: Tires for CO trails/Moab (other than MTR's)

RedRunnertc
04-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I think I still have quite a bit of life in my tires, but they are a pretty mild A/T and when they wear out, I'm looking for something more aggressive. I want to stay with a tall/skinny for now as I want to minimize/eliminate any need for lift. MTR's are not available in any of these sizes. I'm currently considering the 255/85-16 Trxus M/T as I have heard they are very quiet on the road and have sufficient siping for winter here. Looking for reports for on and offroad performance, wear, noise, etc.

fjcruzer
04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires :D

FJGrandJunction
04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
As Fjcruzer mentioned about the TrXus tires, talk to Stagecoachco about 'em. He's running them currently...I had regards about going with BFG A/T K/O's 285/70/17's when I changed the shoes on my FJ, but aired down to 20 PSI, I've yet to find something they couldn't tackle....Erm that is besides mud! :)

Jacket
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
yea - most of of the 255/85's I've seen are the BFG MT's, and a couple of Maxxis Bighorns. I've never run either of them, but I've seen great reviews. But as you know, tire opinions can be all over the map....

One of the Expeditions West Tacomas is running Bighorns, and he gave good reviews of them on and off road.

hawkonthewing
04-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires :D
All right, folks, I'm going to really go against the grain here. I think automatically airing down to 10 to 20 psi as soon as you go off road is BOGUS. You heard me. Airing down subjects your tires to the kind of damage you are talking about in addition to sidewall tears. I have actually aired UP LT tires such as BFG MT's to 40 or 50 psi just to avoid this kind of damage. I figure that if I fail to get over a particular problem because of traction, I'll can always air down for that situation. For the rest of the time, why ask for trouble?

As for snow, I have always found MT's to be great in deep snow and slush. It's ice where they do not excel. It's not that they are bad, they just don't excel.

Speaking of tires, what have ya'll heard about Coopers?

Lysmachia
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Interesting take Hawk...

I would say for some of the trails we run in c-rado that is pretty true. However many of the trails I run in Tippy will be shorter but a LOT of obstacles. But Troy runs his at a pretty high PSI because his sidewalls aren't the greatest and he does awesome... so you do have a point!

g34rh34d
04-23-2007, 05:43 AM

I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW

hawkonthewing
04-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW
I agree. About 80% of why I'm a BFG fan is the puncture and tear resistent sidewalls.

Wow, that siping is a thought. I am pretty sure that one of my old sets I had siped and it seemed to help (although I'm a little fuzzy on that). I didn't realize you could just do one side. That's interesting. It might not work for me though because I cross rotate my tires, which may get us into another whole subject.

So what about Coopers? Anybody heard anything?

hawkonthewing
04-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Troy, What are MTR's?

RnCTaco
04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.

RedRunnertc
04-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.

Goodyear MTR's. What it seems EVERYONE is running ...

fjcruzer
04-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Saw lots of MTR's in Moab, and the new Toyo MT looks gnarly and were on two of our rigs there, but it looks like they are all sized BIG...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Toyo-Open-Country.htm

There has been a little discussion about the Cooper STT's in the blue room and they look like a nice compromise: lugged with a little siping.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/22672-any-feedback-cooper-disovererer-stts.html?highlight=cooper+stt

As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/fins%20and%20things/77339236.jpg

hawkonthewing
04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.
I agree. Slickrock or sand are the obvious cases where it makes sense. I have just noticed a tendency for some to automatically air down to very low pressure as soon as they leave the pavement. I think it's good to keep in mind that, in many situations, air pressure is your tires only defense. I am just saying air down if you have to; but if you don't, keep some pressure in your tires unless you really enjoy buying tires.

hawkonthewing
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.
Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.
Center. Oh yeah - you mean outside of the tire - not outside of the truck. Got it. I still had no idea you could do that. Cool!

Remember that white paper on Expeditions West? I think he was saying that traction on an uneven surface such as rock was better if you had more edges. Maybe siping improves traction for crawling as well as on ice.

RedRunnertc
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I would LOVE to try a set of Blizzaks in Moab...

hawkonthewing
04-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I would LOVE to try a set of Blizzaks in Moab...
So there's your answer. Now you can hang up this thread and go buy tires:kewl:

DriftinCO
04-24-2007, 06:02 AM
I found the Cooper Discoverer STTs to be incredible on trails.

