: Athens?

tderose
04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
There's a VERY small possibility I could end up there if this job I interview for next week works out with Westfield Insurance. I don't know anything about anywhere north of Virginia so any info is appreciated. They don't get what we hear of "lake effect" snow do they. I'm not much for temps below 50 degrees. I hear it's somewhat out in the middle of nowhere? Any wheeling around there? I'll keep everyone updated. I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to leaving NC, but if I get this job, the money and benefits are too good to pass up.

Thanks again!

- Tony

SuperPoser
04-20-2007, 12:25 AM
There's a VERY small possibility I could end up there if this job I interview for next week works out with Westfield Insurance. I don't know anything about anywhere north of Virginia so any info is appreciated. They don't get what we hear of "lake effect" snow do they. I'm not much for temps below 50 degrees. I hear it's somewhat out in the middle of nowhere? Any wheeling around there? I'll keep everyone updated. I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to leaving NC, but if I get this job, the money and benefits are too good to pass up.

Thanks again!

- Tony
HAHA
no worries about lake effect snow unless you live in ashtabula county (or some parts of cleveland ;o)

there are some wheeling areas if you want to drive a little bit...

athens is home to Ohio University Marching 110... (If you like marching band's, you have to see the most exciting band in the land!)

if you drink, all the time, athens is great...
if you don't... it gets boring :rofl:

you will get snow and ice, but, nothing like newyork...

goodluck with your job if you take it ;o)

later
Mike

bradleyem
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
HAHA
no worries about lake effect snow unless you live in ashtabula county (or some parts of cleveland ;o)

there are some wheeling areas if you want to drive a little bit...

athens is home to Ohio University Marching 110... (If you like marching band's, you have to see the most exciting band in the land!)

if you drink, all the time, athens is great...
if you don't... it gets boring :rofl:

you will get snow and ice, but, nothing like newyork...

goodluck with your job if you take it ;o)

later
Mike

X2, Athens is all about drinking and partying. A small college town with lots of hot young college girls :D . Halloween at OU in Athens is a nationally known event, and things tend to get WAY out of hand.....lol

Like Mike said, you'll get some snow and ice, but no lake effect. The temperatures can get pretty cold sometimes though and expect some rain.

As far as 'wheeling goes, it's a pretty woodsy, hilly area so I'm sure you could find places to 'wheel if you look. There are also some private ORV parks within reasonable driving distance. Mostly tight trails and mud here in central Ohio.

ohio03trdtaco
04-20-2007, 07:46 AM
I went to school around Athens. Wasn't a bad town well besides the fact it was a PITA to find a parking spot for a full sized ford. As for snow not bad when considering I come from northern Ohio. Oh yeah it gets warmer sooner down there as well.

tderose
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Cool guys! Thanks for the replies. My interview is tomorrow 4/23/07 at 1:30pm. Wish me luck! I really hope it comes through for me and I can join the Ohio board! I see you guys are pretty active, and I hear alot of people talk about Wellsville. Oh yeah, I like to drink! I'm guessing this town is pretty much buildt around the college? Greenville, NC is like being buildt around East Carolina University.

I'm also big into NASCAR (of course being from NC!), fishing (I have a 17 foot bass boat), and weightlifting (worked out a few times with some guys from Westside Barbell in Columbus several years back) That's one awesome hardcore gym if you like that kind of stuff. Ohio doesn't look like that big of a state either. I've also heard about a place up in Lake Erie called Put-in-Bay??? Ring a bell to anybody? I'm guessing Athen is 3 hours from Put-in-bay?

Later,

Tony

ohio03trdtaco
04-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Cool guys! Thanks for the replies. My interview is tomorrow 4/23/07 at 1:30pm. Wish me luck! I really hope it comes through for me and I can join the Ohio board! I see you guys are pretty active, and I hear alot of people talk about Wellsville. Oh yeah, I like to drink! I'm guessing this town is pretty much buildt around the college? Greenville, NC is like being buildt around East Carolina University.

