: Im exhausted...

Avsfreak1234
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
there are all of the threads out there about the 2.7L I4 exhaust manifolds cracking. I was hoping I would luck out and that it wouldnt happen to me. so the other day when I was changing a headlight I took off the heat shield on my manifold just to check and make sure it was ok.

DAMNIT! there was a crack about 4 inches long:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so the money that I had saved for a new rear bumper went away. (those who ran holy cross know why I want that bumper) my belief is that if something breaks, upgrade.

So naturally I went out and found some headers from LC engineering for my replacement. From what I read they wont make my 4banger a muscle car but will give it a little more umph.

that definately wasnt my only reason for paying so much more for headers than a replacement manifold. I mean, if the stock piece is prone to breakage wont a replacement stock piece be too?:confused: so my new pipes should be here by monday or tuesday and I should get them on by wednesday.

If I can figure out how to post em Ill post up pics. :saw:

thefatkid
08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
How many miles did the first manifold go? Are you ok with it if it makes it that far again?

Back in the day when I was a 22re nut, I loved headers. I used the downey brand. The headers were good and didn't seem to leak or crack. I coupled them with a 2.5"(some say torque loss but not my experience) mandrel exhaust with a mild camshaft and it opened the truck up. The little beast gained 8-10mph up the passes.

I guess my point was make sure you complete the package or the headers will give you no gains. I'm not saying to buy cams, just do the whole exhaust. I'm not sold on intakes yet, they don't offer much in performance. Intakes do allow a more direct path for water though.

The 5v sounds mean with the Magnaflow, but it can get anoying. But I'm like Mario Andretti, I like to hear the horsepower(even if it's only 75).

Avsfreak1234
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
thats the plan... I mean doing the whole exhaust eventually. If I can find a good deal on a magnaflow or something similar I want to open up the whole system to 2.5 from the muffler back (2.25"in to a 2.5" out) to keep it easy. but first the lockers!