: How to tell you have a true TRD Package?

disastergrafix
03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
I have been trying to figure this out for the last couple of weeks. I bought this truck believing that it has a TRD package a year and a half ago. I recently had a carfax run and it said nothing about having that package. It has the TRD on the rear of the truck. They do not look like stickers, but what do I know. The dealership that I bought it used from put on a REV Tec lift and wheels and so on. I have heard that some dealerships will put together their own package and put on the stickers. I am trying to find out how to tell. Is there a way that I can look on my truck and tell. I haven't gotten much help on this topic in other websites lately. Any help would be great. Oh the specs of the truck are: 1998 Tacoma 3.4L V6, 4x4, SR5.

Bryanccfshr
03-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Do you have a locker? Bilstien shocks (if still original)? Are the front coils progressive(you can see this by looking at the top of the coil if they get closer together near the top they are progressive)?

TRD usually comes with the power package as well(power windows, mirrors & locks).

TRD4WD
03-31-2005, 12:15 AM
I have been trying to figure this out for the last couple of weeks. I bought this truck believing that it has a TRD package a year and a half ago.

In most cases,If it has the E-locker on it,then its the TRD. The locker engage button is to the left of the steering wheel,another way is from the rear of the truck,look under the truck at the rear axle,if the drain plug is on the left,its the TRD e-locker axel. But since you could order the locker as an option with out the TRD package,its hard to tell if it is a tru TRD if the dealer ship put a lift on it already.

themariachi
03-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Do you have a locker? Bilstien shocks (if still original)? Are the front coils progressive(you can see this by looking at the top of the coil if they get closer together near the top they are progressive)?

TRD usually comes with the power package as well(power windows, mirrors & locks).
i thought the trd sticker made it a trd...lol
learn something new everyday. :D

disastergrafix
03-31-2005, 12:19 AM
I do not have a power package. I thought that was only on the limited package. I will have to look closely on the springs. the shocks have been changed to Rancho 5000's. This was done with the REVTEC lift. I do not have a locker. that is what started me on thinking that I do not have a true TRD package. If this is so I have to find my purchasing paperwork to see if TRD is written on there and then I will take them to court for the money I paid and the package I did not recieve. I have not gotten a straight answer on t=what is in the TRD package either. I know there are shocks, springs, I thought special headers and exhaust and locker. I am not too sure though. thanks for the help and keep it comming.

TRD4WD
03-31-2005, 12:22 AM
I do not have a locker.
Then you do not have a TRD. You could get the locker with out the TRD,but not the TRD with out the locker.

disastergrafix
03-31-2005, 12:24 AM
I will check the drain plug, I did not know about that one. I do not have a locker engage button. I tried them out on some other trucks I test drove back then.

Tufemup
03-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Dude, I feel your pain. I thought I had a TRD too for about a year before a learned more about the truck from this forum. All I got was the sticker. Bought used from a Dodge dealer. Truck was 3 months old with 3200 miles on it. Probably the previous owner put the sticker on it cause the Dodge dealer knew nothing about TRD.

jbstrd
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
I do not have a power package. I thought that was only on the limited package. I will have to look closely on the springs. the shocks have been changed to Rancho 5000's. This was done with the REVTEC lift. I do not have a locker. that is what started me on thinking that I do not have a true TRD package. If this is so I have to find my purchasing paperwork to see if TRD is written on there and then I will take them to court for the money I paid and the package I did not recieve. I have not gotten a straight answer on t=what is in the TRD package either. I know there are shocks, springs, I thought special headers and exhaust and locker. I am not too sure though. thanks for the help and keep it comming.

This has been previously posted but the TRD package consists of an E-locker w/ push button activation right next to the steering wheel, progressive rate front coils (the coils get closer together at the top of the coil), Bilstein shocks all around, TRD decals on the rear quarters, fender flares, and larger tires from the factory. It does not have any special engine (it only comes with the 3.4L but with nothing done to it), no special exhaust, no special exhaust manifolds, and will always be a dub cab or extra cab. You can get the headers, exhaust etc in TRD but it is extra from the dealer and is not shipped that way.

jtaco1
03-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Like everyone else said, but mine is a 2.7 engine.

jbstrd
03-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Like everyone else said, but mine is a 2.7 engine.

You got a real TRD w/ a 2.7? If so, I stand corrected.

jtaco1
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
No biggy :D , I was just mentioning it.

disastergrafix
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately this mean that I got screwed. My coils are not closer together at the top and bottom sides, if looking at my rear axle from the tailgatge the drain plug is on the right, and I have no locker button. Dang, oh well at least there is no difference in exhaust and headers and engine. I would really be pissed if there was. Well I guess the future mods when figures out what to get will turn this beast in to BADASS TRD.lol...........Thanks for the clarification.

