: Timing belt change on western slope?

1990dlx
07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Moved to Junction in June, and I need my timing belt changed in my 99, 3.4L. Any options around other than taking it to Delta or Glenwood Springs? (dealers).

Thanks.

RedRunnertc
07-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Um - yeah ... do it yourself! It's not that tough! I'm sure the Western Slope guys will be chiming in with offers to help, too.

1990dlx
07-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I was watching a friend do his a couple years ago, and it looked like a pain in the ass. Then he did something wrong, because it broke down on a roadtrip, and had to be towed to Toyota so they could do it right. I am just nervous to attempt it due to that.

Denver Dave
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Wish I were closer to give you a hand but I'll second the "do it yourself". I'd never done it before, and it took a full Saturday, but in the end I saved a good chunk of cash. With the proper tools you also have the added benefit of knowing it was done with OEM parts and done right. The biggest positive aspect, for me anyways, was learning more about my engine and how to fix it on the trail, God forbid. I also got tell my wife how much $$ I was saving justifying the purchase of NEW TOOLS :)

There are several pictorials of the process posted on the Net but if you do decide to take it to a mechanic hopefully someone knows a good one over in your neck of the woods.

1990dlx
07-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Ironically, the Toyota dealer in Glenwood quoted me even less than Denver. I was prepared to just go to Denver if it meant saving money.

ajax
08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
safari toyota in junction

ajax
08-03-2007, 10:42 PM
450 bucks in gunnison prescion auto

dstrbdone
08-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Safari in Junction is a good place. I know I just moved here but They have done lots of work on both my dad's Tacomas and my little brother's as well. I had a chance to talk with Hugh (Not sure how to spell it) on the phone and he seems really knowledgeable. I live 2 hours out of Junction but if you decide to do it yourself I could help you over the phone if you get stuck. It's not that bad.

-Trent

Lysmachia
08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah wish we could help ya do it. Come to Steamboat next weekend and join Stagecoach CO , Redrunner and Me for a min wrench-a-thon :D