: replacing my clutch

jarboarder1
07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey so I'm going to be replacing a clutch in a 91 preTaco in the next couple days. I have been going through the service manuals and I'm pretty sure I'm capable of doing the work. The hardest part too me looks to be dropping the transmission. After that is out of the way its just working on the clutch.

Does anyone have any tips for me before I go at this?

thanks for any advice

TruckinT
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Don't try to get the tranny out on your own, they're too damn heavy and awkward to control and once they start fallin', not much will stop it before the ground! Have someone give ya a hand with that part at the least.

jarboarder1
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I understand that. I wasn't planning on dropping the tranny alone. Is there one way to drop it down thats better than another? Also the book says I should remove the front diff does anyone know if you have to do that or not?

RedRunnertc
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Which motor/tranny?

jarboarder1
07-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I dont know exactly which tranny it is but it is on the 3.0 V6.

I have been talking to the guys on yotatech and they talked me into renting a tranny jack. anyone know a tool rental place on the front range that rents those out?

AxleIke
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Rent a tranny jack. They are like 20 bucks a day from most tool rental stores.

They make the whole process take a couple hours.

I've done both the manhandle and the jack. I will never do the manhandle again.

RedRunnertc
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I may have a clutch replacement job in my near future ... would be great to see how it's done. I hear the top bolts on the bellhousing are a PITA!

jarboarder1
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM
well I will let you know how it all goes. Im in the process of pulling everything right now. I might do a write up on yotatech' wiki also.

hanksyota
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Jared, if you need a hand, give me a call. always willing to help and learn. have fun buddy. and seriously, call me up.

Volcom
07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Use several long extensions and a wobble for the top bolts on the bell housing.

jarboarder1
07-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Jared, if you need a hand, give me a call. always willing to help and learn. have fun buddy. and seriously, call me up.

Hey henry your welcome to come over and help if you want. I have everything apart right now and am about to put everything back on including the new clutch. I dont know how much I will have left to do by the time you get off work but you can give me a call if you want.

jarboarder1
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I actually didn't have too hard of a time getting the top bell housing bolts off. I got them off with a regular ratchet and no extensions. The only problem I had was with one bolt that comes from the backside that attaches to the starter.
We will see how it goes putting it all back together now. Im guessing thats the trick.

pimptoy
07-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Here is a cheating tip (i have replaced mine twice now and one in my car all by myself)....2-3 ratchet straps can be your best friends. Loop them on your frame and it will allow you to move the tranny in any way you want with out straining yourself.

hanksyota
07-17-2007, 01:39 PM
bump for update? all done jared? how did it go?

jarboarder1
07-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Yea its all done.:D I finished it on the 12th. It went smoothly as well. the trany jack worked great and am so happy I had it. Its working really well now, a lot better than before. The only thing is that the clutch releases really close to the wall but its not a big deal.

thanks for everyone's help along the way

Lysmachia
07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey thanks for the Update! Good to know!

orange crusher
09-03-2007, 12:09 AM
My clutch went out in my 02 tacoma and when I called around toyota north wants a grand to replace it, pep boys wants 1600! (ha what a freaking joke.) I can find the oem online for 275 with all the hardwear. I hear it is a freaking nightmare to replace. Anyone know of a cheaper place to take it to have this done? I can't afford to have my truck down for more than 2 days.

RedRunnertc
09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I will confirm it's a nightmare. Maybe even worth the grand ... I'm going on 2 days now, and haven't even got the damn thing back in yet. (Admittedly, the pilot bearing will probably come out a lot easier on a 5 yr old truck than it does on a 14 yr old truck...)

jarboarder1
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I will confirm it's a nightmare. Maybe even worth the grand ... I'm going on 2 days now, and haven't even got the damn thing back in yet. (Admittedly, the pilot bearing will probably come out a lot easier on a 5 yr old truck than it does on a 14 yr old truck...)

Truthfully the pilot bearing didn't give me too hard of a time and that was on a '91, so16 years. I didn't have the bearing puller either.

What I did was took chunks of wax that I broke off a candle, stuck it through the hole and then took a bolt that I wrapped in tape to fit the hole tightly, and then tapped it in with a hammer. It works like a press, you just have to put wax in a few times and it will pop right out.

people say thats the hardest part but I found getting the damn transmission out the hardest.

jarboarder1
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
My clutch went out in my 02 tacoma and when I called around toyota north wants a grand to replace it, pep boys wants 1600! (ha what a freaking joke.) I can find the oem online for 275 with all the hardwear. I hear it is a freaking nightmare to replace. Anyone know of a cheaper place to take it to have this done? I can't afford to have my truck down for more than 2 days.

hey it is a pita but if you have a full 2 days you can do it. I put a lot of time into it and made sure i had everything ready to go before I started. I finished in a little under two days, and dont have a ton of knowledge on this stuff. It would be wise to have a tranny jack and a resurfaced flywheel before you start, so once you have the tranny out you don't have to be in there for a long time. really the replacement of the clutch part only took me a few hours the rest was all spent on dealing with the tranny. good luck whatever you do. If you do it yourself and have any questions post up or PM me

orange crusher
09-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Still looking into all my choices. But the more I read what you all have to say the more I think I may take it on myself. Thanks for the info and the help.

Wildturkee
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I adaped a slide hamer to the bearning puller, 4-5 good hits and mine came right out....ya, i did it my self w/a 3 ton floor jack..it was a PIA