TiTRD
03-31-2005, 11:23 AM

I have 2.7L TRD as well. I think they were offered in 98 and 99 with the 2.7L

Valkyrie
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Offerd through 2004 actually. :D

kamaaina1
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Go back to the dealer, or contact toyota direct with your VIN number. They can get you a replacement window sticker with all the original & upgrade info about your vehicle. :rolleyes:

hytenor
04-01-2005, 12:27 PM
I have been trying to figure this out for the last couple of weeks. I bought this truck believing that it has a TRD package a year and a half ago. I recently had a carfax run and it said nothing about having that package. It has the TRD on the rear of the truck. They do not look like stickers, but what do I know. The dealership that I bought it used from put on a REV Tec lift and wheels and so on. I have heard that some dealerships will put together their own package and put on the stickers. I am trying to find out how to tell. Is there a way that I can look on my truck and tell. I haven't gotten much help on this topic in other websites lately. Any help would be great. Oh the specs of the truck are: 1998 Tacoma 3.4L V6, 4x4, SR5.

you got screwed by the dealer...you're not the first. you may have legal grounds to go after them since they 'billed' your truck as a TRD.

TmudRroverD
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Someone can correct me if im wrong.. but if i can remember right, the locker was only in the V6 TRD but the 4 cyl TRD do not have lockers for whatever reason... this has def made me wonder though... im going out to look at my drain plug now! Dont get mad about the sticker though... I remember reading a thread from someone whos friends were joking on him for not having TRD so he bought the sticker... and when it was totalled.. the insurance company gave him (i think) $700! But seeing that you paid for the package when you bought it... i would def go back and either try to get the money back for the package, or just see what legal rights you have... Whatever you do though... dont just let it go..
Brian

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Someone can correct me if im wrong.. but if i can remember right, the locker was only in the V6 TRD but the 4 cyl TRD do not have lockers for whatever reason... this has def made me wonder though... im going out to look at my drain plug now! Dont get mad about the sticker though... I remember reading a thread from someone whos friends were joking on him for not having TRD so he bought the sticker... and when it was totalled.. the insurance company gave him (i think) $700! But seeing that you paid for the package when you bought it... i would def go back and either try to get the money back for the package, or just see what legal rights you have... Whatever you do though... dont just let it go..
Brian

All trd's have the locker 4cyl and v6. As said about 6 times in this thread. Unless you have a 95-96 taco like me, then there was no Turd package.

Chris

Murderman
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
you got screwed by the dealer...you're not the first. you may have legal grounds to go after them since they 'billed' your truck as a TRD.

You know that I have a "true" TRD without a locker. ;)

So as not confuse the rest of the folks with my thread polution, it is also a Tundra, and they came with 4-pinion LSD's instead of the E-locker in the '02 vintage.

To the original poster, like everyone has said, the E-locker is the most important part of a TRD, not the sticker. The actuator is a big honking piece of steel on the front drivers side of the rear 3rd member with wires connected to it.....you just can't miss it.

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 06:25 PM
You know that I have a "true" TRD without a locker. ;)

So as not confuse the rest of the folks with my thread polution, it is also a Tundra, and they came with 4-pinion LSD's instead of the E-locker in the '02 vintage.

To the original poster, like everyone has said, the E-locker is the most important part of a TRD, not the sticker. The actuator is a big honking piece of steel on the front drivers side of the rear 3rd member with wires connected to it.....you just can't miss it.

Way to confuse things a little more! Orginal post was about a tacoma and I was referencing a tacoma.

Chris

TripleD
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Don't Non-TRD's have higher gearing? The TRD package also comes with white face gauges and a center console.

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Don't Non-TRD's have higher gearing? The TRD package also comes with white face gauges and a center console.

That would be incorrect.

Chris

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
We need a TRD FAQ!

Chris

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I dont think anyone with a Member number over 500 should be able to post without reading 100 posts first!!!

