TTORA Forum banner

Dead truck on the trail. Help!

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  sarathy 
#1 · (Edited)
Dead truck on the trail. Help! *Pics added*

First run with the cruiser since it's been back together and the last 4 hours of the trail were attached to the back of a Jeep as I had my sorry rig dragged to the road where I hope to head back tonight and fix it.

I'm pretty sure the problem is fuel related since it will run for a little bit with no load on the engine, then die. There's no fuel in the bowl in the carb and when I pull a fuel line off the carb it seems like little to no fuel is getting there, making me suspect the mech. fuel pump on my 2F.

I'm thinking of taking an electric pump and new fuel filter and hoping that will take care of the problem although it's cold and snowing and I hate working in the dark but I'm pretty much out of ideas. I don't have a trailer and my Tacoma won't pull it safely if I did, so a roadside repair is my best option. A tow bill would cost me more than I feel my rig is worth right now.

Any other ideas or possible causes to the issue before I head out there with the wrong parts? Can I just put an electric pump in line with the mech pump to get me home and rebuild the mech one? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ......Steve

See less See more
#5 ·
I couldn't get parts tonight for it so it's sitting, all alone in the snow near the reserve. :eek: Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow when I can head out there and hopefully get a new fuel pump in it in this lovely weather we're having. Nothing like having a heated garage and having to do your repairs in a ditch in a snow storm. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Just got it home and it's running great. I took a bunch of fuel line, fuel, enough tools to rebuild an aircraft and most importantly my Tacoma with OBA. First thing I did was pull the fuel filter and not a drop of gas came running out of the line which told me the blockage was upstream, towards the tank. Took off the gas cap, and attached the blow gun and sent 145PSI worth of air towards the tank and nothing happened. After three or 4 more tries, air blew threw and when I pulled the gun off gas came rushing out of the line. Put the filter back on, tightened the clamps and started it up. Now when I get some time I'll have to pull the tank and clean out the debris. ...Steve

#10 ·
Here's a few pics. Sorry for the first one, I'm humiliated too but credit where credit is due.

Here's how the first trip in the 40 ended.

After 3-4 hrs towing, here's where it ended up and looked like when I got back on Monday.

My repair team. Seems a bunch of horses were interesteed in what I was doing and probably liked the salt in the truck.

This little guy wouldn't let me do anything. When I stopped petting him and leaned into the 40 he bit me and tried to lift me out of the engine bay with his head. It slowed me down a bit but it was kind of cool. Definitely not scared as he came between the trucks.

Here's my trucks on the side of the road waiting for my wife to bring out a second driver to get them both home.

.....Steve

#11 ·
Glad you got it home OK, Steve. I cleaned out my gas tank using water, sand and gravel as an abrasive and sloshing it around in there to get rid of deposits and rust, then I acid etched it followed by coating the inside with that POR 15 stuff. It took a while to do. I hope that shit holds up well. Time will tell.

Nice horsey.

#12 ·
It's a poly tank so I shouldn't have to worry about rust. Probably a piece of plastic from tapping in the fittings. I am going to flush it out really well though and probably put a screen on the pick up line. ...Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.