: buying tires should be fun!

spindleshanks
05-25-2007, 04:03 PM
hey there peoples;
I'm beginning tire research again and am completely disgusted with the results so far. I've been quoted ridiculous prices by the major tire installers plus $12 per tire installation. I'm ferking offended. So what are my options for tires?

--Tire Rack sells the tires cheapest I've found, even with $100 shipping factored in. I may be able to m&b them for a case of beer at a shop I know.
--Big-O and Discount are within pennies of each other, highly overpriced, with $12 per tire install fee and attempting to justify the price with lifetime balancing and flat repairs. Unacceptable
-Sam's Club...haven't pursued this option yet. Worth looking into?
-Local independent tire shop: offered me LIST PRICE AND $12 each installed...fucking ridiculous!

So, have I missed any sources? Where has everybody else been able to beat the racket?

mrbigbri
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Linked in from the main page.... in my area, you can't get much better than Sam's Club or Costco. They do a good install too.

hammerdown
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
first off.....buying tires sucks balls....second, theres no way to really beat the racket.

if you skimp in one place, itll bite ya in another. what tires are you looking for? it sounds like you picked but are trying to find a place to buy.

here's my experience: i bought bfg m/t's at america's tire (discount tire elsewhere) with the no hassle warranty. at time of purchase, it was the lowest price i found anywhere (save for Tire Rack online). I paid $770 for 4 265/75/16's on stock rims. this was in Jan 2003. I have trashed at least 8 tires on trails and road debris since. it takes less than a half hour to drop off my truck, get a new tire, and be on my way. the replacement tire is free, and i pay for a new warranty* plus stem/valve. maybe $34. so in the last 4&half years, ive gotten a lot for a little. and these tires werent trashed cuz they were cheap quality, i wheel hard. to me...the convenience, customer service, and peace of mind is worth the extra couple bucks i may pay over the internet prices.

*im curious why i have to buy an individual warranty for each tire...what if i only buy two warranties? do they know which tires its good for?

RedRunnertc
05-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Discount Tire, plus their roadhazard is unbeatable (and I recommend getting roadhazard for the way we use our trucks!)

If you can get the M&B done for free/cheap though, TireRack is gonna be hard to beat ...

For the balancing, look at using sticky weights instead of rim weights. Rim weights just get torn off 'wheeling!

Lysmachia
05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah next time I get tires I am doing Discount for the warrany As I have already gone through 2 of mine! Oh and sticky weights ROCK!

Jacket
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I bought mine from Big O in Louisville a couple months ago, and the price was within $10 of Tire Rack's for a set of 4 BFG's. I had to pay the extra $50 to mount and balance, but it was the best price I found locally, and the guys in there are pretty cool.

In the past I had always gone to Discount tire, and probably went to Big O this time because it was more convenient. But I'll definitely go back again. They also offer the lifetime replacement warranty for extra $$.

Did you ask for a quote on paper? If you do that, they know that you are shopping around and they should offer you the best price they can. At least that was my experience.

- matt

spindleshanks
05-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks Jacket, I think you're right. What I'm looking for is the best deal they can offer. When I stay in a hotel (at least a couple times a week for work) they always give me their shittiest price first, then I talk them down by 20, 30 bucks depending on the confidence of the employee behind the counter. So I think you're right. If I get the quote in writing it will tend to be more competitive. They tend to give you the most profitable (list) price at first, especially if you call on the phone.
It's all a fucking game man.

DriftinCO
05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I get all my tires at Rex Tire in Colorado Springs. These guys are local, reliable, family owned business that call their regular customers by first name when they walk in the door.

Dailydriver2
05-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Craigslist. You can find like new tires for half price. :saw:

RedRunnertc
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Craigslist. You can find like new tires for half price. :saw:

and sometimes, if you're selling tires, you will find people to buy them who actually bring money to the meet, right? :rofl:

fjcruzer
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.4wheelparts.com/CT13.aspx

http://www.4wd.com/categories.aspx?cid=25

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do?&utm_source=Google+National&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=2007

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categories.aspx?Categoryid=25

No tax for online orders, sometimes also free shipping. Sometimes M&B is free when purchased locally. Warranty usually available either way, but getting it honored from an online company might be fun.

colorado125
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
and sometimes, if you're selling tires, you will find people to buy them who actually bring money to the meet, right? :rofl:

Now that was just wrong. Friggen dicks couldn't come up with $35.:bitchslap

spindleshanks
05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Holy shite, 4wheelonline has "buy 3 get 1 free" on all ProComps!

