: Club Picnic/Wheeling

RedRunnertc
08-13-2007, 11:13 PM
So, we missed it last year. The idea is a stock friendly trail, hopefully with some stuff for bigger rigs to play on, have some food and socializing, then return.

Thoughts?

As of 9/27
Bill More lake seems to be pretty central to everyone. It is right near the US 40 Berthoud Pass exit off of I-70.

It is an easy trail with some moderate optional obstacles.

Linky to info about Bill Moore Lake: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=12

And the meeting spot is: Downieville Exit 234 IIRC is where the Starbuck, Conoco, and Burger King are at...

CB channel 7 My cell (molly) is seven 2 zero - 933 - three zero seven one. Be there at 11:00.

We will then go to Tommy Knockers Brewery in Idaho springs afterwards for chow. It is just easier than trying to coordinate all the food in case the weather turns bad. (No fun grilling while it snows). I promise next year we'll do the picnic when we can actually picnic!

The trail will be easy, with hopefully some boulders to play on for those of us who want more of a challenge.... We want everyone to be able to come! This day is about hanging with each other not as much about doing a rough trail!

dr350jja
08-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Sounds good to me, I would be interested.

march2304
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah sounds good. When and where? Weekends are good up until September for me. :D I need help with my rear ARB we doing a wrenching day anytime soon?

spindleshanks
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I agree we need a picnic, but we could also use a HUGE Wrenchathon!

mayhem
08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Sounds good, I haven't been to one in 2 years...

RedRunnertc
08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
When and where?

That's kinda what I was asking for thoughts about.

I think the coolest would be for the Front Range guys to come up one side and the west slope guys up the other side of a pass, meet at the top, hang out and then everyone go their way back.

Prodigy
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I would say Wyoming but hey what can a guy do!

I wont be available untl the end of Septamber so.. you guys come up with something and I will do my best to join!

fjcruzer
08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Weston Pass / Mosquito Pass? Kinda hard to find one in the middle.

thefatkid
08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Wheeler lake? Little too hard for those with no experience I would think, either way I have to ride my quads if I want to join.

jarboarder1
08-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I would love to get together and wheel and have a pick nick. Just tell me where.

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 01:10 AM
I am sort of thinking after Moab all... Some of us have so much prep to do...

What about the 1st weekend in October. Yes we are gambling with the weather (We can always have a back up beer place - LOL)

I say we plan a picnic and then a wrench-a-thon seperatly. Wrench-a-thon might be more apros-pos before Moab.

march2304
08-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I am sort of thinking after Moab all... Some of us have so much prep to do...

What about the 1st weekend in October. Yes we are gambling with the weather (We can always have a back up beer place - LOL)

I say we plan a picnic and then a wrench-a-thon seperatly. Wrench-a-thon might be more apros-pos before Moab.

Interesting notion you propose. Might be better after moab. I still need to get the ARB, compressor and rock lights in before Sept. :saw:

colorado125
08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I was thinking maybe georgetown/idaho springs (so so on half way) and hard cores can do like spring creek or something, and others can do argentine pass, yankee hill area, etc. And plenty of places to have a picnic, or even just get a dinner in idaho springs depending on how things go.

Jacket
08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
If its in October, the picnic will probably need to be at/around/near the trailhead rather than the top of the pass - Brrrrr.

I like the Mosquito/Wheeler idea (picnic at Montgomery Res), although both could have snow by October. Idaho Springs area would give a few options and works for me too.

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Hmm David - your idea of Argentine is really good too... That is a lot more local (for most everyone) as well. What about the weekend AFTER labor day. That might work for everyone. Then we can decide on Georgetown for Argentine or Misquiteo pass.

No need to do a hard trail This is about having all of cottora together!

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Sept 8/9 is free for me right now...

Jade
08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Subscribing....

RedRunnertc
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Subscribing....

but no input? Come on Jade - this isn't the time to be all Zen and quiet on us! (save that for the 'wheeling!) :)

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
I say we push for Sept 8/th/9th ;) The weather will be tolerable AND hopefully the most of us can make it No?

march2304
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Damn cant make that. Working days Sat and Sun. May be able to get it switched but not likely being that i am taking time off to go to Moab.

spindleshanks
08-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Can't make it. Maybe 15th 16th?

march2304
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Doesnt look like ill be able to make any weekend before Moab. August looks good but not this weekend. Dont know when ill have time to put the ARB locker in.