Chris

05'DCTaco
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
my 05' says its a trd but has no locker button. did they change something between earlier models and 05'? or is there diffrent trd packages? I'm new i just started driving and got an 05' taco for x-mas :confused:

ShowStop
04-06-2005, 07:53 PM
my 05' says its a trd but has no locker button. did they change something between earlier models and 05'? or is there diffrent trd packages? I'm new i just started driving and got an 05' taco for x-mas :confused:
According to Toyota's website, the TRD package on the 2005 models is available in an Off-Road configuration and a Sport configuration. The off-road package includes the rear locker, the sport package includes a rear LSD. Which TRD package did you get?
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/tacoma/options.html

05'DCTaco
04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
TRD Sports Package #2 Should have gotten a TRD Off-Road Package #2 huh? Oh well it didnt cost me anything but im wanting to get a pre 04' taco because the 05's are too big

CMB1998
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM

Yes they changed something. This thread is about a 98

Chris

Murderman
04-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Way to confuse things a little more! Orginal post was about a tacoma and I was referencing a tacoma.

Chris

I try my best. ;)

TmudRroverD
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
All trd's have the locker 4cyl and v6. As said about 6 times in this thread. Unless you have a 95-96 taco like me, then there was no Turd package.

Chris

Maybe its a prerunner thing..? Im pretty sure i have the TRD without a locker. I have the fender flares.. the blistien shocks that say toyota on them,progressive coils,and of course the sticker. but my drain plug is on the right, with no locker.

Valkyrie
04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe its a prerunner thing..? Im pretty sure i have the TRD without a locker. I have the fender flares.. the blistien shocks that say toyota on them,progressive coils,and of course the sticker. but my drain plug is on the right, with no locker.
Email me your VIN and I'll pull the build sheet if I can access it (depends on where your truck was sold).

info@trdparts4u.com (info@trdparts4u.com)

DesertTRD
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
its not just a prerunner thing, i cant believe this topic is so screwed up here is how it works

A true TACOMA trd has the following
E-Locker
TRD Stickers
Front and rear bilstein shocks with progressive front springs

NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS..

If your truck does not have all of the following from the factory it was not a TRD truck, it just means teh dealer added stickers and shocks, they do that some times to confuse people and it works...

Rob
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Sticker or stickers? There should be two badges. I have never seen a TRD Tacoma without the locker. Locker without TRD, yes, but TRD without locker, no. Are you sure your badges are genuine?

Breathegood
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Toyota has two TRD packages for '05. One package has a limited slip and hoodscoop. The other has the rear diff lock and no scoop. I'm sure there are some other differnces, but those are the big ones for '05.

gary briggs
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
every1 seems to be talking about stickers and badges, you can buy that shit at the parts counter for a few dollars at the stealership, like the man said it all about the locker, its basically the only reason i got the trd package, not for a trendy sticker

paulp575
04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
OK folks, I've been watching this thread with great interest.

I am in the process of updating and expanding the TTORA FAQ. I will ensure information about TRD is included when I get to the appropriate places.

I can tell you this much, in all model years when the TRD package was available, the TRD package was an option package - your VIN will not tell you if you have a TRD-equipped truck or not! However, if your provide your VIN to someone who can access the Toyota build database, it will show if your Tacoma was originally equipped with a TRD package or not.

As others have said in this thread, if your truck was NOT originally equipped with the TRD package and you do have TRD stickers, it appears that someone added them.

My notes show that for model years 1998 through 2000, the package code was OF. It included:
Rear differential lock, 31" x 10.5" tires, front and rear alloy wheels with 15" diameter rims and 7.0" width rims, wheel opening moldings, black overfender wheel arch molding, logo/graphics exterior decoration, TRD badging, heavy duty alternate suspension; excludes: [KX] full color keyed package (Xtracab); includes: [TA] tachometer; requires: [FD] 4-Wheel Demand (4X4 V6)

And for model years 2001 through 2004, it remained as option code OF. And this package included:
Logo/graphics exterior decoration, wheel opening moldings, front and rear all terrain tires with all-terrain tread, 265 mm tire width, 70% tire profile, T tire rating and black sidewall, rear differential lock, front and rear alloy wheels with 16" diameter rims and 7.0" width rims, rear console box, TRD badging, heavy duty alternate suspension; requires: [TA] tachometer, [BU] bucket seats (Xtracab and Double Cab), and [PP] power package w/mirrors (4x4 Xtracab)

I currently am researching the information covering model year 2005 and will post it.

Hope this helps!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

01taco4x4
04-10-2005, 11:29 AM
just wanted to add i was told the trd's usually come with a bigger gas tank 18 gallons instead of 16.

SAR_Squid79
04-10-2005, 04:32 PM
When I bought my truck - I thought it was a TRD. It had everything on it: RR Diff Lock, Billsteins, Progressive Springs, fender flares, etc. but it did not have to TRD decals on the rear of the truck. When I went to the Dealership for some routine maintanence I had the guy look at it and said that it WAS a TRD but the original owner must have ordered the truck specifically without the decals. (I subsequently added the TRD decals)

hytenor
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
just wanted to add i was told the trd's usually come with a bigger gas tank 18 gallons instead of 16.

