: Rough idle after a mud bog

Squeetor
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
I like mud bogs a little too much. My 93 would get a rough idle for a little while but then would dry out. My 99 is still idleing rough from 2 weeks ago, I have the 3.4 litre V6. I replaced the air filter, PCV valve is still sucking a good amount of air through, there was no mud in the throttle body but I cleaned the heck out of it anyway. Pardon my frustration but what the hell is going on with my truck. There is an idle speed adjuster underneath the throttle body, do I need to replace that? The Idle drops to about 500 RPM while sitting at a light and the whole truck will shake. But it still runs like a champ at high speed. HELP!:mad:

fjcruzer
07-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Did you clear the tailpipe?

Squeetor
08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Clear the tail pipe? As far as I can tell it doesn't have anything in it. No mud got up in it.

fjcruzer
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Hmm, off the top of my head the MAF might be gubered. Perhaps disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and let things reset and see if it makes any diff...

Squeetor
08-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I will try that. It seems like somewhat of a common problem with no resolve. Very odd.:confused:

fjcruzer
08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Could be unrelated, might check the fuel filter too... the list goes on.

TowerRigger
08-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Did you actually injest water?

fjcruzer
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Did you actually injest water?

Ahh, good point, might want to Heet the fuel tank and see if any water ingestion burns off...

Squeetor
08-01-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't beieve I took in any water. The water only came up to door bottom door height and when I checked the air box nothing made it past the sir filter. I did fill up with gas that day at a station I don't normaly use and I think there might be a possibility of bad gas.

fjcruzer
08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmm, burn it off, put in some high octane and perhaps Heet and burn through another tank and hopefully it'll go away.

tacotoy
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
clean your MAF sensor with plastic safe electronic contact cleaner. pull the negative cable and turn the truck on with that disconnected ( clears the whole ECU ) reconnect everything and should run ok for about 200 cycles ( depending on driving about 2 days....) then the ecu will relearn everything and run good from then on

spindleshanks
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Hijack:
Rich, how come you're not coming to NM?

Lysmachia
08-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Diagnosing random shizzy like this is such a PITA isn't it? It took Troy and I like 6 different diagnostic tries to figure out why his truck would die at high rpm's over mountain passes. (We finally deduced thanks to thefatkid and blowntaco - that it was probably a bad coil).

It isn't hard to ingest water into the intake of you are mud bashing - even if it only comes up to your doors...

But yeah The MAF trick that Rich (aka Tacotoy) mentions is a good first start.

Oh and you have done the diff breather mod right? Because if you are mud bashing that much without a diff breather you are destroying your diff oil and eventually trashing your gears.

Oh and I second that Hijack Spindle.... I think Rich and Una have spent all their vaca- time getting married :D We'll miss em though!

spindleshanks
08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
oh right.

And Squeetor, you said no water made it past the air filter. But the stock air filter on a Tacoma has a celullose (paper) media, so water can negatively affect it if it comes in contact at all. Maybe if it's waterlogged, your truck can't breathe? Go to CARQUEST and get a new WIX air filter for starters (unless you're running a K&N, in which case you're not interested in filtering incoming air anyway).

RedRunnertc
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Squeetor - just FYI, Spindleshanks is a WIX/Carquest rep...

Squeetor
08-02-2007, 10:36 AM
:xpimp: Hey Tacotoy MAF has been cleaned but haven't disconnected the neg batt cable and turned the key, Fjcruizer suggested that and i will be trying that tonight.

Diff Breather? Not that I go mud bogging all that much but if the opportunity presents itself:rolleyes: Looks like a little research is in order. Thanks Lysmachia:D

Spindle, I checked the stock air filter that had just been put in and it was dry and clean right after our trip which leads me to believe nothing got through. Then it got replaced with a K&N air filter, so brand new filter right now. Doesn't seem like your a big fan of K&N. WIX/Carquest rep huh?! Shameless plug! :xpimp:

Everyone thank you for your help, Your the best group of guy's and gal's a feller could ever meet...over the internet. I have been keeping both eyes on the upcoming trails and looking forward to meeting you all.:xpimp: :D

Blowntaco
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Just a thought, Has anyone pulled the spark plugs?????? Might be fouled and still holding water. My :2cents:

Squeetor
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep, checked those. I'm a noob but not that much of a noob.:D I have been working on bikes, cars and trucks for 10 years, but every vehicle has their quirks.:rolleyes: This is my first Tacoma. I have a 93 as well but that is a whole differnt monster! This never happened in it so I figured the all wise and knowing family of COTTORA could shed some light and sure enough there are things that I didn't know like trying to reset the system. Electronics...PHHHHTTTTT!!!:neener:

tacotoy
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Hijack:
Rich, how come you're not coming to NM?

wasn't planning on going in the first place.... i dont like the ginormous wheeling adventures really... not quite my style

tacotoy
08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
:xpimp: Hey Tacotoy MAF has been cleaned but haven't disconnected the neg batt cable and turned the key, Fjcruizer suggested that and i will be trying that tonight.

Diff Breather? Not that I go mud bogging all that much but if the opportunity presents itself:rolleyes: Looks like a little research is in order. Thanks Lysmachia:D

Spindle, I checked the stock air filter that had just been put in and it was dry and clean right after our trip which leads me to believe nothing got through. Then it got replaced with a K&N air filter, so brand new filter right now. Doesn't seem like your a big fan of K&N. WIX/Carquest rep huh?! Shameless plug! :xpimp:

Everyone thank you for your help, Your the best group of guy's and gal's a feller could ever meet...over the internet. I have been keeping both eyes on the upcoming trails and looking forward to meeting you all.:xpimp: :D

if the problem comes up after flashing the ecu then try going to autozone and see if they will pull up the realtime diag stuff for you and see what your maf reads and your egt reads.

Squeetor
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
So far the problem has smoothed out, but I haven't sat at idle long enough to really check. Thanks for the idea's tacotoy.:D

tacotoy
08-03-2007, 08:06 PM
thats what im here for. another thing to try and do is take your truck on a long drive on a hot day... get the truck all hot and try to evaporate any mystery water that you might have

Lysmachia
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
LOL yeah get your truck all hot and bothered!

Squeetor
08-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Me get the truck all hot and bothered OR the truck geting me all hot and bothered that is the true question!:D

Update, Cleaned the throttle intake, replaced the PCV valve, replaced the Air filter with a K&N, new plugs NGK, flashed the ecu and still have a problem with the idle dipping down to the 500 rpm mark. Any other ideas? got to admit, the guy I bought this truck from was a maintenance genius! Like not doing a damn thing. Replaced the transmission oil...Black as night and about a half a quart shy. Bosch plugs in it (better suited for German cars) the passenger side closest to the cab plug cylinoid wasn't even bolted in!!! The poor Baby!!! I'll try flashing the ECU again and see what transpires.

tacotoy
08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
if i remember right there is an idle air control valve somewhere in the intake.... could be the problem there.... ive never looked for it though