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Well sell my shorts and call me shirly! Looks like we better plan for october!

fjcruzer
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Well Shirley, it's better weather then anyway! Little rain, little snow, mud, leaves, gets dark early... Besides, we'll be needing to celebrate Kat's official passing of the bar after she gets the result October 5th!

Lysmachia
08-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Well Shirley, it's better weather then anyway! Little rain, little snow, mud, leaves, gets dark early... Besides, we'll be needing to celebrate Kat's official passing of the bar after she gets the result October 5th!

True dat for Kat!!!

Prodigy
08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for a Wyoming Run!

Jade
08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
but no input? Come on Jade - this isn't the time to be all Zen and quiet on us! (save that for the 'wheeling!) :)I don't get my schedule more than a week in advance....this way I can at least get email notes so I don't feel left out and if I'm free, I can BE THERE!!

march2304
08-16-2007, 02:05 AM

Yeah a wyoming run would be fun.

mayhem
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I was thinking maybe georgetown/idaho springs (so so on half way) and hard cores can do like spring creek or something, and others can do argentine pass, yankee hill area, etc. And plenty of places to have a picnic, or even just get a dinner in idaho springs depending on how things go.

X2

spindleshanks
08-17-2007, 04:40 PM
indeed

stagecoachco
08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Doesnt look like ill be able to make any weekend before Moab. August looks good but not this weekend. Dont know when ill have time to put the ARB locker in.

Come to Steamboat next weekend for a wrench-a-thon. We can put your Locker in, fix Erics CV, and put in my Inchworm.

Avsfreak1234
08-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I like the whole idea but the later the better...mid october?

ajax
08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
how bout pearlpass taylor pass in sept october there would be snow

spindleshanks
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I think a snow picnic would be fun. (light snow is acceptable...and I'm not so much a fan of the wind) A little snow, some serious grilling, and some wheeling. Good time to be had by all.

march2304
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Come to Steamboat next weekend for a wrench-a-thon. We can put your Locker in, fix Erics CV, and put in my Inchworm.

Bummer man i cant make it this weekend. I already have plans in Denver and Junction. Yeah i know both ends of the spectrum i dont like it either. How much of a pain is it to put in the ARB?

I think a snow picnic would be fun. (light snow is acceptable...and I'm not so much a fan of the wind) A little snow, some serious grilling, and some wheeling. Good time to be had by all.

I agree completly.

RedRunnertc
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
How much of a pain is it to put in the ARB?

Well, the compressor and the air hose wiring isn't bad.

The actual installation of the locker into the thirdmember requires setting up gears, a job best left to the pros IMHO

march2304
08-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, the compressor and the air hose wiring isn't bad.

The actual installation of the locker into the thirdmember requires setting up gears, a job best left to the pros IMHO

I agree. Ill be in Denver this weekend and next. Anyone know who would be best suited? (and the cheapest)

Martinjmpr
08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Wyoming in October? Better wear lots of blaze orange....:eek:

I'll be hunting near Laramie the first couple weeks of October (area 44 - Monolith Ranch.)

Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I'd be up for Sept 8th. Or even this weekend (Labor Day) in Summit County, since I'm not going to Moab.

Quick Draw
08-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Don't plan on Skeeter Pass in October. It's likely impassible by then. Not to mention F'in cold. Trust me, I have had to work outside it "Park City" (the community closest to the pass on the Fairplay side) in October....it ain't pretty. BTW, those of you passing through Park City, stop in and say hi at the bright green cabin just off the road, if you see a Tacoma parked there.

colorado125
09-15-2007, 10:16 AM
So where we at with this?? I'd at least like to do a club dinner or something. Jeremey's brother has a bar up in Loveland that he said he can book a band, give us 20% off our bill etc. So that may be a possibility.

00regcab
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
How about Mill Creek

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=105

with camping/cooking/hanging out the night after that run

then

bill more lake the following day

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=12

Both trails are lower elevation, so weather should be pretty good, and if we do it the last weekend of september/first weekend of october, the aspens should be peaking... lots of good photo-ops!

march2304
09-16-2007, 02:20 PM
How about Mill Creek

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=105

with camping/cooking/hanging out the night after that run

then

bill more lake the following day

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=12

Both trails are lower elevation, so weather should be pretty good, and if we do it the last weekend of september/first weekend of october, the aspens should be peaking... lots of good photo-ops!

I see some great mud pits im all over that one!!!

If not a trail run how about a brewery tour and dinner?

00regcab
09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
could always throw in the brewery in idaho springs or something on top of the weekend.

drive up, wheel saturday, camp saturday night
break camp, wheel sunday, hit idaho springs for dinner/beer that night, head home

fjcruzer
09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I see some great mud pits im all over that one!!!

