: Outter CV Joint Disassembly

Jade
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
I cross posted this from the NB....

Will the outter CV joint disassemble, or do they only come apart if damaged?

I have a 97 4x4 with ADD and long travel and wanted to have the CV axle stubs as trail fixes until I get my paws on an entire replacement axle.

devinsixtyseven
07-31-2007, 04:09 PM
I cross posted this from the NB....

Will the outter CV joint disassemble, or do they only come apart if damaged?

I have a 97 4x4 with ADD and long travel and wanted to have the CV axle stubs as trail fixes until I get my paws on an entire replacement axle.If it's the same as the pre 05 Taco generation and 1st gen Tundras (same front end), then they only pop if damaged.

Jade
07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks. Do you know of a nonlethal (to me) way to persuade the joint apart?

devinsixtyseven
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Stand back and use a really big hammer? :p

Sorry, no. Might ask the ORS crew, I asked them a similar question a while back and it escapes me now but they did mention "axle shop". Problem is, I don't remember if or what parts you can reuse after they're separated.

Jade
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks again! I might have to see if I can get a hold of them....probably tomorrow.

RedRunnertc
07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I believe the outer is a "ball and cage" setup like a birf. If you flex it and push the little ring, you can get one of the balls out, and then it should come apart pretty easy.

Jade
07-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I poked at it for a while with a prybar, and flex really doesn't seem to apply....even the cage is pretty substantial. Maybe I'll just bring the whole thing along to Farmington and we'll throw empties at it after trail runs.

RedRunnertc
07-31-2007, 09:56 PM
OK. Play time is over. CV? Meet Sawzall. Sawzall? Meet CV!

thefatkid
07-31-2007, 11:08 PM
The out cv's on the tacos are really tough to get off. Usally you have to send them to CVJ or similar to press the joint off. They usally break the axle in the process. I have never been able to hammer one off yet.

Lysmachia
08-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Troy and I were told that a CV swap was done with a lot of hard pounding and a BFH! If there is room in Kyle or Jeremy's rig we might bring jackstands and a floor jack, you know to make life easier. Wait - I doubt that will help but it would be cool to have that stuff for our colorado crew neh?

Have a gander at Pirate (Toyota section) as well as 4x4wire.com - I bet one of those sites will itemize what to do.

Now I feel lucky I have not had to do this myself.... (I do have a spare CV though that I will bring just in case) That would be Munny worthy huh?

Jade
08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
.....For some reason I'm not getting email notifications....

I talked to Mike at ORS and he said that they've done a couple via brute force, but normally they send them out and have someone else hassle with it. I stashed it in the back of the truck and it will go to Farmington with me. Maybe someone will have a sawzall and we can take turns at cutting the axle...or maybe someone with a welder would be interested. If nothing else, I'll cut it myself after the weekend.

Oooooh....a bandsaw would be perfect.....

Oh well. I'm bringing some extra parts that someone might find interesting.

Tippy has first dibs on the diff armor.
I have some Tacoma tube doors that I know I'll never use.
One standard Tacoma CV axle.
Stock V6 coils and a couple more things.....to help pay for gas....

I'M FREAKING STOKED!!

Lysmachia
08-02-2007, 01:22 AM
I so have first dibs on the diff armor - I needed it BAD after spring creek!