: Tornado

schcott
12-09-2004, 09:15 PM
im sure people have heard of the tornado. supposed to increase miles per gallon. i was just wondering if anyone has one, or knows anything about them. thx for your time

03trdblack
12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Waste 'O Money

Andrew123654
12-09-2004, 09:18 PM
got a link?

MDTRD
12-09-2004, 09:25 PM
im sure people have heard of the tornado. supposed to increase miles per gallon. i was just wondering if anyone has one, or knows anything about them. thx for your time

Save your money. I've heard from a couple of people that it improved their throttle response. It's not worth it. You'll get more from doing the deck plate mod.

xtremeoff-road
12-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Save your money. I've heard from a couple of people that it improved their throttle response. It's not worth it. You'll get more from doing the deck plate mod.

Agreed, stick to what works :)

nastynate
12-09-2004, 11:14 PM
it's a scam.. it just blocks the flow of air.

Spenc121886
12-10-2004, 12:11 AM
yeah sounds too good to be true

SilverTaco
12-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah I got into a discussion with a very ignorant person the other day. I told him he would never get good or even ok milage with a fullsize truck with 35+in tires. He told me he was just gonna get the Tornado. :rofl:

flatlandtacoma
12-11-2004, 01:07 PM

Junk. :mad:

schcott
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
aight thx everyone. wuts a deck plate mod? im not familiar with that.

mrbigbri
12-11-2004, 03:51 PM
http://www.wattora.com/Mods/deckplate/

tech96
12-11-2004, 08:21 PM

My friend tried one of these about 3 years ago on his Jeep Cherokee and didn't notice a difference. My opinion is don't waste your money.

Bill

3rdidvet
12-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Where can you get the deckplate kit, and how much does it run? I have a 2.7l and will try anything for a couple more horsies here and there!

KRYPTO(dale)
12-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Where can you get the deckplate kit, and how much does it run? I have a 2.7l and will try anything for a couple more horsies here and there!go to a boat store that sells marine supplies.ask for a 3inch deckplate.
basically,all it is,is a hole with a screw on lid.
then you cut a hole in the airbox(to fit the deckplate) seal it with sensor safe silicone stuff and voila!:clap:

alex9021
12-19-2004, 07:04 AM
go to a boat store that sells marine supplies.ask for a 3inch deckplate.
basically,all it is,is a hole with a screw on lid.
then you cut a hole in the airbox(to fit the deckplate) seal it with sensor safe silicone stuff and voila!:clap:
Would you happen to have a brand name or know where I can get a sensor safe silicone. The rubber seal inside my airbox is coming off, I need to glue it back on.

KRYPTO(dale)
12-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Would you happen to have a brand name or know where I can get a sensor safe silicone. The rubber seal inside my airbox is coming off, I need to glue it back on.
permatex-any parts store will have it.pretty easy to find.:cool:

nastynate
12-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Where can you get the deckplate kit, and how much does it run? I have a 2.7l and will try anything for a couple more horsies here and there!

http://www.google.com/search?q=deck+plate+mod

google... use it, love it.

drinkintedbr
12-19-2004, 03:59 PM
I have the 2.7, and the deckplate mod didn't look to easy to do on my truck. Most people do it on the 3.4 because the front of the airbox is flat. Mine has ridges on it, so the deckplate would require some time to put in.

alex9021
12-19-2004, 10:06 PM
permatex-any parts store will have it.pretty easy to find.:cool:
Thanks, I'm glad I waited a little before gluing it back on. I was going to use regular rubber cement.

Toyman321
02-27-2005, 05:26 PM
I did the deck plate mod with a black threaded pipe end, same idea but I managed to get it in black so it blends in, kinda nice having it somewhat hidden when smog time comes around.... California is kinda nutty about that kind of stuff

Duckski
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Here is a test that Mark Salem (who is a butt in my opinion) but he did do a good real world test that you guys might find interesting.
TORNADO TEST (http://www.marksalem.com/tornado.htm)

Tankota
03-03-2005, 02:05 PM
They do work somewhat for a carbureted engine, and maybe even throtle injected engines, it will mix the fuel air a bit better.. a bit..

but for a modern fuel injected engine it doesn't do shit, the fuel is injected right into the cylinders, so it never gets a chance to effect it.. they try and claim it speeds up air flow with the swirling action, but it doesn't realy.. draw a line straight into the engine.. then draw a line swirling into the engine.. straighten out that line, and it will be more than twice as long.. so it now takes LONGER for air to travel the same distance!!

They are just running out of a market because most engines now a days are fuel injected.. so they thought they'd try and sucker people into using it on them too, even though the theory they orginal were developed for doesn't work on them.

schcott
03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
aight...well thx for the info...glad i didnt buy it...

Details
09-21-2005, 09:49 PM
I have not tried the tornado, but the key from an engineering point of view isnt so much as speeding up the incoming air as it is the swirling affect. Smooth swirling air will allow better atomizing of the air/fuel mixture. This just means the air and fluel mixes better. This will produce more power better mpg's if the tornado does produces smooth swirling air. The second point is that most of the air in your stock set up is not travelling a straight line since it is turbulent air bouncing off the other air particles trying to ram down your intake. The tornado if it does rifle the air well may allow a better flow of air then not using it. Like I said I have not real world tested one so I can not testify whether they work or not!

Toyman321
09-21-2005, 10:41 PM
I have not tried the tornado, but the key from an engineering point of view isnt so much as speeding up the incoming air as it is the swirling affect. Smooth swirling air will allow better atomizing of the air/fuel mixture. This just means the air and fluel mixes better. This will produce more power better mpg's if the tornado does produces smooth swirling air. The second point is that most of the air in your stock set up is not travelling a straight line since it is turbulent air bouncing off the other air particles trying to ram down your intake. The tornado if it does rifle the air well may allow a better flow of air then not using it. Like I said I have not real world tested one so I can not testify whether they work or not!

The tornado has you installing it before the TB, the TB plate will stop the swirling effect and if that doesnt breaking the air to go down each one of the runners will break up any swirling effect... The fuel doesnt mix with the air until the end of each runner just before the head where there would be no swirling effect.

atwinda
09-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Yeah, the thing about that is, the intake is setup to smooth the air out as it travels.. so any swirling effect is most likely completely gone by the time it gets into the motor.

rojodiablo
09-21-2005, 11:17 PM
No silicone known to man will stick to the airbox material. Yes, it sticks, and dries in place. But it will peel right off if you tug on it.I am still looking for an adhesive that can fix these airboxes. When I find one, I'll post it up!! Don't bother with the caulking. Not really necessary. Look how a deckplate fits, if cut properly, and you'll see that it has a good flange, and if that much water gets in, you are already too deep.

cedarbarn
09-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah I got into a discussion with a very ignorant person the other day. I told him he would never get good or even ok milage with a fullsize truck with 35+in tires. He told me he was just gonna get the Tornado. :rofl:

If he has a full size chevy 1996 or newer tell him he already has the "vortec"!!

tbplus10
09-22-2005, 10:10 AM
The one thing the Tornado does well that the inventor intended was to sepparate a fool from his money. Other than that it's trash, I have bought two Chevy trucks with them on and removed it each time without suffering any power or MPG loss. Might work on other vehicles but useless on Chevy trucks and Tacoma's.

cole45
10-04-2005, 11:55 PM
The tests I have seen show that Tornado robs power and gas mileage. The fins may spin the air, but they also create resistance and turbulence in the air. Trust toyota, they designed a pretty good air intake stock, I'll probably get rid of my K&N filter and put OEM back in.