RedRunnertc
04-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Well, I don't think they would be that great all-around and in the summer heat, you could probably watch them wear out before your eyes!

hawkonthewing
04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry Troy, I thought you were totally jerkin' my chain about the Blizzacks. Yes, it would be an interesting experiment. And I can imagine a set in Moab about July. It might be like having tires made of chocolate.

hawkonthewing
04-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks Drifter,
I have a local tire dealer I like and since he is a Cooper dealer he can't buy the BFG's at competitive prices. I have liked a couple of sets of Cooper all weather type LT tires I have owned but haven't wheeled with them. I was wondering if I should take a risk on the SST's. I guess I'm mainly concerned about whether the sidewalls are as tough.

RedRunnertc
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
No, I would LOVE to try them, just want it to be on someone else's dime! LOL

I think it would be funny to show up all the guys with big tires when they stick like glue!

On a serious note, I don't know why a tire mfg doesn't make a tire specifically for slickrock with a stupid soft compound, tons of siping, and colored red (or at least something other than black that won't show up on the rock as much)

hawkonthewing
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
On a serious note, I don't know why a tire mfg doesn't make a tire specifically for slickrock with a stupid soft compound, tons of siping, and colored red (or at least something other than black that won't show up on the rock as much)
Yea, I can dig it. Something biodegradable that you could grind up and put in your flower pots. My Sierra Club associates would love that. Whoops, sorry, that was on a serious note.

Seriously though, it is an interesting point. But also kinda' fun:D

Lysmachia
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I think Troy's red tires are an aweome Idea! They would look sexy once I paint my truck Moab Camo....

hawkonthewing
04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I think Troy's red tires are an aweome Idea! They would look sexy once I paint my truck Moab Camo....
No way - fa git a bout it. I wan the red tires fo ma cherry FJ. You and da sex is gunna halvta wait, baebi.

DriftinCO
04-25-2007, 05:36 AM
I've wheeled on the sharp rocks in AR and the trails out here with them. Can't wait to get to Moab with them. I know they are heavy tires, about 55lbs each. But I don't remember what the sidewall ply is. I've only had one flat with them and that was a big as* screw jammed into the center of the tread that was picked up on the road somewhere local.

And with this heavy wet snow we had yesterday, not even a real challenge.

Lysmachia
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
No way - fa git a bout it. I wan the red tires fo ma cherry FJ. You and da sex is gunna halvta wait, baebi.

Oh whateve' baby! I will school you with my MOAB colors!

hawkonthewing
04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
So Lysmolly,
What's up with this storied "truck"? Is it real or just a mirage on the Moab desert? I want proof. I want a link to a thread that reveals all. I want to know the plan. I want a picture:worthless I WANT TO SEE THIS RED TIRED TRUCK WITH MOAB CAMO!

Volcom
04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree. Slickrock or sand are the obvious cases where it makes sense. I have just noticed a tendency for some to automatically air down to very low pressure as soon as they leave the pavement. I think it's good to keep in mind that, in many situations, air pressure is your tires only defense. I am just saying air down if you have to; but if you don't, keep some pressure in your tires unless you really enjoy buying tires.

I personally enjoy the smooth ride when you air down a tire off-road. Driving a leaf sprung truck and high air pressure would not be a fun day :eek:

I serious doubt that airing down a tire for 5-10-15 miles offroad 3 times a month would do anykind of serious damage to a tire. I don't recommend driving down the hwy aired down but off road, I always air down.

Volcom
04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Swamper LTB's all the way :D

Lysmachia
04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
So Lysmolly,
What's up with this storied "truck"? Is it real or just a mirage on the Moab desert? I want proof. I want a link to a thread that reveals all. I want to know the plan. I want a picture:worthless I WANT TO SEE THIS RED TIRED TRUCK WITH MOAB CAMO!

Well I am not sure when I will get the chop and all the painting done but it should be done before Moab! :D (In september that is)

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
What tires come in 255/85-16?

Here's what I came up with - any others?
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT
BFG M/T
Trxus M/T
Maxxis Bighorn

spindleshanks
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I think you got 'em all, Troy. Maybe we could do a group buy, you and me.

