TTORA Forum banner

Hybrid axles

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  AK98Taco 
#1 · (Edited)
Wheeee, I just got off the phone with a guy out in Utah that is making hybrid 9"/ Volvo portal axles. Prices arent too bad by comparison either. 9" center sections, Volvo gear reduction portals (supposed to be stronger and lighter than Mogs) with Dana 60 king pin outer knuckles setup for high steer and disk brakes. It sounds like the killer combo for the FJ project. Rear steer of course. They are a couple months away but I'm in no big hurry.

Here are some pics. Thanks, Anthony.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~anthony/Dicksportals/

#5 ·
He doesn't have his website up yet so It's not my place to say. However I did stumble on it rambling on the Pirate board looking at a 9"/ mog hybrid axle setup for sale. If I could figure out a way to get a pic up on here I would but it looks like you still have to be a fully fleged friggn web weenie to do so. No matter how much you pay. I can say it looks pretty sweet and beefey as all hell. Big ass square axle tubes, portal outers. Just sick sick sick. I'm all jazzed about finding them. I could be their first rear steer setup too.

#6 ·
That sounds sweet!

Sounds like big money, but it also sounds to be very well worth the expense. If you do get them, be sure to post up, won't you?

If you want to get a picture up you can email it to me and I could have it up in seconds.

#9 ·
There's a guy here in PA that makes them also. His shop is called Skunkworks, top notch builder, but since your in Cali, shipping would be a biotch.

#14 ·
Dick Foster said:
I sent them to the address listed in your profile. tpbradyjr at acsalaska dot net. Maybe the attachments made it bouce but I didn't get a bounce back message.
Weird.

I didn't see anything from you. Just normal forum notifications.

If I had gotten them they'd be up.

Hopefully somebody can receive them and get them up.

#19 ·
Somewhere in the range of 40" I guess. Depends on tires rims etc. I'm not going to decide now because the tire market it so dynamic and coming up with new stuff all the time.
I want the hub gearing so I can run a 9" center section and run 2 or 3 somethings in the diff. The stress to the rest of the drivetrain is half of what a normal hub produces. I will have lots of gearing options in the driveline itself. The auto TH350 is good for 2:1, the Toy Box is 2 something:1 and the Atlas will be 3 something:1. That will provide lots of options for the trail yet I should still have some highway speed without pushing the engine to redline. Not that I'm planning to drive the thing to Moab or anything like I do the Taco but it should still be able to get itself back around a highway loop to it's trailer. I don't know, maybe it could make it from home to the Rubicon or Fordyce and back in a pinch but that would be about the outside limit for any highway travel. This is going to be different the opposite of the Taco. The taco is a street machine that can be wheeled while this one will be a wheeling machine that can be street driven.

#20 ·
Dick Foster said:
Somewhere in the range of 40" I guess. Depends on tires rims etc. I'm not going to decide now because the tire market it so dynamic and coming up with new stuff all the time.
I want the hub gearing so I can run a 9" center section and run 2 or 3 somethings in the diff. The stress to the rest of the drivetrain is half of what a normal hub produces. I will have lots of gearing options in the driveline itself. The auto TH350 is good for 2:1, the Toy Box is 2 something:1 and the Atlas will be 3 something:1. That will provide lots of options for the trail yet I should still have some highway speed without pushing the engine to redline. Not that I'm planning to drive the thing to Moab or anything like I do the Taco but it should still be able to get itself back around a highway loop to it's trailer. I don't know, maybe it could make it from home to the Rubicon or Fordyce and back in a pinch but that would be about the outside limit for any highway travel. This is going to be different the opposite of the Taco. The taco is a street machine that can be wheeled while this one will be a wheeling machine that can be street driven.
Wow! That's a much more thoughtful answer than I could have asked for!

Sounds like you know exactly what you're looking to get out of it.

What motor are you running in it? SB Chevy? FI or carb?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.