If not a trail run how about a brewery tour and dinner?

Have you ordered those spare pulleys yet???

matt and erin
09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
could always throw in the brewery in idaho springs or something on top of the weekend.

drive up, wheel saturday, camp saturday night
break camp, wheel sunday, hit idaho springs for dinner/beer that night, head home
i agree with this one, i still think idaho springs is a good central location.

mayhem
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
TC, I might have missed something (I'm not here often) but we are running out of time to make something happen. Think you could just post dates (preferably one) and get the ball rolling before it's too late to make it happen?

AxleIke
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, dates please!

00regcab
09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I'll throw out ideas for dates...

Saturday/Sunday October 13/14 if we do the overnight thing?

Prodigy
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
T/C is in Moab this week in case you are wondering why he is not responding quickly.

matt and erin
09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I'll throw out ideas for dates...

Saturday/Sunday October 13/14 if we do the overnight thing?
sounds like a good date to have it, i can make the sat night stuff, just not during the day

RedRunnertc
09-23-2007, 12:52 PM
So what are people's thoughts about Idaho Springs type area on Oct 13/14?

jarboarder1
09-23-2007, 05:05 PM
So what are people's thoughts about Idaho Springs type area on Oct 13/14?

I think it sounds good.
Its not the hardest wheeling but for an overnight camping/pick nick kinda thing Devils Canyon is sweet and close to Idaho Springs( you can check out pics in the past events).

spindleshanks
09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
That might work for me.

ajax
09-23-2007, 08:19 PM
how bout something in the middle so us western people dont have to drive for 4 hrs to get there?
imagene
pearl
taylor
mosquito

matt and erin
09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
if we do something near the vail area, i can most likely get us a reduced tab at a bar up there. also there will be people commin from fort collins and south of the springs so we don't want to go too far west either

00regcab
09-23-2007, 10:00 PM
vail is a long drive for us on the front range, ive made vail in 3 hours, in my car, pushing it the whole way... i couldnt even imagine in my truck at 30-40mph all the way up over eisenhower, and vail pass.

I know theres alot around the idaho springs/george town area (wheeler lake, yankee hill, bill moore lake, mill creek, just to name a few), but as previously mentioned, it IS closer to those on the front range.

Not trying to be... biased, i guess you could say, towards those of us on the front range, nor am i trying to exclude ANYBODY as i completely understand the meet in the middle most location as possible, and i AGREE with it, however, maybe we should gear the location accordingly with where the majority of the group will be traveling from?

Im open to whatever, above timberline trails towards the middle of october may prove to be hard to pass due to snow, dependent on how the weather goes for the next few weeks.

AxleIke
09-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Wheeler lake is over hoosier pass past breckenridge, it isn't too close to idaho springs.

Those dates are no go for me. If everyone else is good for that weekend, then gravy, no worries. I'll be out slipping around in search of the elusive wapiti.

hanksyota
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
devil's canyon like jared mentioned is a good one in idaho springs. there is a big area where we could party like its 1999. plenty of camping spots, it just gets a little chilly at 10400. especially mid october. i think we'd be looking at snow. and it might even be closed for elk calving, i'll look into it. im down for whatever and wherever. whatever produces the biggest turnout.

Prodigy
09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
devil's canyon like jared mentioned is a good one in idaho springs. there is a big area where we could party like its 1999. plenty of camping spots, it just gets a little chilly at 10400. especially mid october. i think we'd be looking at snow. and it might even be closed for elk calving, i'll look into it. im down for whatever and wherever. whatever produces the biggest turnout.
Elk calve in the spring!

I am good for where ever whenever.

Jacket
09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I could do something the 13th, but the 14th is out for me. Idaho Springs sounds fine - lots of trails in the area.

hanksyota
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Elk calve in the spring!

I am good for where ever whenever.

yeah, i had no idea when they closed it. its closed ?-june 15th. jarboarder and i were the first ones to run it this year. bust through a drift, a little scarier on the way uphill. didnt think about that one. oh well, we made it. so yeah, i guess we should be fine if we do it soon. its right by mt evans for those who dont know.

Prodigy
09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
My only request is to do this on a Saturday.

fjcruzer
09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
:2cents:

I work Friday night until 4am, then Saturday from 5pm to 4am (my last day...) Sunday I pack up the last of my stuff and drive to my new home in Denver! So I don't see any wheeling that weekend, but if dinner works out on Sunday evening, I might be able to stop by...

