02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Geek talk for you techies

bradleyem
02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Geek talk for you techies

LOL Thanks Una! Tired of us whoring up your whoring? :D

tacotoy
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
apparently lol..... that or she wants to have her own personal thread to refer to when her photochop doesn't work

bradleyem
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Actually, I think that would be the other way around......I think that WE'LL be asking HER for advice when we can't get photochop to work.

RedRunnertc
02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
You know it's pretty damn sad when THIS GUY
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d920b3127cce8ac6c490649c00000025110CaMmTdoxYsZ

isn't the geeky one!

(Somebody better give Superposer CPR cuz he probably fainted)

bradleyem
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d920b3127cce8ac6c490649c00000020110CaMmTdoxYsZ

isn't the geeky one!

Oh, I think that you're probably just as geeky, just a different kind of geekyness......lol

NEV2DEP
02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d920b3127cce8ac6c490649c00000025110CaMmTdoxYsZ

isn't the geeky one!

good thing you got that hood on :jack:

bradleyem
02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Here are some old pics of my office/workshop from when you could actually see the floor. Now I'm sorting through all of my junk to make room for my rack and just get rid of a bunch of stuff....anyone need a i386 or i486 computer...LOL I might even have some Amiga or Commodore 64 stuff around here........

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/EricsOffice3.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/EricsOffice2.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/EricsOffice1.jpg

HoT_DoGgIN
02-26-2007, 09:49 PM
....anyone need a i386 or i486 computer...LOL I might even have some Amiga or Commodore 64 stuff around here........

Hey Joe!

Just curious, but do you have the specs on those computers? I'm not entirely sure how to translate what you listed into something as far as processing speed etc, but the University of Dayton SAE mini baja team/formula SAE team is looking for a couple computers that could run autocad 2k7, maybe autodesk inventor 11, and mainly megasquirt, our engine ECU management software for our garage/workshop.

Maybe we could work out a deal? :D I'll take em' off your hands and clean up your space... and you donate to the cause? If I were old enough I'd trade you a round on the house for em'... but hell I figured I'd ask...??

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Hey Joe!

Just curious, but do you have the specs on those computers? I'm not entirely sure how to translate what you listed into something as far as processing speed etc, but the University of Dayton SAE mini baja team/formula SAE team is looking for a couple computers that could run autocad 2k7, maybe autodesk inventor 11, and mainly megasquirt, our engine ECU management software for our garage/workshop.

Maybe we could work out a deal? :D I'll take em' off your hands and clean up your space... and you donate to the cause? If I were old enough I'd trade you a round on the house for em'... but hell I figured I'd ask...??

You won't want a 386 or 486 then. Those are pre pI's 486 being just a bit faster. Also even a bit faster if you have the math co possessors in them. I think the clock speed was like 47mhz something like that. Windows 3.1 was built for those systems. Dang I am old I have had to work on all those systems. We had a c64 for the cg at my high school and I built 286 386 and 486 computers from a bunch of thrown away junk. It is all about number munchers, and Oregon trail :lmao:

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM
thanks,
We need an Audiophile thread too :woot:

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM

isn't the geeky one!

oh ya! Sexy Troy!

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 08:10 AM
It is all about number munchers, and Oregon trail :lmao:
:rofl:
those were great games!

I built a 486, but you predate my building experience :rofl:
funny... the 1st computer I built was a 1.0ghz tbird... I worked backwords I guess... :rofl:

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
those were great games!

I built a 486, but you predate my building experience :rofl:
funny... the 1st computer I built was a 1.0ghz tbird... I worked backwords I guess... :rofl:

The bad part is that the standard power connection used on ATX cases to day is from a old HP design that every one said sucked. The use to be you you p8 and p9 to power the boards in the case. HP or maybe it was Compaq simplified this with a single connections but you could only use it on there boards. Till some one caught on and said why not just use a single connection.

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, at the risk of seriously dating myself.....

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 with a whopping 2K of memory.
One of my teachers bought it because it was the coolest new toy and having a personal computer was the wave of the future, but then she couldn't figure out how to use it so she sold it to me. Then I got a TRS-80 Color Computer that was pretty cool. It had a voice module and a sound module that would make a graphics show to music. I played with some Commodore Vic 20s and 64s, but then the school got some Apple II computers, and I learned machine code and BASIC and started making my own games. When I went to college I got a Commodore PC with an i386 running DOS. I learned DOS and some UNIX, and then the Devil (Bill Gates) invented Windows. Starting with Windows 3.11 and my next PC after the Commodore i386, I started building my own computers and installing/configuring my own software. I "illeagally" connected into the Token Ring network at the company that I worked at (because my boss didn't think that I needed a computer or a network connection, so I just figured out how it worked and connected in myself), and I taught myself networking and how to hack into the IT departments servers where they kept the installation files for the software (windows, office, etc.) and installed whatever software that I needed. :-)

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
my first computer (not built by me) was a commadore 64 back in 1985 I think...
the oldest computer I ever used was an 8086 at YSU... hehe... that was not a fun lab :rofl:

HoT_DoGgIN
02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Hah - you guys and your P1's... The first and only system I have built at this point (apart from the upgrades) was an Athalon XP 1.6ghz with 768mb of ram... that has since been pushed up to a 3.4ghz system runnin' 1gb of the new ddr2 ram (pc 5500 i think..)

Any of you guys have suggestions for where I could look to get a couple computers donated? We're really havin' trouble around here, and it's more because of the requirements that we need... both autocad and inventor are not resource friendly programs that would like to have a gig of ram and a sweet processor to push em'...

Anyone? Anyone?

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Hah - you guys and your P1's... The first and only system I have built at this point (apart from the upgrades) was an Athalon XP 1.6ghz with 768mb of ram... that has since been pushed up to a 3.4ghz system runnin' 1gb of the new ddr2 ram (pc 5500 i think..)

Any of you guys have suggestions for where I could look to get a couple computers donated? We're really havin' trouble around here, and it's more because of the requirements that we need... both autocad and inventor are not resource friendly programs that would like to have a gig of ram and a sweet processor to push em'...

Anyone? Anyone?

Well, nothing that I have that I'm currently not using would be suitable, but once I get these servers and start phasing out some of my older systems then I'd be glad to donate some of the older ones...it would keep me from whording them in my closet forever. I have a couple of PIII and Celeron systems that are right around 1GHZ and have between 512MB and 1GB memory. I run Autocad 2004 currently and I do video editing and database stuff and these computers work just fine. The key is to not put a bunch of garbage software on your system and to keep it well maintained. Defrag the hard drives, good antivirus and antispyware software, etc.

I'll also ask around at some of the places that I'm getting the servers from that liquidate corporate computer systems and see if they would have anything to donate. It would probably be best to ask about that AFTER I buy 3 or 4 servers and some related stuff from them :D

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Actually, I think that would be the other way around......I think that WE'LL be asking HER for advice when we can't get photochop to work.

See, being the geeks we are, we just hitup google :)

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Google has saved me a few times. :D

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Google helps sometimes, but the bad thing about photochop is that there are soooo many options and features, not to mention all of the plugins that you can get.

Froggygirl
02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I can't believe I actually read what you guys have posted. I hope I'm not turning geek. :cool:

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Anyone? Anyone?
which xp do you have, if it is a palomino core, you should be fine running autocad 2004... I do not know the requirements of 2007 but shouldn't be too much more... (perhaps I am incorrect)
1gb ram can be found for not too much... perhaps upgrade with a couple sticks...
I love corsair ram, but there are many good brands... a buddy runs geil (or something like that)...

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I can't believe I actually read what you guys have posted. I hope I'm not turning geek. :cool:

You do live with me. Also as you can see I am not that bad with computers laying around as some. :D

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
what mb do youhave? perhaps upgrade to a barton for <$100 may help if your mb can handel it ... (perhaps a new bios flash)

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Well, here is the first round of stuff that I decided to toss, minus a monitor, computer and printer that one of the vultures grabbed before I could even finish bringing stuff out :D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0515.jpg

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
which xp do you have, if it is a palomino core, you should be fine running autocad 2004... I do not know the requirements of 2007 but shouldn't be too much more... (perhaps I am incorrect)
1gb ram can be found for not too much... perhaps upgrade with a couple sticks...
I love corsair ram, but there are many good brands... a buddy runs geil (or something like that)...

I know its not AutoCAD 2007, but i have ran Acad 2005 under Windows XP with a 233mhz PI laptop with 64mb of EDO RAM. Needless to say, i had to build a pretty streamined image to accomplish this. It ran well, once it loaded. It would take a bit of time to load. I was at school doing this, and it was easier to VNC into my desktop and run some of the apps there.

For those of you with older hardware - you may want to look into some linux distributions. DSL Knoppix (damn small linux) is <50MB for the entire OS, and runs very smooth on P1 machines. It runs off a live CD, but is installable. Hit that google search for more info on it. I also use Zenwalk on older machines, its a step up - uses the xfce desktop for X Windows (DSL uses Fluxbox).

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
I have a 3x3 box of random crap that i just put out in my garage - most of it is stuff that clients have given me over the years. In there includes never used desktop speakers, a PC sub, CD-Roms/old RW drives/SCSI drives, random cables...Anyone in the area that wants to dig through it is welcome...

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, here is the first round of stuff that I decided to toss, minus a monitor, computer and printer that one of the vultures grabbed before I could even finish bringing stuff out :D

:rofl: at the compaq

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 04:05 PM
:rofl: at the compaq

Yeah, someone gave me that when I built a new system for them. As far as i know it still worked pretty good, but it ran windows 95.

All of that stuff was gone withing an hour of putting it outside :D

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I actually used part of a compaq and my old p2 to build a computer for my parents... it worked great till the hd died (2 years later)

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I never cared for Compaq stuff, but since HP took over their stuff has gotten much better. The enterprise class servers and the buisness workstations are pretty good, and not nearly as proprietary as they used to be. The biggest problem with the consumer stuff is all of the crap software that they put on them. They always load those things down with useless utilities and trial software, and then people wonder why their new system is so slow and they keep getting annoying popups to purchase the full version of this or that software. The computer manufacturers are just as bad as the adware people. Now a days that's the biggest advantage to building your own system. You can't really build one cheaper anymore, but you can control what software you put on it and build it to your liking.

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I was surprised that the new notebooks we go didn't have much extra software loaded on them. I think the only thing I didn't like was google desktop, I just don't have a need for it.

ugly's ok
02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
The wife just told me that im a nerd becouse im a posting like a madd man.

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Yeah, someone gave me that when I built a new system for them. As far as i know it still worked pretty good, but it ran windows 95.

