: cv boot and sway bar link

fjcruzer
08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Once I get the parts (next week sometime...) I am hoping someone can help me walk through pulling the CV to replace the outer boot on an 07 FJC. Still deciding whether to put the sway bar back on. Thx, Eric

RedRunnertc
08-09-2007, 03:33 PM
So, I'm guessing they denied covering it under warranty huh?

TowerRigger
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Eric we need to form a mob AND STORM TOYOTA! Swaybars just don't fail. Oh well can't fight the man.:(

fjcruzer
08-09-2007, 03:39 PM
The tech said he would replace it under warranty, but the service manager and the district manager wouldn't let him. They cited that I was driving off-road (OMG!), that I had TC UCA's that allow for out-of-spec travel and they found a contact point on the link. I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.

So the boot kit is @ $30.00, the sway bar link $90.00 (how special is that??) and they wanted to charge me $400.00+ for labor...

fjcruzer
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Eric we need to form a mob AND STORM TOYOTA! Swaybars just don't fail. Oh well can't fight the man.:(

Yeah, the service tech just stood there shaking his head, saying, "I woulda done it for ya, but..." It sucks that his bosses went out of their way to find a way NOT to cover it while he went out of his way to find a way TO cover it.

Wheelers Unite!

OOOhhhh, and The Man... fawk the little man...:mad:

devinsixtyseven
08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Keep it off...it'll just happen again. The links on my truck were bent pretty bad, you can either mod the linkage using a horizontal bolt or a heim joint if you want to get fancy, or even fab up a simple disconnect. I'm on the fence whether to reinstall mine with a disco or not.

TowerRigger
08-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I really hate to say this because I LOVE trail body damage. But it probably didn't help your cause on this one. Maybe not. But I could just see the head cheese shaking his head at the overall of your truck. He probably exlusively drives a lexus and doesn't like to be bothered with FJ (or Toyota) riffraff. Especially the ones who get their vehicles, dare I say it, dirty.

thefatkid
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
It is not the authority of the service manager to decide what is covered or not. Bring it to Denver and I will have to fix it for you under warranty.

Jacket
08-09-2007, 05:22 PM
The tech said he would replace it under warranty, but the service manager and the district manager wouldn't let him. They cited that I was driving off-road (OMG!), that I had TC UCA's that allow for out-of-spec travel and they found a contact point on the link. I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.

So the boot kit is @ $30.00, the sway bar link $90.00 (how special is that??) and they wanted to charge me $400.00+ for labor...

Damn - that sucks. The off-road argument holds no water for me (I mean the whole FJ marketing machine is about taking the trucks off-road), but I can somewhat understand the TC UCA argument. It is true you've modified the suspension geometry, which could create added stress on the links.

stagecoachco
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Eric, Maybe we could get together and have a FJ wrench-a-thon. My Inchworm Lefty should be delivered by UPS tomorrow. We could fix yours and mod mine.

Tony

RedRunnertc
08-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.

Do it. While the dealership is usually your best bet as they have a more direct interest in your future cash outlays, Toyota IS interested in keeping you as a customer. Use the words "this will affect my future car buying decisions" regularly. Also, be sure to include that you participate on several Toyota based forums.

When I had the 50N recall done on my truck, the dealer said I would have to pay for new tie rods (the whole thing, both ends and the adjuster), pitman arm, and idler arm. Based on reports from Yotatech, and a post of the actual recall from Toyota, I thought that a bit excessive. To make a long story short, I paid all that, immediately contacted Toyota, faxed them the info they requested and eventually got a check for the whole thing. It takes them some time, but in my experience, Toyota does the right thing in the end.

fjcruzer
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Keep it off...it'll just happen again. The links on my truck were bent pretty bad, you can either mod the linkage using a horizontal bolt or a heim joint if you want to get fancy, or even fab up a simple disconnect. I'm on the fence whether to reinstall mine with a disco or not.

Yeah, Bandi in the blue room said he might have some heims that would work, but I'm still undecided. I ordered all the necessary goodies and they should be in GWS on Monday if I need them.