All Tacoma Prerunners and 4x4s have 18.5gal tanks.

paulp575
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
All Tacoma Prerunners and 4x4s have 18.5gal tanks.

Sorry, that is not true!!!!

I have a 1999 Prerunner and it does NOT have a 18.5 gal tank! It has an 18.0 gal tank!

The FAQ will show that for 1st generation Tacoma PreRunners (1998 thru 2000), the gas tanks were 18.0 gallon. For the 2nd generation (2001 thru 2004), they upped the capacity to 18.5 gallons.

For the 3rd generation (starting in 2005), ALL Tacomas receive a 21.0 gallon tank!

Just wanted to set the record straight!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

hytenor
04-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Sorry, that is not true!!!!

I have a 1999 Prerunner and it does NOT have a 18.5 gal tank! It has an 18.0 gal tank!

The FAQ will show that for 1st generation Tacoma PreRunners (1998 thru 2000), the gas tanks were 18.0 gallon. For the 2nd generation (2001 thru 2004), they upped the capacity to 18.5 gallons.

For the 3rd generation (starting in 2005), ALL Tacomas receive a 21.0 gallon tank!

Just wanted to set the record straight!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

where did you fine that info? just currious.
gen 1 Tacomas are '95.5-'97
gen 2 '98-'00
gen 3 '01-'04
gen 4 '05-
unless this info is wrong too, LOL

I just checked my owners manual...18.0, duh..... :rolleyes:

tacoma_trd1999
04-11-2005, 03:57 PM
gen 2 '98-'00
gen 3 '01-'04
gen 4 '05-

I just checked my owners manual...18.0, duh..... :rolleyes:

How is it that when I ran out of gas on my 99 3.4 TRD 4x4 it only took 16.5 gallons to fill it up and everytime I get very low on gas it never reaches over 16.5 to fill it up. Where is my extra 1.5 gallons in my tank? I was always under the impression that the tanks were 16.somthing gallons. And on another note, if you have a 2.7 and the TRD it should be a manual transmission, I am almost positive they didnt offer an auto for the 2.7 TRDs, so thats another way you can make sure its original, aside from all the other obvious signs. No locker, no TRD. I got my locker who cares if it has a sticker or not. Just my opinion on the matter.
Brian

hytenor
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
How is it that when I ran out of gas on my 99 3.4 TRD 4x4 it only took 16.5 gallons to fill it up and everytime I get very low on gas it never reaches over 16.5 to fill it up. Where is my extra 1.5 gallons in my tank? I was always under the impression that the tanks were 16.somthing gallons. And on another note, if you have a 2.7 and the TRD it should be a manual transmission, I am almost positive they didnt offer an auto for the 2.7 TRDs, so thats another way you can make sure its original, aside from all the other obvious signs. No locker, no TRD. I got my locker who cares if it has a sticker or not. Just my opinion on the matter.
Brian

maybe you have a 1.5gal dent in your tank ;) John, out here has a 2gal dent, LOL.

good question though. do you have an owners manual? '99 is the same generation as my '00 and the manual that I have says 4x4 and prerunners are 18 and the minis are 15. I've gotten over 17gals before and not run out.

paulp575
04-12-2005, 09:59 AM
gen 2 '98-'00
gen 3 '01-'04
gen 4 '05-

From Toyota's website and their brochures.

According to Toyota, the following applies:

1st generation: 1995.5 - 2000
2nd generation: 2001 - 2004
3rd generation: Starting in 2005

While Toyota did make changes to the body style in 1998 they were considered mid-generational changes.

Don't worry, you are not the only one who thinks the 2nd generation begain in 1998!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

hytenor
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
From Toyota's website and their brochures.

According to Toyota, the following applies:

1st generation: 1995.5 - 2000
2nd generation: 2001 - 2004
3rd generation: Starting in 2005

While Toyota did make changes to the body style in 1998 they were considered mid-generational changes.

Don't worry, you are not the only one who thinks the 2nd generation begain in 1998!

Paul
TTORA FAQ Administrator

very interesting. Of course we all know that Toyota's site is completely accurate as far as info goes, LOL ...not.

that would, however, cooinside with the generation designations for the 4runners which is probably where/how they came up with that.

