: first jobs

exacto
04-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Im going to get my first job, and I just wanted to hear some stories or some places good to work at... I have never had time because of school and lacrosse, but my season is ending and summer is coming and i need money to pay for my insurance...

Im thinking of working at firestone tires, but if i dont get there i want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

anyways, Im just bored, being 12:30 dosent help, and i have a lacrosse game in 10 hours.
-David

hytenor
04-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Im going to get my first job, and I just wanted to hear some stories or some places good to work at... I have never had time because of school and lacrosse, but my season is ending and summer is coming and i need money to pay for my insurance...

Im thinking of working at firestone tires, but if i dont get there i want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

anyways, Im just bored, being 12:30 dosent help, and i have a lacrosse game in 10 hours.
-David

my first paying job was buckin' hay for $1.75/hr ;)

wradar
04-14-2007, 02:39 AM
My first job was working at Thrifty's Drug Store (now Rite Aid). I was the Ice Cream Boy. That job kicked major butt. TONS of ice cream. Yeah, I had to work stock in a retail store, and that wasn't too much fun. But there was ice cream, so it was all OK.

Having the insanely high metabolism that I did (do), I never gained weight from the pint-a-day consumption schedule I enacted upon my employment with Thrifty. It's a shame I don't have access to so much ice cream at my current job. ...though putting a soft-serve machine, ice box, or freezer in the helicopter would definitely cut down on the cabin space. :D

As for your job: get something you like. It may sound cliche, but no matter how "cool" a job may look, if it's not doing something that you enjoy doing up to 40 hours a week, you should really keep looking.

But, finding a job you like that ALSO has sweet employee discounts isn't too shabby a goal. ;)

Man, I love ice cream,
-Radar

(Flexion)
04-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Don't work for a tire place, that is, unless you don't want to be able to pick up your grandchildren. Yeah, you may get sick discounts, but that is horrible work.

Costco is a nice place to work. They pay pretty well but they don't take shit from anybody. They don't give you discounts, but you will get a free premium membership (woopdee doo).

I worked for UPS for a couple years. You'll lose weight and get real buff, but the preload shift starts at 3:00 A.M. and runs to about 9:00 A.M. Forget the possibility of any nightlife. It's good if you're an insomniac and love lifting weights at three in the morning.

I work for Best Buy right now and love it. It is my highest-paying job thus far and you get awesome discounts. They have positions for those who are not necessarily salesmen (like me) where you work behind the scenes in shipping, receiving, merchandising, etc.

Just don't forget that school always comes first.

Interex
04-14-2007, 03:16 AM
My first job was selling newspapers in front of a grocery store. Worked the weekends and made $50 on a good day but that was a lot for me at 13 years old.

I would recommend working in any type of electronics retail. After you've worked a complete year (including the holidays), you'll relize that you never want to work in retail again. Helps to motivate you to finish school and get a real career. If you want to sit down all day, look at any call centers in your area. I currently work for an outsourcer. The job is easy for agents, all they do is just sit there and answer customer questions. You'll get the pissed ones but eventually learn to deal with them.

Stay away from any type of manual labor jobs (shop/tire place). I'm a weekend roughneck but would never do it 8a-5p.

TimberWolfTaco
04-14-2007, 05:07 AM
I just got my 1st job workin at an ATV repair shop, go check that out

twistytaco
04-14-2007, 05:26 AM
my first job was a lifeguard. decent pay, nice scenery, and you get to be outside all day.

TEJASYOTA
04-14-2007, 07:44 AM
First job was the paperboy for the daily, weekend and the Sunday NYTimes. Did that for 6 odd years. Then my first job out of College, I did retail & UPS (loader & unloader of the semis at their hub) - did that for about 3/4 year before getting my first engineering job as a Process Engineer (still made shit). But learned as much as possible, until I knew I could market myself for a better job and company.

The retail stuff I did was OfficeMax & Bed Bath & BEyond - good for office supplies and home stuff. UPS, it was fun to be paid to work out. ;)

If I had to do it again, and if they were around when i was growing up, I would work at a Best Buy or any auto-parts store (Autozone, etc.). I would pick a place to work that you feel that you would enjoy and can do a decent job.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

In the Field
04-14-2007, 08:01 AM
My first real paying job was at a golf course, on the maintnence crew. The hours were great 6:00-2:30 they fed us at the club everyday, and when the day was over I had a good portion of the afternoon left to work for my dad and my uncle. The best advice I can give you is work your ass off during the summer, and put that money back so you can take it easy during the school year.