**edit** But it's all such a scam. "Buy 3 get one" is only $15 bucks cheaper than paying full price for 4 at 4Wheel Hardware. These bastards are so slippery with the numbers!

Dailydriver2
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM

If you steal their wallet. :eek:

fjcruzer
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Holy shite, 4wheelonline has "buy 3 get 1 free" on all ProComps!

**edit** But it's all such a scam. "Buy 3 get one" is only $15 bucks cheaper than paying full price for 4 at 4Wheel Hardware. These bastards are so slippery with the numbers!

Yup, it's all about timing. If you're lucky you can catch one of them on free shipping day :D

spindleshanks
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm still debating on size and brand anyway. just a pipe dream at this point. The problem is that I actually have the money to spend.....
How 'bout I hijack my own thread here:
Lookin for a roughly 33" tire to put on my stock rims, without rubbing. I have 4.75" lift overall, plenty of wheelwell. I'm afraid the 255/85-16 will be too tall (Expeditions West runs 'em on their DC and says it's 1.3" taller than a 285/75-16) and narrow. It's roughly a 33.3x10.5 Being that much taller, I'm concerned with the possible need to regear as well.
But I'm concerned the 285/75-16 will be too wide. It's roughly 33x11.5.
Both of those tire sizes may rub on the frame with the stock wheels' backspacing.
I'm open to suggestions!

Jacket
05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm still debating on size and brand anyway. just a pipe dream at this point. The problem is that I actually have the money to spend.....
Lookin for a roughly 33" tire to put on my stock rims, without rubbing. I have 4.75" lift overall, plenty of wheelwell. I'm afraid the 255/85-16 will be too tall (Expeditions West runs 'em on their DC and says it's 1.3" taller than a 285/75-16) and narrow. It's roughly a 33.3x10.5 Being that much taller, I'm concerned with the possible need to regear as well.
Both of those tire sizes may rub on the frame with the stock wheels' backspacing.
I'm open to suggestions!

Yea - there's a couple of guys on ExPo running 255/85 on the previous gen Tacoma - flyingwil has them as well I think. Seems doable, especially with almost 5" of lift.

I've got 285/75/16 BFG's, which as you say are about 32.8x11.5 - a bit smaller in diameter compared with the 255/85. I'd be happy to help you with a "test fit", but I'm not running stock rims (for the same reasons/concerns about rubbing). My rims are 16x8 with 4.5" of BS, and keep the tire clear of the UCA on my gen truck. I still rub the fender plastic, even though I've trimmed quite a bit. Once I get a new bumper I should be in much better shape.

I've also got a complete 2nd set of used, unmounted BFG KO's in my garage - 285/75/16. I plan on mounting 1 on my spare steelie this week, and Prodigy has dibs on one for a spare, but the other 2 are just sitting unmounted. So if you wanted to try something out in the 285 size, and had a means to get these mounted temporarily for a test fit, let me know and we can try and work something out.

- matt

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
That 1" more width causes FAR more problems than the 1" of diameter, and there's no benefit to it, where the larger diamater keeps your diffs out of the rocks.

Go with the 255/85 on your stock rims, save a ton of money by not having to buy new rims (285 you should really have 8" rims).

Is your Tacoma, white a V6 or 4cyl?

fjcruzer
05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm open to suggestions!

I'm running the 255/85R16's on my FJ with 2.5" lift with a little rub on the body mount. No problem with the gearing, but I'm up to the 4.0 liter V6. I love the narrow tire patch for maneuverability, traction and less gas-guzzling friction. The ride is also much better with the stiffer suspension (OME 886/896) :2cents:

colorado125
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Is your Tacoma, white a V6 or 4cyl?

Troy, Jeremeys truck is a 3.4 V6 TRD 5speed.

My brother had 285's on his Dcab before he got rid of it on stock rims with 2.5-2.75" of lift with coilovers. He rubed his arms some and his frame. I think it may have rubbed a bit of his inner fender on flexing also. Dont recall.

