage on the trail.
Are they really that vulnerable? Usually whats more vulnerable is the transfer case. Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks. :2cents:

jhunter
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I guess if you fall down on a rock that larger, your going to have other issues to deal with, but at least the trans will not be one of them if the skid holds up. More options for the transfer case is what we need. Im not familiar with those clocking deals, still reaserching them.

ocdropzone
02-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Sweet product, but how about one for the '05 Tacomas?

hytenor
02-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks. :2cents:
good point. that thing creates a place to hang up, frankly. I'd flip that sucker over so it is flush with the xmember and able to just slide over stuff.
add some 1" sides at a 45* angle for gusseting.

mir207
02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
good point. that thing creates a place to hang up, frankly. I'd flip that sucker over so it is flush with the xmember and able to just slide over stuff.
add some 1" sides at a 45* angle for gusseting.

I agree with the argument that one could get hung up on the edges of the AP plate, but the nice thing is that the AP plates provide a philospohical alternative to underside plating. The kind of smooth "slide over it" approach is already available in the form of the MAF/4+ plates (picture below - had to include it, that's my truck :) ) and some of the others. The AP plates much more closely hugs the underside of the body as a design philosophy...

ScottyC
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Are they really that vulnerable? Usually whats more vulnerable is the transfer case. Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks. :2cents:

Yes, they are. :) I have seen a few dented tranny pans already in fact. And, we will also be building a tcase skid as well.

The problem with the flat bottom skids out right now is that they sit too low. What's the point in a flat bottom skid when you are highcentered on it and can't move anyway? Also, the design will also work with the new crossmember in the works.

mir207
02-15-2007, 10:40 PM
The problem with the flat bottom skids out right now is that they sit too low. What's the point in a flat bottom skid when you are highcentered on it and can't move anyway? Also, the design will also work with the new crossmember in the works.

Given where the exhaust cross over, muffler and fuel tanks sit, you probably can't make a flat bottomed skid that isn't "too low", right (what is "too low" anyway :) ?) That's a symantics issue... I've only ever been stuck on the ridge that has to be in the skid to cover the exhaust cross over - without that ridge, I think I would have slid over... Will you guys be extending further at some point? How will you deal with the exhaust cross-over? I've seen that dealt with by changing the pipe to hug closer to the vehicle further down the vehicle and behind the tcase:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/2459-new-exhaust-pics.html?highlight=exhaust+fix

hytenor
02-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Yes, they are. :) I have seen a few dented tranny pans already in fact. And, we will also be building a tcase skid as well.

I still say a flat bottom and the ability to slide over stuff is a better way to go regardless of how low the complete plate is. Having that tranny skid up above the other plates like that only creates a spot to get hung up on, IMO. If the lowest point in a set of skids is all basically the same or at least has smooth transitions from plate to plate the rig can be pulled or pushed over anything that might high-center it. But, if you creat one high spot like that with a damn-near 90* angle you wind up with a real sticking point in the middle of the truck that can make it very hard to recover from.
:2cents:

ScottyC
02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I still say a flat bottom and the ability to slide over stuff is a better way to go regardless of how low the complete plate is. Having that tranny skid up above the other plates like that only creates a spot to get hung up on, IMO. If the lowest point in a set of skids is all basically the same or at least has smooth transitions from plate to plate the rig can be pulled or pushed over anything that might high-center it. But, if you creat one high spot like that with a damn-near 90* angle you wind up with a real sticking point in the middle of the truck that can make it very hard to recover from.
:2cents:

This is the inherent problem with all Toyotas out of the factory. They use that silly monster crossmember to hold everything up killing all ground clearance. Even my 88' 4runner had one. IMO, it wouldn't make much difference at all if it was a flat skid at that location. With the long wheelbase, and low crossmember, you're gonna need a strap to get over a sand dune, let alone a rock. You can always use reverse if its holding you up as well.

We simply don't see the point of adding things further below the factory crossmember to take even more ground clearance away. We've protected what is important under there. Its also far enough forward that I doubt it will be an issue. The Tcase area is by far more important and we are working on that as well.

green96taco
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
very sexy

VooDoo FJ
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I wish that they came powdercoated already.

Paul
02-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I wish that they came powdercoated already.
Spray paint it. Its something that is going to get scratched, plus you have to get on your ass to even see it.

hytenor
02-17-2007, 06:53 PM
This is the inherent problem with all Toyotas out of the factory. They use that silly monster crossmember to hold everything up killing all ground clearance. Even my 88' 4runner had one. IMO, it wouldn't make much difference at all if it was a flat skid at that location. With the long wheelbase, and low crossmember, you're gonna need a strap to get over a sand dune, let alone a rock. You can always use reverse if its holding you up as well.

We simply don't see the point of adding things further below the factory crossmember to take even more ground clearance away. We've protected what is important under there. Its also far enough forward that I doubt it will be an issue. The Tcase area is by far more important and we are working on that as well.

you really don't have to add much below the xmember, ie. 3/16".

something like this:
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/tranny%20skid/photos/tanny%20skid%20%202.jpg
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/tranny%20skid/photos/tanny%20skid%20%204.jpg

the tcase skid then butts up against that at the mid-point of the xmember.
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/t-case%20skid/photos/t-case%20skid%20028.jpg
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/t-case%20skid/photos/t-case%20skid%20026.jpg

My point is that you can slide over a rock just fine until you hit that xmember with its 90* angle and 2" 'wedge point and the truck will just stop right there. No strap will get it moving forward. You'll have to back up and reset the line. (I know, so what? :p) We're not talking a lot of extra metal here so why not just make it a flat skid for the whole length? I really don't think a loss of 3/16" of clearance is a big deal.

Paul
02-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I have skids very similar to those.