: Which brand for a grill guard?

Tacoark
03-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Looking at the Waag, Aries, Westin for my 2003 tacoma. I just would like one for looks only. I don't do any offroading. I'm kinda of leaning towards the Westin, but it is the most expensive. Also the Westin is a one piece. The Waag and Aries are a 3 piece. Seems like a 3 piece would be very weak and do alot of vibrating? Just would like your opinion on which brand to go with and what to look for.

Nelium
03-27-2005, 08:39 AM
If you are going just for looks, i would find the cheapest thing possible on ebay. Also, I have had 2 brush guards that were 3 piece. They don't vibrate any more than a one piece and is plenty sturdy (especially if you dont off-road)

shovelracer
03-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Go with a one piece. They are sturdier. The 3 pieces are cheesy in the way the top bar mounts. I have a manik. It didn't last 4 years with the east weather, but they have a 5 yr warranty. So I got a new one on them. They rust from the inside. I have heard that if you drill little holes in the bottom of the tubes that the water will drain out. I felt that the problem was a crappy powder coating job. The new one isn't any better, but if I get another 4 years, I guess it'll be OK. They add about 50lbs also.

KSdblcab
03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Like Nelium said, go with the cheapest you can find, because you will probably have to repaint in a year or so. I got a GoRhino four years ago (3 piece) for my '01, and it doesn't vibrate. I can stand on the brush guard that wraps around the headlights, but it's only ever taken an impact from a small bird at 60mph with no damage. I don't think it could handle much more than that, and definitely not worth the price I paid (young, eager, and uninformed)! Too bad you want a new one, I'd sell mine for $100, but shipping would suck! Good luck

Tacoark
03-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't have to have new one. What kind of grill guard do you have? Style, color, any rust, how old, any pics? The only thing I require my grill guard to have is somewhere to mount auxiliary lights in the middle. As far as ebay goes there is not alot grill guards to chose from on the tacoma. So far the Westin Sportsman 1 piece grill is my favorite. The black one. $499.95 plus $20 shipping at anythingauto. Auxiliary light mounts, welded 1-1/4 hood guard, cross bar, upright with rubber extrusions, no drilling required, 5 year warranty.

kamaaina1
03-28-2005, 06:42 AM
I got mine off ebay! for $269 Shipped. It's manufactured by Hunter. Check link. This says for Tundra, but read down the page, they have guards for all models (Tacoma). :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7963706123&category=33645

stinkycoon
03-28-2005, 08:12 AM
BTW, I used to have a WAAG, and it was one piece.

Oppositeboy
03-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Looking at the Waag, Aries, Westin for my 2003 tacoma. I just would like one for looks only. I don't do any offroading. I'm kinda of leaning towards the Westin, but it is the most expensive. Also the Westin is a one piece. The Waag and Aries are a 3 piece. Seems like a 3 piece would be very weak and do alot of vibrating? Just would like your opinion on which brand to go with and what to look for.

If you are thinking this will add some protection, don't expect much. Most of them will fold up and crunch your grill in an impact. Just an FYI.

Some do look nice and it is a great way to add a couple of extra driving/offroad lights. I had one for a while.

Sam Damage
03-28-2005, 12:24 PM
so if looking for just lights would it be best then to go with something like demello's lightbar ... i really like the way it looks and i understand it mounts to the frame not just the bumper ... would this probably be the best bet for me to add a pair of fogs with out adding too much weight and with a bit of style?

Oppositeboy
03-28-2005, 12:34 PM
so if looking for just lights would it be best then to go with something like demello's lightbar ... i really like the way it looks and i understand it mounts to the frame not just the bumper ... would this probably be the best bet for me to add a pair of fogs with out adding too much weight and with a bit of style?

That would be a decent option, but I have some suggestions if you wanted to use it for fog lamps.

http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/images/light%20bar%20002.jpg

Either have Jason put the light tabs wider and underneath the bar, have him flip it so the wider bar is on the bottom and mount the lights a little wider, or maybe put a bend in it to drop the bottom bar level with the bottom of the front valence, widen the supports to make the license plate visible (blocking it may warrant a citation), and find some other way to mount the lights.

If you don't do much wheeling, or nothing with decent sized rocks or approach angles, you can also look at the Westin light bar. Those seems to work well for fog lamps, but they are a magnet for rocks...

shovelracer
03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Just some info I hit a snowbank/guardrail doing 35 and bent the bottom bar and brackets. Hit a dear or it hit me 25MPH and no damage. I did rip the tow hook out of the crappy mounts while landscaping my yard. Look good, not worth the money. For the 500 you can buy a welder and some steel and learn to build your own.

KSdblcab
03-31-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't have to have new one. What kind of grill guard do you have? Style, color, any rust, how old, any pics? The only thing I require my grill guard to have is somewhere to mount auxiliary lights in the middle. As far as ebay goes there is not alot grill guards to chose from on the tacoma. So far the Westin Sportsman 1 piece grill is my favorite. The black one. $499.95 plus $20 shipping at anythingauto. Auxiliary light mounts, welded 1-1/4 hood guard, cross bar, upright with rubber extrusions, no drilling required, 5 year warranty.

Sorry about the late reply. Mine is the GoRhino 3000 series with step http://www.gorhino.com It's black with some beginning rust in the seams (needs to be sanded and painted or powdercoated). For more ideas, check out performanceproducts.com (http://www.performanceproducts.com) If you are still interested in mine, email me jasonbutell@hotmail.com and I'll send pictures.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a grillguard, but if I were you I'd shop around. They're heavy and don't offer much protection, and I still wouldn't pay $325 for the little westin bull bars or the demello bar.

xcmountain80
04-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Save Save Save and get an ARB brush gaurd race proven and tougher than most on than most on the market. YOu will pay 100-400 for the cheapo guard plus labor , and you could save and pay 500-750 for the arb and not worry about birds @ 60mph.

Aaron

Bucs Fan
04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
I prefer the Go Rhino full grill guard. It is sturdy and looks good. PIAA's mount up on it perfectly.