Darwalk
04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
My first "real" job was at In-N-Out burger. Bad ass job, good money, free fattening food, and usually some hotties working there. They were usually $2 above minimum wage to start too, so $9.25 to start out here in Cali.

WallyP226
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I sold fruit and vegetables on the side of the road for a local truck gardener.

The only advice I got was tell them that "I am selling them cheap!"

Wally

Big-A
04-14-2007, 08:21 AM
my first paying job was buckin' hay for $1.75/hr ;)

lol....was that when a shave and shine where 2 bits ;)

My first job was a paperboy in Indiana......I bought my first moeped with the money I earned

PathBlazerTRD
04-14-2007, 09:37 AM
lol....was that when a shave and shine where 2 bits ;)

I think I've read about those days in old history books. Was that back when you had to hand carve your own tread in your mud wheels if you knew you were going to be traveling the Oregon Trail during the winter? And if your wagon broke an axle, it would take a couple months for the telegram to reach the axle manufacturer and then get the part to you? Kinda like 4 Wheel Parts today? :D

Back to the OP, if you have any desire to work with people, start calling hotels in your local area. Summer months are very busy and they are usually looking to hire even temp. summer help to work the front desk or as a bellman (work bellman and you can walk around, get some exercise lifting bags and probably make decent tips.) You can't let peoples' attitudes get under your skin easily, but you will open up a lot and get a lot of confidence with talking to people, solving problems and thinking on your feet! I started at the front desk, got a couple promotions up to salaried management and did some hiring. As long as you have a smile and a willingness to help, listen and talk to guests, you should get hired! (those are keywords highlighted to drop in an interview.)

Good luck!!

Big-A
04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
I think I've read about those days in old history books. Was that back when you had to hand carve your own tread in your mud wheels if you knew you were going to be traveling the Oregon Trail during the winter? And if your wagon broke an axle, it would take a couple months for the telegram to reach the axle manufacturer and then get the part to you? Kinda like 4 Wheel Parts today? :D

Good luck!!

:lmao:

Yeap those where the days

AK98Taco
04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
My first job was commercial fishing, gill-netting, in Alaska. Long, challenging days and crappy pay, but it was outside.

Next job was deckhanding on halibut charters, and that was much better. Shorter days, easier work, better pay, a little less dangerous.

Get a job on a charter boat. Nothing else like blue water, blue skies, and fish on the deck.

Fox4Rnr
04-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I worked for UPS for a couple years. You'll lose weight and get real buff, but the preload shift starts at 3:00 A.M. and runs to about 9:00 A.M. Forget the possibility of any nightlife. It's good if you're an insomniac and love lifting weights at three in the morning.

Just don't forget that school always comes first.

Then my first job out of College, I did retail & UPS (loader & unloader of the semis at their hub) - did that for about 3/4 year.

The retail stuff I did was OfficeMax & Bed Bath & BEyond - good for office supplies and home stuff. UPS, it was fun to be paid to work out. ;)

If I had to do it again, and if they were around when i was growing up, I would work at a Best Buy or any auto-parts store (Autozone, etc.). I would pick a place to work that you feel that you would enjoy and can do a decent job.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

x3 on the shipping job. It wasn't my first though. I worked at FedEx Ground doing preload for about a year. Pretty good job, I worked my way up from unloading, to loading the deliv trucks, and then to driving the switcher (yard truck).

Retail would prob. be the best. I've had several friends work at Best Buy too. My first few jobs include a movie theater, Krogers (grocery store), and Home Depot (many diff jobs). But you gotta find something you like.

GonzoTaco
04-14-2007, 10:31 AM
First: Worked for a friend of my grandfather's at his tool shop stocking shelves and eventually was the mover when he decided to move the toolstore in with his pawn shop.

Worked at the Ballpark in Arlington in the concessions warehouse. Stocked warehouse and concession stands. Drove the forklift a bit, carted orders to thes stands. Even became a supervisor.

In offseason of my last year at the ballpark worked at American Airlines Center doing the same thing, same company ran concessions.

Transferred 3 1/2 hours away to another college, went into tech support for a crappy company that cared more about the quarterly profits than its employees.

Now with a different company that cares about its employees, still doing tech support.