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Troy, Jeremeys truck is a 3.4 V6 TRD 5speed.

That's what I thought - so does that mean 4.30's or 4.10's? Sorry - don't know all the Tacoma specifics.

Regardless, I would think you would be PLENTY fine with a V6 ... bastards actually make power, unlike mine.

Jacket
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
It will also depend on what kind of tire you are looking for. The 255/85 selection is pretty limited, and is mostly the MT variety.

Wider tires do give the benefit of more surface contact with the road. Good if your truck is also a daily driver.

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I would argue the extra inch (at the most) doesn't provide a significant difference. And if it does, it has to be offset by increased rolling resistance and potentially greater risk of hydroplaning.

Seriously, for the relatively light weight of our trucks, unless you're going to lift to the sky so you can go REALLY wide (15.5" or wider), there isn't any benefit in going wider than 10.5". You will gain increased flotation, sure, but IMHO not enough to get you on top - just enough to keep you in the middle where there is NO traction.

pulser
05-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I got tires from cosco in PA last time I got tires. They mounted and balanced the tries for free and They cam with a road hazard warranty for free. I had the them on for less then a month when some one knifed one. They replaced the tire no charge. I got my BFG 23x11.50s for $125 a tire out the door.

RedRunnertc
05-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I bought the tires for the Impala SS at Costco - good deal, plus they fill them with nitrogen!

Only problem with Costco is they won't mount tires bigger than factory onto the truck. At least that one in Cleveland wouldn't...

pulser
05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I bought the tires for the Impala SS at Costco - good deal, plus they fill them with nitrogen!

Only problem with Costco is they won't mount tires bigger than factory onto the truck. At least that one in Cleveland wouldn't...

I had no problem with that in PA.

spindleshanks
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
So 255/85-16, eh?
Gearing shouldn't be an issue with the stock TRD V6 manual truck? (What is that, 4.10s?)
Cruzer, I like the narrow footprint and stance, as you mentioned, and I also like the height (Troy had some pretty tall TSL's on his stock 2nd gen runner) Troy is probably correct: the problems incurred with a taller tire should be less difficult than those incurred with a wider tire; instead of expecting rubbing on the UCA, I'll have to do a serious pinch-weld mod, for example.
The 255s will fit better on my stock rims. And I'll get some serious lift from them.
Tire selection is limited, indeed, for this size, but there is a BFG MT/R that would work just fine.

colorado125
05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
So 255/85-16, eh?
Gearing shouldn't be an issue with the stock TRD V6 manual truck? (What is that, 4.10s?)
Cruzer, I like the narrow footprint and stance, as you mentioned, and I also like the height (Troy had some pretty tall TSL's on his stock 2nd gen runner) Troy is probably correct: the problems incurred with a taller tire should be less difficult than those incurred with a wider tire; instead of expecting rubbing on the UCA, I'll have to do a serious pinch-weld mod, for example.
The 255s will fit better on my stock rims. And I'll get some serious lift from them.
Tire selection is limited, indeed, for this size, but there is a BFG MT/R that would work just fine.

Yup, 4.10's. Except my brother hated the power loss when he went from 31's to 33's on his Dcab, even supercharged.

Jacket
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not by any means "promoting" 285/75 over 255/85 - I think they both perform very well for what we use these trucks for, and for 90% of us, we would really never notice a performance difference. I'd be perfectly happy with a set of 255/85 MT's, but for me I'd like them as a complete second set that I could use just for wheelin.

Just trying to provide info to help spindleshanks make a decision, and offer what I have if he wanted to do a test fit with 285/75.

spindleshanks
05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
I appreciate the help guys (Jacket). It's a tough and expensive decision.

RedRunnertc
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Be sure to talk to Una (OfrdGrl) - she has a hookup for tires ...

Lysmachia
05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Tru dat. It's not like buying a $400 bottle of champagne. Or is it? Hmm... Sexy tires won't exacty get you laid. (Unless your name is Molly or Una or Nic.. LOL)

RedRunnertc
06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
On the way home I saw a courtesy shuttle for Longmont Ford that said "Any tire $5 over our invoice" on the side

spindleshanks
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm set on the 255 MTRs, convinced I've got the room in my wheelwells to handle 'em without rubbing. The tough part is that I'm gonna have to buy a new spare. An expensive one...Seriously though, we could get a deal on shipping ordering together Troy!