All of that stuff was gone withing an hour of putting it outside :D

It pisses me off some times seeing what people throw out. All that stuff you trashed looked like a good place for it. On the other hand I go to customers houses and they have a 2 year old computer that is loaded with crap slowing it down. Do they get the computer fixed up nope just throw it in the trash in buy a new one. I can't take them because of conflict of interests.

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I was surprised that the new notebooks we go didn't have much extra software loaded on them. I think the only thing I didn't like was google desktop, I just don't have a need for it.

Yeah, and just a note on google desktop, if you use microsoft outlook for your e-mail then you should uninstall google desktop from any client computer that connects to the exchange server. Google desktop, whos purpose is to search and sort files, documents, etc will try to sort and catalog EVERYTHING in exchange which can result in HUGE slow downs of the exchange server and possible security issues, because Google desktop keeps a nice catalog of everything :mad:

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
It pisses me off some times seeing what people throw out. All that stuff you trashed looked like a good place for it. On the other hand I go to customers houses and they have a 2 year old computer that is loaded with crap slowing it down. Do they get the computer fixed up nope just throw it in the trash in buy a new one. I can't take them because of conflict of interests.

Yeah, I see the same thing every day. I mainly deal with hospitals, airports and government agencies, and it's rediculous what they just store on a dock or warehouse somewhere. They can't give the stuff away because of confidenciality issues, so it sets there until its old and rusty, and someone finally gets so sick of moving it around that they just throw it in the dumpster. But by then no one wants it because its many years old and neglected.

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
LOL at the old school 50 pin SCSI external tape drive.

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I believe it... linky off hand or am i going to have to use google ;)

Yeah, and just a note on google desktop, if you use microsoft outlook for your e-mail then you should uninstall google desktop from any client computer that connects to the exchange server. Google desktop, whos purpose is to search and sort files, documents, etc will try to sort and catalog EVERYTHING in exchange which can result in HUGE slow downs of the exchange server and possible security issues, because Google desktop keeps a nice catalog of everything :mad:

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I can't stand Microsoft outlook. I use thunder bird when ever I can. Even on customers computers I rather configure outlook express over outlook.

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
My first attempt at posting through photobucket... but here it is...

My lab:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0696.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0815.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0817.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0816.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0697.jpg

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, the ttora forum posting software/script doesn't handle large posts very well...

Anyways, whats not pictured is my wifes PC and stuff... but thats just another desk with lots of pink around it off to the right. The pictures were taken at two different times - the second time i had cleaned the place up a bit and re-routed cables to make it look neater.

bradleyem
02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
I believe it... linky off hand or am i going to have to use google ;)

Well, I had a link to a MS Knowledge Base article that our mail admin sent out, but I deleted the e-mail because I've never cared for google desktop anyway. I even shut off file and folder indexing in windows.

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Cool, at least its a formal notice... Ill search the MS KB articles...

Well, I had a link to a MS Knowledge Base article that our mail admin sent out, but I deleted the e-mail because I've never cared for google desktop anyway. I even shut off file and folder indexing in windows.

ohio03trdtaco
02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, the ttora forum posting software/script doesn't handle large posts very well...

Anyways, whats not pictured is my wifes PC and stuff... but thats just another desk with lots of pink around it off to the right. The pictures were taken at two different times - the second time i had cleaned the place up a bit and re-routed cables to make it look neater.

I normally use the photo bucket html coding that builds a small image and makes it a link to the larger one. I helps the folks with dial up modems as well.

Jeebs01
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Whats a dial up modem? :P

Cool, i will test that out when i get a chance...

I normally use the photo bucket html coding that builds a small image and makes it a link to the larger one. I helps the folks with dial up modems as well.

RedRunnertc
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
My first computer was a Compaq "portable" - the one that was like the size of a sewing machine with a 9" CRT. It was hotrodded with a V20 chip to a whopping 8MHz IIRC.

I had one of the smaller "lunchbox" Compaqs in college with the orange "plasma" screen. I think it was a 286 and it ran AutoCAD under Windows 3.11.

Then I had a Pentium 90 ruggedized portable because I needed something to run the sound analyzer for the truck. It was pretty cool.

I wanted a true laptop (and didn't need to run the PCRTAjr since I wrecked the truck), so I bought a ThinkPAD with a 333Mhz Celeron and a DVD drive. I always hated that computer - bought it 'cuz it was cheap, and it was never powerful enough to run anything.

SOOOO, I wanted something with power and finally gave in on my "if MS would wriite code worth a crap, we wouldn't need anything more than a 486" way of thinking and bought a Sony 2.88GHz HT, 800MHz FSB with 1GB RAM for when I wanted to play games and whatnot, and still used the laptop for surfing.

Of course, the laptop was too slow to run the wireless, so I got a 1.7GHz Celeron Gateway laptop. I was a bit concerned with it being another Celeron, but it seems to work pretty well actually.

SuperPoser
02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
cool lab!

HoT_DoGgIN
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Joe--

That would rock if you could manage to scrounge something up... We're having the same thing happen here at UD when old computers can't be given away due to confidentiality things, and it's kinda ridiculous - Hell I'll buy a new hard drive just give me the rest! :D...

The killer for what we need will be inventor... being that is is a 3d program that will composite anything you put into it... *shrugs* Let me know! I'd owe you big!

ohio03trdtaco
02-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Work is pissing me off. We have a gut that we out source are router maintenance to and he decided to do some updates around 7:30 tonight. Not bad but one they never told me and I am the guy on call. Now the bad something is messed up in the router now and I am getting time out to the DNS server and any server on the local side of the router. This is causing web pages to fail and e-mail to be held up and giving folks time out errors. So my phone is ringing and I am giving telling we know of the problem and it will be fixed asap. What sucks is this was totally avoidable and what the FUCK would you do it at prime time. Sorry for the cruse word but couldn't think of a better way to put it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :explode: :explode: :explode:

tacotoy
02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Work is pissing me off. We have a gut that we out source are router maintenance to and he decided to do some updates around 7:30 tonight. Not bad but one they never told me and I am the guy on call. Now the bad something is messed up in the router now and I am getting time out to the DNS server and any server on the local side of the router. This is causing web pages to fail and e-mail to be held up and giving folks time out errors. So my phone is ringing and I am giving telling we know of the problem and it will be fixed asap. What sucks is this was totally avoidable and what the FUCK would you do it at prime time. Sorry for the cruse word but couldn't think of a better way to put it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :explode: :explode: :explode:

how long does it take your local side dns to populate? or is it just more fawked up than the aftermath of an update?

ohio03trdtaco
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
It is all in the main router, and now it is worse. I am sorry but don't know a lot of the tech when it come to routing and dns just know it fucked. The router is letting things go threw it but trying to get over to 208.2 it goes then times out after a bit and starts up again. 208.2 is our dns,mail,ftp,and web server. I can't get to a modem control server either witch is really bad as well because if a modem re boots right not it may have a hard time getting it's control file. Now things are even worse and the router is timing out and out side pings are timing out. It took me like 15 minuets to get the post up.

99TanTaco
02-28-2007, 09:20 PM
How does a power inverter convert 12vdc to 110v ac?

SuperPoser
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
a couple different ways...

a simple way to build one, although could get bulky...
make a transistor occilator for the 12Vdc, and have the output of the occilator goto a step up transformer...

the problem with this... the occilator circuit has to be very heavy duty if you want any current at 120vac...

other options would be a dc to dc convertor, then use igbt's to modulate an ac signal (rather expensive control for the igbt's)...

I would have to take a look at one to see how it is designed...

troy may have some input as well ;o)

Jeebs01
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Reminds me of college classes... LOL - i have MultiSIM - which simulates circuits ifn's you care...

99TanTaco
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
damm didn't ask a difficult enough question :D

SuperPoser
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
damm didn't ask a difficult enough question :D
are you just messin with me?!

see if I invite you to the next bsg party :rofl:

99TanTaco
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
yep, just playin with you :D

RedRunnertc
02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
:rofl: @ Terry pickin' on Mike :lmao:

Shakerhood
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Whats a dial up modem? :P

Cool, i will test that out when i get a chance...

Dial Up Sucks and thats what I am stuck with!

ohio03trdtaco
02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Ok so network is back up and running now I have another great story for the books. My admin e-mails me back and tells me that he doesn't have Dennis's/router guys phone number at home. He ask if I am in the office and would call him. This was at 10:30 and I had made aware of the situations at 7:40. So I go into the office and call Dennis problem is was a subnet issue on the cisco 3640 witch was set for class c and the 3750 witch was on a 248 subnet. So five minutes later after I finally get Dennis on the phone problem fixed. Oh left out the fact I called my admin on the phone and he said he had been cutting wood and drinking beer all evening so he couldn't drive in. Yeah I am pissed. Oh well at least I am now on Dennis's mailing list and will be notified by him if he is making changes to the routers again. First time I have talked to the guy seemed really nice and just couldn't see the problem from his end. I am still not happy with stuff though but mostly my Adim. WTF you don't have the guy you contracted with phone number at home and you know he is going to be in the router. Well I get a few more hours of over time added on my pay check now.

Well tomorrow i get to set up a dell power edge 840 for a billing server replacement. This will be fun because it is my project and I have never messed with windows server os. I am a cable guy first computer wantabee geek second.

99TanTaco
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
:rofl: @ Terry pickin' on Mike :lmao:
thats what he gets for calling me a noob in the PW thread :D

Jeebs01
03-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok so network is back up and running now I have another great story for the books. My admin e-mails me back and tells me that he doesn't have Dennis's/router guys phone number at home. He ask if I am in the office and would call him. This was at 10:30 and I had made aware of the situations at 7:40. So I go into the office and call Dennis problem is was a subnet issue on the cisco 3640 witch was set for class c and the 3750 witch was on a 248 subnet. So five minutes later after I finally get Dennis on the phone problem fixed. Oh left out the fact I called my admin on the phone and he said he had been cutting wood and drinking beer all evening so he couldn't drive in. Yeah I am pissed. Oh well at least I am now on Dennis's mailing list and will be notified by him if he is making changes to the routers again. First time I have talked to the guy seemed really nice and just couldn't see the problem from his end. I am still not happy with stuff though but mostly my Adim. WTF you don't have the guy you contracted with phone number at home and you know he is going to be in the router. Well I get a few more hours of over time added on my pay check now.

Well tomorrow i get to set up a dell power edge 840 for a billing server replacement. This will be fun because it is my project and I have never messed with windows server os. I am a cable guy first computer wantabee geek second.

Windows Server is fun! So are Cisco switches though ;) let us know how it goes!

ohio03trdtaco
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Windows Server is fun! So are Cisco switches though ;) let us know how it goes!