00regcab
09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
i dont think the dates (oct 13 and 14) are set in stone yet, i threw them out there since i figured it would be about the right time, maybe a little snow to play in at higher altitudes, but not TOO cold at lower altitudes just yet... the following weekend might be pushing it a little, that just means ill have to bring a girl with me to help keep that sleeping bag warm! :D :p

march2304
09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I cant do either of those days. Im workin. Still waiting on word form Arvada but nothing yet. So thus far stil here in Aspen. Ill play it all by ear

numb_fingers
09-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow, what a let down, I read through all those posts to the end to find out there isn't even a date set? It's only getting colder...:rolleyes:

Lysmachia
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh geeze. I'll make Troy pick the date tonight and we'll post it on the first post too! - Maybe even make an official post!

00regcab
09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
as long as its a weekend im good, if its during the week ill need at least 3 weeks advanced notice to get the days off. But dont let that stop you on dates, if i cant make it, i cant make it... whatever works best to get the largest group.

thefatkid
09-26-2007, 09:11 PM
I might be able to make this. My alcans showed up and I'm going to try to get the runner torn down and fixed soon. Just need more money and time.

Can you do a COTTORA e-mailer Molly? Let everyone know?

Quick Draw
09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I Just need more money and time.

Don't we all?

I just got a TRD axle....and had the sudden realization that I can't put it in until I can pay for a regear, which I cannot afford at all right now....and hell, while I'm tearing the back end apart, new leafs....and if I'm going to get new leafs, why not just lift the whole damn thing? So that comes to.....hundreds of dollars I will never have....to buy parts that I will never have time to install...damn.

Lysmachia
09-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah.... Wheeling....

You will BREAK... and you will go BROKE!

00regcab
09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Don't we all?

I just got a TRD axle....and had the sudden realization that I can't put it in until I can pay for a regear, which I cannot afford at all right now....and hell, while I'm tearing the back end apart, new leafs....and if I'm going to get new leafs, why not just lift the whole damn thing? So that comes to.....hundreds of dollars I will never have....to buy parts that I will never have time to install...damn.

you can pass that axle onto me :D or at least the 3rd member

i get a raise on the 1st

:dancing: :boobies: :woot:

more money to spend on my addictions...
car and truck

Quick Draw
09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Lol the 3rd memeber won't do jack for you...You gotta get the whole thing. But sure...you can have it....for say...$1200...:D

00regcab
09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
i dont need the whole thing, a few little basic mods will fit that 3rd member fine ;)

twice what you paid for it? :lmao: theres people selling the full axles for $500-$700 locally, why would i do that :p

ziggy428
09-27-2007, 08:08 PM
would be good for me. They say a boat is just a hole to throw money into, and a rock crawler? its like my friends bulldog, it just eats everything.:rofl:

Lysmachia
09-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I might be able to make this. My alcans showed up and I'm going to try to get the runner torn down and fixed soon. Just need more money and time.

Can you do a COTTORA e-mailer Molly? Let everyone know?

I do believe we can.... I need to see how though. LOL

Lysmachia
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
OK So Saturday the 13th is it. Trail hass yet TBD BUT it will be within 50 miles of golden. Hows that for vague??? We will actually decide on a trail soon but we will need to be flexible about start time and trail if the weather changes.

If it snows we will still meet at a cool place in Denver like Dave and Busters or something....

thefatkid
09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Make it easy, I'll only have the wifes 92 3.4l auto OME lift.

My truck will not be done in 3 weekends

Lysmachia
09-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh it will be easy, with hopefully some boulders to play on for those of us who want more of a challange.... We want everyone to be able to come! This day is about hanging with each other not as much about doing a rough trail!

00regcab
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
so were going for a single day? works for me!

there are quite a few trails close to golden...

im interested to see where this goes :)

thefatkid
09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I'll throw out Bill More Lake, it is easy, nice lake at the top to have "linner" or lunch depending on the start time and amount of spotting needed.

ziggy428
09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
something easy near boulder sounds good to me. left hand is good for stock vehicles too in some places but i've been up there way too much. then I could bring my dog and not get that look like I'm going to puke on you if you don't let me out.

Quick Draw
09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
something easy near boulder sounds good to me. left hand is good for stock vehicles too in some places but i've been up there way too much. then I could bring my dog and not get that look like I'm going to puke on you if you don't let me out.

Lol I know that look. :rofl: My dog threw up in my bro's pathfinder...it was terrible...but at the first smell we both went "What smells like bacon?" Snausages, and a crazy driver (my brother) really don't mix too well.