_BEN_
04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

-David

Both have full benefits + tuition reembursement.
Used to work for UPS now FedEx

FedEx starts at over $11
UPS will have you making around $11 by the end of your first year.

You need to be 18.

SAR_Squid79
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
My first job was working with my dad on our farm from when I was 7 until I was 17 for $5 an hour. (10 years without a raise!!)

When I was 17 I started working for my friend's dad's Landscaping business for $18 an hour! (sorry dad)

...when I was 18 I joined the Navy so I wouldn't have to get a job!

OR97taco
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Both have full benefits + tuition reembursement.
Used to work for UPS now FedEx

FedEx starts at over $11
UPS will have you making around $11 by the end of your first year.

You need to be 18.

I started with UPS in the preload, and I'm still with them 23 years later as a full time driver. I found that working those hours (3am-8am) left me tired during the day, which made going to school difficult. I never could get used to it. Now, I'm not budging from my day shift. I could get a cushy feeder job if I wanted to work nights again.

peekay331
04-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I would recommend working in any type of electronics retail. After you've worked a complete year (including the holidays), you'll relize that you never want to work in retail again. Helps to motivate you to finish school and get a real career.

amen to that. i worked at best buy one summer and after seeing the guys there try to make a career out of it, i knew i had to hit the books hard. retail blows hard unless you're in high school.

also, i would avoid manual labor type jobs not only bc of the health reasons but bc you'll always be competing with cheap immigrant labor that will only get cheaper.

hytenor
04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
:lmao:

Yeap those where the days

yea, and gas for my '65 Stang was something like $.32/gal :p

mile9SoCounty
04-14-2007, 12:10 PM
My first job was bucking hay for 2cents a bail. First real employment though was with the Oregon DFPA, wildland firefighting. Great ol times too.

hytenor
04-14-2007, 01:00 PM
My first job was bucking hay for 2cents a bail. First real employment though was with the Oregon DFPA, wildland firefighting. Great ol times too.

LOL, another 'red neck' :p
I wound up with 15# of muscle just on my shoulders in a month or so.
Paid for gas, tires and Ins for my car ;) ...the important things at the age of 17, LOL

A-GUEST
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Exacto, my first 'real' job was and still is working at the local grocery store. I think it is Von's for you down there? anyways, I have been there for 15 months now and love it. Get to see everyone in town when they come to shop and actually get raises every 540 hours. Best of all, they work around your schedule for school. That sounds like a prority for you and def. is for me. good luck

-Alex

Jade
04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
My first job was at a cemetery. I had thousands of people under me and folks were just dying to get in.

The cemetery was located across the street from my high school. I manipulated my class schedule so that I had my last two hours open. I would walk out the back door of the school, hop the fence and be at work. The school also had a program that allowed me to get a class credit for the job.

I also get a deal on a plot.

PathBlazerTRD
04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
My first job was at a cemetery. I had thousands of people under me and folks were just dying to get in.....

I also get a deal on a plot.

ROFL:rofl:

cabo john
04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
My first job was cleaning rental fishing boats and and working the dock at Irvine Lake.
**I was fired saving a mans life...A co worker and I performed CPR on a man who fell off his boat and drowned. Lake mgr said we were a liability and was concerned about a legal actions. :confused:

94runner
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
i'm still working my first job. just doing filing/misc. stuff for an eye doctor's office

PathBlazerTRD
04-14-2007, 04:09 PM
i'm still working my first job. just doing filing/misc. stuff for an eye doctor's office

that was my exact first job in high school (besides mowing lawns when i was little.)

kapena
04-15-2007, 01:45 AM
my first real job was loading food onto ships by hand :eek:

n9emz
04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Parts puller at Jungle Auto Salvage, Leesburg, FL

Previous to that I serviced my dad's tow trucks/wreckers and scrapped out abandoned vehicles in his impound lot. I quit because you push a lump of coal up my dad's ass and you can pull out a diamond 10 minutes later. Eventually went back when I had skilz to demand a decent wage.