Well got it up and running but can't do anything else at the moment. Waiting for the company that build the billing software to get back to me on the next step.

tacotoy
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM

very carefully..... its all voodoo magic

ohio03trdtaco
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok this is driveling me nuts. Windows media player 11 will be fine on my system for a while then it will start shutting my computer down when I open it. Media play 10 no problems. I just had to back step again for the 3 time. It is a device conflict some how causing a fatal error and just can't seem to get around it.

tacotoy
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
your main problem is that your using windows media player... lol

HoT_DoGgIN
03-01-2007, 09:15 PM
your main problem is that your using windows media player... lol

Hah - more truth than you realize...

Unfortunately, I use iTunes when it comes to music, but i'm anxiously awaiting a release from mozilla (makers of firefox and thunderbird) that has the same exact user format as itunes to start, is customizeable like all other mozilla things, and only runs on like... 30% of the resources... It also will allow you to upload and maintain an mp3 player(s) of your choice...

So far all they've released is a beta version to those with connections to the music industry, and since i'm connected to our school radio station, I got a preview :D Something to look foreward to! I can't stand using the beta for now though, it's too buggy...

tacotoy
03-01-2007, 10:19 PM
lol oh no i do realize..... i hate microsoft..... if the world could would just run on unix life would be great

Jeebs01
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Winamp rocks. Use anapod explorer for Ipod. It integrates your Ipod into File explorer like its a drive... Very practical and efficient. No bulky slow interface.

RedRunnertc
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
are we going to have to merge this thread with the audiophile thread?

ohio03trdtaco
03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I am lazy and haven't hunted up another media player to replace windows. I used winamp back in the day and loved it but haven't used it in several years.

tacotoy
03-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Winamp rocks. Use anapod explorer for Ipod. It integrates your Ipod into File explorer like its a drive... Very practical and efficient. No bulky slow interface.

yep.... easy to use and plenty of free toys out there for it.

SuperPoser
03-03-2007, 03:28 AM
are we going to have to merge this thread with the audiophile thread?
:confused:

Jeebs01
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
So doing this side job today, i had a users pc that had Norton/Systematic Go Back software. You know, the software that dell gave out all the time on thier PIII Dimension PC's.... Well, the hard drive would sit there and run and run. I trouble shoot initially like there is spyware/adware/virus. it Bogged the machine down completly. Took 5 min to boot up. <40 processes so Windows XP appears OK. So i find no abnormal/spyware/virus on the machine. So im thinking like everyone else is by now... yea norton sucks blow it away. I start taking off the Go Back only, as they have paid for like 2 years of norton. It uninstalled - took 30 seconds. Required restart, so i did. After the restart, it continued to uninstall - this is prior to windows loading - and it took about 1.5 hours to uninstall. After some research on my BlackBerry, this turns out to be normal. It was removing all the restore points since the machine has been loaded initially...

What a PITA. The project manager of that piece of software should be like Kevin Federline - Flipping burgers.

Ok, just wanted to grip a bit about that stupidity.

I hate dealing with poorly created/managed software... any one else have bad experiences? This isn't my worst, just htough i would share since it was a headache today.

tacotoy
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
norton is a pos.... you could spend money on like avast or avg ( or use avast for free) and use a decent spyware program.... that regularly along with a good backup of documents is more than anyone needs. and i bet its a hella lot cheaper than paying norton....

RedRunnertc
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I've been pretty happy with AVG free, Ad-aware, and Spybot, and they don't cost me a dime.

ohio03trdtaco
03-03-2007, 09:50 PM
We get calls all the time of Norton and Mcafee going nuts. Both programs have a glitch in there bundled software that can cause total net melt down. After uninstalling the programs all will be well again. I know of two times this has happen with fresh installs.

Jeebs01
03-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I too hate Norton - I always recommend to my clients AVG Free - becuase its free. Then i setup windows firewall, give them adaware, and setup MS patches to auto download. Minimal repeat calls for the same spyware crap. (unless thier kids re-install standard kazaa, but thats a different monster)

ohio03trdtaco
03-04-2007, 10:56 AM
I got a call from a lady that was frantic one day. She was getting all of these adult pop ups and was blaming our internet for it. The lady was piss and we decided to be nice and to show her it wasn't us that we would go over and take a look. It was worse than even us thought. Not only were there the adult pop ups but a ton of driver errors on start up. So we got the computer half way back together and working ok. Then the the other guy I had over there with me was making sure explorer still worked and clicked on favorites to go too another site. I advised against the move but he did any way. Well the favorites list popped down and all we could do was look at each other and :eek: . So we didn't say a word about the list to the lady. Just told her that she may want to review the sites that get visited on the computer and how some sites have bad stuff in them. Sure enough a couple of days later the same call came in, and this time we didn't go back over.

SuperPoser
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
thats a good one

ohio03trdtaco
03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I make it a point to try not too look at customers computers. It is crazy some on the things you see. One of the worst was a gay couples computer. That one had a nude guy for a desk top and two you didn't want the screen saver to come on trust me there.

SuperPoser
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I make it a point to try not too look at customers computers. It is crazy some on the things you see. One of the worst was a gay couples computer. That one had a nude guy for a desk top and two you didn't want the screen saver to come on trust me there.
:eek:

SuperPoser
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM
in my undergrad days in the dorms... we used to mess with eachother's backgrounds, homepages, and screensavers...

my buddy Will won the competations when he found a fat dude with a bowling pin up his rear...

we all agreed to stop after that one... :rofl:

bradleyem
03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
SCORE!!!!

Today I bought 2 servers.

They are HP DL360's (1U)

They're Gen 1 servers, but for the price I didn't care. They were $120 each.

The specs are:

PIII 1.0GHZ (Soon to be Dual PIII 1.0GHZ)
640MB RAM (Soon to be at least 2GB RAM)
2 - 18.2GB Hot Swap Ultra SCSI Hard Drives (Soon to be at least 2-36GB HDs)

I'll also probably buy a third matching server if I can get it before someone else buys it so that I'll have 3 identicle servers

That should be fine for a Domain Controller, a Web Server, and a test server for software for work.

I also won an EBay auction for a Cisco Catalyst WS-2924-EN 24 Port 10/100 switch for $61.00

ohio03trdtaco
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
SCORE!!!!

They are HP DL360's (1U)

The specs are:

I'll also probably buy a third matching server if I can get it before someone else buys it so that I'll have 3 identicle servers

That should be fine for a Domain Controller, a Web Server, and a test server for software for work.

I also won an EBay auction for a Cisco Catalyst WS-2924-EN 24 Port 10/100 switch for $61.00

It is sometimes hard to think of where to spend the money. Computers or Taco :confused: I am saving up to get lift on the taco so no computer stuff for me. :(

bradleyem
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
It is sometimes hard to think of where to spend the money. Computers or Taco :confused: I am saving up to get lift on the taco so no computer stuff for me. :(

Yeah, it is hard, especially with a project and a D/D that needs some TLC too. Lately I've been in an Ohio Lazy mood though when it comes to working on my junk (or is it just a sick of working on everyone elses junk, so I don't want to even look at mine)? Either way, I'll start working on the project when I get a line on some axles (back to thinking full width D-60s again). I'll start working on the D/D when a.) I can't get to work or b.) something breaks and I get stuck.................LOL

bradleyem
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it is hard, especially with a project and a D/D that needs some TLC too. Lately I've been in an Ohio Lazy mood though when it comes to working on my junk (or is it just a sick of working on everyone elses junk, so I don't want to even look at mine)? Either way, I'll start working on the project when I get a line on some axles (back to thinking full width D-60s again). I'll start working on the D/D when a.) I can't get to work or b.) something breaks and I get stuck.................LOL

Also, it seems like the increments are alot more managable with buying computer stuff...especially off from e-bay or these resellers that I'm getting what I think are pretty good deals. That stuff is in increments of $100 or $200, and it seems like anything major that I want to do to the Taco is in increments of thousands :(

So, have you figured out what kind of lift that you want to get yet?

ohio03trdtaco
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Also, it seems like the increments are alot more managable with buying computer stuff...especially off from e-bay or these resellers that I'm getting what I think are pretty good deals. That stuff is in increments of $100 or $200, and it seems like anything major that I want to do to the Taco is in increments of thousands :(

So, have you figured out what kind of lift that you want to get yet?

Oh trick me into mucking of the geek thread. Yeah I am pretty sure I am going with SAW'S up front and OME in the rear.

bradleyem
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh trick me into mucking of the geek thread. Yeah I am pretty sure I am going with SAW'S up front and OME in the rear.

Yeah, I was just thinking that.... :D

Sounds like a good idea....OMEs seem to be really good, especially for the price. You're looking at doing full leaf paks, right?

bradleyem
03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Man, I forgot how fun it is installing 2000 Server from scratch....install updates, reboot, install updates, reboot, install updates, reboot, etc., etc., etc.......... :xzzz:

ohio03trdtaco
03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking that.... :D

Sounds like a good idea....OMEs seem to be really good, especially for the price. You're looking at doing full leaf paks, right?

Yep full leaf pack replacement, I hope it helps get rid of some axle wrap.

RedRunnertc
03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
HEY! No Tech talk in Off Topic!

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 08:22 AM
If there are any extras - i will take 3 at that price also :)

SCORE!!!!

They are HP DL360's (1U)

The specs are:

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Those are good prices - 4 hours left and it doesn't have the dual 18gb scsi drives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-DL360-1U-Server-Dual-PIII-800-MHz-1GB-RAM-18GB_W0QQitemZ170086078587QQihZ007QQcategoryZ56101 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If there are others available, i am interested.

ohio03trdtaco
03-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Would you all stop tempting me with buying computers.

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry i have been wanting to purchase some newer server computers as my old desktop are all crashing.

SuperPoser
03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I too shall require a new gaming rig soon...
on bootup I get a message "the processor is inoproatable or has been changed, hit F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup"...
this started Sunday Morning after 2 days of LAN'ing & WAN'ing...
it still works if I hit F1, but not sure how much longer :rofl:

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
What do you play? I like playing CounterStrike... but i do a few others, just not too pashionate about them.

SuperPoser
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I too play CounterStrike and Source, but haven't in a wile...

this LAN was: WC3FT, Rise of Nations, Republic Comando...

ohio03trdtaco
03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I actually don't game with computers. I think I just like messing them up and seeing how to fix it. My current computer is a mixed up bunch of parts I got cheep but hey it works. Heck I got so many different parts it I can't even remember any more.

bradleyem
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Those are good prices - 4 hours left and it doesn't have the dual 18gb scsi drives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-DL360-1U-Server-Dual-PIII-800-MHz-1GB-RAM-18GB_W0QQitemZ170086078587QQihZ007QQcategoryZ56101 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If there are others available, i am interested.