Prodigy
09-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm in

Lysmachia
09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm in You bettah be - that's why we picked Saturday!

So if we did a lefthand run how many of you could make it VS maybe argentine pass near goeorgetown.

We need to figure out where we are going. LOL

Prodigy you have a place to stay either night BTW...

00regcab
09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Yankee hill/kingston peak are idaho springs area...

just an idea?

RedRunnertc
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
So we've got recommendations for
Bill Moore Lake
Yankee Hill
Lefthand
Argentine

Thoughts from the Western slope folks?

ziggy428
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I just did Argentine today and its going to get real snowy real quick! You can't make it to the top because of the light snow, even with lockers and 33's you're still spinning wheels and plowing with the wheels cranked. I probably wouldn't try it with my chains and paddles because of the drop off. The mines was cool though. Pretty sure I'd be able to go, I'd vote Lefthand or Yankee Hill.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/zeke10148/2007_09309-1-20070090.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/zeke10148/2007_09309-1-20070044.jpg

Lysmachia
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
How much snow was "sticking around" on argentine. You mentioned plowing... So that seems to mean several inches permanent already (not that I am surprised...) LOL

mayhem
10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
How much snow was "sticking around" on argentine. You mentioned plowing... So that seems to mean several inches permanent already (not that I am surprised...) LOL

There was enough to start sliding off the trail near the top of the shelf road. But my best guess would be 6-8 inches of accumulation on the mountain side of the trail and it got steadily worse as you headed to the summit... it was really to dangerous to do it in my vehicle.

Lysmachia
10-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for letting us know... strike trails above 10K....

Wildturkee
10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I like the bill more lake idea...but might be too high in altitude. Left hand is getting old, even though i have only been 2x this year...and too many people on that trail just a thought. did carnage last weekend and there were close to 20 vehicals at the top

numb_fingers
10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I need to know time and location soon. Many thanks

Lysmachia
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Bill More lake seems to be pretty central to everyone. It is right near the US 40 Berthoud Pass exit off of I-70.

It seems to be an easy trail. (I have never run it)

What do folks think about Bill Moore lake at 11:00 saturday oct 13. This will give folks time to get there.

Linky to info about Bill Moore Lake: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=12

What do you all think?

It is decided this is the trail we'll do - see post number one for final instructions!

taco4life
10-03-2007, 11:47 AM
is this just a day run? if so im in

ziggy428
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
woohoo..I like it. I'm 80% sure I'll be there.

numb_fingers
10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds good to me

taco4life
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
woohoo..I like it. I'm 80% sure I'll be there.

do you want to leave at the same time?

Lysmachia
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
is this just a day run? if so im in

Is is just a day run. If the weather is bad we will meet up in Idaho springs and have a big ole feast at Tommyu Knockers brewery. If it is good then we do the run and eat at tommy knockers afterwards. I anticipate we'll do the run either way :D

Oh and the trail is an up and back I think so if anyone needs to get off and go back early they can...

mayhem
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

It seems to be an easy trail. (I have never run it)

What do folks think about Bill Moore lake at 11:00 saturday oct 13. This will give folks time to get there.

What do you all think?

It's pretty easy I've run it 2x's and you don't need sliders with 3 inches of lift...

matt and erin
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
not quite sure if i can make the run, but is there a guestamate on about a time for tommyknockers afterwards?

Wildturkee
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
im so there....god im so happy i got road kill back running:xcrazy:

Lysmachia
10-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Well if we start at 11:00 I have no idea how long it will be but my guess is 4:00 at Tommy's??? Am I too far off base sam?

Jacket
10-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I may not be able to make this. My father-in-law is in town that weekend from Friday - Monday, and I don't know if I'll be able to slip away. Mark me down as tentative.

thefatkid
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Well if we start at 11:00 I have no idea how long it will be but my guess is 4:00 at Tommy's??? Am I too far off base sam?

Should be ok...... I don't think much spotting is needed. A quick pace but doable.

Wildturkee
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
its been a long time sence ive been there but i think 4 pm at knockers is a good gestimate, as long as there is no major brakeage. the trail is only 5 miles long, but there are a few places to ck out on the way up/down. there are 2 other trails that can also be ran, one is a loop (mill creek) and the other drops you off down by I70 east of the us 40 exit (Red Elephant Hill). So if on our way down we have extra time we can also run those trails. The top is 11,000 + feet so snow is to be expected.
Also if there are any one going that needs a seat i will have 3 extra. one up front and 2 in back sence the g/f and kid are not coming, they have prior araingements

Wildturkee
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
How about a meeting spot. The Conoco in Dumont is close that is my sugestion. io dont recall there be any place to park on the us 40 exit

ziggy428
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM

sounds good to me.