I'm not a big fan of BFG's because I believe they're generally overpriced and not designed with as much precision as some other brands, due mainly to their heavily mass-produced nature.
But I found the 255/85-16 BFG MT/Rs at 4Wheel Parts Whores, shipped for $687.96, which is $185 less total than 4Wheel Online. The Dunlops will be cheaper no doubt, but not as aggressive as you're seeking.

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I have the RVXT's now in 33x10.50-15. They are quiet on the road, and great in the snow, but have vulnerable sidewalls.

spindleshanks
05-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Was there a substantially noticable power loss when you bolted on your TSL's?
(those were 34s, right?)

Jacket
05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I was at Big O today getting a tire mounted and saw that they sell the Big O AT tire in 255/85/16. The generic alternative.....:lmao:

Lysmachia
05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
A friend who bought Troy's TSL's said he noticed drop in power in his Jeep... not sure how much tho.

RedRunnertc
05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, I noticed a difference between the 33's and 34's, but who knows how much of that power just went into making sound, cuz they were LOUD. Seriously, I don't know how much power was due to the diameter, how much due to being bias ply, the tread pattern, the weight, etc.

Also, keep in mind that was with a wimpy 3.0 - not a 3.4.

The truck was still very driveable (power wise) though.

fjcruzer
05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I think you got 'em all, Troy. Maybe we could do a group buy, you and me.

I'm not a big fan of BFG's because I believe they're generally overpriced and not designed with as much precision as some other brands, due mainly to their heavily mass-produced nature.
But I found the 255/85-16 BFG MT/Rs at 4Wheel Parts Whores, shipped for $687.96, which is $185 less total than 4Wheel Online. The Dunlops will be cheaper no doubt, but not as aggressive as you're seeking.

I'd have to disagree, at least with the latest production of the BFG MT. I have been very happy with mine and noted that lugs and tire details are better than I have seen before. I also noted that they all balanced very easily, another indicator of good production. Happy shopping :)

devinsixtyseven
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Red, can you fit a Q78? Interco makes a bunch of other smaller, narrow tires...34x10 and whatnot, if you're willing to groove/sipe them, even a pizza cutter Bogger.

BTW the soft compound, tons-of-siping tire you're thinking of is basically any competition compound tire. Once they're burned in, the surface of the tread looks like fishscales. If you wanted something streetable, there's also the AT205, and for street-only, Nokian makes a Vatiiva in 315/75/16 now...

RedRunnertc
06-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't think so - the 34x9.50's were pushing it. I really want a dual use tire, so has to be radial and somewhat noise-friendly!

Lysmachia
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Change of Plans Redrunner.... BAJA Tires! :D

RedRunnertc
06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't know - they're kinda expensive:

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/b5/9d/a0_1.JPG

$391.99/ea :eek:

spindleshanks
06-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd have to disagree, at least with the latest production of the BFG MT. I have been very happy with mine and noted that lugs and tire details are better than I have seen before. I also noted that they all balanced very easily, another indicator of good production. Happy shopping :)

Cruzer, thanks for the input. You're right; difficulty balancing some of the BFG A/Ts has really suggested poor quality to me in the past. The MTRs are certainly produced in lower quantities than the A/Ts, which may explain their better appearance, but I'm glad to hear that the general appearance, fit and finish are excellent. I loved my BFG's T/As on my fox body 5.0. Best investment I ever made on that little pony car. So I know that BFG can make a good tire, but I'll never but the A/Ts again.

Prodigy
06-03-2007, 06:44 PM
I have been a huge BFG AT fan for a long time. However over the last 6 months or so I am learning to hate them when it comes to mud. The sticky crap we have here in Wyoming ends up turning them into innertubes.

I am looking at the trXus on steel wheels. Problem is.. I cannot find 16" steelies taht will fit my truck. freekin oversized calipers!

devinsixtyseven
06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I have been a huge BFG AT fan for a long time. However over the last 6 months or so I am learning to hate them when it comes to mud. The sticky crap we have here in Wyoming ends up turning them into innertubes.

