TTORA Forum banner

91 Lc

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lacruiser 
#1 ·
Did all year Lc's come with dual lockers? I found a pretty good deal i think on one for 4500$ And just trying get a few questions asked.

#2 ·
no. this is what i found out.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39293&highlight=data+plate
Front/rear lockers optional from 93-97, center diff lock standard all years.
FI think Junk is just referring to the VIN sticker (lower part of driver's door)...on the sticker there is a axle code "AT/P" I think it says, followed by a 4 digit code:

K292 = No Lockers
K294 = Lockers

A good way to ask about this without tipping your hand or easily letting them BS you is to ask what the 3 digit number is after the K. Don't tell someone what it should be, just let them read it, so they don't know what is a 'good' number...

Best way obviously to buy a Cruiser is to test drive it, lock the lockers, so you are sure everything works...ofcourse that eliminates remote purchases though, which kinda sucks...

#5 ·
Not available on that early a truck. If you're looking for a lc look for one with the 4.5 engine. Its much more capable of getting out of its own way. Dream 80 series is a 95 (obd 2 compliant but not required so you get the ability to read codes but don't have to pass the tests, has the 1fz engine which is much stronger, airbags), cloth seats (way outlast the leather), no roofrack or running boards (running boards just suck period and the roof rack can lead to eventual rust problems), factory front and rear lockers.
Find one like that and you're a lucky man.
Btw the single most limiting factor on mine, which is running 33's and lifted 3 inches, is the spare tire. That damn thing hangs down too low and gets hung up. Sleeoffroad.com sells bumpers with swing mounts (expensive!!!) and interior mounts. Unfortunately you can't just throw it in the back like a truck!

#6 ·
I'd have to agree that the 4.5L I6 is worth it in the '93 and above. The 3FE does fine for me, even at 200k miles. The only "major" work my 80 has had done is the water pump replaced. Otherwise, all original on 200k miles and gets me wherever I want to go just fine. Lockers would be nice though :(

I throw my spare in the back for wheeling just like a truck and it works flawlessly...the 3rd row seats flip up in these things and they do have cargo tie downs designed for the mass and weight of a spare. Ratchet strap it in the back and you're good to go.

#7 ·
the 95 and up 80's also had a better transmission, including the 2nd gear start button which is awesome off road, because in Low you can just start out in second gear instead of starting in first and being slammed back in the seat when the trans shifts to second. Mine had it and i loved it.

#8 ·
Actually, I like the 93-94 trucks the best. Reason: They have the superior 1FZ-FE engine, and the big A442 transmission. When you think of this trans, think "Beef". They put them in small buses in Japan. The North American market Cruiser got the much smaller A343 trans in 1995, this is the one they share with the 4runner.

IMHO, best year (for a gas truck) is the 94: 1FZ-FE, A442, 134a refrigerant, and lockers!

In my 91 (with a diesel-spec A442) the trans finally started getting a little sticky at about 450,000 miles. Even then the friction materials and hard parts were still excellent, just some of the rubber seals had hardened from age and wouldn't properly seal. Pretty amazing transmissions, actually.

Dana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.