That was a good price..it ended up going for $96. It was cheaper than the ones that I got and it had dual 800MHZ processors and 1GB RAM. It only had one 18GB hard drive, but those are cheap, or you can get one or two 36 GB drives.

I'll ask the guy where I got mine from what he has left and how much they are.

bradleyem
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
That was a good price..it ended up going for $96. It was cheaper than the ones that I got and it had dual 800MHZ processors and 1GB RAM. It only had one 18GB hard drive, but those are cheap, or you can get one or two 36 GB drives.

I'll ask the guy where I got mine from what he has left and how much they are.

Keep in mind that these are rack mount units, so they are a little gawdy for a desk....unless you're a geek like me and don't care that they take up a whole desk...LOL I'll be putting mine in my rack as soon as I get power and network cable ran to where my rack is, and I get some rails for them. They didn't come with rails, but that should be easy to take care of.

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
NP about them being rack mounts - i need some rack mount reliable units anyways (below) ;) Yea, they ended at 96+50 shipping - making yours cheaper. I would rather have dual drives than dual processors. Plus it would give me a cool reason for a drive to columbus. If they are the same specs/price or at least still a good price, please let me know - as you can tell im kinda excited about the rack mount based on my talks about them :)

My first attempt at posting through photobucket... but here it is...

My lab:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0696.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0815.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0817.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0816.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/Jeebs01/HPIM0697.jpg

bradleyem
03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
NP about them being rack mounts - i need some rack mount reliable units anyways (below) ;) Yea, they ended at 96+50 shipping - making yours cheaper. I would rather have dual drives than dual processors. Plus it would give me a cool reason for a drive to columbus. If they are the same specs/price or at least still a good price, please let me know - as you can tell im kinda excited about the rack mount based on my talks about them :)

Thats right, I forgot that you have that full size rack....LOL

I'll call the guy tomorrow and ask him what he has. They seem to have a really fast turnover on stuff there and they are always getting in new equipment.

Jeebs01
03-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Cool, appreciate it. If you want to PM his info, that way you don't have to be bothered by me with it. I can wait a bit if you want to take advantage of his offers, as you "found" the deals. I wouldn't want to take stuff away or make it seem like those things are hot items and he jacks the price up 20$.

HoT_DoGgIN
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey joe -
Any word of hunch on whether you might be able to help us out with those computers? We're tryin' to organize a game plan on our side and we're hoping to eliminate any double efforts that may happen... eh? :D

Solemap
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I am into Counter-Strike too. I am actually part of a CS clan called The Dark Clan. We run 6 different servers. We have (3) 1.6 servers and (3) source servers. We also hold a LAN event every year. Last year we had about 32 people show up. It goes from Thursday through Sunday. People basically just sleep on floor or passout in their chairs. We went through 3 kegs, 6 cases of beer, 50 2-liters of pop, 15lbs of pulled pork, 15-20 lbs of spaghetti/mac&cheese, 4 sheet pizzas, 12lbs of burgers, 6lbs of hotdogs, 12lbs of chicken, 25lbs of Taco Meat and over 15 bags of Chips and snacks. It was pretty much impossible to leave the LAN hungry. We also played disc golf and cornhole. Our next one is coming up again. It will be late July or early August. I'll post up more once we get the date/time figured out.

Jeebs01
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Sounds insane. I havn't been to a LAN in a long time...

ohio03trdtaco
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey joe -
Any word of hunch on whether you might be able to help us out with those computers? We're tryin' to organize a game plan on our side and we're hoping to eliminate any double efforts that may happen... eh? :D

I think you mean Eric B, or I am just confused.

Joe=NEV2DEP
Eric B,= bradleyem

Jeebs01
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Drinking St. Pauly Girl and playing around with some Cisco 2501 :)

Alcohol and Electricity - a winning combination! :cool:

bradleyem
03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I got my web/ftp server going today, and now I'm playing with FrontPage :)

I've got alot to learn about building webpages.....lol

Jeebs01
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Yea, i did a few pages in college - nothing special... all for organizations i was in. I started with Front Page and quickly moved to Dreamweaver...

I got my web/ftp server going today, and now I'm playing with FrontPage :)

I've got alot to learn about building webpages.....lol

Jeebs01
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyones else do Cisco stuff in here???

I have a gateway of last resort issue... :(

HoT_DoGgIN
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I think you mean Eric B, or I am just confused.

Joe=NEV2DEP
Eric B,= bradleyem

:D My apologies... I do mean Eric B... I'm struggling to remember peoples names/faces that match up with the forum aliases... guess that's what happens when you've met the group once...

I remember now though! Eric = purple truck, and Joe was the one who found the hole that was juuuust too deep... heh

bradleyem
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Anyones else do Cisco stuff in here???

I have a gateway of last resort issue... :(

I've done some simple Cisco stuff, mainly switches.

I've never gotten into routers or gateways by Cisco though. I might try to find some to play with if I can get them for the right price.

bradleyem
03-08-2007, 06:33 PM
:D My apologies... I do mean Eric B... I'm struggling to remember peoples names/faces that match up with the forum aliases... guess that's what happens when you've met the group once...

I remember now though! Eric = purple truck, and Joe was the one who found the hole that was juuuust too deep... heh

It's cool...I know what you mean about remembering everyone's names...I suck at remembering names anyway, much less tryin' to meet a bunch of people at the same time and remembering everyones name.

I'll ask about some computers the next time I talk to the guy that I got the servers from. I'm not ready to retire the computer that I'm using for a file server yet because I need to find a rack mount server that I can put 2 drives of at least 300GB capacity in. The ones that I just bought are SCSI, and a 300 GB SCSI drive runs around $350 for just one. I'm hoping to get an HP DL360 Gen 4 or Gen 5 with SATA.

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 01:56 PM

I've never gotten into routers or gateways by Cisco though. I might try to find some to play with if I can get them for the right price.

I got it figured out - i needed to point all my pc's to my cisco 2501 router instead of the gateway. I then pointed the 2501 to the gateway. i used DHCP to do this. To get to my subnets on my other 2501 routers, i had to manually add some routes to my windows 2k3 routing table. :)

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Ive been away for a bit recently - i have been working on my network. I got a few new servers (not rackmount :( ) but they were free so i took them. They actually arn't too bad. All PIII's with at least 384MB ram. This will allow me to get rid of all my PII's in my lab. Stay tuned for possible freebies - qty=7 of 350mhz PII which will run XP. Also got another 2u 2924 catalyst. I will post pictures soon - i plan to be running gigabit fiber trunk lines :)

One of the new computers is a dual processor 700MHZ with 18gb SCSI 10k hdd. Thats my new gateway. That also means i will have a new IP for FTP site - when i get everything mounted/situated i will post ip.

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
It's cool...I know what you mean about remembering everyone's names...I suck at remembering names anyway, much less tryin' to meet a bunch of people at the same time and remembering everyones name.

I'll ask about some computers the next time I talk to the guy that I got the servers from. I'm not ready to retire the computer that I'm using for a file server yet because I need to find a rack mount server that I can put 2 drives of at least 300GB capacity in. The ones that I just bought are SCSI, and a 300 GB SCSI drive runs around $350 for just one. I'm hoping to get an HP DL360 Gen 4 or Gen 5 with SATA.

That would be one helluva file server! I have to split my hard drives up amounts multiple servers because they are all old and have too small of powersupplies to really put 400 gigs in one server. I have a music/cd ISO drive, a user data (my docs, pictures, outlook profiles) drive, and a ghostcast drive all in seperate pc's. :(

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
BTW - althouh cisco 2500 series is from 1992, they are are still not to bad and are around 50$ on ebay.

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Bump for page 00000101

:D

01001000011000010010000000101101001000000111100101 10111101110101001000000110000101110010011001010010 00000111010001110010011101010110010101101100011110 01001000000110000100100000011001110110010101100101 01101011001000000110011001101111011100100010000001 10011001101001011001110111010101110010011010010110 11100110011100100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011101010111010000100001

RedRunnertc
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
So, I cornered my IT guy here at work and was like "My computer is REALLY slow, like 10 mins to log on slow, and noticeable time to open programs slow" and finally got him to check it out. I have a Dell GX280 running XP. WITH 256 MB RAM. He was like "I think I see what the problem is - you're ALWAYS paging." Doubled my memory - seems much better now. :D

Sorry- that's as computer geeky as I get.

SuperPoser
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Bump for page 00000101

:D

01001000011000010010000000101101001000000111100101 10111101110101001000000110000101110010011001010010 00000111010001110010011101010110010101101100011110 01001000000110000100100000011001110110010101100101 01101011001000000110011001101111011100100010000001 10011001101001011001110111010101110010011010010110 11100110011100100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011101010111010000100001
:woot:

SuperPoser
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
So, I cornered my IT guy here at work and was like "My computer is REALLY slow, like 10 mins to log on slow, and noticeable time to open programs slow" and finally got him to check it out. I have a Dell GX280 running XP. WITH 256 MB RAM. He was like "I think I see what the problem is - you're ALWAYS paging." Doubled my memory - seems much better now. :D

Sorry- that's as computer geeky as I get.
dang, you just started there and you got a computer with only 256meg ram?

RedRunnertc
03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, no kidding. And since one of the Excel files I have to work with is 10 MB ...

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a laptop with 1gb :) some of the CAD workstations where im at have 4gb Ram

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
it would help to have at least 512 - most people need that much - only if your a power user would you need more. In most systems, if you run a 3dmark test on it with increasing amounts of memory, there is a break even point around 512-768 or so. At this point, the motherboard and its various bus's/bridges becomes the bottle neck. If you look at technical documents of the PC's, you can see what the throughput is on the boards to make a lot of base desicions. Thats why alot of companies (if thier IT is actually good) run thourough tests and determine ROI on thier equipment. Based on my previous post, my company doesn't do that. (i would do alot of things differently with the machines/images, but im not going to rant here)

Jeebs01
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Bump for Windows Server 2k3 SP2 being released in the past two days - im d/ling it onto my servers... ill post up any issues... I think Bradleyem is the only other person running a server OS though...

bradleyem
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
woohoo...I can actually see and use my workbench. Now I just need to get power ran to where I'm putting my rack (and get rid of that hp tower that I'm using as a file server).

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0519.jpg

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Looking good - do you have a KVM setup between all of them? I love the multimeters and o-scopes on the shelf!

ohio03trdtaco
03-15-2007, 07:49 AM
We got one server here at work running win 2003 server. Let me know if there are any glitches. The server is new and only been producing for a week so I will hold off on updates.

SuperPoser
03-15-2007, 07:54 AM
have any of you guys built a MAC?

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Looking good - do you have a KVM setup between all of them? I love the multimeters and o-scopes on the shelf!