I really hate to say this because I LOVE trail body damage. But it probably didn't help your cause on this one. Maybe not. But I could just see the head cheese shaking his head at the overall of your truck. He probably exlusively drives a lexus and doesn't like to be bothered with FJ (or Toyota) riffraff. Especially the ones who get their vehicles, dare I say it, dirty.

Definitely a double-edged sword... the techs thought it was cool and they should take care of it. The desk jockeys followed protocol to keep the numbers nice and neat.

It is not the authority of the service manager to decide what is covered or not. Bring it to Denver and I will have to fix it for you under warranty.

Right on! Tell me where to go.

Damn - that sucks. The off-road argument holds no water for me (I mean the whole FJ marketing machine is about taking the trucks off-road), but I can somewhat understand the TC UCA argument. It is true you've modified the suspension geometry, which could create added stress on the links.

Yup, drive off-road, but only the way we do it... I'm hoping TC will chime in at some point, b/c I asked them about these possibilities and was assured there wouldn't be any problems...

Eric, Maybe we could get together and have a FJ wrench-a-thon. My Inchworm Lefty should be delivered by UPS tomorrow. We could fix yours and mod mine.

Tony

Now that's just too cool! This weekend is house hunting in Denver time, the 17-20 I'm in San Fran, the 25/26th was perhaps a Holy Cross weekend, but I ain't going until I get the boot back on...

And I hear you Troy, I'll give them a call. Too bad they don't empower their employees to do the right thing instead of making the customer do the leg work.

TowerRigger
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x192/coonclimb/sanfran.jpg
Ah San Fran

Jade
08-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Eric,

Do you want to try to figure out how to get that 35mm socket of mine that you'll need for that axle nut? If you're going to Denver, you'll probably take I-70, right?;) If you don't get things together early in the week, I have Wednesday off with the exception of needing to be home by 6pm.....

march2304
08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Eric you and i should tag team the front range for work and warranty stuff. Ill bet the front range would love to be able to work on our trucks. :welder:

fjcruzer
08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Eric,

Do you want to try to figure out how to get that 35mm socket of mine that you'll need for that axle nut? If you're going to Denver, you'll probably take I-70, right?;) If you don't get things together early in the week, I have Wednesday off with the exception of needing to be home by 6pm.....

Aah, you are so very kind! I'm driving down there Sat/Sun and back again on Sun/Mon, so I'll give you a buzz if it'll be at a reasonable hour!

Hey Eric you and i should tag team the front range for work and warranty stuff. Ill bet the front range would love to be able to work on our trucks. :welder:

Yeah, I've been thinking about another sponsor for Baja: Independent Motors in Boulder. I'm acquaintances with the owner, Bill, and they've been working on my rigs for 20 years.

thefatkid
08-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Right on! Tell me where to go.

PM sent

fjcruzer
08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/san%20fran/100_0177.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/san%20fran/100_0176.jpg

TowerRigger
08-10-2007, 09:25 PM
How did this go from your torn cv boot to the official CoTTORA stip club thread.:D

spindleshanks
08-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Eric;
Since this is a relatively new Total Chaos application, perhaps they have had other problems similar to this, and perhaps they're keeping them quiet to avoid a large scale recall. You should contact them.
Total Chaos is a much smaller organization than Toyota. Perhaps they'll absorb some of the cost if you apply some pressure. You're much more likely to be able to contact the Big Kahuna at TC than anybody at Toyota with the power to help you. Remember, in customer service for any business, if you make enough noise you'll usually get what you want. Good luck homey.
An aside: I've got tools and am totally willing to help out a homey in need.

fjcruzer
08-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Funny you should ask! Here's TC's response to my inquiry:

Eric,

Thank you for your inquiry with Total Chaos Fabrication Inc. Most of the aftermarket shock manufacturers (Donahoe, King, Sway A Way , etc) supply a spacer to drop the sway bar with their coilovers or even a new sway bar ( Sway A Way ). We do not make any kind of sway bar drop as the UCAís do not effect the sway barís performance, it is all effected by the coilover or spacer installed. The shock is the limiting factor for droop wheel travel, when a spacer is used, the suspension will cycle further than it is designed to. This is what caused the sway bar end link to fail. Generally it is the upper Balljoint that suffers from this over-extension, hence the need for a new UCA. As far as Toyota labeling our UCA as an unacceptable modification, we have several Toyota dealerships (Northridge Toyota is the largest) that not only install our UCAís but warranty the trucks that run them. Please feel free to contact us with any other questions or concerns that you may have.