I think TTORA should change the designations cuz we know more than they do :p

There were too many changes between the '95.5-97s and the '98-00s NOT to consider it a separate gen, IMO.
speedo cable to electroic
rear spring length
front clip
etc.

grillmasterp
04-12-2005, 12:35 PM
There were too many changes between the '95.5-97s and the '98-00s NOT to consider it a separate gen, IMO.
speedo cable to electroic
rear spring length
front clip
etc.

Actually, I never agreed with the TTORA distinction between '95.5-97s and the '98-00s as separate generations- Heck , I barely considered the 01 as a different generation- Personally I don't see enough significant difference to separate them as different generations.

If anything , I see more difference between the 95.5-97s & '98-00s than the '98-00s & 01-04's. But since they have the same engine, frames, majority sheet metal and share that much interchangeability - 95.5-04's should be 1 generation-

I would parallel the differences between the tacomas similar to the 22R - EFI vs Carb'd - even though those two are pretty damn significant- they did not separate the earlier trucks as different generations
Also - the transition from the 3.0 to 3.4 in the T100- Pretty big diff - but same generation

the generational gaps between the 4Runners are much more significant
even though the 1st gens had both SFA & IFS - pretty big difference!

Rob
04-12-2005, 02:27 PM
gen 2 '98-'00
gen 3 '01-'04
gen 4 '05-

This is what I always thought of the Tacoma generations. It just seems the most logical when identifying differences.

hytenor
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Actually, I never agreed with the TTORA distinction between '95.5-97s and the '98-00s as separate generations- Heck , I barely considered the 01 as a different generation- Personally I don't see enough significant difference to separate them as different generations.

If anything , I see more difference between the 95.5-97s & '98-00s than the '98-00s & 01-04's. But since they have the same engine, frames, majority sheet metal and share that much interchangeability - 95.5-04's should be 1 generation-

I would parallel the differences between the tacomas similar to the 22R - EFI vs Carb'd - even though those two are pretty damn significant- they did not separate the earlier trucks as different generations
Also - the transition from the 3.0 to 3.4 in the T100- Pretty big diff - but same generation

the generational gaps between the 4Runners are much more significant
even though the 1st gens had both SFA & IFS - pretty big difference!

OK, we need to set up a poll now, LOL

generations 1-4
generations 1-3
genertaions 1 & 2

they we should tell Toyota the results so they can correct their info page :D

kapelusprime
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
This is my first Toyota "05 reg cab 4X4 2.7L" but I have restored plenty oh cars in my short past, can't you just get a vin read out from Toyota.
Hell, you call an insuance company and tell them you just got a camaro. You give them the vin for the policy and they say "AAhhhh a Z/28 camaro". then you watch your policy sky rocket!!!! :confused:

hawaiianbro
04-27-2005, 12:25 AM
This is my first Toyota "05 reg cab 4X4 2.7L" but I have restored plenty oh cars in my short past, can't you just get a vin read out from Toyota.
Hell, you call an insuance company and tell them you just got a camaro. You give them the vin for the policy and they say "AAhhhh a Z/28 camaro". then you watch your policy sky rocket!!!! :confused:

Is this your first trip to an online forum? This has absolutley nothing to do with a trd pckge. What are you checking the vin for? Accidents, mileage? Go to www.carfax.com for that stuff!

:rolleyes:

Wgasa84
04-27-2005, 02:16 AM
its not just a prerunner thing, i cant believe this topic is so screwed up here is how it works

but but... who cares what you think? you suck at the internet and your mean! :) hows that frame comming along?

hytenor
04-27-2005, 02:31 AM
but but... who cares what you think? you suck at the internet and your mean! :) hows that frame comming along?

but at least he's suttle ;)

sacdubbya
05-01-2005, 03:06 PM
quick question...

does the Gen 1 Prerunner TRD (mine is a 99) have different gauges? The ones on my truck look pretty stock.

kapelusprime
05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
No, Your the cool one!!!!!You can tell every thing about a car/truck by it's vin thier Mr. senior Member guy! And the referance to calling the insurance company was "if you read carfully" that when I had called them with my info I.E. my vin, in NY we actully insure our trucks! They new every thing about it, I.E. what package it had and all it's details! I was addressing the original question not your vast intellect, oh wise one. You A Funny Guy! :welder:

04RedLobster
05-05-2005, 08:31 PM
wait...don't the 01-04 have rugged terrian...not all-terrian?
unless they are the same thing...i hate my rugged terrian...no treads on them...need new tires soon! lol

GOT COPE?
05-05-2005, 08:51 PM
kapelusprime :can't you just get a vin read out from Toyota.
Hell, you call an insuance company and tell them you just got a camaro. You give them the vin for the policy and they say "AAhhhh a Z/28 camaro". then you watch your policy sky rocket!!!!
I can tell you this much, in all model years when the TRD package was available, the TRD package was an option package - your VIN will not tell you if you have a TRD-equipped truck or not! However, if your provide your VIN to someone who can access the Toyota build database, it will show if your Tacoma was originally equipped with a TRD package or not.