I don't have a KVM yet. I've been searching EBay for a rack mount 8 port KVM. I've found lots of KVMs for around $50, but they don't include the cables, and I'd end up spending another $150 on cables. Hopefully soon I'll either find one that has cables with it, or that has integrated cables for a decent price.

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 08:01 AM

The only Apple computers that I've ever messed with were the old Apple II / IIe's back in high school. They were kick ass computers for their time though. The graphics were awesome and they had some really good games available.

ohio03trdtaco
03-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Can you build a mac? :confused: Most I have messed with is re-installing os and getting mad at it. I have yet to figure out a way to fix them besides re doing the program / re installing the os.

They are easy to upgrade though. You throw out the old one and buy a new one. :D

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
My brother does work for his college - he does alot of mac crap. Mainly laptops. Its different from PC's because of all the screws. On some of the apple documentation online for thier tech site (i.e. MS TechNet?) - they say "pry the case. It may feel like it will break, but it won't" so says my brother. I believe him though - theres alot of odd things with them.

SuperPoser
03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
The only Apple computers that I've ever messed with were the old Apple II / IIe's back in high school. They were kick ass computers for their time though. The graphics were awesome and they had some really good games available.
were thoes the ones programmed in basic (or a basic type program?)

I got introuble in middle school for rewritting a program in a typing class so it would give me an A regardless what letter I typed...
:eek: :D

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I have a compaq 8 port - the white one - its common on ebay. I don't remember the number. Its a very nice KVM. All PS2, but it works well. I am going to be getting another at least 4 port version and see if they link together. im hoping that i can so i can hook 11pc's up to it.

Cables are the worst part though. If you can find them, ive seen short 3foot cables that are cheaper. in your bench setup, it appears thats all you may need.

I don't have a KVM yet. I've been searching EBay for a rack mount 8 port KVM. I've found lots of KVMs for around $50, but they don't include the cables, and I'd end up spending another $150 on cables. Hopefully soon I'll either find one that has cables with it, or that has integrated cables for a decent price.

SuperPoser
03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
noob here... (or old and just can't remember anything...)
what is a KVM?

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a compaq 8 port - the white one - its common on ebay. I don't remember the number. Its a very nice KVM. All PS2, but it works well. I am going to be getting another at least 4 port version and see if they link together. im hoping that i can so i can hook 11pc's up to it.

Cables are the worst part though. If you can find them, ive seen short 3foot cables that are cheaper. in your bench setup, it appears thats all you may need.

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of the 8 port Compaqs for cheap (without cables of course) All I need is a basic KVM with PS2. They will all be servers, so no audio or anything. Three foot cables will work fine because everything will be moving to my rack as soon as I get power ran to it. 8 ports should be plenty for that rack. I'd really like to find a rack mount keyboard with a flip up LCD screen, but those are still pretty pricey, and when I do find them on Ebay they are gone instantly.

ohio03trdtaco
03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
noob here... (or old and just can't remember anything...)
what is a KVM?

Keyboard video mouse switch. KVM allows you to use a signal keyboard monitor and mouse for multiple systems.

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
were thoes the ones programmed in basic (or a basic type program?)

I got introuble in middle school for rewritting a program in a typing class so it would give me an A regardless what letter I typed...
:eek: :D

Yeah, you could program in basic or apple machine code.

I made a program that would randomly rearrange the keys on the keyboard and put it on all the computers in the computer lab at school..that was lots of fun :)

I also put a magnet on the floppy drive of one of the computers that the teacher always used. He couldn't understand why all of his floppy discs were messed up.....LOL

SuperPoser
03-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah, you could program in basic or apple machine code.

I made a program that would randomly rearrange the keys on the keyboard and put it on all the computers in the computer lab at school..that was lots of fun :)

I also put a magnet on the floppy drive of one of the computers that the teacher always used. He couldn't understand why all of his floppy discs were messed up.....LOL
thats too funny!

did the teacher ever figure it out?

I was getting all A's in that typing class till the found me messing with the program one day :woops:

edit... the funny thing... the teacher didn't know what it was I was doing...
he comes up... "what is this? this isn't the typing test....."

ya, I kinda got an F for that quiz, but hay, 1 f, 10 a's, and a bunch of b's after wasn't so bad :rofl:

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Ive seen the pull out monitors/keyboards in person. Very nice setup. If you get the Compaq rackmounts, there is a mount for the compaq 4/8 port kvm behind the keyboard. They are nice indeed though if you don't have desk next to your rack.

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Lol - the joys of simple computer pranks! I like the one i posted in the national board practical jokes. Ive used it a few times. It can even stump some pretty smart people.
*edit the first one will stump some poeple
IT Pranks:

Authenticate to a PC as an administrator from your PC.

Open a command prompt and run:

shutdown -r -t 02 -m \\computername (file://computername/)

This will restart the pc automatically. You can get creative and write a looping batch file that will do this forever. until the target unplugs thier network cable, they will get just past the login prompt (when the network card is initialized) and the PC will shut down. This will stump alot of people. :)

Another comical/simpler one would be to get a funny animated character/sound and place it in the Start -> Programs -> Startup folder. Turn speakers all the way up and restart the machine. When they login, they will get the sound played. We did this with a naked animated character that ran around yelling "smack my ass!" or did a clip of "hey everyone, im looking at PORN!". There are also *.exe files that will change your mouse cursor (the arrow) to a middle finger for a split second. Again, if you have a slower computer, dump a few hundred shortcuts into the folder. Kinda funny.

WinVNC can also be fun to an unsuspecting user. In college, my now wife's roommate would use her pc (which was mine, my image) and talk on AIM and download crap. She also started being really mean to my wife. So I VNC into the machine while she was talking on AIM and start talking for her. Pretty funny stuff. Google VNC for the software.

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Another great one was the AIM Punter i used in high school - got many hours of entertainment outta that - when poeple were too chatty - chu chunk (aim exit sound). they would get back on and say " i don't know whats wrong with my pc" ahh ditzy high school girls never caught on...

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 04:50 PM
:woot: I got my Cisco switch in the mail today, so I was finally able to go from this:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0519.jpg

To this:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0523.jpg

I still haven't hardwired the power yet, but I got impatient and couldn't wait. Now my servers are tucked away in the closet where I don't have to see (or HEAR) them, and I can use my workbench as a workbench.

SuperPoser
03-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Nice install! now time to have fun with the systems :)

ohio03trdtaco
03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Is it bad I have already thought of adding a server/computer room for me when looking at plans for the house we are going to build?

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Nice install! now time to have fun with the systems :)

Thanks. Now I just need to re-run the network cables from all of my workstations to the Cisco Switch. Now that I own the house I can do it the right way. I'm going to put wall plates in each of the rooms with network/phone/cable jacks in them. I'm also going to move my wireless access point to the attic so that I get good connectivity with my Pocket PC that I use for GPS/MP3 player in the truck.

I'm hoping that putting the rack in the closet will not cause issues with overheating. I'll just have to watch it, and add some sort of ventilation if neccessary.

Now all I need to complete my server rack is the following:

Rack side rails for the DL360 servers (they came with server side rails, but I haven't been able to find the rack side, and the ones that I have found have been outragously priced.) The place that I got the servers from is supposed to be looking for some for me.

8 port KVM Switch and cables.

Rack mount Keyboard/LCD monitor.

Rack mount UPS (I've found some nice APC 1500VA units for around $100)

I'd like to try using Cisco for my router/gateway. I'm pretty happy with the Linksys stuff, but it would be good to get more Cisco experience, and the Cisco stuff is far more configurable as far as port security/forwarding for my web server.

And, of course, a rack mount server that will support large capacity drives to replace my existing file server.

And, Jeebs - I asked Chris at the place that I got the servers from to get some more of those DL360 servers and similar units. I want to buy at least one more, and I told him that I knew several people who are looking for similar type servers. Hopefully he'll have more pretty soon.

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Is it bad I have already thought of adding a server/computer room for me when looking at plans for the house we are going to build?

No, thats not bad at all....Tell Steph to just imagine not having your junk all over the house, but only in one room. Also, one of the things that drove me nuts with all of those computers running is the noise. One or two isn't bad, but when you have a bunch it can be awful annoying. It's nice to keep it all in one room. Another plus is that if the furnace ever went out, I could just sleep in my office. Those computers keep it nice and toasty in there, even though its in the basement.

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
And, Jeebs - I asked Chris at the place that I got the servers from to get some more of those DL360 servers and similar units. I want to buy at least one more, and I told him that I knew several people who are looking for similar type servers. Hopefully he'll have more pretty soon.

I actually called them the past weekend and they didn't have any in at the time. Good thing i suppose, as i got a few new "desktop" servers that appear to be working well. I may look into one to host my "my docs", pictures, and outlook pst's because of the redundency of the 18 gb drives. But we shall see. I will keep the link because at some point, i will be needing some pc's :).

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 07:36 PM

It is not a bad thing at all - tell her by being a bigger nerd now, it will allow you to make more money later!

Jeebs01
03-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I use a windows 2k3 server as my gateway/firewall. It is possible to use a cisco router, but you would want to make sure you got your access lists down to a T. It would also allow you to make a nice DMZ setup. Just make sure you get a router with two ethernet ports. Mine (bought as a batch) each have 1. Its ok though, i string the serial ports together, and use the ethernet drop as links to each of my switches vlan's. When i get stuff pretty, ill post up some technical aspects and new photos.

bradleyem
03-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I use a windows 2k3 server as my gateway/firewall. It is possible to use a cisco router, but you would want to make sure you got your access lists down to a T. It would also allow you to make a nice DMZ setup. Just make sure you get a router with two ethernet ports. Mine (bought as a batch) each have 1. Its ok though, i string the serial ports together, and use the ethernet drop as links to each of my switches vlan's. When i get stuff pretty, ill post up some technical aspects and new photos.

I like the idea of using a hardware appliance to lessen the possibility of it being hacked or getting a virus. The linksys stuff works pretty good for routing, but the routing/port forwarding tables are pretty small. I don't like the idea of using a DMZ because that pretty much opens up all of your ports on the DMZ computer. Right now I'm just forwarding the ports that I need for HTTP, FTP and VPN to my webserver. I use uncommon IP addresses for all of my local network stuff, and I don't allow name resolution to pass through, even over VPN, so you'd have to know the IP of the target system to try to attack it. I'm even looking at locking my internal network down by MAC address to make it that much more secure.

ohio03trdtaco
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
I run a open wireless net work at my house. :D

Jeebs01
03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Even with a WEP key, its crackable. Thanks to my handy cisco aironet 850 card and a linux distro! It takes time though. Longer than ive ever cared to take. Ive tried over night, but never got enough interesting packets.

ohio03trdtaco
03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I have range in my favor. You would half to be parked in my driveway to get any data. It is over 500' to the road and there is a bike path fallowed by a golf course behind me. If we get our house built it will even be farther. :D

Jeebs01
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
My security isn't quite up to par :( i plan on running a VPN setup, the server is still being built. For now, i just have a crazy arss long password on an oddly named domain account with no local logins enabled sitting with only inbound port 3389 open on the net. Its OK - if someone wants in, theres always ways (always). It is enough now just to keep the n00bs out :). I know, not the best security practices...