00regcab
10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
How about a meeting spot. The Conoco in Dumont is close that is my sugestion. io dont recall there be any place to park on the us 40 exit

we could meet at the top of berthoud pass, theres that ski resort parking area there (not winter park)...

or do we not need to go that far?

or am i thinking of the completely wrong highway? haha

Quick Draw
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
we could meet at the top of berthoud pass, theres that ski resort parking area there (not winter park)...

Yep, Berthoud Pass is on 40... But if I stop on the top of Berthoud, I'm sure as hell not going to want to do anything but ski!! I guess there won't be much snow yet then....damn... After looking at the traildamage, that's too far, though. We only need to go to Empire. How about the meeting place TD suggests, or just Empire itself?

Wildturkee
10-04-2007, 10:40 PM
problem with going into Empire is there is not much for parking, it is a small town. if we meet in Dumont at the Conoco there is plenty of parking to chat while waiting for otheres to show, there is gas there to top off the tanks with, a Starbucks for those of us who need a wake up call, and a Burger king for those who have not had breakfast.Also it is not far form the trail head and easy to find.

Wildturkee
10-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Oh thats way too far....correct highway, just futher than you need to go

RedRunnertc
10-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Do you mean Downieville Sam? Exit 234 IIRC is where the Starbuck, Conoco, and Burger King are at...

Wildturkee
10-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Do you mean Downieville Sam? Exit 234 IIRC is where the Starbuck, Conoco, and Burger King are at...

Yes DOWNIEVILLE, i have allwas thought of it as dumont, because of the weighstation...from driving trucks, but yes EXIT 234. I stand corrected

AxleIke
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I will not be there. I will be traipsing around the woods with high powered weaponry looking for wapiti. Have fun!

I am bummed I am missing tommyknockers. That is the one place i don't drink booze, because I cannot get enough of their soda. Best stuff ever.

march2304
10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Im trying really hard to get that day off. I think that i am the only one left on the western slope at this point. Ill bring the snow shovel!!!! I cant believe i need it already! :saw:

spindleshanks
10-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm gonna order the beer sampler like three times!

fjcruzer
10-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow! It sure would be cool to cap off my last day after 9.5 years with this run, but since it's my last day... I'll be working :mad:

00regcab
10-06-2007, 03:45 AM
Wow! It sure would be cool to cap off my last day after 9.5 years with this run, but since it's my last day... I'll be working :mad:

eh, its your last day, who cares? haha j/k j/k

ya i thought berthoud pass was a little far, but hey... it was a suggestion/idea.

Prodigy
10-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Anyone plan on staying the night in Idaho Springs?

Wildturkee
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Prodigy, I live just off of I-25 and 120th you are welcome to follow me home and crash ost my place if it is to far of a drive home or too late. il pm u my #

Lysmachia
10-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Anyone plan on staying the night in Idaho Springs?

No but the after party after 3 beer samplers is at the house of wrenching! (You can stay with us Prodigy)

And the meeting spot is: Downieville Exit 234 IIRC is where the Starbuck, Conoco, and Burger King are at...

CB channel 7 My cell is seven 2 zero - 933 - three zero seven one. Be there at 11:00.
Who's in BTW? Looks like we have a good crew! Mayhem... you gonna make it?

march2304
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Well im irritated. I have tried really hard to get the day off but no luck. :mad: Looks like im outa luck. Knowing me i will try up until the last minute. But doesnt look good. BBQ at my place when i am all moved in at my Brighton house!

numb_fingers
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm in

Wildturkee
10-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Well im irritated. I have tried really hard to get the day off but no luck. :mad: Looks like im outa luck. Knowing me i will try up until the last minute. But doesnt look good. BBQ at my place when i am all moved in at my Brighton house!

Call in DEAD that day it allways works, you get weird looks monday, but it works:D

spindleshanks
10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm def in!

Yay.

thefatkid
10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I'll be in my wifes truck. This jackass right here has not fixed his truck yet.

Lysmachia
10-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I'll be in my wifes truck. This jackass right here has not fixed his truck yet.

