: Question about CA emissions crap

DriftinCO
04-07-2007, 09:32 PM
What do vehicles that have CA emissions crap have that the other 49 states don't? I'm looking at a 4Runner in CA and want to know if it's even worth the effort.

Prodigy
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
California has the strictest emissions laws. So when a vehicle says "California Emissions" it means that it has been built to pass California emission tests.

In CA you must pass an emissions test before you can get license plates.

There is no extra hardware it is more or less stating that it will pass the the strictest emissions in the USA.

RedRunnertc
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Not necessarily true, Prodigy. The older 'runners and trucks had dual O2 sensors and dual cats for "California" models - the newer ones might be different.

Just because a car was sold in CA though doesn't necessarily mean it was a California model (although it's likely). You will find "California" models in other parts of the country too...

Long story short - it's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I'd be more concerned with the salt spray if it's located close to the beach.

spindleshanks
04-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, many of us probably drive CA spec trucks.

DriftinCO
04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Cool news guys. All I need is the paperwork from my credit union and a plane ticket.

The toughest part to swallow will be paying CA taxes. *gulp*

RedRunnertc
04-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Where's it at? Could you buy it in NV and escape taxes?

My uncle bought his boat off-shore to avoid the CA taxes...

DriftinCO
04-09-2007, 03:47 AM
I would have to pay shipping/delivery charges though. I spent way too much time reading CA tax laws over the weekend. On a positive note, I do get some credit for the CA taxes in CO but it is only good for the amount up to the CO tax amount. Which is 2.9% in CO vice 8.25% in CA.

So I would end up flying to CA, riding with the transport/tow truck guy to NV, "buying" the vehicle there and paying the guy to haul it. I should at least ask to see how much it would cost to have it hauled I guess, so I know.