: late photos of family's new addition

Bear
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Well we had this delivered to the driveway weekend before last, But Cub#2 lost her USB cable to hook her camera up to the computer with. Long story short, I bought a card reader for all the kids now, so I finally got the photos uploaded.

BTW, Cub #3 took all these photos herself, no help from Dad what so ever! I think she did pretty good!(these are all raw images, no Color correcting etc...and she is 8 years old)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/P1010282.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/P1010280.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/P1010278.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/P1010276.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/Bear4x4/P1010274.jpg

The FJ is a little rough, but in great shape! All pieces are in my position, including the rear hatch and hood. Just not photographed (hood is actually cut in two pieces) This was the one Rugburn had for sale, I said it needed to stay in Indiana so I decided to make sure it did!

Everything for now is basically bolted on for transport, nothing it solid. Cub #2 and I finally had a chance to formulate a tenitive game plan for this project. We are going to start with removing all body work, go over frame with fine tooth comb and remove any hint of rust (none visiable on the frame currently) paint it with POR15. install a 4" lift on suspension, stay with land cruise front axle, along with centered cruiser rear axle, Amby rear doors, tube fenders for front, body armor all the way around to include custom sliders, as well as the rear quarter panals are going to be opened up all riding on 35" tires. Oh and the details that is important to Cub #2 probably paint it existing red or a darker blue on the verge of being a midnight blue. (I am teaching him slowly, he is learning that appearence isn't the most important aspect, it is just sinking in slow with him:D )

Full_Tilt_Fud
08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
looks clean but I have a few questions.

1. why can I see clear thrue ther rear axle?
2. why the hell is the rr leaf spring twisted at a 45 degree angle.
3. why the lift instead of a spring over / shackle reversal??? Those springs are gonna grab every thing in sight if you leave them under the axle not to mention it will flex like crap with the amount of arch that will be necessary to get 4" while maintaing the spring under.

Bear
08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
The rear axle is just the housing, basically put on the truck for transport, just need a new third with gears etc. and it is good to go.

the rear leaf, is basically only on the truck with one bolt. Again it is on there more for transport on a trailer than anything else. The complete suspension needs to be reattached.

We are going to do a spring over suspension with the 4" lift, the shackes have already been reversed, but I am thinking of putting them back under the cab in the front. This is going to be a trail rig, but a daily driver for one of my kids so I want the shackles back under the cab for better street manors. But no, I can't stand spring under suspensions for some of the same factors you mentioned. It won't stay spring under for long! one of the first things being changed!

We forumlated a rough game plan for this project over the weekend.

First step is to completely strip the frame and get it coated. It is in great shape now, and I want it to stay that way. Then I am going to do the suspension, then motor & drivetrain, (so be prepared) put the body back on (after paint) then possibly work on interior or just hit the trails at that point!

We don't have a solid time table, but let's just say this is basically for Cub#2 and he is 13 years old so we have at least three years before he is completely driving on the streets. I guess you could say that is the furthest point of our time frame.

Full_Tilt_Fud
08-13-2007, 11:39 AM
the spring over itself will give you 4"......if you go 4" on top of that the thing is gonna be REALLY tall.......not good for begining driver (or anything that will be wheeled for that matter)

Bear
08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I know what you mean, but it is hard to explain (you know how my mind works backwards sometimes). But we got it figured out.

I appreciate the heads up though!

NEV2DEP
08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
that is :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:
congrats on the new addition

Bear
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks Joe! and to think, I am already out of the dog house on this one:D

I just had to promise to finish the BMW before we started work on this one!:mad:

Know anyone with a spare M30 motor laying around? I for the life of me, can't find the motivation to rebuild the one we have, I, keep eyeing parts for the FJ and my taco!

So how is your rig? you looked pretty bummed riding shot gun in Harlan.

keynote22
08-13-2007, 03:33 PM
sexy as heck. Nothin purtier than one of those. Alway been on my top list of favorites along with a fully rebuilt 2 door scout or a defender. Course the FJ will probably out last em all. Nice find and a heck of a project for a father son team.

Bear
08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
sexy as heck. Nothin purtier than one of those. Alway been on my top list of favorites along with a fully rebuilt 2 door scout or a defender.

My daughter found a scout II that she wants. so I might have a scout taking up driveway space as well. The scout runs but needs some "car chemo" if you know what I mean.