It does not matter what truck you bring... just bring yer-self! (and t he wife too!!)

jarboarder1
10-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I will be there! Im pretty sure mat(85xtracab) an my lil brother will be riding along as well.:D

Lysmachia
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
At the end of our club run at Tommy Knockers in Idaho springs while sampling the sample platter of brews... I am bringing a calender so we can schedule projects at the H.O.W (House Of Wrenching). So bring your ideas!

taco4life
10-09-2007, 01:13 PM
im in and im bringin a buddy along too! just ordered a CB should be in by friday!

Prodigy
10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
H.O.W Going to be open on Friday night and we can install my CB?

RedRunnertc
10-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Sure - shouldn't take long. We don't have a SWR meter to tune the antenna though.

TowerRigger
10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
If you want Troy just ask Becca for the keys to my truck box. My SWR meter is in the driver side milk crate. My one tool that has got the most use out of the group.lol

Lysmachia
10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
OOH a pre-club run wrench fest. The first "official" H.O.W gig ;)

Lysmachia
10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh and Kyle... I am gonna tell becca to drive your truck for this club run. It is easy... she would do just fine! :D

Prodigy
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Sure - shouldn't take long. We don't have a SWR meter to tune the antenna though.
Sweet!
I plan on leaving a little early on Friday so will get to Longmont sometime around 8:00 ish.. Is that going to be too late? I will try and buy everything on the way all I have right now is a magnetic antenna.

Quick Draw
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Hmmm....damn.... I have a thing to go to up at CSU that day... I can't make it. What is everybody doing Sunday? I might hit up Mosquito Pass if anybody is interested...

RedRunnertc
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
There's a good CB shop at Johnson's Corner, just south of Greely - on your way I think.

00regcab
10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Ill be there.

Troy, i still gotta get together with you and talk about your sliders/bumpers, and get a layout going for mine.

Maybe i could head up friday evening and do it then? I might be staying in greeley, but we'll see. If friday doesnt work, then maybe we can plan some things out on saturday? Let me know.

BTW, all are invited. Im going to be doing jenny creek with a buddy sunday. Told him about the trail and he loves the fact most of its water, so we're going to head that way.

Mythica
10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
whats the camping like in that area?

Please tell me it is somewhat secluded so i can convince my bro and cuz to come up that way. Also tell me there is some good fishing up there.

Please and thanks

thefatkid
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Camping at the lake is good. There are a couple good grassy knols. I've seen plenty of people fish at the lake. I don't really fish anymore so I can't tell you if it good.

Mythica
10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
are there trees in that area or "primitive" camping areas?

My bro and I plain wont camp in an organized campground. Goes against all that we have ever known.

If there are some camping spots up in that neck of the woods, I will be going we will be leaving the springs friday morning.

I hope somsone can confirm the camping.

hanksyota
10-10-2007, 01:43 PM
i might make this one. not sure. i obviously cant drive at all, so it would be a riding only trip. anyone feel like luggin me around?

Lysmachia
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
It's all USFS and open to camping around Jenny Creek. It is all primitive. Though it looks like there is snow up there now... Just an FYI. You guys could easily head over to the Jenny Creek area (Rollinsville) from Idaho springs after the club run/dinner.

Lysmachia
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Of course we'll lug you Around Henry!

devinsixtyseven
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Dang...I wanna go, but probably not gonna make it. Maybe the next event or whatever. Gotta finish moving the old garage, ebrake cables have arrived, compressor solenoid problem must be solved, front must be regeared...

spindleshanks
10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Henry, I've got an extra seat for sure!

thefatkid
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
i might make this one. not sure. i obviously cant drive at all, so it would be a riding only trip. anyone feel like luggin me around?

I have a open seat in the 4runner

Prodigy
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Dude your hurtin my feelins..

I think your post should have been..

HEY Who the hell wants to haul the crip around? There is no need to ask you know we are here for ya.. I mean we need someone to make fun of!

Lysmachia
10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
So the weather looks to be good for saturday - 70's (well down in denver) and slight chance of rain.

ziggy428
10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
im in and im bringin a buddy along too! just ordered a CB should be in by friday!

where are you going to get your antenna from? I haven't found anywhere in town that has anything bigger than the tiny ones walmart sells.

Wildturkee
10-10-2007, 08:49 PM
where are you going to get your antenna from? I haven't found anywhere in town that has anything bigger than the tiny ones walmart sells.
Man Go to the CB shop at Johnsons corner that Troy is talking about, they got plenty, or i have 2 Frances 5' Fiberglass antennas laying around, but they will brake if you catch them on a tree branch wrong...so if you are not afraid of drilling your roof willson makes a good bottom loaded wip called the 3000 that is great, i have it mounted on my runner, i will be there on saterday so if you want to ck out how i have mine feel free to. Sam

RedRunnertc
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Or, if you're more on the SW side of town, the T/A truckstop off I70 and Ward Rd has a pretty good selection (but still only half what Johnson's Corner has)

Prodigy
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Head Count!