I am looking at the trXus on steel wheels. Problem is.. I cannot find 16" steelies taht will fit my truck. freekin oversized calipers!I was in Bangs Canyon during/after a hailstorm, out past the playground and up the hill after the hiking trail, past the little rock garden. The 35x12.5s quickly became 37x14s, the only way to clean them was get up against a big rock and spin a little to scrape the stuff off. Made climbing the steps on the way out almost impossible, I was afraid I was gonna have to take the easy way out. My next offroad tire is gonna be something a little more aggressive.

I think American Racing or maybe it's ProComp that makes a steelie that should fit, I think it's a 16x8, has the big holes, dunno the backspacing. Friend of mine runs them on his Tundra.

FJGrandJunction
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I was in Bangs Canyon during/after a hailstorm, out past the playground and up the hill after the hiking trail, past the little rock garden. The 35x12.5s quickly became 37x14s, the only way to clean them was get up against a big rock and spin a little to scrape the stuff off. Made climbing the steps on the way out almost impossible, I was afraid I was gonna have to take the easy way out. My next offroad tire is gonna be something a little more aggressive.

I think American Racing or maybe it's ProComp that makes a steelie that should fit, I think it's a 16x8, has the big holes, dunno the backspacing. Friend of mine runs them on his Tundra.

I've run the A/T's over some of the harder lines on the steps with no issues...Never deep mud, just slick though.

Pertaining to the A/T's and sticky mud: They're useless, Grand Junction mud is like calk, it sticks to the treads and the A/T's done shed an ounce of it. I plan on buying Goodyear MT/R's (34") in about three months, however, since the BFG's are my second set of tires on my four month old FJ, I cannot justify it for about six months.

ystanley
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
i work at a tire shop and i have a set of the toyo mts and love they are heavy as hell tho. the make a 265 75 16 in em 7 ply trear 3 ply side wall work really great

fjcruzer
06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
i work at a tire shop and i have a set of the toyo mts and love they are heavy as hell tho. the make a 265 75 16 in em 7 ply trear 3 ply side wall work really great

Couple of folks had those in Moab earlier this year. Pretty gnar.

spindleshanks
06-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I am looking at the trXus on steel wheels. Problem is.. I cannot find 16" steelies taht will fit my truck. freekin oversized calipers!

Wheeler's Offroad claims that their 15" black steelies fit over the calipers on late model tacomas. Check it out at
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm

tacotoy
06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
anyways..... MTR's are great for everything but icy roads..... but on something that you drive any amount of time they get terrible road mileage. if they could make them with a little bit harder compound so they last longer i think that would be great...

spindleshanks
06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm fortunate to put very few highway miles on my truck, so I'm not concerned about wear characteristics and driveability as much as damage resistance and traction.

DriftinCO
06-10-2007, 07:18 AM
The Cooper Discoverer STTs are awesome whether on the trails in AR, CO or in a CO blizzard.

RedRunnertc
06-10-2007, 10:12 AM
How are they wearing for ya? Heard some reports of kinda short life out of them...

ystanley
07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
i have a set of the toyo mts i love em man i am from southern co unfortunatley reloacated to bastard ass utah regardless i love the mts i work at a tire store called les schwab but i love the tires 3 ply sidewall and 7 ply tread narly as hell man

AxleIke
07-12-2007, 08:49 AM
The Bajas get flat spots. Not a road friendly tire either.

BFG ATs are not a mud tire. I agree with the majority there. Other than that they work well.

With regards to air pressure, it is a debate that has been going on for a long time. Traction wise, it is a wash. You get better pressure smaller contact patch with an aired up tire, you get better contact but less pressure with an aired down tire. On my POS, i have torsion bars and leafs. I air down simply to avoid rattling my brains out. I can't stand driving with aired up tires, the truck bounces everywhere.

If you want Troy i can sell you some 16's i have, nice AL units.

thefatkid
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
The Bajas get flat spots. Not a road friendly tire either.

BFG ATs are not a mud tire. I agree with the majority there. Other than that they work well.

With regards to air pressure, it is a debate that has been going on for a long time. Traction wise, it is a wash. You get better pressure smaller contact patch with an aired up tire, you get better contact but less pressure with an aired down tire. On my POS, i have torsion bars and leafs. I air down simply to avoid rattling my brains out. I can't stand driving with aired up tires, the truck bounces everywhere.

If you want Troy i can sell you some 16's i have, nice AL units.