I am not sure what is happening lately, but all of a sudden it seems like I have more projects to start than I ever expected to do in a life time!

I must be getting either stupid or crazy in my old age! Probably both!

keynote22
08-14-2007, 07:02 AM
eh. I have all my cars up for sale pending my new addition. All my new toys will be brightly colored plastic I guess.

http://www.pregnancycheck.com/img/pregnancy-ultrasound-30-weeks.jpg

Bear
08-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Well congradulations!

I am guessing this is your first? Otherwise you would have figured out by now, that you can still have your toys in addition to the baby's! yours will just be fewer but more expensive, while the baby's will be more plentiful and scattered throught the house.LOL

keynote22
08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
yup. my first. due in late sept. little girl. Guess I need to go gets me a shotgun to chase off all the crumb bums in a few years.

Bear
08-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Saw Zall works better! I speak from experience! If a Saw Zall is not available, any power tool that is used to cut with will surfice!:D

Also can use the threat of a "Texas zipper"! you have heard of the term "Columbian Neck Tie"? Well a Texas zipper is similar, but you threaten to weld their zipper up with them still in their pants! It helps if the punk knows nothing of welding! You first ask him if he knows how hot metal has to be before it liquifies, then let him know the temperature is 1600 and then ask him what he thinks will happen to his member if you put that much heat in the general area! Because if he doesn't keep it behind the zipper and the zipper up around your daughter, you are going to weld the metal zipper shut with him inside his pants! My daughter hates bring boys over to meet me, but I don't understand why:rolleyes:

But you can say all my kid's friends call me "Sir" :D and it doesn't matter that most of them are 7 feet taller than me either!

Septmember is a good month! congrat again!

NEV2DEP
08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
My daughter found a scout II that she wants. so I might have a scout taking up driveway space as well. The scout runs but needs some "car chemo" if you know what I mean.

my brother's daughter told him the other day she wants a 1978 4X4 Ford Pick-Up and she is only 14:eek:

Bear
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I would rather the kids aspire to drive 4x4's than ricers!

I have been through it all with our two oldest. I guess I have done something right though. they both like either muscle cars or 4x4's. Which is exactly what I have always liked.

and who says kids don't listen anymore?????

If I was your brother, I would start secretly searching for the 78 and probing the daughter for details that she might want in the truck. That is what I did with my two.

NEV2DEP
08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
I would rather the kids aspire to drive 4x4's than ricers!

I have been through it all with our two oldest. I guess I have done something right though. they both like either muscle cars or 4x4's. Which is exactly what I have always liked.

and who says kids don't listen anymore?????

If I was your brother, I would start secretly searching for the 78 and probing the daughter for details that she might want in the truck. That is what I did with my two.

he already has and ask me if i was gonna contribute i said sure i'll detail it when you get it or help you wrench:D

Bear
08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
there you go! the correct answer from any "noble" uncle!

Last time I went back home, I ended up having to do body work on my nephews car. It supposedly had been in the condition it was in for the last year or so. All I had to do was loosen one fender bolt and get physical with the lip of the fender in the gap. had the door opening perfectly in less than 5 minutes.

keynote22
08-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I have been using subliminal messages on my daughter. I whisper to her at night... rat mustache and mullet is bad. Thick glasses and computer is good. I'll introduce pictures when she's out.

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~marshall/reference-mullet.jpg
Bad

http://www.sg.hu/kep/2001_09/bill_gates_hir0930_01.jpg
GOOD!

I figure I just need to teach her how to attract the money (or make it) and then I'll be set to live out my "depends" years in hawaii or something. Oh yes. She will be a daddy's girl and want to take care of me with her wealth.

Bear
08-14-2007, 02:07 PM
:rofl:

Our youngest has already decided that she is going to go to Harvard, be a criminal attorney and put her parents up in a mansion where ever she decides to practice law. This was her "golden plan" since she was 5 years old! :D

Cub #2 was going to be a ball player, and a firefighter, and in his spare time race NASCAR. he was going to build his mom a mansion in every state that he raced in.

I am holding out on hope with Cub #3 :cool:

my kids and their friends think I am just crazy enough to uphold my threats! so the "boyfriend" front is safe for the time being, at least I like to keep myself fooled believing that!