RedRunnertc
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm set on the 255 MTRs,

:confused: MTR's don't come in 255/85... or do you mean BFG M/T's?

spindleshanks
06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
yeah, that's right. I use the term MTR loosely, although I shouldn't because it's a trademarked name for a specific model by a specific manufacturer. Anyway, I'm gonna make the tire purchase sometime this summer.

RedRunnertc
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Mine still have a lot of wear left in them, and when they get close I'll probably be looking for some 35's...

fjcruzer
06-03-2007, 01:34 PM
yeah, that's right. I use the term MTR loosely, although I shouldn't because it's a trademarked name for a specific model by a specific manufacturer. Anyway, I'm gonna make the tire purchase sometime this summer.

Let me know when you do and I might tag along for a second spare for myself.

devinsixtyseven
06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
...times eleventy billion for the Big-O in Louisville. I've had the same experience there as a couple of you have had at Discount and similar places. The guys there are very helpful and know their stuff. I've got a good hookup there in the past, I just about need a punch card. Wheeling is hard on alignments.

I doubt their prices will be much different from anywhere else, but I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and go there, than buy online and be up a creek after a hard day on the trail. You can't beat good local service.

spindleshanks
06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
BFG mud terrains, 255 85-16,
Just had 'em shipped for $160 each.
Got a killer deal through work, using the wholesale division of one of my least favorite offroad retail chain whores. Charged $5 shipping.
I even got Wyoming tax on 'em (6% instead of Colorado's 7.5%) while still having 'em shipped to my town in Colorado.

Couldn't be happier.

spindleshanks
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Hell, buying tires IS fun! The new 255s are installed. It was as if my lift were made for these tires. They fill the wheelwells beautifully and the only rub I have is on the frame (rear edge of the front tire) at full lock. There is plenty of wheelwell space left, but unlike before, the wheelwells look full. I couldn't be happier.

fjcruzer
07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
:worthless

spindleshanks
07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I'll get some up soon! solly!

spindleshanks
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Here they are:
Before...
http://a948.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01085/74/99/1085149947_l.jpg
And after...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d925b3127cce87165a3d48bc00000026102BZt3DNszY4
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d925b3127cce87165a1f489e00000026102BZt3DNszY4

Lysmachia
07-04-2007, 01:33 PM
OOOH sexy! Gonna sell your old tires? And why aren't you joining us for the 4th again?

fjcruzer
07-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Bravo, gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Jacket
07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Looks great - bet it drives even better! That new rubber is so clean and black!

TowerRigger
07-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Did they balance well?

spindleshanks
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
No, they balanced shitty. There's way too much wieght on there....I could have balanced them better myself. Anybody got a road-force balancer in their garage?

fjcruzer
07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
That sucks, mine balanced very well and even after beating the hell out of them for 5K they're still fine... do-over!

spindleshanks
07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I would totally prefer to balance my own tires. Tire balancing is really an art form...it requires time, patience, and attention that most techs don't bother with. They're in too much of a hurry. If you can't balance a particular tire, then break the bead and mount the tire in a different spot on that wheel. Start over again. If the tire/wheel is a problematic one, a road force balancer will apply a load, then tell you exactly where on the wheel to place a particular spot on the tire for the best balance.
With true wheels like mine, there should never be as many weights as they put on.

fjcruzer
07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I hear ya, been there before too and it's a bitch to find good folks these days

spindleshanks
07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
It was bad timing on my part though, I picked the first busy week the automotive repair industry on the front range has had in months (4th of July road trippers)

fjcruzer
07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Yup, call me crazy, but now I have 3 sets of wheels for road, snow and MT's so I don't have to deal with that madness.

spindleshanks
07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
You know Cruzer, I'm seriously thinking about keeping my A/Ts on a set of black steelies for use on road trips and such. They're much more streetable and only have 9k miles on 'em.

fjcruzer
07-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Yup, when I came down to help Molly and Troy move and do the Toyo meet thing I swapped to the road tires and dumped all the recovery gear: +4mpg and saved about a 1000 miles of wear on the MT's over the next week.