: need some help

Wildturkee
03-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I know a long post but wanted to make sure i got it all:

A litle history on vehical, it is a 1990 Runner w/V6, 5 speed, SR5. i got it in january with a bad clutch. that i replaced along with the fly wheel also.

It ran fine, had plenty of power then about a month ago all the sudden i gave it throttle and it started to have problems. It lost power, would not idle, stalled at stop lights. Got home an the next day would not start at all.

Things i have allready done before this happened:
Timing belt
Termostat
Powerstering pump and belt
Alternator belt

The PIA water bypass hose behind intake manifold (removed manifold plentum) using FSM as a guidline to get it back together properly all vacum hoses routed properly. double cked this a few times, replaced most of them along with the pvc hoses and hoses for the AIR system as most of them were Brittle and cracked. installed new plantum gasket (intake manifold). I have cked and recked the sensors back there to make sure one has not came loose

After loosing power i checked the timing belt and cked that the cams were alighned. they were correctly timed. So I started to ck the plugs for color and wetness to see if they were fowled and found that the #1,3,5 (passenger side) plugs were loose. so i tightened them and will start now but idles poorly and still no power. then i cked the timing per FSM..at 10 degrees. so I replaced the plugs wires and cap/rotor. still not fixed. so next thing i did is a cylinder drop test where you pull plug wires so see if idle changes. if i pull of eitrher #1,2,or4 it dies, if i pull off #3,5,or 6 the idel stays the same. Meaning that #3,5,and 6 are dead. these plugs in these cylinders are wet with fuel keep in mind that this is 2 cylinders on pasenger side and 1 on driver side. Also replaced the fuel filter. I have ck the compression on all cylinders. it is lower that spec but not by much (5-10 psi) so with 290,000 miles on it i know the engine is worn but the compression is still good. I have not been able to get a fuel pressure tester yet, but that was my next thing to ck.

any one w/sugestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

99ARTaco
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Isn't the 3.0 known for having problems with the heads? I know you said you checked compression but still it could be related to your heads? I'm sure a expert with chim in soon?

RedRunnertc
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
3.0 has a history of head gasket problems, but if compression/leak down are good and there's no coolant/oil mixing, it's not likely that's the issue. I was thinking dead valves, but that should show on a compression check too.

So, I'm gonna go with no spark to 3,5,6. Have you checked if you have spark to those plugs?

Wildturkee
03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
yes there is spark there, when i pull the plug wire and tuch it neer the head you see a strong blue spark

spindleshanks
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
You really need a spark tester. Unlike just grounding out the plug, it simulates the pressure inside the cylinder. With the shadetree method, you may have a perfectly good looking spark out in the open air, but nothing in the combustion chamber. Shouldn't be too expensive to buy a spark tester. 3.0 uses just a single ignition coil, right?

Wildturkee
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
yes i could use a spark tester, also i need to get a hold of a fuel pressure guage, if any one has one i could barrow (in the denver area) id appreciate it

spindleshanks
03-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Don't worry, Turkee, we'll get to the bottom of it!

Wildturkee
09-21-2007, 07:10 PM
well got to bottom of it...6 months later. see post: whoo im general discusion