: "Americana" dieing in Central Indiana

Bear
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
As some may know or realize, I am somewhat old school! I can't stand "flat billers" hate rap music, and detest ricers! but I digress.

When my wife and I started dating, I took her and the three kids to a drive-in movie back home to expose the kids to what it used to be like when I was a kid. Saturday night, stop at the hamburger/pizza stand, grab a "to-go" dinner and eat it on the hood of my parents car watching a double feature at the movies!

Well the kids loved it! the last thing I had to do was take Cub #1 to the drive-in's the night before driving to our new home up here.

Low and behold we found the Clarmont drive-in and the kids were in heaven again. Yet this drive-in was actually a better example of "Americana" than the one back home, as the Clarmont only has two screens, a cheap concession stand and an actual playground at the base of the main screen! The family loves going every weekend during the season.

Well I had hoped to make it a club night thing where we could go as an InTTORA group every so often. But here lies the problem.

Some politican with all their infinite wisdom decided to pull the rug out from under the management by use of "immenent domain" laws. Which means the little family owned Drive-in will no longer exist after this season. ( I am not going to go into all the politics here)

Anyway. there are two weekends left before they close down forever. I would like to make a strong showing of InTTORA on one of those remaining 6 nights. How does a "night at the drive-ins" sound to everyone?

We can take up the last row of speakers with Toyotas! the only thing is they do not allow BBQ's or fires, so food will either be bought there, or brought in. I am not sure if Adult beverages are allowed as I have always just gone with the kiddos and had no desire or need for them while watching personally.

So what say yee? do we make it an InTTORA night before one of the great American traditions closes down? If we get enough interest, I'll post a night in the events section, but we need to decide quickly in this thread. I'll try and figure out what movies will be showing and when. (Transformers was awesome on the larger than life screen)

brinner
08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
:mad: f-ing lame.....im a grad student and a self-proclaimed lab rat hermit crab......and i still would make time in my schedule to do this.....but then again, ive ACTUALLY been to a drive-in......dude......take your significant other (if ya have one, if ya dont just take some random chic or a good magazine ) and i promise it will be alot better than in a theatre.......you can even cuss at the screen....the good news....nobody will care cause your in your own car. Also, lets say you decide to sit in the fresh air under the stars (damn, i think i just got half chub) and watch the movie......imagine the amount of leg room you'll have compared to the theatre...............Im tellin' ya, theatres are for whiny little high schoolers who tell their friends that their car sounds like shit and draw on themselves with pens....:D ...Drive-in's Rock......even if the movie sucks, its a way to get out of the house/apt. and do something.

:end rant:

Hoss
08-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Americana is dying. There is the remains of a drive-in theater no more than 1/2 mile from my house. It is right next to my neighborhood. Went there almost my whole life.

They tore it down to build a new fire station last summer. A town with merely 30K people, and we have like 5 fire stations now and no drive-in. Sucks. My little girls will never get to experience a drive-in and that kinda pisses me off a little.

BTW, Bear, when was the last time you were in a 5 and dime, a jewlery store or a phamacy that had a small cafe or soda shop in the rear of the building? Been a looong time for me, and one of my most cherished childhood memories is of my Grandmother taking me to these type of cafes for a burger and a cherry coke. Yet another piece of Americana my children will likely never get to experience.

keynote22
08-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Im in for sure! Not many drive in theaters or restaurants left. :(

I was pleased to see that a guy down the street from me took his projector and had a drive in theater on his garage door. A bunch of people set up folding chairs. It was pretty cool.

keynote22
08-14-2007, 06:17 AM
one of my most cherished childhood memories is of my Grandmother taking me to these type of cafes for a burger and a cherry coke. Yet another piece of Americana my children will likely never get to experience.

Oh hell ya. there was a walgreens in lafayette square that served the best grilled cheese and cherry cokes. Now I think its a methadone clinic.

Hoss
08-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Im in for sure! Not many drive in theaters or restaurants left. :(

I was pleased to see that a guy down the street from me took his projector and had a drive in theater on his garage door. A bunch of people set up folding chairs. It was pretty cool.

That is an awesome idea.

Oh hell ya. there was a walgreens in lafayette square that served the best grilled cheese and cherry cokes. Now I think its a methadone clinic.

LOL, A Methadone clinic! That is classic. What a perfect metaphor for our devolving society over the past 30 years. From soda shop to methadone clinic.

Bear
08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Americana is dying. …
BTW, Bear, when was the last time you were in a 5 and dime, a jewlery store or a phamacy that had a small cafe or soda shop in the rear of the building? Been a looong time for me, and one of my most cherished childhood memories is of my Grandmother taking me to these type of cafes for a burger and a cherry coke. Yet another piece of Americana my children will likely never get to experience.…Well there used to be a pharmacy in a "township" within my old stomping grounds back south that made the WORLDS BEST MALTS AND MILKSHAKES. The last I heard it was still up and running, but being choked out by chain stores and strip malls.

I see 5& dimes all the time as we drive through little towns in our area, but haven't stopped in one in a long while.

I don't think we will be heading out to the drive-ins this weekend,as a group. But when we do, you are more than welcome to bring the family up with you to join us.

LOL, A Methadone clinic! That is classic. What a perfect metaphor for our devolving society over the past 30 years. From soda shop to methadone clinic.I am considering this as my new sig quote! rings very true!

Bear
08-15-2007, 07:21 AM
bump…need to stir some interest in this event!
DC this is a perfect event for you! I expect you there!:D

Fuod
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
bump…need to stir some interest in this event!
DC this is a perfect event for you! I expect you there!:D

Sounds like a blast! I LOVE drive-ins!

Check out this link (http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?status_op=open&zipcode=46032&search.x=8&search.y=10), luckily there are still other surviving drive-ins in Indiana.

Bear
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
yup! I have seen that link before! I/we enjoyed the Clarmont because it is 5 minutes away from the house, has the 1950's feel to it and is small (2 screens)

but I am going to need to find a new place to hang out at! the kids and wife really did enjoy going to this one!

ohio03trdtaco
08-15-2007, 10:11 AM
There is a couple drive in's left here in Ohio. One is about 20-30 minutes from my house and we have been a couple of times this year. We just set up chairs in the back of the Taco and watch the movie. I love the place because you get to see 2 movies for about 14 bucks for 2 people + what ever food. There is a $5 fee if you bring in food. BTW I wouldn't imagine them letting adult beverages in do to liability, I know the one here doesn't.

Bear
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM
bump to keep the idea fresh! poll closes tomorrow around 3 pm

Sweendogie
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
drive in movie sounds great... i could go if i dont work

Bear
08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
So you do live and breath!!!!!! I was thinking about you the other day!

back on topic! I am thinking Saturday night! I'll make a formal post later this afternoon!

Sweendogie
08-20-2007, 09:58 PM
i was actually thinking about going this past weekend with a bunch of my friends but ended up going to the movies in plainfield... i work saturday but not sure when so ill get back with you guys