Total Chaos Fabrication Inc

159 North Maple, Unit J

Corona, CA 92880

Ph. 951-737-9682

Fx. 951-737-9006

Thanks for the homey support! Figure something out soon. Eric

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, got the parts ordered and are in at Bighorn in GWS.

$81 sway bar link
$35 boot kit
$35 inner and outer seals

Now if I only had time to pick them up!

I gotta get the CV boot replaced since I've already burned 1000+ miles into it uncovered, so I guess I'm dropping the rig off at Bighorn for the entire next week so they can work on it as time allows.

Jade
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
inner and outer sealsI can't think of what these are. Might they be metal dust seals on either end of the CV axle?

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not certain, but I asked them to give me anything that might get f'ed up so I wouldn't get stuck with it apart and have to replace something in the middle of the fix.

Jade
08-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Good to cover as many bases as you can....so you're going to have Bighorn do the fix?

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't really have a choice. I don't have a day off or place or expertise to do it myself and I'm concerned that if I keep driving it I'll F it up more :(

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Eric can you hold off till a week and a half from now? If stagecoach is cool with it we can all help you fix it in steamboat the weekend of the 23rd/24th. Troy and I are going to steamboat that weekend and we could really do that wrench-a-thon after all. I seriously bet your rig would be fine till then. Plus we have the 35mm socket!

What do you and Tony think?

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about Sat/Sun August 24/25th? If so that might work. The problem I'm running into is potentially having to take that time to house shop, missing your help and then perpetually not getting it done. :confused:

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Well if we plan it can get done. I will call you and Tony tonight. It needs to get done. Both you and Tony!

RedRunnertc
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Clarification: We don't have a 35mm socket for the newer trucks - just the 54mm for the older ones.

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Cliarification.. I left you guys messages about the socket!

stagecoachco
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
That would work for me. I have a decent size flat parking lot at my shop, and a REALLY BIG compressor, and some air tools. After watching a cv replacement at the bottom of Tip Over Challange (Moab) on a newer 4runner, I am positive that we can fix yours Eric. It looked pretty simple. Other than the 35mm socket, we would need a couple big pry bars (the type that look like great big screwdrivers).

stagecoachco
08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
BTW, If anyone needs a place to stay, I have a spare bedroom.

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
No you don't Tony... we do *grin* Se ya in 1.5 weeks. -Mols

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Got yer message Molly, but ran out of cell phone range and I'm pooped. I'll give you a call tomorrow afternoon!

Jade
08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Argh! This is driving me bananas. If we could just co-ordinate, Eric, I could get this done for you in about two hours. We'd have to do it here in Eagle-Vail though. This Sat or Sun could work....

march2304
08-16-2007, 02:02 AM
So is the wrench o thon in steamboat? Im confused.

fjcruzer
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Argh! This is driving me bananas. If we could just co-ordinate, Eric, I could get this done for you in about two hours. We'd have to do it here in Eagle-Vail though. This Sat or Sun could work....

Tell me about it! Unfortunately I have to go to Sacramento for a wedding this weekend (like we have time fo that...) and leave Friday night and get back Sunday night.

So is the wrench o thon in steamboat? Im confused.

Here's the deal for me:

Friday night fly to San Fran
Sunday night fly back to Aspen
Monday morning drive to Denver and look at houses
Tuesday morning drive back to GWS for training
Wed-Fri work

If we happen to find a house and we don't need to look more on the 24/25th, I might be able to go to Steamboat, but Kat isn't thrilled about another weekend without any rest. :eek:

fjcruzer
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Got this fixed at Bighorn Motors. Still would not cover it under warranty, but I'll talk to Toyota Corporate about that. I found a dealer in CA that installs and covers under warranty both the OME lift and TC UCA's, so I'll use that as a precedent.

