TTORA Forum banner

axle

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  LilJohn 
#1 ·
i am lookin at my buddies 1975 landcruiser and i was wondering what gears are in the front differentials...i have searched and havent fouind anything about stock gears...also i was wondering if that would be a good axle to use for an SAS on my 88..thanks

Mike

#2 ·
75 stock will be 4.11 gears... newer will have 3.73 stock(78+)

Bad news about that axle is:
1) 55 WMS to WMS... so VERY narrow compared to stock Taco
2) "weak" pinion unless it has aftermarket gears then it may have good pinion
3) "weak" birfields... 10 spline outers as well as being smaller bells
4) "weak" knuckle... tightly spaced steering arm pattern that almost nobody makes hi-steer arms for
5) drum brake front end... enough said

Issues 3,4, and 5 can be fixed with a minitruck disc brake front conversion(ie replace everything but the housing basically.

Issue 2 is fixed as mentioned... aftermarket gears with new pinion flange.

Issue 1 is not easly fixed unless you get 3" wheel spacers or have upgraded to the minitruck disc brakes... and then you still have the same options: IFS brakes and wheel spacers.

Personally, in stock form, not work the effort. However, it is slightly possible to make a custom width and driver drop axle. Short version: you can convert rear FJ40 axle housing into front housing by grafting knuckle balls to the housing.

#3 · (Edited)
hey

yea about what you said....it does look very skinny but when i checked it out it already has manual locking hubs and discs in the front...so thats aftermarket??..and it has enclosed knuckles....and i was just wondeing what the gears were because now that i know what they are i was planning on putting 5.29's in it if i use it.....i was just wondering what you guys think about it because i can pick it up for free or around 100 bucks or so

Mike

#4 ·
If it is disc up front it is probably a mini (79-85) swap which fixes most of the "problems". Your new gears will fix the low spline count on the pinion. Ring gear and carrier are quite strong. Width is still an issue so spacers or an IFS hub swap are the fixes there. Finally, the birfs and inners can be upgraded with Longfield stuff if you get to the point that you need them. In any case, if you can get a disc brake axle for that kind of $$ you should grab it. If you decide to pass... let me know!

#5 ·
As wana says, it could be a mini disc swap. But depending upon how late of a 75, it may be the early land Cruiser discs(76-78)... From what I recall, they had the small knuckle bolt pattern so hi-steer arms are still problematic. And the birfield was also not the standard minitruck one... I want to say it was a hair longer.

Pricewise, from what I recall back in the day, anything under $250 was considered a steal;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.