: Anyone wanna help me out some night this week?

vwfastg60
08-12-2007, 04:27 AM
I need a hand and some info. I need to repack my wheel bearings,replace the CV's up front and replace my U joints. Anyone wanna walk me through it or just hang back and make sure i dont screw it up. I need to know what to get for the axle nut(size socket) and gaskets/seals for the bearings. I haven't done the U joints and had them done when i got the truck so this is a new one for me. I broke the CV and now im going to replace both,I have a 3 prong U joint now so its past time. Im thinking Wed or Thursday. If your up for it let mek now what kind of beer you drink we can order some Pizza and wrench.

Russell

Lysmachia
08-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey Russell,

You know I'll be there but I am no good on IFS stuff :( But let's see if Troy is free - he rocks with dat!

Prodigy
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Where is Marlin when you need him? Eric has some recent experience with IFS!:rofl:

vwfastg60
08-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks, I found a write up but im going to try to find the seals for the hub and maybe just buy new bearing races,I have some movement but id feel better knowing it was all new. Im stuck with the IFS for longer then i wanted so i might as well make it work better.

Molly do you or troy have the axle socket? I have no clue where to find one other then TST tools. I dont really want to spend bank on the socket right now. Plus i bet they have to order it.

RedRunnertc
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
It's a 54mm, but a 2-1/8" works. Yes, I have one - I got mine from Sears.

I'd be happy to help, haven't ever done a ujoint though.

TowerRigger
08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
U joints can be the absolute biggest bitch. Know anybody with a press. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for you guys. You can just hammer them out with a socket. Or at worst use a big socket on one side and a little socket on the other with a big 8" vise. On a guys J-10 jeep that I knew. We took the driveshaft to an old farmer we knew with a gigantic home made press. I can't remeber what the gauge read for pressure(nobody was man enough to get that close). But we were all cowering behind something when the caps finally let go. Loud and violent. Prodigys truck is new enough they probably won't be that siezed.

Prodigy
08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
The trick to getting U-Joints off is HEAT. Get a handheld propane torch hose it down with Tap-EZE and heat it up to about 200 hose it should slip right off. If it doesnt work hose it down again and repeat the process. It isn't hot enough to temper the metal but hot enough to release the crap that builds up in there.

RedRunnertc
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Not Prodigy's truck Kyle - it's Russell's ... and it's older than mine (although less exposure to salt I'm sure)

Prodigy brings up a good point though Russell - start hosing stuff down with PB Blaster now!

TowerRigger
08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Heat and PB are great. Have used them both with good results, but sometimes the only way is the press.
Sorry about the mix up. Got involved in the tech and boched the people end.lol

vwfastg60
08-13-2007, 05:08 AM
ok started hosing it down tonight and will keep going on it. Anyone have a tip for U joints? I heard someone say Napa super ujoints or something. Also is there a good kit for the bearings? Do i need anything for the hubs? Im sure they are dry rotted like crazy!

Just for a back up plan i do know a guy with a press.

RedRunnertc
08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
The guys at AllPhase swear by the NAPA Super Strength ones.

Bearings - I got Timken ones from Autozone. Good bearings for reasonable $$$. Get the whole deal - inner and outer, inner race, and seal. Sometimes they are a bit "resistant" to removal - it's worth the money to not have to worry about keeping it perfect to go back in.

If your rotors are thin or warped, now would be the time to replace them.

Do you have manual locking hubs, ADD plates, or automatic locking hubs?

vwfastg60
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
ok cool i will get that stuff. I have manual asian's on it. mines old remember.

RedRunnertc
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I was hoping you would say manual or ADD plates - never delved into the mysteries of the automatic hubs.

I won't be able to get over there until 5PM or later - if you want to get a head start, get it on jackstands, take the wheels off, remove the 6 nuts where the CV bolts to the stub axle (it is handy to have someone hold the brake while you do this), then the brake calipers, and the cover for the hubs (like 6 short 10mm bolts). Then when I get there, I'll show you how to get the cone washers out and disassemble the rest.

vwfastg60
08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Sweet im finishin up a car i have to get out for tomorrow afternoon. I will run and grab all the parts tomorrow. I can bust out the 17's on the cv fast and drop the driveshaft in the rear and pretty much gut the front if need be. I need to tighten up the front diff and stuff cause i keep finding loose stuff. Ever Red locktite didnt hold it in place.

Lysmachia
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey I have a hand held propane torch. Also I do not work wednesday Russ so I can come earlier and help you take shizzy apart. Wanna plan on meeting at 3:00? Your house or your shop? What tools do we need to bring? We have a lot...

vwfastg60
08-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Hey I have a hand held propane torch. Also I do not work wednesday Russ so I can come earlier and help you take shizzy apart. Wanna plan on meeting at 3:00? Your house or your shop? What tools do we need to bring? We have a lot...

Should be good. Im going to be cleaning up all day from this 3 day paint job to make a show and its not even my car!!!! I have a tortch,mapgas or propane, gas axe if it comes to it. I have about everything but the axle nut socket and any special tools i dont know about. I was a VW guy so im still getting all the bimmer and toyota special tools. I have ringpliers and stuff so unless you guys think of anything just the socket. I have air, impact,jacks,stands...

What kind of beer you guys want? If i get it early i can put it in the beer fridge and that ish gets COLD!!!!

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Blue Moon baby! :D Call me tomorrow and let me know what else I can do!

vwfastg60
08-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Give me a call when you are around. I just got done making a huge mess in the garage of that corrado cause we had to squeeze it in before all this.....its been the longest 3 days of my life. Im taking a nap, pulling the corrado out in the sun and running for parts and stuff. I called around while i was working to find out who has what and i should be able to make a sweep accross town and have everything. If you wanna run with me molly we can do that and get to playin with lexi's fun parts. LOL(sorry paint filters clogged and my lungs are now clear coated)

vwfastg60
08-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Troy and Molly i cant thank you guys enough!!! Troy you my friend are a bad ass!!! I cant believe you can do CV's that fast!

The U joint is seazed in there even heat and a huge clamp,BFH, Puller couldnt move it. Im going to have a buddy press it tomorrow. I think that should do it. Troy let me know when you get in to yours i will be there helping!

RedRunnertc
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Did the CV this morning - 1 hr jack up to jack down...

Yeah, I seem to be getting good at it ...

Lysmachia
08-18-2007, 09:31 PM
LOL Nice Russell. Let us know when you are all set and we'll go break your rig again! Glad we could help :D

Volcom
08-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Did the CV this morning - 1 hr jack up to jack down...

Yeah, I seem to be getting good at it ...

With dual cases coming up, you'll be getting real good at it :D

RedRunnertc
08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
With dual cases coming up, you'll be getting real good at it :D

Twinstick :flipoff1:

TowerRigger
08-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Damn I wish I could be there to help with that crawler install. I really want to get some hands on with that kind of a mod. The more you know. You know.;)

hanksyota
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Twinstick :flipoff1:

i knew you loved two sticks at once. :supergay: :neener:

RedRunnertc
08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Only when I can't get 3 at once! :rofl:

Lysmachia
08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey wait a minute - that's mah line!

spindleshanks
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
And, this thread is officially creeping me out.

Lysmachia
08-22-2007, 11:34 PM
This coming from officially creepy clean guy!