Very happy with Bighorn though. Only charged me 2 hours labor instead of the 4 Boulder Toyota was going to gouge me for. $325 P&L total.

Sorry I'll miss you guys this weekend at Tony's, but must find a place to live in Denver ASAP, so the house hunting continues...

Jacket
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Yea - they took a long look at your rig, and said "Repeat Business!"

thefatkid
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
They are prolly assuming that the damage occured at the same time as the body damage. Abuse is what they are thinking, partially ture. But not within the realm of an off road vehicle. Burden of proof is on them not you. I'm suprised the DPSM is not covering this for you.

fjcruzer
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Yea - they took a long look at your rig, and said "Repeat Business!"

Probably true, sort of... I've know the guys for almost a decade and they've worked on my last three rigs and used to service a patrol cars too, so got a little love there.

They are prolly assuming that the damage occured at the same time as the body damage. Abuse is what they are thinking, partially ture. But not within the realm of an off road vehicle. Burden of proof is on them not you. I'm suprised the DPSM is not covering this for you.

I agree, but can only argue so much before just needing to get the damn thing fixed, then yell when I have more time.

spindleshanks
08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah, Eric, you really need to get in touch with a Toyota regional DSM. They have all the power.

Jade
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
The other day I was thinking about the CVs in the FJ Crusiers. They're the same front suspension/drivetrain as the 4Runners right? If so, and some of the 4Runners are available with a (4.7L), they ought to be pretty strong hmmm? I realize that the V8 in the 4Runner is rated lower than the V6 in the HP department, but the opposite is the case in the torque department.

thefatkid
08-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually the newer 4runners with 4.7l and VVTi have a higher HP rating of 282hp. 03 and 04 were lower at 240hp

Jade
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Ahh, I knew that some of the later Tundras were rated in the 280s, but figured that they wouldn't rate the 4Runners the same. I've read that some automakers with rate the same engines is different vehicles differently....for whatever reasons....

What you're saying kind of re-enforces the strength that we should be able to expenct from these particular CV axles.

thefatkid
08-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Toyota does that some times, VVTi can be "adjusted" to give a different feel for each givin vehicle. The Tundra feels more "torquey" then the Runner because of this.

4runner 270hp 330tq
Tundra 282hp 325tq

I had to look that up in new car features, not sure why they would give the runner more torque and the tundra more hp. Seems like that is backwards, torque for towing????

edit: the runner is AWD that might have somthing to do with it, they have the same 750 tranny

RedRunnertc
08-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure if they're the same as the 4Runner - the platform is the same as the LandCruiser Prado in other markets, which is available with the 3.0TD, which I would think would be a torquey SOB

stagecoachco
08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Molly, Troy,

I figured I should give you directions to my shop.

Go west on 40 (Lincoln Ave) through town to the stop light near the 7-11. Turn right (Elk River Road). Take the right onto Copper Ridge Circle (at the FedEx building). It is the third or forth right. Go up the hill and look to the right for a sign that says "Blue Mountain Cabinet Comany". It is in front of a tan metal building with red trim. That is my shop. Drive around back and we will be there. I will be starting around 9:00 or so.

Jeremy (Silver FJC) will be coming from Grandby to do some mods and help etc.

The shop number is 970 - eight seven one - six eight seven five.

RedRunnertc
08-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I thought Molly had called you ... we aren't gonna be able to make it up this weekend :(

She is sick, and my dad is coming next week and we have to get the place ready!

stagecoachco
08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry about Molly, hope she feels better soon. No worrys on this end, I think that with Jeremy's help we can get the Inchworm in.

See you guys in Moab in a few weeks!!!!!

Lysmachia
08-24-2007, 11:58 PM
I suck. I totally forgot to post up that we can't make it. My parents are really bummed too. But for the next 6 weeks I am working so much (too much actually) and it is taking its toll.