They were going on the SAS Corolla, but atlass he need more bling.

I perfer fat tires 12.50 or so. the floation helps out in the snow(powder) and it makes the truck feel more stable. I like the BFG ATs for all around tires, good wear with proper rotation and alignment. My best experience is with the Nittos, they don't have many skinnies though. Nittos have a long life and like the sand. I don't have any problems cleaning them but I have a light throttle and a fat foot, not that I spend any time in the mud. I run 295/75/16

hawkonthewing
07-12-2007, 05:17 PM
They were going on the SAS Corolla, but atlass he need more bling.

I perfer fat tires 12.50 or so. the floation helps out in the snow(powder) and it makes the truck feel more stable. I like the BFG ATs for all around tires, good wear with proper rotation and alignment. My best experience is with the Nittos, they don't have many skinnies though. Nittos have a long life and like the sand. I don't have any problems cleaning them but I have a light throttle and a fat foot, not that I spend any time in the mud. I run 295/75/16I think you like the looks of a fat tire, which is cool. Because flotation is the last thing you want in snow. The traction is under the snow, not on the top. Bottomless sand is a different program because of it's greater density. Traction on the top of sand isn't great, but it's better than the wheels being buried to the axles. So if you want to maximise preformance on the dunes, wide is right.

Meanwhile, I just ordered 5 BFG MT 255/85/16s with unlimited road hazard on the web for $925. That includes all costs including tax and shipping to my door. What do you think? Did I get screwed?

thefatkid
07-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I think you like the looks of a fat tire, which is cool. Because flotation is the last thing you want in snow. The traction is under the snow, not on the top. Bottomless sand is a different program because of it's greater density. Traction on the top of sand isn't great, but it's better than the wheels being buried to the axles. So if you want to maximise preformance on the dunes, wide is right.

Meanwhile, I just ordered 5 BFG MT 255/85/16s with unlimited road hazard on the web for $925. That includes all costs including tax and shipping to my door. What do you think? Did I get screwed?

Yes digging to the bottom can help in lots of situations ie: street driving, less then 1' of powder. I like to snow bash and drive on 3' to 4' on a regular basis, if you break through past the first layer or so then you are screwed. I was the farthest up out of all the rigs I went with this year even with the ifs snow plow. And for sand you can't go wrong on a wide tire on drive axles (front and rear in my case;) ), flotation is the thing you need the most of in the sand. Narrow tires are the best on the street. Narrow tires are easier to clear. Narrow tires will get better fuel economy.

Anyways with all this off topic, all I was really sayin was the BFGs did good for me and the Nittos are not offerd in a narrow option but are a great tire if you go wider. I'm not sure if you got screwed on price, 5 tires at less then a thousand, 200 a piece, you did good. You will like the all around performance of the BFGs.

spindleshanks
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
My new BFG muds throw less rocks up off the road than my previous ATs...but they're also narrower so less of the rocks hit my body panels. Speaking of which, I'm selling 4 BFG a/ts in 265/75-16...only 9k miles on 'em, great tread depth, $350 for the set

hawkonthewing
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
spindleshanks,
Whats up with you in regard to Holy Cross? I keep waiting for you to sign on. We need a few more old timers. WTF?

TowerRigger
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I am a fan of a proportionate tire. Not too skinny not too fat. I think that's the reason for popular sizes like the 33/12.5. They look and perform just right. Getting round or square tires is just a crap shoot doesn't matter what brand or price.

AxleIke
07-12-2007, 11:03 PM
fat tires kill early IFS. I used to run a 12.5, and i would bend either an idler both braced and unbraced, a tierod, or adjustment sleave every trip out.

Mudbutt is the only guy i've seen keep that crap together with a fat tire. Troy's killed a bunch running skinnies, but then again they were those solid lead 34's. I think he is doing better with the street tires.

Ever since going to a 9.5, i've been trouble free every run so far. You guys with the new stuff got it nice, run 35's and be fine. Gotta baby this early crap or swap it, because otherwise you are "that guy" getting "helped" off the trail.

