: CV boot question

abeer
03-29-2005, 07:40 PM
I went wheeling this past weekend. Today when I was out cleaning the truck I noticed I had somehow managed to put a pretty good size gash in the inner cv boot. It was also muddy out on the trail and looks like there is some mud in the grease in the boot. I was wondering if I just replace the boots and clean very well when I do if that is enough, or if I should replace the whole cv. Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.

ssyota
03-29-2005, 07:58 PM
oooppss :eek:

ssyota
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I went wheeling this past weekend. Today when I was out cleaning the truck I noticed I had somehow managed to put a pretty good size gash in the inner cv boot. It was also muddy out on the trail and looks like there is some mud in the grease in the boot. I was wondering if I just replace the boots and clean very well when I do if that is enough, or if I should replace the whole cv. Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.

As long as you don't wait to long you will be safe with just cleaning and changing the boot. When you get the new boot it should come with new grease and two new clamps.The only bad part about changing the Toyota cv boot is that you have to pull them both to fix one.Well unless you are just changing the inner. I think that is right. May be the other way around. I think it was my outter boot. I f...ed it up wheeling too and when I went to change it I found out that I had to pull the inner to get the outter off. So just make sure you get two more clamps and another bag of grease.
O and welcome to the board!!

jpwaters
03-29-2005, 08:22 PM
if it is the inner, you can do just that boot. but, since you have to pull the axle anyway, it would be better to do both. Just pull the axle out, cut bands on inner, remove inner end, take snap ring off of shaft, remove tripod and clean the needle bearings real good. Put new small clamp on, put boot on, install tripod and lube after you slide the end onto the tripod and reboot.

put small amount of grease on retainer that slides in diff to hold in place for easier installation.

Bighead
03-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.
Changing the CV Boots on a ADD Equipped Tacoma (http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Toyota/cvboot/CVBoot_replacement.htm)