GOT COPE?
05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
No, Your the cool one!!!!!You can tell every thing about a car/truck by it's vin thier Mr. senior Member guy! And the referance to calling the insurance company was "if you read carfully" that when I had called them with my info I.E. my vin, in NY we actully insure our trucks! They new every thing about it, I.E. what package it had and all it's details! I was addressing the original question not your vast intellect, oh wise one. You A Funny Guy! :welder:

Your point wasnt clear, (you meant you'd try to pass as a normal Camaro but the VIN gave away your Z28 status). He didnt understand your post.

blackyoter
05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
i would do somthing about them selling you a trd even though its really not a trd they screwed you and that dumb go do something about that!

andrewmft
05-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, and am ever so glad I found yas :)

I'm a first time owner of a 4x4...Tacoma 04 4x4..supposedly TRD package similar to the original poster...

As a noob to the mechanics of autos/ trucks...how do you tell what type of shocks you have?
I had a suspicion for whatever reason a few weeks ago, and crawled under my truck and noticed that my shocks are all blue...somewhat of a lighter blue with the name of "__NCO Shocks" that clearly don't seem to match up with the Bilstein yellow and blue shocks as was listed on my purchase order.....have I been scammed too?

mrbigbri
05-21-2005, 09:10 AM
have I been scammed too?

Most double-cabs (TRD or not) come with Tokico shocks. If you have the locker and the tire/wheel/flare package, who cares, right?

Brian

andrewmft
05-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Just wanna make sure i'm getting what i paid...err am paying for 8)
unless of course Tokico is better than Bilstein?....yes/ no?

NUKE
06-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Brian

I believe you are correct, the 4 cylinder TRD's did not come with the locker. However, the locker was available as a separate option through 2002 on ALL models EXCEPT 4 cylinders w/ automatic trans.

My truck is a 2002 4 cylinder, 5 spd, SR5 w/ e-locker. Check the attachment, it's my window sticker. :D

Murderman
06-18-2005, 06:29 PM
I believe you are correct, the 4 cylinder TRD's did not come with the locker. However, the locker was available as a separate option through 2002 on ALL models EXCEPT 4 cylinders w/ automatic trans.

My truck is a 2002 4 cylinder, 5 spd, SR5 w/ e-locker. Check the attachment, it's my window sticker. :D

Howdy stranger; how's things going these days?

NUKE
06-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Howdy stranger; how's things going these days?

Lovin' life, livin' large! :D
What's new man???
Just completed (more or less) my SAS about 2 weeks ago. So far I'm very pleased. I've done about 400 miles on the highway so far and at 75 mph it runs straight and true. Haven't had it off road yet, there are some minor things that still need to be done/corrected.

Phong bought my center section (4.30 gears), I understand you and he are working on regearing projects for your rigs.

Do you still have my home e-mail? We can continue this conversation off the board. :)

EnjoyDaRideTRD
10-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I ducktaped a TRD sticker on my side panels. I am now TRD'd

hk'dontoys
10-28-2005, 02:14 PM
sue them and make them pay for the whole truck plus court and lawyers fees. most dealers use carfax, so if in fact a true trd is stated on the car fax then they blantently sold you a mismarked truck. my friend busted a dealer rolling an older fiebirds milage and had proof. showed dealer and they gave him and awsome lifted toyota p/u but he signed a waiver to not sue. he told every person he knew so dealer would maybe lose some profits for a minute.

tsunami982
10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, and am ever so glad I found yas :)

I'm a first time owner of a 4x4...Tacoma 04 4x4..supposedly TRD package similar to the original poster...

As a noob to the mechanics of autos/ trucks...how do you tell what type of shocks you have?
I had a suspicion for whatever reason a few weeks ago, and crawled under my truck and noticed that my shocks are all blue...somewhat of a lighter blue with the name of "__NCO Shocks" that clearly don't seem to match up with the Bilstein yellow and blue shocks as was listed on my purchase order.....have I been scammed too?

i dont know why, but some trd have tokico shocks which are completely light blue... so you might not be screwed. make sure you have the locker... i think thats the most important part. as stated earlier in this thread you can check to see if you have progressive rate springs (the coil spacing is smaller on at the ends on TRD's). if you have the locker, the shocks, and the progressive rate springs (as well as the fender flares but those are obvious) then you most likely have a real TRD.