I like the idea of using a hardware appliance to lessen the possibility of it being hacked or getting a virus. The linksys stuff works pretty good for routing, but the routing/port forwarding tables are pretty small. I don't like the idea of using a DMZ because that pretty much opens up all of your ports on the DMZ computer. Right now I'm just forwarding the ports that I need for HTTP, FTP and VPN to my webserver. I use uncommon IP addresses for all of my local network stuff, and I don't allow name resolution to pass through, even over VPN, so you'd have to know the IP of the target system to try to attack it. I'm even looking at locking my internal network down by MAC address to make it that much more secure.

Jeebs01
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM
No Worries there then :) That is pretty far. If you that far into the "country", most likely don't have to worry about someone using your internet.

My wife and her roommate barrowed internet an entire year at school. Very good stuff when your on a college budget.

I have range in my favor. You would half to be parked in my driveway to get any data. It is over 500' to the road and there is a bike path fallowed by a golf course behind me. If we get our house built it will even be farther. :D

ohio03trdtaco
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
No Worries there then :) That is pretty far. If you that far into the "country", most likely don't have to worry about someone using your internet.

My wife and her roommate barrowed internet an entire year at school. Very good stuff when your on a college budget.

I have had many a service call where some one thought they were on there network was actually connected to a neighbors. This town is great for open wireless networks in range.

Jeebs01
03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
BTW - there doesn't appear to be any issues with Server 2k3 sp2 that i have noticed. I didn't really read the release nots though :o but i was installing on fresh servers. Anyways, all worked well over the past week.

SuperPoser
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
ok,
may have already discussed this, but do any of you guys use an hdmi vid card?

Jeebs01
03-21-2007, 07:33 AM
None here - im still running a card with 4x AGP! And thats after i just did 4 hours of re-imaging and swaping parts around! NO MORE PC133 MEMORY in my main PC!!!! i am now running DDR 266 :)

On a good note, i did get a cisco 2600 and a 805 router since ive last posted.

ohio03trdtaco
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
I still have all crt monitors. I am waiting for one or two too burn up then might upgrade.

SuperPoser
03-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I have 1 19" normal lcd (4:3 or whatever the ratio is) a couple 19" tubes, a 17" tube, and a 22" cad tube I won at work :rofl:
(anyone want a huge ass cad monitor :rofl: )

Jeebs01
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
LOL - i currently have a 17 CRT monitor, but when i was in school, in a DORM room, i had 2 21in CRT cad monitors. Poeple always got a kick out of the screens. Needless to say, my room was cramped. at the foot of the bed, i also had a 12u wall mount rack with a server sitting in it, NAS (network attached storage - 40gb), wireless accesspoint, and a catalyst 1924xl. I got asked "what was that?" i told them and they looked confused and left. I always thought it was funny. I am a Geek through and through. Anyways... Ive upgraded racks since, and the 21inchers all died when i moved out :(.

:)

I have 1 19" normal lcd (4:3 or whatever the ratio is) a couple 19" tubes, a 17" tube, and a 22" cad tube I won at work :rofl:
(anyone want a huge ass cad monitor :rofl: )

tacotoy
03-21-2007, 02:38 PM

wow i gotta catch up on this thread lol.

yeah my roomate and i did that for almost a year before we finally moved out. we overrode some peoples passwords too. with a few access points and some handy networking we could pull in about 5 signals that were worth it to use. that made playing counterstrike a blast lmao.
we also paid our rent by hitting the slot machines about 5 minutes after some retired person left it lol.... i miss the good old days

OFRD_GRL
03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
wow i gotta catch up on this thread lol.

theres only 6 pages total, slacker!
LMFAO

tacotoy
03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
theres only 6 pages total, slacker!
LMFAO

sorry i have been busy doing other things :D

maybe i should not worry about those other things as much and pw on the boards more?

OFRD_GRL
03-21-2007, 05:46 PM
sorry i have been busy doing other things :D

maybe i should not worry about those other things as much and pw on the boards more?
well... that all depends on what other things you are doing i suppose? If they are important then no you probably shouldn't ignore them :2cents: :D :p ;) :cool:

and you're the one that said you need to catch up.. I was just pointing out the obvious. Yes. You can call me Captain Obvious if you want to. :D

Jeebs01
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Bump for the Geek thread... its been a while... ANYWAYS... i haven't been around for a while because of some studing... i got my CCNA (640-801)last friday. Very exciting for me. CCNA= Cisco Certified Networking Associate -> programming routers/switches so you guys can download your pr0n, i mean music, with low latency.

During my stuides, i had 2 2500 routers die on me. I got one working again. I picked up another 2900 (2u) switch with fiber drops, 2600 router fully loaded with ethernets and serial connections, a 805 router, and a 4500 router (big boy) with 8 serial and 4 ethernet ports. I have also picked up about 4 more "server" pc's - one being dual processor with scsi 18gb. Will post pictures up sometime...

ohio03trdtaco
04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah been meaning to post.

Una got my Dell laptop mostly fixed up on the sleep mode problem. Looks like dell is having a lot of trouble with this, and had a ton of new drivers and 2 releases for the bios on my system.

OFRD_GRL
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
wow im awesome. i totally fixed erics computer and didnt even know it!

SuperPoser
04-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah been meaning to post.

Una got my Dell laptop mostly fixed up on the sleep mode problem. Looks like dell is having a lot of trouble with this, and had a ton of new drivers and 2 releases for the bios on my system.

wow im awesome. i totally fixed erics computer and didnt even know it!

I thought eric was the computer tech guy... why is he having una fix his computer :rofl:

Jeebs01
04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Interesting reading material on WEP "Security" - Crack WEP keys in under a minute:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/wireless_code_cracking/print.html

Technical white paper:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf

SuperPoser
04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
the forums' "new threads" arn;t working properly again

SuperPoser
04-13-2007, 03:54 PM

OFRD_GRL
04-16-2007, 08:58 PM
this is kind of geek talk....
i started converting all my CDs to MP3s so I can consolidate space and such... it will be nice for the drive to CO too lol

bradleyem
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
this is kind of geek talk....
i started converting all my CDs to MP3s so I can consolidate space and such... it will be nice for the drive to CO too lol

MP3s are awesome if you have an MP3 compatible car stereo. I can burn over 100 songs on a single CD in MP3 format and have hours of music. Plus you get the artist/title display if your player supports it. The only issue that I've had is with copy protected songs that I've downloaded. My stereo doesn't seem to like playing protected music, even though it says that it's supposed to be able to. So, after I download a bunch of music from walmart or wherever, I just burn it to a CD as a regular music CD, then I rip it back to the computer to get rid of the copy protection. Kinda' a pain in th butt, but at least then all of my music is copy protection free.

I've ripped all of my CDs to my server and between them and what I've downloaded I have over 3700 songs in my music library.

SuperPoser
04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
what compressions do you guys use?
I am going the other way with sacd's ;)
although some of the cd players I have auditioned are very very nice...
so perhaps cd's arn't dead yet...
just need some money to spend on a nice cd player or sacd player

bradleyem
04-17-2007, 07:06 AM
what compressions do you guys use?
I am going the other way with sacd's ;)
although some of the cd players I have auditioned are very very nice...
so perhaps cd's arn't dead yet...
just need some money to spend on a nice cd player or sacd player

I use the highest bitrate that I can in Windows Media Player (144BPS). I'm not concerned about the space, so I would rather have the quality. There is a noticable difference between a production CD and a burned CD though, although it's not too bad at all using the higher bitrates. Where most people mess up is when they try to tweak the music (messing with EQ settings and levels) to try to make is sound better, and usually it ends up sounding worse. Unless you're using studio quality equipment, its really hard to get the levels tweaked fluidly...then the music sounds "choppy" at least IMO.

SuperPoser
04-17-2007, 07:58 AM
I use the highest bitrate that I can in Windows Media Player (144BPS). I'm not concerned about the space, so I would rather have the quality. There is a noticable difference between a production CD and a burned CD though, although it's not too bad at all using the higher bitrates. Where most people mess up is when they try to tweak the music (messing with EQ settings and levels) to try to make is sound better, and usually it ends up sounding worse. Unless you're using studio quality equipment, its really hard to get the levels tweaked fluidly...then the music sounds "choppy" at least IMO.

if doing a cd copy using nero or clone cd,
does this actually copy bit for bit, or does it still rip/compress the songs, then burn the ripped/compressed song to cd?

in audioreview.com, there was a discussion about copied cd's not sounding as good as the original, but my standpoint, if the cd is actually copied, bit for bit, then there is no difference digitally, therefore, all audio equipment held equal, the sound would be the same unless the transport was unable to read the burned media properly...

I however did not claim the software actually did a bit to bit copy, simply if it does, there should be no difference in sound...

from what I remember, clonecd did have a bit to bit copy ability, not sure about any other programs :dunno:

RedRunnertc
04-17-2007, 08:09 AM
This should be in the audiophile thread LOL

Remember - MP3 is "lossy" compression - it eliminates material that is similar in frequency but at a lower amplitude. Once you rip it, the nuances are gone. For most stuff I'm using MP3 for, the system and my hearing isn't good enough to pick up the difference, so I use a lower bitrate (I usually choose "variable" - sometimes I use 128) to get a bit more compression. The biggest thing for MP3 for me is my iPod and I'm not sure what bitrate it uses (AAC compression though)

OFRD_GRL
04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
oh shush troy lol

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Dan got married last weekend

the theme "White and Nerdy" or something like that

these photos belong in this thread :rofl:

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/59/559/2/73/60/2785273600043354482njnHef_th.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/album/558772225VMuOPZ)
the photos at the end are graphic :rofl:

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
someone photoshop this pic
I am sure we can get something halarous!