TowerRigger
07-12-2007, 11:14 PM
This is my first toyota. All my other 4bys have been 1000 dollar solid axle chevy farm junk. 33 12.5 could fit stock. Hick Kids back home never thought twice about 38x15. So when you talk 12.5 as wide I just have to chuckle a little. Nothing against it, just a different world.

spindleshanks
07-13-2007, 08:21 AM
spindleshanks,
Whats up with you in regard to Holy Cross? I keep waiting for you to sign on. We need a few more old timers. WTF?

I'll check out the post again, Hawk...I'm feeling a little pinched financially lately, and kinda stressing about Farmington and cost of gas. Then again, nothing relieves stress like 'wheeling!

hawkonthewing
07-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I'll check out the post again, Hawk...I'm feeling a little pinched financially lately, and kinda stressing about Farmington and cost of gas. Then again, nothing relieves stress like 'wheeling!When you check out the thread, I hope you have some time. It's getting kind of huge. But, at least check out the very first post. At the bottom is a current tally of who's coming and the trails we are planning to do. Hope you can make it. I think we are planning to dump some stress, definatly.

Gerdo
07-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Troy
I love my BFG ATs. You have seen what I can do with them (Bunce School) in the snow. They were great in MOAB in June also. Quiet and good handling on the road. Plenty of traction off road. Even this spring in the Co mud they were great.

P.S. Sipe'em. It makes a huge difference in the snow.

Blowntaco
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Only had them for 1 month so far but have tortured them pretty hard, but lovin these Mickey Thompson Baja Claws

Dailydriver2
07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
FWIW, since the thread is old, I like these Firestone Destination M/Ts. 12-15lbs of air and great traction on the rocks. Don't really know if this would be a good daily driver tire. :rolleyes: No long term highway wear or Moab reports, but the noise is about the same as BFG A/Ts. Limited to "33s though, but you can pop studs in them. :D

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/bpaul_59/Mine/Tars.jpg

Lysmachia
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
FWIW, since the thread is old, I like these Firestone Destination M/Ts. 12-15lbs of air and great traction on the rocks. Don't really know if this would be a good daily driver tire. :rolleyes: No long term highway wear or Moab reports, but the noise is about the same as BFG A/Ts. Limited to "33s though, but you can pop studs in them. :D

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k311/bpaul_59/Mine/Tars.jpg

FWIW.. we like FWIW :D

Dailydriver2
07-19-2007, 12:27 AM
FWIW.. we like FWIW :D

Yeah, that's my best disclaimer clause. :eek:

They do bite the ground well though and have the Bridgestone UNI-T technology as well as the old Firestone tractor tire 23 degree lug angle.:2cents:

devinsixtyseven
07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Somewhere...maybe on this thread...there was some discussion of tire pressure and a statement about intentionally running high pressure for various reasons.

I was in Moab last weekend, here's my 2c after running around for two days in the very low double digits on 315/75/16 BFG ATs with open diffs...13# front, 10# rear.

We ran Lavender Canyon on Saturday, it involves about 40 miles total of bottomless soft wash sand and drift sand, sometimes water, sometimes quicksand. Getting there, the trail crosses a couple very small ledges, numerous ditches, and at the top end it's rocky creek bed driving. Without low tire pressure here, you will bog down in the sand and become mired much easier if you encounter quicksand. Low pressure also allowed me to run about 20mph over smaller rocks, sand etc. as we were racing a storm back up the canyon.

On Sunday, running Gemini Bridges, Four Arch Canyon (to the big uphill out of the wash near the end of the powerline) and the uphill spur to the back of Hellroaring Window, the same low pressure kept the truck hooked up on the hard lines of the ledges leading down to Gemini Bridges, floated the truck through the BTF narrow doubletrack leading down Four Arch, and made everything in the Hellroaring Rim area a real piece of cake...we were able to travel fast and ease up/down ledges rather than crawl the entire way over fist- and head-sized rocks.

I ain't talking about mud, at all...that's totally, completely different. We also came over Resolution Mtn from Shrine at street pressure in the rain, it was a luge run and I will not do it again in the rain (I've done that route from McAllister two or three times dry, no problem).

I would not run high pressure offroad unless I had to, and I would limit myself to very easy trails. Picking a good tire to begin with...something with a good, strong sidewall or even a bias ply if you can justify two sets of tires, DD and trail, negates the worry about damaged sidewalls at low pressure.

Almost forgot...airing down increases your gear ratio too, always helpful.