Prodigy = IN

hanksyota
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
yeah im in if jeremy or jared or molly/troy can pick me up saturday morning. i can pitch some gas money because im sure its out of the way for everyone. well maybe not, im right off Colfax and kipling in lakewood. whoever can take me, let me know.

Mythica
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
sorry wont make it. Could not convince my family to change corse. Maybe next time.

You all have fun and be careful.

00regcab
10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Ill pick you up henry, im probably closest to you so its not that far out of my way.

hanksyota
10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
thanks nate, im in for sure, just talked to nate on the phone he'll be picking me up saturday morning.

devinsixtyseven
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Gawd, at the beginning of the summer I was like "do you guys think I can do this (HC) with open diffs?"

Now I'm like "do you guys think I can do this in RWD, low range, maybe locked, maybe not, at 12psi on 35" tires?

The TD photos are worthless, no trail shots at all. What's the place like? I'd like to join you guys, maybe at least just for food afterward, cuz we're gonna need a break after finishing cleaning up the place where we just moved out. I'll at least bring the truck, the rear brakes are working again...

Wildturkee
10-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Im in, god cant wait till saterday morning to go wheeling....:D

taco4life
10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
im so excited for saturday! gettin the front suspension adjusted tomorrow and the CB in tomorrow....yeah!

Avsfreak1234
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Im officially out on this one guys. last soccer game of the season is saturday and possibly the last game I ever get to play. not only that, but if we win and certain other teams loose on their saturday games...PLAYOFFS! but its looking doubtful. so yall go have fun and Ill go kick some more ass!

ziggy428
10-12-2007, 07:14 PM

You said you might want to leave together: did you want to meet somewhere or should I give you a call since we close by anyway?

fjcruzer
10-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm fairly certain that as I write this you are all partaking in food and beverage in the best of company and lamenting the unofficial end of the "4WD season."

I'm happy to report that I am living vicariously through all of you while I work my last night shift and it appears that Colorado has seen fit to make it rain, snow and dip to 20 degrees just to make me certain that I'm happy to be leaving!

As I am driving to Denver from Aspen between 3:30am and 7:00am Sunday morning I will be cursing all of your names as I plow through the 5-10 inches of snow atop Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel! :D

I hope you all had a great run and good times!

spindleshanks
10-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Eric, you'll be happy to know that the Colorado weather was equally tormentuous at 12k feet elevation today. The dirt became mud at some point, and we were so close to timberline that it felt like the surface of the moon.
Your name came up a couple times. Damn shame you couldn't make it.
I'm at Molly and Troy's as a tow truck from AAA unloads RedRunner in the driveway.

More to come as Troy sees fit to relate.

Hope your transition is smooth and painless.

**edit: pic thread started in the trail report section***

Wildturkee
10-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Had a great time, got home ok, enjoying a drink now.

march2304
10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Man i know i missed a great time. Wish i could have been there. Time to plan our trip back to moab and then onto Steamboat Springs!!! Wheres the pictures?

devinsixtyseven
10-14-2007, 09:58 AM
...as a tow truck from AAA unloads RedRunner in the driveway.Uh oh...sounds like carnage. Do tell :D, was it a sudden zombie attack?

spindleshanks
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes. Zombie deer. and rabbits.

RedRunnertc
10-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Zombie pinion preload spacer eating rabbits.

Had a horrible grinding sound, checked and there was a ton of play in the pinion, tightened up the pinion nut, didn't really help. Almost all the way down, it finally locked up and we had to remove the rear driveshaft, drove down to Idaho Springs at 20MPH and called AAA after dinner.

TowerRigger
10-16-2007, 10:46 AM
If you wanted to get really wild with the fix. Like you were stranded in Africa or sumpin. You cold have taken the ring gear off. Had a 12bolt pinion bearing go out back home. The diff now resides under a puckup bead trailer with no ring gear and the pinion completely tightened down. Good trailer till I started robbing leaf springs off it for another truck. I'm hopelessly hick.

RedRunnertc
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
The thought of removing the ring gear was discussed at length...

Lysmachia
10-16-2007, 10:52 PM
But tripple AAA... already piad for sounded SOOOO much better - esp since it allowed for more beer time at Tommy Knockers. :)

TowerRigger
10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
BEER TIME!!! Now I understand.