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/16/16/0/54/66/2261054660043354482IxVqqc_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2261054660043354482IxVqqc)

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 11:26 AM
ok
after messing that last post up several times,
I think I got it right... :rofl:

now
who wants to photoshop this for somefun :rofl:

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Asian AB Porn! goto Page 62 if this link doesn't take you straight there... :woot: (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/5058-br101_-en-p.pdf#page=62)

RedRunnertc
04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Mike - that was so bad, I went looking for it:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/DanElHombre/smilies/loser.gif

SuperPoser
04-24-2007, 07:19 AM
that chick is hot man!
and with AB, all she needs is a moon integrated and some focal electra's and wow would that make a happy night!

ohio03trdtaco
10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
been a little while since this thread was posted in. Well moved my desk around the other day. Well there are a total of 4 computers under 3 hadn't been booted in well a while and the other is my main desk top. So any it has been so long sine they had been booted I couldn't remember if they were even bootable. So I take a peek all three have hard drives and boot first on up, Compaq Presario 5190 amd k6-2 450mhz 396MB ram, boots up fine with win 98 and 20G hard drive. Second computer is a dell pII 550mhz 256MBram, boots up as well and has win 98 on it then I look at the specs and found the dang 40G hard drive that I was missing. :D The thrid rig is a 350mhz PII with 256MB ram and 20G running red hat but forgot the dang long in password. :( So that is the junk under my desk oh there will be a forth soon and just bought a 5 tucked under there some time soon. I have two monitors and just ordered a 4 channel KVM today. Yep getting that time of year again.

Jeebs01
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Nice update - it has been a long time for this thread. Finding "new" hardware is always a blast! As you add to your collection, I have taken away, kinda.

ohio03trdtaco
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I have to spend some time cleaning up my main desktop. I need to get ohttora files moved to a nice clean place. Right now I have so many folders and duplicate entries I confuse myself. Plan one computer will become a file print server, one computer linux box. As for the rest of the computers not sure what I will do with those. I forgot I have a 333mhz Compaq laptop in running order and a 1.4ghz Compaq laptop in running order + the new dell latitude work laptop.

Jeebs01
10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice - laptops are nice because of mobility - obviously. But my dells are so big they are almost desktops. How do you like your newer dell? my company currently has IBM's which work well - they seem durable. They are looking at dells though. what are your thoughts on the durability?

ohio03trdtaco
10-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Nice - laptops are nice because of mobility - obviously. But my dells are so big they are almost desktops. How do you like your newer dell? my company currently has IBM's which work well - they seem durable. They are looking at dells though. what are your thoughts on the durability?

I got to pick them out for us at work. :D I like the IBM's better for durability's but as for price and more bang for the buck the Dells won out. My dell has been field since February with no issues and early Vita computer. I bang it around a bit but try not to. We have Latitude L131 with AMD possessors.

RedRunnertc
10-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I filled up my 120GB hard drive with 'wheeling pictures.

BestBuy had 500GB on sale for $100. :woot:

Now iTunes is all jacked up ... Apple stuff sucks.

NEV2DEP
10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I filled up my 120GB hard drive with 'wheeling pictures.

BestBuy had 500GB on sale for $100. :woot:

Now iTunes is all jacked up ... Apple stuff sucks.

you know that ipods have been hacked.you can use media player to sync shit onto your i pod now.don't know much about it but I wouldn't mind to have a ipod now that you are not stuck using itunes.

RedRunnertc
10-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but all my shizzy is ripped into iTunes, and I don't want to have to go through it again...

See, here's my issue with Apple - they may indeed not crash/fail as much as PC stuff, but at least with PC stuff, they give you a reset button or a menu choice to make it easy to fix. Apple thinks they don't need that, so when it DOES happen it takes like 100x longer to fix...

SuperPoser
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, but all my shizzy is ripped into iTunes, and I don't want to have to go through it again...

See, here's my issue with Apple - they may indeed not crash/fail as much as PC stuff, but at least with PC stuff, they give you a reset button or a menu choice to make it easy to fix. Apple thinks they don't need that, so when it DOES happen it takes like 100x longer to fix...

I thought you were an audiophile troy?

RedRunnertc
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
The iPod is mostly for the truck when 'wheeling. If the trucks would ever stop sucking up all my damn money, I'd get back into the audiophile thing again - one of my speakers is blown :(

SuperPoser
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
The iPod is mostly for the truck when 'wheeling. If the trucks would ever stop sucking up all my damn money, I'd get back into the audiophile thing again - one of my speakers is blown :(

I have talked to a couple people who have blown the woofer on studio and signature series...
seems to be a common problem... goodluck with the repair

RedRunnertc
10-06-2007, 12:07 PM
That's exactly what has happened I think. I'm hoping it's the driver and not the crossover.

RCBS
10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
i have just suddenly realized after reading a few pages...i am...not very computer literate. although the circa '92 DOS system we use here at work is no problemo.:D seriously, it's scary to me how easily i become lost in these conversations.:dunno:

bradleyem
10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Yesterday I scored a 16 channel digital video recorder. (Actually 2, but a friend of mine that I work with is getting the other one). They are General Solutions DigiOp units. The have 16 Video inputs, 4 Video outputs, and will record audio also. They will also control pan/tilt/zoom cameras by dragging the mouse on the picture. I can monitor the cameras from anywhere on my laptop. They were top of the line units back in their day (about 3 years ago when I installed them). The hard drive crashed in one of them, so they upgraded them both. They cost about $10000 each when new. Now I just need to get some cameras to connect to them.

The only thing is, that my server rack as it is will heat my whole house :eek:
I need to come up with a way to cool all of this stuff. Liebert has some really nice rack mount A/C units, but those things are super expensive. I have several fans mounted in the rack, but that just takes all of the hot air and blows it around. I'm looking into using some peltier cooling modules, like they use in those 12 volt plug in igloo coolers.

ohio03trdtaco
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Yesterday I scored a 16 channel digital video recorder. (Actually 2, but a friend of mine that I work with is getting the other one). They are General Solutions DigiOp units. The have 16 Video inputs, 4 Video outputs, and will record audio also. They will also control pan/tilt/zoom cameras by dragging the mouse on the picture. I can monitor the cameras from anywhere on my laptop. They were top of the line units back in their day (about 3 years ago when I installed them). The hard drive crashed in one of them, so they upgraded them both. They cost about $10000 each when new. Now I just need to get some cameras to connect to them.

The only thing is, that my server rack as it is will heat my whole house :eek:
I need to come up with a way to cool all of this stuff. Liebert has some really nice rack mount A/C units, but those things are super expensive. I have several fans mounted in the rack, but that just takes all of the hot air and blows it around. I'm looking into using some peltier cooling modules, like they use in those 12 volt plug in igloo coolers.

Use a drier vent run it to the out side and draw air in from the out side on cool/cold days.Then rout a ac vent into it for the summer. :D All you would have to worry about is humidity.

RedRunnertc
10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm looking into using some peltier cooling modules, like they use in those 12 volt plug in igloo coolers.

Back in the day, I used one of those to cool the amp rack in my truck.

You don't have to worry about freezing anything, but I guess it is better to blow cool air over the equipment than to just keep recirculating hotter and hotter air.

bradleyem
10-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Back in the day, I used one of those to cool the amp rack in my truck.

You don't have to worry about freezing anything, but I guess it is better to blow cool air over the equipment than to just keep recirculating hotter and hotter air.

They make commercial solid state air conditioners that use peltier coolers. They even make some that are for computer racks, I'm just not sure how much they cost. I figure it would be much cheaper to buy the modules and fans from an electronic supply store and make one myself.

Those things are really cool (no pun intended), and I could think of lots of uses for them. You could use a small one to cool the CPU in your computer, or, like yo said to cool an amp. I'm surprized that no one has made an intercooler using one for turbo/supercharged applications. They are pretty efficent, and wouldn't draw much power compared to the amount of additional boost that you could run without the risk of detonation.

My Samoyed is a purebred show dog, and the breeder took him to a couple of shows. The first show was in Canfield, and it was almost 110 degrees out. Everyone was miserable, especially the dogs. I thought of using a peltier module to make a small self contained air conditioning unit for a dog crate. You could even run it from rechargeable batteries built in to a little storage area in the crate, and plug it in to charge it and run it. Those dog show people are nuts anyway, so they'd be all over something like that. You could also put one on a dog house (I have a dogloo for my dogs, but they never use the damn thing) and since peltier modules will cool AND heat, you could use a thermostatic control to make an HVAC system for the dog house.

SuperPoser
10-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Those things are really cool (no pun intended), and I could think of lots of uses for them. You could use a small one to cool the CPU in your computer, or, like yo said to cool an amp. I'm surprized that no one has made an intercooler using one for turbo/supercharged applications. They are pretty efficent, and wouldn't draw much power compared to the amount of additional boost that you could run without the risk of detonation.

Be carefull which peltier device you purchase...
I actually purchased one for a gaming rig back in college...
it took so much power, I ended up building a seperate 12vdc supply for it because it killed one of my computer powersupplies when I tested it...

I think you can get them with different temperature differentials... I think mine was a 40 Deg C. differential...

also note... the cold side got really cold, but the hot side could burn you if you touched it...
these things need HUGE heat sinks on the hot side

SuperPoser
10-11-2007, 11:50 AM
page 8 :woot:

btw...
my project ended up never working right so I went back to a standard cooling system...

ohio03trdtaco
10-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Any one got any scsi hard drives that are 18gig or more laying around? I just got my hands on a old server but it only has 2 4gig hard drives. Also the bad part is that the server was set up for external storage and only has 2 internal hard drive bays. If any one wants spec on there server it is a old pII 350mhz at least I think it is haven't doubled checked yet. It has dual possessors and 512Mgb of ram. This is after I parted out it's twin.

bradleyem
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Any one got any scsi hard drives that are 18gig or more laying around? I just got my hands on a old server but it only has 2 4gig hard drives. Also the bad part is that the server was set up for external storage and only has 2 internal hard drive bays. If any one wants spec on there server it is a old pII 350mhz at least I think it is haven't doubled checked yet. It has dual possessors and 512Mgb of ram. This is after I parted out it's twin.

What brand is it? I have several HP/Compaq 18 Gig hot swap drives with cages. I also have a few internal drives ( I think they are IBM, around 40 Gig ).

ohio03trdtaco
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Case is a MDI if I remember right, and the drives are segate barracudas. I will take a pic of my desk at home tonight. :D The server case it the huge with tons of space but none usable.

bradleyem
10-26-2007, 09:05 AM
I just picked up a Compaq 8 port KVM with cables for $99 from e-bay. I also got an APC 1400VA rack mount UPS for $50 .....the killer on that was shipping. That was $56. And I got a 17 outlet rackmount power strip with a digital display for V/A/Freq/Watts/VA/PF for $60.

bradleyem
10-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Case is a MDI if I remember right, and the drives are segate barracudas. I will take a pic of my desk at home tonight. :D The server case it the huge with tons of space but none usable.

