: Pics of bumper around stock bumper???

schcott
03-09-2005, 05:15 PM
hey i was just wondering if anyone has pictures of fabricated bumpers around their stock bumpers?? i want to put something on the front and back, but dont want to take stock bumpers off?? how do you think it would look?? thx

tenntaco
03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
hey i was just wondering if anyone has pictures of fabricated bumpers around their stock bumpers?? i want to put something on the front and back, but dont want to take stock bumpers off?? how do you think it would look?? thx

Not sure about the front, but the back would be ugly no matter what you did. Why build a bumper around a bumper? Isn't that kind of pointless?

schcott
03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Not sure about the front, but the back would be ugly no matter what you did. Why build a bumper around a bumper? Isn't that kind of pointless?

i know it sounds dumb..i dont know how good my truck would look, considering i dont have a lift or anything *altho Donahoes will be coming* i want to give it a little different look...let me add, im thinking more of just a lightbar, but would give a little more protection than just the stock bumper..it wouldnt have a winch or anything...u know what i mean?? but like i said, if you think it would look stupid, let me know..thx

Dick Foster
03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Your approach and departure angles would suck ass. The factory stuff is junk anyway.

tenntaco
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I know what you're talking about with the light bar. Not my style, but at least it serves a purpose. I can't imagine anyway to build a functional (or decent looking) bumper around you're existing stock rear bumper. Like Dick said, that stuff is garbage. Get rid of it as soon as you can;)

bmw678
03-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I know what you're talking about with the light bar. Not my style, but at least it serves a purpose. I can't imagine anyway to build a functional (or decent looking) bumper around you're existing stock rear bumper. Like Dick said, that stuff is garbage. Get rid of it as soon as you can;)
i just got dont fabricating a front bumper around my stock one but i took the bottom vallance part off because thats what takes away your aproach. my truck isnt lifted and it looks sick. i'll take some pictures of it and post them!!!

roctaco
03-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a front bumper from Downey that goes in front of the stocker, has 2 light mount tabs & skid plates that run down to the steering rack. I can email you pics. I would take $100 for it if you like it. Send me your email address. I live 30-40 min. from Garden Grove.

WindsorTaco
03-10-2005, 10:50 AM
i think we're looking for the same thing. i took these pictures from another members website, but i couldnt find which one. so i'll host it. this is what i'm looking for.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/johnny_sarcasm/6728c17b.bmp

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/johnny_sarcasm/35b9800b.bmp

schcott
03-10-2005, 11:29 AM
i just got dont fabricating a front bumper around my stock one but i took the bottom vallance part off because thats what takes away your aproach. my truck isnt lifted and it looks sick. i'll take some pictures of it and post them!!!

alright, that would be sweet...another question, so what exactly is the approad angle?? *sry for the newb question*

schcott
03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I have a front bumper from Downey that goes in front of the stocker, has 2 light mount tabs & skid plates that run down to the steering rack. I can email you pics. I would take $100 for it if you like it. Send me your email address. I live 30-40 min. from Garden Grove.

sent you a pm

mr.trd
03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I have my front bumper built around my factory bumper.... My factory bumper is trimmed slightly but I think that it looks really good.... ohh and if you have a two inch body lift, it could be for sale, both the fabricated bumper and the trimmed factory one.... for pictures of mine and a few others check out the pictures at www.cbioffroadfab.com He has built a few bumpers around the factory bumpers on tacomas, but only on the front....

My truck is the white one with the big stinger and 35's, the other white one with the smaller stinger and 33's is a guy from the Utah chapter also. Ohh the easiest way to tell them apart if you need is mine is the one with the big TRD on the hood and gunmetal wheels and his has polished wheels.... My bumper also has a 2" receiver built into it that is behind the lisense plate....

bmw678
03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
i'm pretty sure the approach angle is the amount of space infront of your truck to be able to crawl over stuff. like if you took your front bumpter off you front tire would be a lot more exposed to be able to go over someing otherwise the rock or what ever would hit your front vallance or bumper.

hope that explained that good!!!

22RToy
03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
alright, that would be sweet...another question, so what exactly is the approad angle?? *sry for the newb question*

Basically, looking at your truck from the side, draw a tangent line from your front tire to the bottom of your bumper. The angle that line makes with horizontal is your approach angle. Bigger angle, better approach.

mgyver1
03-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Waag makes a rear bumper protector as well as a brush guard. Pretty cool looking, but impractical for my use. I used to have a Waag brushguard and they are very nice. Strong, good looking, and great fit. Check them out to see if it's what you want www.waag.com .But like the other guy's said, it reduces aproach angle.

rojodiablo
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
i know it sounds dumb..i dont know how good my truck would look, considering i dont have a lift or anything *altho Donahoes will be coming* i want to give it a little different look...let me add, im thinking more of just a lightbar, but would give a little more protection than just the stock bumper..it wouldnt have a winch or anything...u know what i mean?? but like i said, if you think it would look stupid, let me know..thx
I PM'es you. I'll be around all weekend.

TRD SyRuP
03-11-2005, 11:00 AM
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/manufacturer.asp?cat=TUB&man=DAYTUB&prodline=DAYTUB&catName=Tubular

roctaco
03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but what's a "pm"?

rojodiablo
03-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but what's a "pm"?
Private message. Click on the persons' name, and a list of options comes up. PM's can keep the crap down on a thread, or you can send other info... address, phone#, prices... just like email. So, I'll PM you, and you can see the message. Look up in the right side of your forum bar??/ tool bar when you are in a section. It will read 0.....50 private messages. Don't feel bad, lots of us still don't understand half of the stuff we can use on this board.

schcott
03-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Basically, looking at your truck from the side, draw a tangent line from your front tire to the bottom of your bumper. The angle that line makes with horizontal is your approach angle. Bigger angle, better approach.

aww, thx...and everyone else to...nice truck mr.trd...im not looking to psend that much money, im saving up for Donahoes..thx for the links tho...

sr5trd99
03-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey schcott,
if your looking for a bumper that fits over the stock i got this one for sale.

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=158655

Kevin

hytenor
03-12-2005, 01:08 AM

nothing personal but that doesn't even make any sense. Why would you want to do that? there is no way you are going to attach much of anything to the 8# plastic OE front bumper.

schcott
03-12-2005, 04:38 PM
nothing personal but that doesn't even make any sense. Why would you want to do that? there is no way you are going to attach much of anything to the 8# plastic OE front bumper.

its coo, read the guys post above you...thats what im talking about, something that will go around the stock bumper...i think i used the wrong terminalogy when posting, sry bout that..

hytenor
03-12-2005, 09:56 PM
its coo, read the guys post above you...thats what im talking about, something that will go around the stock bumper...i think i used the wrong terminalogy when posting, sry bout that..

Ah, a light bar ;)

schcott
03-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Ah, a light bar ;)

lol, like i said, i guess i used the wrong terminolgy, but i want something more than justa lightbar, thats why i said bump;er...haha

hytenor
03-13-2005, 03:35 PM
lol, like i said, i guess i used the wrong terminolgy, but i want something more than justa lightbar, thats why i said bump;er...haha
Ok, "Grill Guard" :D

check with Demello for some nice customs models.

Warn makes one that bolts to the OE recovery point mount holes.

schcott
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
acctually im stopping by rojodiablos house today, see some of his work and pics...so ill post some pics when i get them, thx

Jman
06-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Sr5 Where did you originally get that grill guard? I'm looking for a nice simple one like that. I know this is an old post but I just spent most of today trying to find just that and failed miserably. Did get a spray in bedliner installed though so it wasn't a total waste of a day. Thanks.