: squeaky sounds

hanksyota
06-26-2007, 02:23 PM
since the steamboat trip, my car has been making some squeaking noises. it is coming from the drivers side front tire/brake area. it sounds just like a brake pad that is worn, but only happens when i hit a bump, not when i brake. could the little warning scraper mechanism be rubbing the rotor? any ideas would be fantastic. i want to make sure its good to go, im going to MOAB July 12-16, (yes i know, i will die in the heat) and want everything in top condition. TIA.

Henry

RedRunnertc
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Jack up the truck and try and "wobble" the wheel like you are checking for loose lugnuts with your hands at 12:00 and 6:00 (top and bottom). If it wobbles AT ALL, repack and/or replace the wheel bearings.

I don't imagine how it could have happened, but you might have gotten some water/mud in there :rolleyes:

hanksyota
06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
thanks troy. i will do it as soon as i get home. mud? no chance, ok maybe a little. is this a bad situation to be in?

RedRunnertc
06-26-2007, 08:16 PM
You need to get it fixed soon, but it's not a "don't drive the truck until" situation. It's not tough to repack them. The Tacoma front end IS only semifloating, so you need to have a little more sense of urgency about it than those of us with the older full floating fronts (I really don't understand why Toyota would change that way)

Here's a writeup - yours might be a little different
http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=186138

spindleshanks
06-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Dude Henry, the FIRST thing you should do before anything else is buy a $2 can of brake clean and thoroughly spray down the calipers, rotors, and friction material. If it's still squeaking after that, you can do some more diagnosis.

hanksyota
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
thanks guys, i will get the brake cleaner and try that. didnt have a single chance to tonight. i'll be looking at it tomorrow, and let you know. thanks again guys.