:D

shovelracer
04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
My first was collecting shopping carts at the local food store. Unfortunetly, part of it was also cleaning the bathrooms and sweeping the floors. You know cleanup on isle 5. Something like 5 bucks an hour. It sucked, but taught me that if you want something, you have to earn it. After that I pumped gas for a few years. That was much better cause I could do my homework when it was slow. I've also delivered pizza, layed carpet, worked a marina, snowboard instructor, landscaper, mason, golf course cart maintenace, data entry, computer tech, Engineer's CAD assistant, Architect assistant, and probably a few more. Most were 2nd and 3rd jobs or paying school work programs. Now I only work for myself and I wouldnt change it for the world. Best thing you can ever do is get a job that you really love. Then it isnt really work at all.

toyotateen
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
try to make it threw lax season first without getting hurt. haha i know i didn't i tore my acl a month ago a practise. now I'm recovering from surgery and trying to find a job that i can still do without using me knee 2 much (i will be able to walk normally soon). any one have any ideas for a job like that?

Dragon150043
04-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I work for Best Buy right now and love it. It is my highest-paying job thus far and you get awesome discounts. They have positions for those who are not necessarily salesmen (like me) where you work behind the scenes in shipping, receiving, merchandising, etc.

I have been trying to get a job at Best buy for a long time now. Why is it so hard to get in?

shovelracer
04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
try to make it threw lax season first without getting hurt. haha i know i didn't i tore my acl a month ago a practise. now I'm recovering from surgery and trying to find a job that i can still do without using me knee 2 much (i will be able to walk normally soon). any one have any ideas for a job like that?

I can think of a ton, but that would all depend on education, skills, driving record. If you like to drive and are old enough, a CDL with the right company could can be a decent gig. Or even delivery for a parts store or something. With bad knees you pretty much rule out any kind of intensive manual labor, or heavy lifting.

keylay
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
my first job was a lifeguard. decent pay, nice scenery, and you get to be outside all day.

x2. Stayed with the company for five years during the summer and winter. Made a shit load of money (for a teenager).

rynosurf
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Where in so cal and how old are you? I work on the side for a bartending / catering company, would be a great first job. We do a lot of weddings and corporate events but we also do big stuff every now and then. I get to work at Coachella at the end of the month.

FJCameron
04-16-2007, 12:06 AM
I worked as a drillers helper on a rock core drilling rig taking core deep out of the ground in 12 hour shifts, 6 weeks straight, then 1 week off :)

Looking for gold. Not a pretty woman in 500 miles back then, did this summers while I went to school.

4xtaco
04-16-2007, 05:38 AM
My first job was as a pizza delivery guy... the straight pay sucked but you could do good on tips. Plus it was at a little bar so you always had the little "perks" of the job.
It was the only job I could get that I could make my own hours- work roughly 3 days out of the week and could afford to drive back and forth to college off what I made those 3 days of work.

toyotateen
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I can think of a ton, but that would all depend on education, skills, driving record. If you like to drive and are old enough, a CDL with the right company could can be a decent gig. Or even delivery for a parts store or something. With bad knees you pretty much rule out any kind of intensive manual labor, or heavy lifting.

any one know how old you have to be to deliver parts for advanced auto or some place like that.

fast frank
04-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I mowed lawns when I was a kid.

When I was 17 I got a job at Astroworld flipping hamburgers at the little restaraunt in Western Junction.

I had a pretty good summer. There was a never ending supply of tang running around that place. The park was full of pussy and the employees were available, too.

That was probably the best summer of my life!

LAW
04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
shipping and recieving for a computer company

john0087
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
My first job was working for a local water park!!!

:boobies:

Freak'n dream job for a 17y/o The job itself sucked, but it was way fun.

John

Paul
04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
any one know how old you have to be to deliver parts for advanced auto or some place like that.

In California, one must be 18 to drive for their employer.

A-GUEST
04-16-2007, 11:40 PM
In California, one must be 18 to drive for their employer.
and not have a license or be a legal resident ... :rolleyes:

jvbull86
05-26-2008, 08:51 AM
My first job was working for a local water park!!!

:boobies:

Freak'n dream job for a 17y/o The job itself sucked, but it was way fun.

John

x2 water parks would be the best place to work at but id have to go with finding a job with a landscaping crew, thats a good job if you want some good old manual labor and it gets you out in the sun. ive been landscaping since i was 13 so 5 years now and its been the only job out of the 11 ive had that ive stayed with for more then 6 months

good luck

mudferret
05-26-2008, 09:06 AM
First real job was as a pin chaser at a bowling alley; as a 15-16 year old it was the perfect environment to sneak friends into while I babysat bowling machines.

First high paying "job" I was offered was when I was 16, an older chick offered me 10K to knock her up. Long story, didn't take the cash, only the sex. Didn't want my spawn running around at that point...