Jerryrigged
11-01-2005, 11:24 PM
When I bought my first Taco - a 2002 DC 4x4 - it came with the TRD offroad package, BUT NOT THE DECAL. I think they left it off, because mine came with a color-matched SS Shell, all in black... great looking vehicle, but they might have thought that the TRD sticker clashed a bit. Anyway... I went back and BOUGHT the TRD stickers, but I never put them on. What I did was to hang on to the window sticker that clearly showed the TRD Offroad package was included (for when I later had to sell the beloved Taco :mad: ). It was also obvious that it was TRD from the tires, suspension, rear locker, etc.

Long story, but my point is that anyone can buy the TRD Offroad Badging and slap it on anything!

Sort of off subject... my new 2006 is TRD SPORT. Doesn't have the locker, but she sure is PURTY!

Jerryrigged

P.S. The attachment is my old 2002 Taco!

http://jmc02taco.tripod.com/Tacoma%20Pages/Images/Two%20Toys.jpg

Steveco.
11-02-2005, 08:22 PM
my 02 tacoma has tokico shocks. has the e-locker, ect power button, has the flairs. from what i heard is the toyota switched from bilstiens for awhile. but the tokico shocks are a whole lot stiffer than the bilstiens. But what does that matter when you got King Coilovers up front anyway? :)

Jerryrigged
11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
If I remember right from back in the day, the DC had the Tokicos, where the Reg and Extra Cab models had the Bilstiens.

Jerryrigged

Steveco.
11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
your probably right cause mine is a DC.

not2XS
11-02-2005, 09:57 PM
One other thing the TRD package has that no-one has mentioned is a 27mm anti-sway bar - not that many people consider it significant.

I also know of someone with one of the first TRD's, and apparently for the first few months the TRD package was offered, it did not have the locker.

Steveco.
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
ohh yea forgot about that sway-bar. mines all scratched up. the skid plates really don't protect it.

SgtMunger
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
When I bought mine new in 01 the only difference between the TRD Prerunner and the TRD SR5 was the gear ratio. The Prerunner was like 3:86 gears while the SR5 was sportin the lower 4:10 gears (which I opted for)

hytenor
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
When I bought mine new in 01 the only difference between the TRD Prerunner and the TRD SR5 was the gear ratio. The Prerunner was like 3:86 gears while the SR5 was sportin the lower 4:10 gears (which I opted for)

all the TRDs got 4.10 gears.
non-TRD v6s got either 3.91s or 4.10s, usually depending on tranny.

Tweeter
12-14-2005, 03:36 PM

And hytenors came with spinning dubs ;) *bling bling*

sploosh
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I had to pay extra for my spinners! :mad:

hytenor
12-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I had to pay extra for my spinners! :mad:

mine were free ;)

Tweeter
12-14-2005, 04:31 PM
mine were free ;)

LOL you changed your avatar...good stuff...

sploosh
12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
mine were free ;)

So are you a baller or a shot caller?

hytenor
12-15-2005, 12:32 AM
So are you a baller or a shot caller?

I'll let you do a search to find out the story behind those 23s ;)

hytenor
12-15-2005, 12:33 AM
LOL you changed your avatar...good stuff...

you like? :D

taco420
12-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Then you do not have a TRD. You could get the locker with out the TRD,but not the TRD with out the locker.

THATS NOT TRUE. i have the trd package with a limited slip, progressive springs, and bilstiens. not all trd's are the same. the customer could get different options to suit them when purchasing a new truck.

sploosh
12-15-2005, 06:40 AM
I'll let you do a search to find out the story behind those 23s ;)

Wow, I need to get up to speed with the times. I thought that 22's were the pinnacle of all that is bling. Now new information has come to light.
23's......I must have some. Dipped in platinum. With neon valvestem caps.

taco420
12-15-2005, 06:43 AM

I HAVE A 97 trd 2.7

taco420
12-15-2005, 06:53 AM
A true TACOMA trd has the following
E-Locker
TRD Stickers
Front and rear bilstein shocks with progressive front springs

NOPE. THE E-LOCKER IS AN OPTION WHEN ORDERING THE TRD PACKAGE JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS WITH THE TRD PACKAGE. IT DEPENDS SOLELY ON WHAT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OR DEALERSHIP ORDERED. I GOT A 97 2.7 4X4 TRD, LIMITED SLIP, BILSTIENS, PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS,FENDER FLARES, AND THE TRD STICKER....NOT ALL TRD'S ARE THE SAME. THERE IS NO TRUE TRD. IT DEPENDS ON HOW THE TRUCK WAS ORDERED.

taco420
12-15-2005, 07:14 AM
I dont think anyone with a Member number over 500 should be able to post without reading 100 posts first!!!