I'm also big into NASCAR (of course being from NC!), fishing (I have a 17 foot bass boat), and weightlifting (worked out a few times with some guys from Westside Barbell in Columbus several years back) That's one awesome hardcore gym if you like that kind of stuff. Ohio doesn't look like that big of a state either. I've also heard about a place up in Lake Erie called Put-in-Bay??? Ring a bell to anybody? I'm guessing Athen is 3 hours from Put-in-bay?

Later,

Tony

Ah put-in-bay.:D What can I say if you want to have fun it is a party island. I had my 21 birthday there and from what I can remember it was fun, besides the empty pockets.

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 08:58 AM
never been to putinbay, but it is susposed to be fun as eric says ;o)
probably 4 to 4.5 hours from athens...

tderose
04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, the interview is over and it went very well! They said they would pass my information along to the hiring manager, and they would get back to me if they were interested further. The territory I would be handling would be Washington, Athens, and Vinton Counties in Ohio along with a few counties in West Virginia around Parkersburg. What are property values like in southeast Ohio? Would 45k be a good salary for a single man with no dependents and a paid off Tacoma in that part of the state? Where I'm from in eastern NC, 45k a year would buy the best house on the block! I live east of I-95 and the coast. Needless to say, I'm a minority here! Being a southerner, I gotta know the demographic in southeast Ohio! Would the stars and bars be accepted, or would my truck be destroyed by haters? +I'll keep everyone up to date with the process and let you guys know if I'm going to be a Buckeye soon. Thanks again!

- Tony

SuperPoser
04-23-2007, 02:33 PM
goodluck dude

$45k/ year can get a decent house...
depends on how much you put down, and how long you are signing your life away :rofl:

fyi... athens is Bobcat country, not suckeye... :rofl:
110 rules!

ohio03trdtaco
04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Prices for housing will be higher near Athens but go down the farther out you go.

tderose
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I got a call today saying I wasn't selected for the job. I'm pretty bummed out since it would have been a great step up in the right direction with roughly a 10k pay increase. I just wanted to give you guys an update. However, when I lived in Columbus for that one year I weight trained up there, I developed a lot of great friendships, and networked myself to the point that I have some pretty good connections up there in Buckeye land.

Later,

Tony

SuperPoser
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
sorry dude
are you looking to move up here specifically, or just looking for a higher paying job anywhere?

tderose
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
sorry dude
are you looking to move up here specifically, or just looking for a higher paying job anywhere?

I'm looking to move to southeastern Ohio or the Columbus area. I grew up here in NC, and have lived all of my life down here except one when I lived in Columbus doing some serious weight training at West Side Barbell with JM Blakely, but that was a handful of years ago. Besides the winters, I really like Columbus and want to move up there in the worst way. I was up there for the President's Day Blizzard in 2003. 17 inches of snow in Columbus, and more in the outlying areas. So yes, I have seen snow before!! Yeah, I like "Licking" County!!! How in the world did that county get it's name??? HAHAHA! So, to answer your question, I would like to move to Columbus specifically. Thank you very much for your concern.

- Tony

SuperPoser
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
any specific jobs you're looking for?
I'm a bit east of columbus, but I can keep my eye out...
I'm sure others would too...

goodluck with your search ;o)
Mike

bradleyem
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I grew up in NY, and I really like Columbus. Good job market, reasonable cost of living, pretty good atmosphere. I don't care for NFL, but I love college football, so moving from a place where the best college ball was Syracuse to a Big 10 conference team was like night and day. Good luck on the search. What field do you work in?

tderose
04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I really can't put a finger on what draws me up there other than old friends and a good nightlife atmosphere. For the most part, it's a pretty clean white collar city too. For that entire year, I never ran into anyone that wasn't nice either. I have nothing but good things to say about Columbus and some of the other parts of Ohio I've been to in the southeastern part of the state from Athens to Lancaster along Rt. 33.

I am a licensed property and Casualty Claims Rep. for a non-standard insurer here in NC right now. I have five years experience and a B.S. degree in Marketing with a minor in Sociology. I've actually been trying to find something up in Ohio for quite some time now, and thought this last time was going to be it, but we all know how that turned out. I'd be interested in anything from insurance to marketing/sales positions. Any helps or potential leads would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again for yalls replies and concern.

Later,

- Tony