Gallium
05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
My first job was stalking shelves for the 3ed shift. Mindless job that payed min wage. Being a college student with out a degree sucks.

GreenTaco
05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
My first job was working at a bike shop. I cleaned the shop, stocked product, and was a cashier. I later got moved up to sales, service writing, and mechanic. The job was only meant to be a summer job, but I stayed for 4 years. The pay sucked, I got one raise the whole time I was there, but we worked on commission as well so sometimes you got paid really well. The discounts were great too. Eventually all the management changed and owner’s personality changed, so it was time to go. I thought it was a great first job, I just stayed too long.

thenexus
05-26-2008, 11:07 AM
My first job was a paperboy. Some old people would get upset if their paper wasn't right at their door, otheres could careless. Lets just say a paper or two landed on the edge of the roof.:D

Iggy
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
ups

Night_Wolf84
06-08-2008, 10:37 AM
My first job was a oil changer at some oil change shop. A lot like Jiffy Lube so I worked down in the pits. It sucked cause I was being yelled at to hurry up most of the time and it's hard when the floor is oily and very slippery. I was even wearing oil resistant, slip resistant boots. Not to mention changing people's scorching hot oil every 10 minutes and most of the time gets in your eyes and on you. I quit after I got suspened for 2 weeks cause I did a little peel out in the parking lot after work one day. I didn't even make any marks and the new boss suspended me. Was I disturbing the peace or what? What an ass.

CoastTrash
06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
My first job was being a greenskeeper at a golf course, 600am to 330pm. Payed ok since they knew I wasn't going to be there for along time I didn't get full pay. If you like to play golf you get to play for free! Since I worked at one of the best courses in MS it was nice to play for free. Also we got to fish the ponds on the course too. Finally free lunch most of the time ( if the boss man was around we had to pay if he wasn't they would just give or food to us) and it was damn good food too.

tacosupreme
06-08-2008, 12:30 PM
If you want to make a shitload of money over the summer consider wildland firefighting. It's fun, you get to travel, and it pays good. The best part is you can't spend your money in the woods, so you're forced to save it. Try to get on an engine if you're lazy.

apimpdad
06-08-2008, 12:32 PM
first job was a summer job when i was 16 detailing cars. Detailed everything from Mercedes to city cop cars to rv's and the city electric trucks. Very hot work during the Florida summer.

Tacomatrx450
06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
first job was working at autozone wasnt to bad got discounts on parts and the pizza store next store 50% off food :) .. i would recommend also ups if you dont plan on going on to college i have a few buddies who love working there and get paid pretty good with full benefits. dont waste your time on fast food places you really cant use them as job experiences later in life!

kd6ecz
06-08-2008, 04:06 PM
My first job was at a hardware store. I worked at good old Baseline True Value Hardware for about two years back in the late '80s. I didn't get paid very well but I certainly learned a lot during my time there. I went on to work similar jobs at Builders Emporium, Home Depot, and Homebase. I actually miss working at home improvement/hardware stores sometimes.

I now work with GIS (http://www.gis.com/) which really has nothing at all to do with my several years in retail. Go figure.

smitty_runner
06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
golf courses are awsome. i get away with so much shit i shouldnt have

SD Waterman
06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
first job at 18 for me was the local pumpkin patch. i didn't think it would be anything, but there was a lot of loading, unloading, and i worked the damn trampoline/bungee ride, lifting kids up and down almost 8 hours a day for minimum wage and tips. it later turned into a christmas tree lot where i did even more loading/unloading and lifting for minimum wage and tips. i worked with men who were hurting for money to get their kids presents and former delinquents n stuff; even a couple tweakers. i was good with the kids though, one time i two kids were running around the lot and foolin around. then i picked up the chainsaw, gave them the evil eye, revved and raised the chainsaw above my head and chased them. i acted like nothing happened when people came around.

then i did hardwood flooring for a month. i learned a little from that. now, i work at a custom exhaust place, for a guy who's developed a good reputation with a lot of people around southern california. quite a few of our customers drive classics and are the kind of people who don't let others touch their car. my boss is a cool guy, i've learned a lot about cars and fabrication during my 2, going on 3 years there, it's fun, it's dirty and he even understood that school was a first priority. i now have a US Navy Diver contract with the navy and am shipping out in january.

i got the muffler shop job by telling him before summer as a customer "You know i'm interested in this kind of work," and the conversation went on from there.