Chris

I THINK YOUR FULL OF SHIT. ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE SHOULD POST. MY MEMBER # OVER 500 AND I WOULD BET I HAVE WAY MORE EXPERIENCE WITH YOTAS THAN YOU. IVE BEEN AROUND THEM MY WHOLE LIFE. MY POP-S WAS A TOYOTA ASE MASTER TECH FOR 25 YEARS. IVE SEEN ALL SORTS OF YOTAS. IVE OWNED THREE. MY DADS OWNED COUNTLESS INCLUDING A 22R CELICA DRAG CAR AND A 85 PICKUP ON 38'S SO DONT TELL ME I DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST

Rundrave
12-15-2005, 08:52 AM
nope...

My truck is a 2002, 2.7L 4x4 5spd ext cab with TRD package.
ok so I looked on my vin sticker and it says B07A/

according to this website:
http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html
or you can all just look at the fact sheet at the top of this site...

I have an 8/8.5 rear end with a 4.30 gear ratio, and a 2 pinion open rear diff,
the 07 code is 4.30

Some of you ppl drive me crazy. I believe this has already been mentioned several times! THERE IS NO TRUE TRD PACKAGE! The dealers and whoever else had the option to order specific features. So for all you guys said 4bangers dont come with TRD...you were wrong....for all of you who said its only a 4.10....you were wrong... I know there maybe is a consistant package like with the v6, but you will find a few rare ones that dont follow the trend.

TacoDell
12-15-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree... who cares... The locker is the only thing worth any salt in the TuRD package anyhoot... for real world wheelin'...

Valkyrie
12-15-2005, 10:12 AM
THERE IS NO TRUE TRD PACKAGE!
Actually, this is incorrect.

There was indeed a true TRD Offroad Package (Package OF). It was available on 4x4's for 6 cyl. Extracabs and Doublecabs only. It was available on Prerunner 4x2's for 4 or 6 cyl. extracabs and 6 cyl. Doublecabs.

The Differential lock was part of this package.

The Differential lock was also available as a stand-alone option. Some dealers/owners added TRD decals, thus confusing the issue.

Of course, any vehicle could be ordered set up in almost anyway imaginable, but these would be rare exceptions.

The limited slip was not a factory option. Some dealers installed the TRD Eaton LSD unit, but after it was repackaged as a Kazuma (TRD Racing/Off Highway use) part this pretty much stopped. The Kazuma/TRD/Eaton LSD was discontinued in 2004.

Beemer
12-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Actually, this is incorrect.

There was indeed a true TRD Offroad Package (Package OF). It was available on 4x4's for 6 cyl. Extracabs and Doublecabs only. It was available on Prerunner 4x2's for 4 or 6 cyl. extracabs and 6 cyl. Doublecabs.

The Differential lock was part of this package.

The Differential lock was also available as a stand-alone option. Some dealers/owners added TRD decals, thus confusing the issue.

Of course, any vehicle could be ordered set up in almost anyway imaginable, but these would be rare exceptions.

The limited slip was not a factory option. Some dealers installed the TRD Eaton LSD unit, but after it was repackaged as a Kazuma (TRD Racing/Off Highway use) part this pretty much stopped. The Kazuma/TRD/Eaton LSD was discontinued in 2004.

When I was shopping for mine, I had a book of somesort..I'm having a senile moment remembering what it was, the bank my wife worked for used it for financing. It basically broke down all the codes, as to what a SR5 package was, what a TRD package was, etc. And I found out, in 2004, toyota only made so many types of configurations.
I thought like Ford and GM I could order any option I wanted...bzzzzzzzzztttttttttt, wrong, Pick package A or package B. there were some different options..but mostly the dealer I was talking to, said all I could do was pick from the menu, no ala carte and no substitutions. Didn't matter, I got what I wanted and then some, and I'm happy as a pig in slop with my truck.

jeff

Valkyrie
12-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm happy as a pig in slop with my truck.

jeff
LOL!

Yeah, lots of dealers discourage special orders... hell in fact many discourage dealer trades! You are right, there were some funny quirks about what combinations you could/couldn't order....