Well, if a standard internal SCSI drive will work, then I'll check out the ones that I have and send one your way.

ohio03trdtaco
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I just found my old work computer again, and pulled my personal hardware from it. So I now have a pci to ide drive controller and a hot swap IDE bay. The twin setup is in my main desk top at home not being used. I may switch over to IDE drives. I have 2 30gig drives that may work better than what I got right now. Is there any reason I shouldn't switch to IDE?

bradleyem
10-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I just found my old work computer again, and pulled my personal hardware from it. So I now have a pci to ide drive controller and a hot swap IDE bay. The twin setup is in my main desk top at home not being used. I may switch over to IDE drives. I have 2 30gig drives that may work better than what I got right now. Is there any reason I shouldn't switch to IDE?

No, not really any reason not to switch. IDE drives are far cheaper. Older IDE drives are slightly slower than SCSI, but not noticably. Newer ATA drives are hardly any different. The only real reason to stay with SCSI, is if the controller supported RAID, and you needed the redundancy.

ohio03trdtaco
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
No, not really any reason not to switch. IDE drives are far cheaper. Older IDE drives are slightly slower than SCSI, but not noticably. Newer ATA drives are hardly any different. The only real reason to stay with SCSI, is if the controller supported RAID, and you needed the redundancy.

:kewl: I am going to switch over then. So don't worry about the drive I have a few 30gig IDE/ATA drives laying around so I will just use those.

Jeebs01
10-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I just picked up a Compaq 8 port KVM with cables for $99 from e-bay. I also got an APC 1400VA rack mount UPS for $50 .....the killer on that was shipping. That was $56. And I got a 17 outlet rackmount power strip with a digital display for V/A/Freq/Watts/VA/PF for $60.

Nice deals man - i need to get a power strip like that. UPS would be nice, but just an added luxury.

99TanTaco
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
using a LG8300 is there a way to send/email multiple pics at once? I have verizon if that matters

bradleyem
12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Well, I've had a 19" CRT monitor for about 8 years that has been a really good monitor. For awhile I used dual 15" LCD monitors, until I beta tested VISTA, and I couldn't get them to work with VISTA. When i switched back to XP Pro, I just kept the 19" CRT monitor on there because I needed the space on my desk for my work laptop. That monitor started going blank every once in awhile. if i turned it off for a few minutes it would come back on and work for days. Then it got progressively worse, until it was pretty much unusable. So, I went out and splurged over the weekend and bought this:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0158.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/DSCN0159.jpg

It's a Gateway HD2200 High Def LCD Flatscreen. It just barely fits in the monitor spot on my desk. I LOVE this monitor. Micro Center had an Acer 22" flatscreen on sale for $199, but after doing alot of research and looking at them side by side i spent more and got a much better monitor.

SuperPoser
12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
whats the res on that baby?

bradleyem
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
It has 1680x1050 native resolution. I would have really like to be able to get a 1080p true Hi-Def monitor, but the native resolution for 1080p is 1920x1080. The monitors that support that resolution are bigger than 22", and this 22" monitor barely fit in the monitor cubbie on my desk. I will probably modify my desk in the future so that I can put another 22" monitor next to this one. I'll have to cut the doors on the cabinet and move the bottom of the cabinet up so that its even with the shelf on top of my existing monitor. Of course, then I'll have to find a new place for my work laptop too......

ohio03trdtaco
01-27-2008, 01:17 PM
I built a new system fore my brother in law. Specs are

Intel dual core 2.0GHz 1MB cache
Intel Essential Series mother board with on board video, stealing 128MB ram for the video.:(
1024MB PC2 4300 RAM
160GB Seagate Barracuda SATA hard drive 7200 rpm 8MB cache
Lite On SATA DVD burner
OS is XP Home

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/ohio03trdtaco/David%20computer/th_DSCF0211.jpg (http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/ohio03trdtaco/David%20computer/DSCF0211.jpg)

Warsloth
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I have to say I advise against setting any HD's up in RAID. It just hasn't worked out well for me and dad, especially for when one screws up and you need to recover anything... just my :2cents:
I gave up on doing anything complex with computers a while back. I now have fewer headaches and better blood pressure. I friggin' hate this crap.

SuperPoser
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
nice

RCBS
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
ok, what we have here is a NetVista IBM running windows professional 2000 with two USB inputs built into side of monitor. i have a Lexar multicard reader that does not seem to want to interface with said computer. when i try to read my SD card (photos) this computer seems to think that i have plugged in a "mass media storage device" and will not do the same thing my home computer (walmart special w/excel home edition) does. which is basically opening a window with a few veiwing options to select from. i did not have to add any software to the home 'puter to get the reader to work....so what's the friggin deal with this POS NetVista? i was born in '77 so i am somewhat computer literate, but by no means a C++ tech. what can i do to get these damn pics on here?? open to any and all suggestions/solutions. installing software is not an option as our "computer guy" is a Nazi about that shit. by the way, this system has about 40 terminals running off a big black box with IBM on it (a "server", i do believe):D

ohio03trdtaco
03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Let it install the mass storage device then got into my computer. You will see new drive appear there. Your photos should be in a file under that drive.

bradleyem
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Yep, Windows 2000 doesn't have the "open with" dialogue box that pops up with Windows XP and automatically associates pictures with a picture viewing program. It just sees the memory card as a "mass storage device" like any other hard drive. Just let it detect the drive, then go into My Computer, open the drive, and double click on the files. As long as there is an image viewing program on the computer, then they should open up in that program.

RCBS
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
thanks guys! i don't have my card or reader with me, but will try again when i get a chance. i'm just hoping our computer guy doesn't have everything locked out...i don't think he does. man, i used to be a pimp with Win 95, but havn't had enough exposure with the newer op systems. we use a DOS system here from '92 i think. only time i get access to windows is during lunch hour and at home w/o net access (what's the point?):) i'll monkey around with this thing some more and hopefully get something going. thanks again!

Ranger

RCBS
03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
not gonna happen. gotta have admin. privilages to do ANYTHING. so unless anyone knkows how to get around admin settings, i guess the pics will have to wait for me to get road runner. :rolleyes:

ugly's ok
03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
thanks for the help Eric it was just the power sup got one from Micro center 30.00 bucks and im back on line.

ohio03trdtaco
03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
thanks for the help Eric it was just the power sup got one from Micro center 30.00 bucks and im back on line.

Cool might get quite around here if your computer goes south. :D

ugly's ok
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Cool might get quite around here if your computer goes south. :DI don't think so!

RCBS
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
ok, got some pics up on photobucket...now how the heezy do i get them to display automaticly in a thread--instead of a url link?

ugly's ok
06-26-2008, 06:44 PM
ok, got some pics up on photobucket...now how the heezy do i get them to display automaticly in a thread--instead of a url link?I think you do this /html/http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b8db22b3127cce98548a0e89bd00000018100Act2LVi5ctG Mg[/URL]] Ok my bad some thing like this though[IMG]http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b8db22b3127cce98548a0e89bd00000017100Act2LVi5ctG Mg

Jeebs01
06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Bump for the geeks in the forum! I got 2 full tower racks now ;)

ugly's ok
11-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for a windows xp disc just need it to restart my computer

ohio03trdtaco
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
pro or home?

ugly's ok
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
home

head
11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I only had pro, but it is on it's way. I'll try to dig up a serial for you.

ohio03trdtaco
11-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I have home if that doesn't work out.

ugly's ok
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
well had to call dell last week but im back on line now. Still have to find some of my old drivers to get everything back that i had be four .

bradleyem
01-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Not a :driving: rig, but a new computer.

I'm beta testing 7. My initial impression......it blows Vista away. I've been sticking with XP because my beta testing experience with Vista was so bad, and my experience with the final release wasn't much better. SP1 was supposed to help with alot of the issues, but by then I'd scrapped the idea of Vista. Too little too late.

The installation of 7 was absolutely amazing. Best OS install so far. It was very quick, and required very little user input.

I've only had 2 issues so far. First of all it wouldnt synchronize with my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone. It seemed to detect it and it installed drivers, but mobile device center would never see it. I found that I needed to install the latest version of WMDC, and all is good. I really like this version of WMDC much better than active sync.

The other issue I expected, since I was running on some pretty old hardware. My video card was limited to 1280x768 resolution, and I could only use VGA, not DVI. No Aero, of course. But, the machine was an old P4 3GHZ with 4gig of RAM and an older ATI All-In-Wonder card. There were no drivers for the card, which forced it to use the generic VGA driver.

Other than those 2 things (really one thing after I updated WMDC), the system was surprizingly fast, and worked extremely well on my old hardware.

I was so happy with it that it made me go and get a new machine so that I could take advantage of it. I usually build my own computers, but I got a really good price on a Gateway LX6810-01. I now have a Core 2 Quad processor, 8 Gigs of RAM, 600 Gig SATA hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 120T (soon to be upgraded), and HDTV tuner card. It looks amazing on my two 22" flat panel monitors.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/bradleyem/GatewayLX6810-01.jpg

SuperPoser
01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice DudE!

RCBS
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
so i'm finally getting a broadband line at the house. now i need a wireless router so i can get down on Playstation Network. i have tried researching them on the net...but am still confused. i've looked at Netgear, Linksys, and Belkin. from what i've figured out, the PS3 is a "G" type device, however, the new "N" routers are "backwards comatable" and should run it fine. i've read that routers with MIMO seem to work better with the PS3. these things are like everything else, i guess...if there's 5 people with a good experience, there are 5 people who've had a bad one. further research has shown that many of the bad experiences are probably due to the operator not updating the Firmware on their device. i've also read that a router that has AOSS will work better with the PS3. :confused:

here's the deal...i don't mind spending a little extra to get something that i don't have to mess with, and has a good, fast, signal. however, i don't want to go over $100. range isn't much of an issue for me. the computer and PS3 are only 1 room apart. i'm looking for suggestions or good/bad past experiences. if anyone is using their routers for online gaming, your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

keep it in layman's terms if you can, i'm not that Tech savy.

any help/comments welcome

head
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I had a Linksys for about 4 years that I never had a problem with. Only reason I don't use it now is because my DSL came with a free wireless router. I also had a D-Link way back when I started college and it worked great for the 4 years we used it. Everyone I know uses a Linksys and haven't had any issues with them. I do know people that have used D-link and they would crap out after a year or so. So basically, if I ever had to buy another one it would be Linksys.

bradleyem
02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
x2 on Linksys. I've had my Linksys wireless router (I'm now using it just as a wireless access point)for around 5 years and it works great. I have another Linksys hardwire router that I use as a router (I've had that for around 7 years), and it works great too.

I don't really do any gaming, but I do have my wii connected via wireless, and it works fine. Linksys is now owned by Cisco, and Cisco stuff is top notch.