: CK night run in rain

Kaistie
07-22-2007, 04:44 PM
So, at the last minute Dave and I decided to run CK after welding his sliders on. While driving out there we noticed this massive storm coming down the CK mountain range. Before we knew it the rain came down and we were trapped between two major rivers half way between the CK trialhead and the start of the dirt road by lake pleasant. I really didn't want to end up on the lte night news so we waited for the rain to stop and the washes to subside. We did end up running CK with no breakage. Lots-o-mud though.
The last video in the "Crown King 7-21-07" folder in my webshots link below shows me driving up stream through the river. I definatley investigated it before heading in. Man that trail has changed so much. It really is stock friendly, and possibly prerunner friendly. There has been so much traffic through there that most of the hard obsticles have been filled in with rocks:mad:

Jay04Taco
07-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Nice, yea, it is quite easy compared to the past, but that changes fast with rain or snow, deffinatly not prerunner freindly then. Nice pics, that looks like a blast.

Kaistie
07-23-2007, 08:38 AM
On a normal day with no rain/snow, I wouldn't be suprised to see a prerunner get through there. There are a few spots that might take a little extra skinny, but doable. It really is a shame from a 4wheeler standpoint that the trail has become so easy. I know the benifits for fire control, but for our purposes it sucks. At least there are some of the hard obsticles still left, but those are getting beat down too with all the rock stackers.

yotachick03
07-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Nice, looks like you at least had some good scenery to enjoy while you were stuck =)

BOVADS
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
were you guys able to run the "alternate routes" in some of the sections or was it too muddy?
was comming back to phx from flag sat evening and could see the rain pounding that mountain range, wish i would have done some night wheeling!!
i got rain, hail and a tiny bit of snow:eek: running some trails north of flag up in the hills

Kaistie
07-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I took all of the optional lines without any probelms. In fact, for some reason it did not rain as much in the mountains and the trail was just wet enough to provide the perfect amount of traction, yet not so wet it was mud. really you couldn't have asked for a better surface to wheel on. It was strange though to see all that rain and water before we got on the trail, then see hardly nothing toward the top. Probably one of the better trip I have been on in a long time, and it was spur of the moment. The rain was awsome, scenary was spectacular, and the desert smeels awsome after a good rain. For some reason that smell takes me back to my childhood, lots of good memories.

Kaistie
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice, looks like you at least had some good scenery to enjoy while you were stuck =)

Yeah, Dave said you were running it on the 4th? You should have no problems.

bluesclues
07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
David wants me to run ck in my truck on the 4th but I have a stock tacoma and am a little worried about it. I am a newbie and dont exactly feel comfortable. He thinks I will make it no problem though...:confused:

crawler#976
07-24-2007, 08:20 AM
David wants me to run ck in my truck on the 4th but I have a stock tacoma and am a little worried about it. I am a newbie and dont exactly feel comfortable. He thinks I will make it no problem though...:confused:

You'll be fine! The LP/CK trail is perfect for getting to know what you and your truck can do. Since the ledge at the Oro Belle has been removed, sliders aren't needed anywhere on the trail if you choose to take some of the bypasses.

Tred
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Wow, that looks like fun! I've gotta start exploring.

mpltclark
07-26-2007, 12:19 PM

The one time that I've run CK was when my truck was still stock with the Rugged Trails. I had no problems and did most of the alternate routes.

Hope to see you there on the 4th!!

bluesclues
07-26-2007, 02:43 PM
The one time that I've run CK was when my truck was still stock with the Rugged Trails. I had no problems and did most of the alternate routes.

Hope to see you there on the 4th!!

ya, i'll be there on the 4th. I've done ck before several times just never in this truck. dave said that the trails have mostly been graded and that i'll be fine so im going to go for it instead of just riding passanger.
i look forward to meeting some of you and being able to place a face with a name.

Kaistie
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
ya, i'll be there on the 4th. I've done ck before several times just never in this truck. dave said that the trails have mostly been graded and that i'll be fine so im going to go for it instead of just riding passanger.
i look forward to meeting some of you and being able to place a face with a name.

I now understand who you are Holly. Sorry for the confusion before. As Dave mentioned it is easy. Just be careful of that one big drop off down the cliff:eek: :eek: Just kidding:D Have fun!

bluesclues
07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I now understand who you are Holly. Sorry for the confusion before. As Dave mentioned it is easy. Just be careful of that one big drop off down the cliff:eek: :eek: Just kidding:D Have fun!

I was hoping you'd figure it out:p

mpltclark
07-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Yeah, the sudden stop at the bottom is really rough on the sheet metal!